Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED ' BEN AMOS LATEST '

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:31 am

' BEN AMOS LATEST '

Cardiff City's New Goalie on loan from Division one club Bolton Wanderers due to them not being able to afford his wages.
I've just been told City are paying all Ben Amos's wages approx £18,000 a week, but No extra fees and no bonuses etc.

Also apparently Amos is Brilliant with shots in the area and commands it well :thumbright: :thumbright: But worrying is when the opposition shoot from outside the area?

Cardiff City have him on loan for this season 2016/17, but his contract ends in June 2017 with Bolton, So it will be very interesting what happens to Amos if he has a good season with City?

" UPDATED "

Amos is making a flying start

Cardiff's summer work in the transfer market was muddled to say the very least, but no one could argue that it's been the issue in these last two games.

David Marshall is irreplaceable and there were alarm bells ringing when Bolton fans seemed not at all despondent to see the Bluebirds turn to Ben Amos.

Well, he may have struggled in a team falling down the league last campaign but he has made an excellent start to his Cardiff career. A number of excellent stops kept his side in the game during a rocky first half period when the home side were finding all kinds of gaps in their opponents defence.

Paul Trollope expected a competition between his two keepers but a the moment there's no contest at the moment. Now Amos needs his defence to offer better protection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' BEN AMOS LATEST '

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:34 am

£18,000 a week?

:o :o :o

Almost a million pound a year.

Unbelievable.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:51 am

davids wrote:£18,000 a week?

Unbelievable.

David,That's what the contract he was on at Bolton after leaving Manchester United and that's why Bolton had to let him go out on loan.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:57 am

Bolton website says he signed a 4 year contract on 1st July 2015 so it will take a few bob to sign him. Can't see this happening with VT only interested in freebies.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:59 am

All the anti-Tan grizzlers should also take note that it seems the club is willing to pay the money if its the right fit for the city.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:01 pm

davids wrote:£18,000 a week?

Unbelievable.

A hell of alot less than Marshall and Moore combined and looks to be a decebt signing...

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:33 pm

f**k me we got what seems a pretty good keeper now to replace marshall yet some fans are now moaning about his wages ffs the same fans who would be whinging if we had a shit keeper in on shit wages and the same fans who would winge tan wont spend money on playera wages the club is a joke bla bla but then if we are payin decent wages for a decent keeper they still moan!

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:37 pm

BlueMagic wrote:f**k me we got what seems a pretty good keeper now to replace marshall yet some fans are now moaning about his wages ffs the same fans who would be whinging if we had a shit keeper in on shit wages and the same fans who would winge tan wont spend money on playera wages the club is a joke bla bla but then if we are payin decent wages for a decent keeper they still moan!

Spot on :thumbup:

Some people just like to moan about our beloved club. :old:

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:53 pm

BlueMagic wrote:f**k me we got what seems a pretty good keeper now to replace marshall yet some fans are now moaning about his wages ffs the same fans who would be whinging if we had a shit keeper in on shit wages and the same fans who would winge tan wont spend money on playera wages the club is a joke bla bla but then if we are payin decent wages for a decent keeper they still moan!

Spot on isn't 18k a week the normal for a championship keeper ?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm sorry but 18k a week for a keeper in our position is ridiculous. There are plenty of decent keepers out there we could have picked up on a lower wage.

We are paying over the odds, but Amos is a much better keeper than Wilson and hopefully, he will continue to do a solid job for us.

Only Cardiff would choose to bring in a keeper on loan on 18k a week and play a youngster nowhere near good enough ahead of him. What is going on at our club?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I'm sorry but 18k a week for a keeper in our position is ridiculous. There are plenty of decent keepers out there we could have picked up on a lower wage.

We are paying over the odds, but Amos is a much better keeper than Wilson and hopefully, he will continue to do a solid job for us.

Only Cardiff would choose to bring in a keeper on loan on 18k a week and play a youngster nowhere near good enough ahead of him. What is going on at our club?

How m7ch do you think championship keepers cost remember no loan fee and no transfer fee ,would you of preferred to sign someone for 2 million then pay 18k a week ?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:28 pm

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... td-8847277

interesting piece a couple of years old amos was no 2 at man Utd but wanted first team football he could be a gem for us just like marshal was

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Marshall was probably on 30-40k, so we're saving 12-22k there. Plus the transfer fee.

18k isn't much considering there's no transfer fee or bonuses.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Exactly club are damned if they do dsamned if they dont , footballers are on high wages at all clubs just the way it is and always will be . Amos seems to a decent keeper not as good as Marshall but his wages reflect that

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:32 pm

wez1927 wrote:http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ben-amos-leave-man-utd-8847277

interesting piece a couple of years old amos was no 2 at man Utd but wanted first team football he could be a gem for us just like marshal was

I said this on another post few weeks back when troobloo3339 was having a pop coz I said we should play him ahead of Wilson

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:03 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I'm sorry but 18k a week for a keeper in our position is ridiculous. There are plenty of decent keepers out there we could have picked up on a lower wage.

How m7ch do you think championship keepers cost remember no loan fee and no transfer fee ,would you of preferred to sign someone for 2 million then pay 18k a week ?

No wez, Tonteg would like a keeper on a free transfer, with no signing on fee, on about 10k a week. Oh and he's got to be good enough to fill marshals boots... Should have been easy to find...

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:33 pm

nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

No wez, Tonteg would like a keeper on a free transfer, with no signing on fee, on about 10k a week. Oh and he's got to be good enough to fill marshals boots... Should have been easy to find...

Nonsense, we were never going to get a keeper better than Marshall, but a keeper to do a solid job and not drop clangers could have been signed for around 10k a week.

18k a week is what a good Championship striker should be on. Generally, keepers don't earn as much as outfield players. I'm not complaining about Amos, but there are reserve keepers out there we could have loaned and paid a percentage of the wages instead.

We panicked because it was deadline day and our transfer committee messed up once again. With better planning and organisation, I believe we could have brought in a more than adequate keeper for a lot less. Just my opinion of course.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:48 pm

We don't know for sure how much he is on, although 18k does seem a lot for an on-loan keeper, like someone said you could get a decent Championship striker in on those wages. Hopefully he will do well this season and if it works out we could sign what appears to be a decent keeper on a free.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:47 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Nonsense, we were never going to get a keeper better than Marshall, but a keeper to do a solid job and not drop clangers could have been signed for around 10k a week.

18k a week is what a good Championship striker should be on. Generally, keepers don't earn as much as outfield players. I'm not complaining about Amos, but there are reserve keepers out there we could have loaned and paid a percentage of the wages instead.

We panicked because it was deadline day and our transfer committee messed up once again. With better planning and organisation, I believe we could have brought in a more than adequate keeper for a lot less. Just my opinion of course.

You do realise the average wage for a championship players is now around the 20kna week mark

Used to be around 8/10k but that was 4/5 years ago

18k probably a little over what the average keeper is on but we've made huge savings on Marshall and Moore so 18k is fine and he was touted once to be England number 1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:24 am

smakerzthebluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

You do realise the average wage for a championship players is now around the 20kna week mark

Used to be around 8/10k but that was 4/5 years ago

18k probably a little over what the average keeper is on but we've made huge savings on Marshall and Moore so 18k is fine and he was touted once to be England number 1

totally agree plus the saving of no transfer fee and more than likely we will get him on a free for next year too

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:32 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

I don't think there's an abundance of solid keepers out there for 10k a week that come with no signing fee. At the end of the day he's looked worth every penny in the last two games, and if Lambert carries on scoring no one is guna complain about his 35k a week!

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:39 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Name a keeper that you think would have fitted the bill.

I'm certainly struggling. Whether keepers are worth that sort of money is debatable but it's simply what you have to pay now.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:51 am

Amos is making a flying start

Cardiff's summer work in the transfer market was muddled to say the very least, but no one could argue that it's been the issue in these last two games.

David Marshall is irreplaceable and there were alarm bells ringing when Bolton fans seemed not at all despondent to see the Bluebirds turn to Ben Amos.

Well, he may have struggled in a team falling down the league last campaign but he has made an excellent start to his Cardiff career. A number of excellent stops kept his side in the game during a rocky first half period when the home side were finding all kinds of gaps in their opponents defence.

Paul Trollope expected a competition between his two keepers but a the moment there's no contest at the moment. Now Amos needs his defence to offer better protection.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:52 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Name a keeper that you think would have fitted the bill.

I'm certainly struggling. Whether keepers are worth that sort of money is debatable but it's simply what you have to pay now.

agree the wages are too high but that's what a championship player get these days