" The Soul of Cardiff City "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Costa Coffee Crew » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:02 am

There is a lot of talk these days that the club has lost its soul - [ and i don't mean the Soul Crew! ]. "Its not like the old days" , "It doesn't matter as much to me these days" , "The Passion has gone" , " There is no atmosphere at CCS" - we keep hearing these things.

So boys what is the soul of Cardiff City? When it is at it's best what does it feel like to be a city fan? What words do you most associate with Cardiff City?

I'll give you an equivalent on what it means to be American - Harry Truman said “America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.”

I'd really interested to know what you would say about being a Bluebird
Attachments
site_logo.gif.png
site_logo.gif.png (318.29 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Costa Coffee Crew

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " The Soul of Cardiff City "

Postby Sneggyblubird » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:26 am

The analogy you use is pretty close actually.For me City have always been historically a team of battlers.We knew we were not always the best on the park but for the most time were always prepared to roll up their sleeves and battle for the cause and the fans bought into this.This to me was always something that defined us as a club even more than the colour of our shirt and when people talk about identity you could always tell a city side by the attitude of the side and their fans.

:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Sneggyblubird

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:37 am

Anyone remember that real buzz when we played in the league cup final against Liverpool, those cold away days when we managed to scrape a last minute win, the play off semi final penalty shoot out against Leicester, the FA cup Wembley visits, the Derby day victories (Michael Chopra scoring in the last couple of mins to win)....well all these great memories mentioned above make it all worth it and you really appreciate those days when you've suffered the bad ones too for example the dark days in a relegation battle or a derby day loss etc. But of course, that's not only it - Being a bluebird - sense of belonging to one big family, pride of supporting your local team, the pride you feel when you wear your shirt away from home, the great memories you gain alongside family and friends, the critique part of being a fan too - that's all part of being a city fan for me personally! Probably most importantly - it's about identity, who you are and what you belong to....the badge on the shirt is just a replica of what is tattooed on the chest underneath etc!
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby Stringfellow » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:41 am

Similar to sneggy, we would rise to the challenges laid down and thrive on it and that's what we were all about. I think the Leeds game in the cup optimised this, granted lots have lost a bit of interest and off the field issues and rebrands didn't help. But for me personally, the soul is very much alive and kicking as players and owners come and go but the people of South Wales will always be the same. Fighters, battlers, stronger when the chips are down. Which is what we must show right now. Is still believe a blue city in the Prem would be a great experience, up against it but battling week in week out. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:
You have to go through the bad times to appreciate the good times!!!
Stringfellow

Postby nubbsy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:57 am

America was built on the murder and pillage of the indigenous natives
nubbsy

Postby frank skinner » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 am

nubbsy wrote:America was built on the murder and pillage of the indigenous natives

Didn't know tan is american :ayatollah:
frank skinner

Postby frank skinner » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:12 am

The feeling of being part of one big mad family for me it just seems to me that my dad has just bogged off at the moment :old: :bluescarf:
frank skinner

Postby eddiep » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:17 am

nubbsy wrote:America was built on the murder and pillage of the indigenous natives

I think that's a known fact. The whole of the Americas were done over by Spanish, British, French and Portuguese. Only USA America still gets hammered for it these days though?!?!
But I don't think that's the point on this thread.

To be a Cardiff City fan to me is to;

Endure, Fight, Love, laugh and cry.
True city fans don't run. (not just applicable to the hooligans either!)

Even when th chips are down, and its potatoe season most of the time :lol:

:bluebird:
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby Costa Coffee Crew » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks boys keep 'em coming.
Costa Coffee Crew

Postby RV Casual » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:30 am

For me it was about a working class club, Cardiff City against the world if you like.

People from South Wales coming together in big or small numbers to support their team. South Wales is not a rich area and a day at the Football would have been seen as something of an escape from the day to day crap that filled people's lives whether it be working in a factory or sat in an office or grafting on a building site. Get that week done and escape to the Football on a Saturday. An away day with your mates in the van, on the bus, on the train, few cans, lots of laughs and banter and yes the odd bit of tomfoolery.

Players playing for the love of the game, money not spent in ridiculous amounts, stood on open terraces in our case the Grange End or the Bob Bank Terrace. We were always an underdog, a so called sleeping giant dreaming of a big draw in the FA Cup.

Wales vs England in every game, a feeling of representation of your area and country that you could be proud of, the smells on the terraces, the different characters etc etc.

Times move on and Football has with it but for me Cardiff City lost it's soul the day it left Ninian Park. I'm not a dinosaur and I appreciate that for some its possibly moved on for the better, but not for me.

Modern stadiums, mainly bowls that the clubs can't fill, over inflated prices on everything from tickets to food and drink, the hospitality (prawn sandwich) stuff, the players wages, the stewarding/policing. everything down to the last bone, just see that post last night about Rotherham trying to charge the supporters club £25 to park their coaches per coach, where is the justification in that? That is more Football in general mind as opposed to us specifically I accept.

So for me Cardiff City lost its soul the day we left Ninian Park and the day that the Club started to alienate its chore support, the working class South Wales Man.
RV Casual

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:31 am

RV Casual wrote:For me it was about a working class club, Cardiff City against the world if you like.

People from South Wales coming together in big or small numbers to support their team. South Wales is not a rich area and a day at the Football would have been seen as something of an escape from the day to day crap that filled people's lives whether it be working in a factory or sat in an office or grafting on a building site. Get that week done and escape to the Football on a Saturday. An away day with your mates in the van, on the bus, on the train, few cans, lots of laughs and banter and yes the odd bit of tomfoolery.

Players playing for the love of the game, money not spent in ridiculous amounts, stood on open terraces in our case the Grange End or the Bob Bank Terrace. We were always an underdog, a so called sleeping giant dreaming of a big draw in the FA Cup.

Wales vs England in every game, a feeling of representation of your area and country that you could be proud of, the smells on the terraces, the different characters etc etc.

Times move on and Football has with it but for me Cardiff City lost it's soul the day it left Ninian Park. I'm not a dinosaur and I appreciate that for some its possibly moved on for the better, but not for me.

Modern stadiums, mainly bowls that the clubs can't fill, over inflated prices on everything from tickets to food and drink, the hospitality (prawn sandwich) stuff, the players wages, the stewarding/policing. everything down to the last bone, just see that post last night about Rotherham trying to charge the supporters club £25 to park their coaches per coach, where is the justification in that? That is more Football in general mind as opposed to us specifically I accept.

So for me Cardiff City lost its soul the day we left Ninian Park and the day that the Club started to alienate its chore support, the working class South Wales Man.

100% Spot on, you've summoned it up thats How I feel :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby eddiep » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:37 am

Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:For me it was about a working class club, Cardiff City against the world if you like.

100% Spot on, you've summoned it up thats How I feel :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I see West Ham are the latest batch of fans to go through this.
It's hard (modern football) for the working class man to take.

That's why 'to endure' is part of our dna
Always attacked, never beaten.
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:49 am

eddiep wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I see West Ham are the latest batch of fans to go through this.
It's hard (modern football) for the working class man to take.

That's why 'to endure' is part of our dna
Always attacked, never beaten.

My honest opinion, its the worst thing to ever happen to West Ham leaving Upton Park, Hardcore/Loyal fans.
Watch over the next few years,these new fans disappear and some of the hardcore not return.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:52 am

Costa Coffee Crew wrote:There is a lot of talk these days that the club has lost its soul - [ and i don't mean the Soul Crew! ]. "Its not like the old days" , "It doesn't matter as much to me these days" , "The Passion has gone" , " There is no atmosphere at CCS" - we keep hearing these things.

So boys what is the soul of Cardiff City? When it is at it's best what does it feel like to be a city fan? What words do you most associate with Cardiff City?

I'll give you an equivalent on what it means to be American - Harry Truman said “America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.”

I'd really interested to know what you would say about being a Bluebird

Team struggling, fans are against the manager, fans are against the owner and thousands of supporters abandon the club because of a relegation. Seems like the old days me :lol:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:56 am

I am afraid football is merely a business which attracts those who feel good about owning a club without really understanding what it is all about. Tan's foray into Cardiff is a perfect example of such ignorance. Four quid for a beer three for a Clark's pie
football is like the Labour Party it has lost the common man. It is a global product without any consideration for the fans, it's history.Frankly football has lost it's soul not just CCFC.
Jimmy Scoular

Postby gwentbluebirds » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:02 am

Perfectly put :notworthy:
gwentbluebirds

Postby blue for you » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:19 am

The spirit of football died many years ago when the money men moved in - pink floyd even wrote a song about it. I suppose I miss the passion of fans, standing on terraces with no chance of a steward telling you how to behave. I always felt like our players were also playing for the club,Getting stuck in and doing their best to get respect from the fans.
I miss the reputation that Cardiff had as fans-other fans basically shat themselves if we entered the same pub on an away day lol. Togetherness was a massive part of being a city fan, with quite a small away following I felt like we all knew each other.
I don't know if that feeling will ever return but hopefully the new generation of city fan will be able to savour it, once you get the big that's you hooked.
Just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean they're not talking about me
blue for you

Postby arri potta » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:38 am

soul - that's players playing because they love football and love the club they are at.

Wolves away when we nearly went out of the league and two players crying on the half way line at full-time, those tears were replicated on that windy terrace, that's the soul that money has ripped from football these days.

I don't blame anyone anymore if they don't give a damn, the club, the money and sky don't give a feck about us either.
arri potta

Postby GLASCOEDBLUE » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:33 pm

The gang of young lads behind me yesterday at Rotherham hadn't lost there soul, sang there hearts out for the full 90 mintues :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
LIFE'S NEVER DULL FOLLOWING THE BLUEBIRDS
GLASCOEDBLUE

Postby skiprat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Funny though if you check the attendance records.prior to the premier league.which we could say is the start of "modern football".the working class'the middle class the upper class had abandoned football in their droves.i remember watching city play Middlesbrough at ninian park in the old second division in 1985 .the attendance 2500.
skiprat

Postby MalagaCF » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:16 pm

The SOUL has been ripped out of a lot of football clubs with new seater stadiums, over zealous stewards and overpriced entrance fees.
West Ham will soon find out...
MalagaCF

Postby ThomasC » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:56 pm

enjoyed reading the thread, all the issues raised are very real. I guess i shouldn't blame the club totally for it but i do envy clubs with traditional football homes, not a bowl stadium on an industrial park. Ugly
ThomasC

Postby TERRYB » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:11 pm

For me the true meaning of The Soul Of Cardiff City is something that you feel, it's like belonging to a very special family whose ups and downs you share and the downs only serve to make that family feeling and togetherness stronger. The love and the passion is still there despite everything we have endured. When we lose or suffer a bad run of defeats it makes us even more determined because following our Club is a rollercoaster ride that none of us wants to get off. Heart and Soul, together forever.
TERRYB

Postby Bella Blue » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Very well put and agree with the sentiment. As another poster said, I too envy fans of proper clubs with loyal fans in their traditional grounds. If I was a young lad today I don't know if I would be into going to football as much as I was back in the day.
Bella Blue

Postby Howey1927 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Great thread and there is no one answer as everyone is different.

I had a season ticket every year for 21 years until the start of last season. I didn't get one then purely because I knew I couldn't attend the first 6 games and so it didn't make sense. In the end I only went to about 7 or 8 games. There was no intention on my part but when push came to shove, I couldn't be bothered with it and would spend time with my family or play golf instead. I was gutted that I didn't miss going. For years I would have dragged myself over hot coals, covered in petrol to get there for any shit game you care to mention. But at the same time, I can't tell you exactly why.

I don't blame new stadiums. The Emirates is a thing of wonder as are lots of other new grounds compared to some of the shit holes. Upton Park will be missed without doubt lots of old grounds were crap. Ninian was wonderful but it was shit in equal measure. The Wales qualifiers in our new ground with no atmosphere were superb. It us that create the atmosphere, not the ground.

I think for me, the thing that ruined it was I had for so long wanted City to reach Division 1/the Prem, that process of trying to get there was far better than actually being there. The red kit, the Malky business, the lame way we went down, Slade being appointed and now Trollope (although like every manager, I wish him every success) have all been totally underwhelming at least.

The Rick Wright era remains for me, the best time to be a City fan. It was the first time in my lifetime that we were able to compete and having an 8k crowd felt like playing in a full Bernabau! I never thought I'd go to Wembley and have 4 times and I never thought I watch City in the top-flight so I've done pretty well.

But it's not the same anymore and it makes me sad. :cry:
You make me happy, when skies are grey,
You'll never notice how much I love you.
So please don't take my Cardiff away.
Howey1927

Postby neathbluebird » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:33 am

Howey1927 wrote:Great thread and there is no one answer as everyone is different.

I had a season ticket every year for 21 years until the start of last season. I didn't get one then purely because I knew I couldn't attend the first 6 games and so it didn't make sense. In the end I only went to about 7 or 8 games. There was no intention on my part but when push came to shove, I couldn't be bothered with it and would spend time with my family or play golf instead. I was gutted that I didn't miss going. For years I would have dragged myself over hot coals, covered in petrol to get there for any shit game you care to mention. But at the same time, I can't tell you exactly why.

I don't blame new stadiums. The Emirates is a thing of wonder as are lots of other new grounds compared to some of the shit holes. Upton Park will be missed without doubt lots of old grounds were crap. Ninian was wonderful but it was shit in equal measure. The Wales qualifiers in our new ground with no atmosphere were superb. It us that create the atmosphere, not the ground.

I think for me, the thing that ruined it was I had for so long wanted City to reach Division 1/the Prem, that process of trying to get there was far better than actually being there. The red kit, the Malky business, the lame way we went down, Slade being appointed and now Trollope (although like every manager, I wish him every success) have all been totally underwhelming at least.

The Rick Wright era remains for me, the best time to be a City fan. It was the first time in my lifetime that we were able to compete and having an 8k crowd felt like playing in a full Bernabau! I never thought I'd go to Wembley and have 4 times and I never thought I watch City in the top-flight so I've done pretty well.

But it's not the same anymore and it makes me sad. :cry:

excellant post....going to the so called promised land of the prem should have been the ultimate for us all but with all the red/malky shit it wasnt . but will always remember in my heart the win against man city -we travelled back from our caravan near aberystwyth round trip of 180 miles? missus wasnt happy but will never forget that day of glory in the prem..dont forget that season whilst we went down man city ended up champs.. and apart from beating the jacks there wasnt much else to cheer us that season (i did enjoy however Arsenal away new years day when it was pissing down & roof probs meant some of their lot were half drowned)
To my mind we are historically a championship side...when i started watching in the early 70`s we held the record (along with charlton) as having played the most seasons in the second tier..the jacks were just a shitty little lower league team then.I remember standing in the old wooden grange end & was announced that jacks had won & crowd actually cheered ??? cant remember the actual year but back then they were regarded as the little juniors down the road wheras our rivals were the Bristol clubs.
But looking back where we where in the late 80`s & 90¬s shit support & lower leagues we have come back to our " rightful position" as a championship club-with some great memories along the way-FAC FINAL,2008,league cup final 2014.play off final 2010 just a shame we cant be in europe every year like we used to by winning the welsh cup.
neathbluebird

Return to General Chat