Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Terrible away support but why?

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:32 am

Terrible away support but why?

Cardiff City

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/10/2 ... t-but-why/

I think RV casual hit the nail on the head in a different post, exactly what I was thinking. The 18-30 which usually make a huge percentage of the numbers and always have done have been lost. Sure they exist, and when they do go I have seen myself how passionate and vociferous they are. But I simply don't think enough of them follow city these days, the numbers aren't there. It's like a lost generation.

Are they getting a fix with Wales away instead? Or is it simply a numbers thing?

We can blame modern Football, TV, money all of which no doubt play a factor especially today against forest but sad to see such a Demise in a clubs away support. It wasn't that long ago, maybe 7 or 8 years we would get a 1,000 against a Watford or a Charlton on a Tuesday night let alone a Saturday.

The numbers will swell when the older generation turn up at the games they have carefully selected ( Burton ) and villa will be a sell out no doubt, but as for the bread and butter games week in week out that don't appeal then am afraid it's a sad state of affairs.

Having said all that am still amazed at the such low numbers for a Saturday game , 5.pm better than 12.30 warnocks first away and a club like forest.

No point crying more accepting. Credit to those travelling today. :thumbup:

Vince Alm Head of Cardiff City Supporters

lowest away support to forest in all the times I've been since the 76/77 season

Re: Terrible away support but why?

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:52 am

Last seasons average Championship away support 2015-16 season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:58 am

Gareth, I agree when and if all the older/diehards finally return then we will be back to the Cardiff City I grew up following with ,for me it was Tan/Red brigade and the police/Nash that killed our once great and proud away support, they might just return under Neil Warnock,because he is like us,proud,passionate and from the old days,we need Warnock to stay at least 2 years :thumbright: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:07 am

Forever Blue wrote:Gareth, I agree when and if all the older/diehards finally return then we will be back to the Cardiff City I grew up following with ,for me it was Tan/Red brigade and the police/Nash that killed our once great and proud away support, they might just return under Neil Warnock,because he is like us,proud,passionate and from the old days,we need Warnock to stay at least 2 years :thumbright: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Got to agree with you although not overly convinced that the older generation will return in large numbers for every game as lots have moved on. Warnocks passion is infectious. Results will no doubt help but the red has gone now, Trollope is gone slade has gone.

If Warnock can earn slades trust this season you will see a full on promotion assault next season. :thumbup:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:16 am

Stringfellow wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Gareth, I agree when and if all the older/diehards finally return then we will be back to the Cardiff City I grew up following with ,for me it was Tan/Red brigade and the police/Nash that killed our once great and proud away support, they might just return under Neil Warnock,because he is like us,proud,passionate and from the old days,we need Warnock to stay at least 2 years :thumbright: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Got to agree with you although not overly convinced that the older generation will return in large numbers for every game as lots have moved on. Warnocks passion is infectious. Results will no doubt help but the red has gone now, Trollope is gone slade has gone.

If Warnock can earn slades trust this season you will see a full on promotion assault next season. :thumbup:

Your right Gareth, my generation will prob now only return for 3,4 or 5 away games a season,many have moved on.

We need our fans to get that feeling back,passion,pride etc and Warnock being here will help big time :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:20 am

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/10/2 ... t-but-why/ :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:26 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

Your right Gareth, my generation will prob now only return for 3,4 or 5 away games a season,many have moved on.

We need our fans to get that feeling back,passion,pride etc and Warnock being here will help big time :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I usually do 5, I think the passion for most will return but for me it's never gone. :thumbup:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:36 am

Doesnt help these days when folk are getting nicked for sod all and god help you if you happen to get into a dust up your looking at Prison then !

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:17 am

We may as well face facts we are a small club, we have only taken large numbers away for big games. Love them or hate them but clubs like Leeds would still sell all their allocation out whether their game is televised or not, especially on a Saturday. She'd Wed brought over 1000 the other night on a Wednesday evening, you can't compare us to clubs like that I'm afraid :bluebird:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:49 am

The club have been successful with what they wanted to achieve 10 years ago.....We are a "normal" club now.

The move to the CCS, the pricing structure and stewarding, we have become a modern club. Leeds, both sheffield club, pompey still have that old school feel about them for those still reminiscent of the "glory" decades of the 70's,80's & 90's.

Football minus the trouble should have taken us back to the halcyon days of post war Britain, but its now a middle class pastime or for those lucky enough to afford it. Its a different type of passion.

Where does that group of 16~30 year old come from ? The family stand !!! Because the only way you can afford to take a kid up to last season was accompanied in the family, at 14 i was going to the city with my mates. We got in by jumping the bob bank rear gate 3 hours early :laughing6: over the grange wall (fcuking scarey) but generally asking blokes going into the lower grandstand/Canton could we go in with them as it was 50p that way. Thats probably a fiver in todays money. We'd try to get into the bob bank, but half the time stay in the Canton but sing our hearts out.

How much is it for a 15 year old to get into the Canton on matchday ? There's the issue, we have lost a generation.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:11 am

Blueboys1927 wrote:We may as well face facts we are a small club, we have only taken large numbers away for big games. Love them or hate them but clubs like Leeds would still sell all their allocation out whether their game is televised or not, especially on a Saturday. She'd Wed brought over 1000 the other night on a Wednesday evening, you can't compare us to clubs like that I'm afraid :bluebird:

Simon, As a kid growing up I thought we we were a big club, your right we don't even compare with Leeds, Sheff Wed etc

But my worry is we now take away less than the smallest clubs Rotherham etc and that is a massive worry.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:13 am

:laughing6:
llan bluebird wrote:The club have been successful with what they wanted to achieve 10 years ago.....We are a "normal" club now.

The move to the CCS, the pricing structure and stewarding, we have become a modern club. Leeds, both sheffield club, pompey still have that old school feel about them for those still reminiscent of the "glory" decades of the 70's,80's & 90's.

Football minus the trouble should have taken us back to the halcyon days of post war Britain, but its now a middle class pastime or for those lucky enough to afford it. Its a different type of passion.

Where does that group of 16~30 year old come from ? The family stand !!! Because the only way you can afford to take a kid up to last season was accompanied in the family, at 14 i was going to the city with my mates. We got in by jumping the bob bank rear gate 3 hours early :laughing6: over the grange wall (fcuking scarey) but generally asking blokes going into the lower grandstand/Canton could we go in with them as it was 50p that way. Thats probably a fiver in todays money. We'd try to get into the bob bank, but half the time stay in the Canton but sing our hearts out.

How much is it for a 15 year old to get into the Canton on matchday ? There's the issue, we have lost a generation.

We have lost a lot of fans and that could take years to get them back, it's cheap now to watch City.

Sadly we are at this moment smaller than a normal club.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:13 am

:laughing6:
llan bluebird wrote:The club have been successful with what they wanted to achieve 10 years ago.....We are a "normal" club now.

We have lost a lot of fans and that could take years to get them back, it's cheap now to watch City.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:23 am

Forever Blue wrote::laughing6:

Its not cheap to watch city.... What happens for the few games a season when we do discount and you don't know anyone with a season ticket.

U-18's should be a fiver in the Canton on the day......

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:35 am

llan bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote::laughing6:

Its not cheap to watch city.... What happens for the few games a season when we do discount and you don't know anyone with a season ticket.

U-18's should be a fiver in the Canton on the day......

To be fair to the club, they finally listened 7 years later, but £49 for under 16's and £99 under 21's and Students for season tickets was cheap this season :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 am

Why?

Because it stopped being fun.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 am

rumpo kid wrote:Why?

I agree,that for me is 90% of the reason.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Am not sure, I still love an away day with city. We have lost a generation of fans on that age group, more interested in other things these days. Sad but true. :sad7:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Am not sure, I still love an away day with city. We have lost a generation of fans on that age group, more interested in other things these days. Sad but true. :sad7:

Gareth, For me after 43 years the last five years started to become a chore to go week in week out and I felt the fun,the passion was disappearing,the rebrand etc etc really had hurt me. Now coming back now and again, hopefully the fun will return :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:26 pm

I also think that alot of 16 -30 yr old are having more variety now. Such as playing for their local teams or xbox etc more football available to watch on tv/dodgy streams . All possible reasons as well as cost, poor performances etc.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:33 pm

gwentbluebirds wrote:I also think that alot of 16 -30 yr old are having more variety now. Such as playing for their local teams or xbox etc more football available to watch on tv/dodgy streams . All possible reasons as well as cost, poor performances etc.

I agree thats true,but other clubs still have large and noisy away followings?

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
gwentbluebirds wrote:I also think that alot of 16 -30 yr old are having more variety now. Such as playing for their local teams or xbox etc more football available to watch on tv/dodgy streams . All possible reasons as well as cost, poor performances etc.

They do I agree. Cost is my biggest reason for not doing many away games, which is gutting as every away game I've been to I've enjoyed even Bristol rovers away this year. But if I go I take my 15 yr old son and then it's close to £100 average.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:50 pm

gwentbluebirds wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

They do I agree. Cost is my biggest reason for not doing many away games, which is gutting as every away game I've been to I've enjoyed even Bristol rovers away this year. But if I go I take my 15 yr old son and then it's close to £100 average.

Totally agree, when you take family/children to an away game, it then becomes very expensive and out of the reach of the working class man.

Single blokes/Students etc its more affordable for them.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:57 pm

It's obvious why our away support is poor. If Forest was a new ground for us to visit, we would be taking a minimum of 2,000 there. But like the rest of the Championship grounds, we've been there several times before and the game is live on Sky. Put on top the fact fans are still cutting back from the Euro's and the negative atmosphere at the club caused by Tan and his cronies, driving loyal fans away, it's hardly surprising our away support has been so poor.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Loads of excuses, but other clubs still manage to sell out their allocations, we are a club now more comparable to Rotherham United than Sheffield united :bluebird:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:09 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Blueboys1927 wrote:We may as well face facts we are a small club, we have only taken large numbers away for big games. Love them or hate them but clubs like Leeds would still sell all their allocation out whether their game is televised or not, especially on a Saturday. She'd Wed brought over 1000 the other night on a Wednesday evening, you can't compare us to clubs like that I'm afraid :bluebird:

Simon, As a kid growing up I thought we we were a big club, your right we don't even compare with Leeds, Sheff Wed etc

But my worry is we now take away less than the smallest clubs Rotherham etc and that is a massive worry.

I agree Annis, as a kid I always thought we were a big club, I was wrong. You can't compare us in size to probably 15 bigger clubs in the championship :bluebird:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:36 pm

I've seen the history of clubs like ours, and been told about this club. And I keep getting told everything works out in the end. We all know why the crowds are low, we know time will fix it, as well as "historic" moments like beating a big team in the FA Cup, getting into the playoffs, Being on a big run, getting promoted etc etc. I do not see the point in every time there's a low crowd to make a post about it. This club is lucky to have the following it currently has considering its recent history, the game is in TV as well so count our lucky stars it's not just 30 people. Honestly though, posts like this and eventually if the media do make a big thing about the crowds, that's going to slow the progress more than anything. Just let people do what they want, they'll come
Back when they come back.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:38 pm

And the more we post about how "not fun" watching Cardiff or going to away games are on a POPULAR forum, then what do you expect you're scaring people away who are thinking about coming lmao. We are half the problem.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Savigma wrote:I've seen the history of clubs like ours, and been told about this club. And I keep getting told everything works out in the end. We all know why the crowds are low, we know time will fix it, as well as "historic" moments like beating a big team in the FA Cup, getting into the playoffs, Being on a big run, getting promoted etc etc. I do not see the point in every time there's a low crowd to make a post about it. This club is lucky to have the following it currently has considering its recent history, the game is in TV as well so count our lucky stars it's not just 30 people. Honestly though, posts like this and eventually if the media do make a big thing about the crowds, that's going to slow the progress more than anything. Just let people do what they want, they'll come
Back when they come back.

I did the OP but your post is a good one, am often critical of those who are obsessed with crowds but this week even shocked me. I did point before that despite what we think, we haven't had success like a wolves shef weds Derby etc, most have had years and years in top flight. We had one season. They will come back and I still maintain sustained in top division Cardiff would be huge. Enjoy game. :thumbup:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:34 pm

All the glory boys be back for villa away!!!! The 300 who made the trip today made it feel like 3000.