Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Where does he go from here? '

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 am

There are tough questions for Trollope, no doubt and where does he go from here with his squad of players?

By Phil Smith

Sunday 28th August 2016

Reading was the fourth of six competitive games in which Cardiff have failed to score and the imminent departure of David Marshall means that they can now be far less reliant on consistent excellence at the other end.

The core of a decent squad is still there, and parts of the performance against Reading were encouraging. They were unlucky not to score in one particularly dominant first half period but the uncomfortable truth for the Bluebirds was that they never looked likely in the second half.

As against QPR, they were then undone by a defensive lapse and a sucker punch on the break.

Paul Trollope's vision will take time to come to fruition but he knows that he cannot compromise when it comes to results, and they are already behind where they were at this stage last season. Most worryingly, it's two defeats out of three at home. That's as many as they lost throughout the entirety of the previous campaign and quite simply, they will not get very far if they do not turn this around quickly.

It is difficult not to feel some sympathy for Paul Trollope.

David Marshall was not just an outstanding goalkeeper but a major presence around the club. Some fans have wondered whether he was vocal enough to be captain but his exemplary leadership came as much from the example he set; his drive for the highest standards and his experience of what it takes to get out of this league.

To lose him at this stage, having sold his established number two not so long ago, is beyond frustrating.

Building a new identity for a team is difficult enough to begin without losing key cogs in the wheel so soon in the season. Take Fabio, too.

One of they key goals for the summer was to find a way to get the best out of players whose talent warrants more consistency in their performances. The Brazilian was flying in the new wing-back role and a key part of the encouraging signs in pre-season.

Cardiff's hands may have been tied once the release clause was met but there is simply too much of this kind of uncertainty. Both he and Marshall were hugely popular dressing room figures and there's no doubt their departures leave a void.

It has also left the squad lopsided and there will now be a nervous wait to see if the likes of Bruno Manga stay at the club in the next few days.

He has had an inconsistent start to the season but showed his quality against Reading and, like Marshall, is a player whose ability cannot be lost if the club have serious designs on the upper reaches of the division.

There are tough questions for Trollope, no doubt.

With Fabio gone and Bruno Manga in and out of the team, there will be doubts about whether 5-3-2 is still the right way to go. Fabio's absence was made all the more obvious by an excellent display from Chris Gunter for the opposition.

Jazz Richards is a full-back first and foremost and while Kadeem Harris was again the bright spark, this is an unfamiliar role and not one that necessarily best utilises his at times searing pace.

When Fabio played there in pre-season, he always pushed up when Cardiff dropped in on the opposite flank. As such, the centre-backs and Peter Whittingham always had the option to switch possession out wide. At the moment, the defence is too flat and makes the team one-paced and it's tough to get on the front foot.

Necessary too is a striker who can stretch the defence with runs in behind and genuine pace. That gives the defenders in possession another option and would offer a counter-attacking threat currently lacking.

Cardiff could have won yesterday. They missed some great heading opportunities, ones that had they converted, would have sent them into the break with eight points and just one off the play-offs.

Trollope observed that these small things make all the difference, and that everything will now probably feel like a disaster.

He needs to improve the team's attacking output, but he could also do with the powers that be giving him so proper backing over the next few days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Where does he go from here? '

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 am

Change the formation for a start he needs go 442 at least until he can get players use to the system he is trying to play! He can introduce it in training over period of time ?

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:11 am

pembroke allan wrote:Change the formation for a start he needs go 442 at least until he can get players use to the system he is trying to play! He can introduce it in training over period of time ?

Please not 442. We have had that for 2 seasons and it was some of the most boring football ever.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:13 am

boyo1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Change the formation for a start he needs go 442 at least until he can get players use to the system he is trying to play! He can introduce it in training over period of time ?

Please not 442. We have had that for 2 seasons and it was some of the most boring football ever.

Played right it's effective lots teams use it now!! it's got to be better than way we are playing at present ?

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:15 am

boyo1927 wrote:

the question is. does a formation guarantee entertainment or the players? the last season in 4-4-2 we finished what I guess we would all take at this moment, 8th place.

Agree it wasn't entertaining but to emphasis the point, can the players we have, able to play the kind of football we want?

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:22 am

ThomasC wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

the question is. does a formation guarantee entertainment or the players? the last season in 4-4-2 we finished what I guess we would all take at this moment, 8th place.

Agree it wasn't entertaining but to emphasis the point, can the players we have, able to play the kind of football we want?

At present doesn't look like! so something needs to change or we will find ourselves lagging in relegation spot soon! Trollope said wants play Wales way we'll we don't have the personel to do it effectively without lot more work being done

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:25 am

pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

At present doesn't look like! so something needs to change or we will find ourselves lagging in relegation spot soon! Trollope said wants play Wales way we'll we don't have the personel to do it effectively without lot more work being done

A bad side is a bad side! No hiding place. I don't like 5-3-2 mind as it give emphasis to the opposition to control games. I said as much before the season, we are playing what is essentially a successful tournament formation based on lightning quick counter-attacks.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:28 am

ThomasC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

A bad side is a bad side! No hiding place. I don't like 5-3-2 mind as it give emphasis to the opposition to control games. I said as much before the season, we are playing what is essentially a successful tournament formation based on lightning quick counter-attacks.

The Wales way without bale / Ramsey! They had more possession but looked less effective than us? Don't think we are as bad as appears it could well be coach is problem ?

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:32 am

pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

The Wales way without bale / Ramsey! They had more possession but looked less effective than us? Don't think we are as bad as appears it could well be coach is problem ?

Well, that's certainly open to debate Allan :thumbup: Nobody is wrong to state our problems run deeper than who is the manager, but, could another manager be doing a better job under these circumstances? I would prob say yes

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:38 am

pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

Totally agree, even when attacking it's 5 at the back with both wing backs going no further than the half way line, on the rare occasions Harris got forward we looked a threat but it's mostly lethargic.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:01 am

ThomasC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

Well, that's certainly open to debate Allan :thumbup: Nobody is wrong to state our problems run deeper than who is the manager, but, could another manager be doing a better job under these circumstances? I would prob say yes

Yes they will other clubs worse run than us manage to play better effective football! Maybe he needs more time but problem is before we know it we are stuck in bottom 3 and that will be hard to get away from unless change manager?? Really not confident about this season :roll:

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:05 am

Neokutai wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

Totally agree, even when attacking it's 5 at the back with both wing backs going no further than the half way line, on the rare occasions Harris got forward we looked a threat but it's mostly lethargic.

That's why said change formation may be needed to redress problem? And possibly the two strikers will have better service than they are getting now?
Last edited by pembroke allan on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:06 am

The 5-3-2 is not working I agree with that. Personally I would give 4-3-3 ago with Noone, Harris and Pilks upfront. Yes we still lack a proven goal scorer but the fact is we haven't got one (unless Healey comes in from the DVP) but those players would be a very fast tricky direct trio who would give opposition sides something different to think about.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:09 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

The 5-3-2 is not working I agree with that. Personally I would give 4-3-3 ago with Noone, Harris and Pilks upfront. Yes we still lack a proven goal scorer but the fact is we haven't got one (unless Healey comes in from the DVP) but those players would be a very fast tricky direct trio who would give opposition sides something different to think about.

Change of formation may be what Fred and others need to bring best out of them? Immers seem to be suffering compared to last season, so something needs to be done. :thumbup:

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:26 am

Problem is the club are going one way and that's backwards and they are asking pt to move forward.
It's impossible as also the club have said they want promotion and to be honest it's yet again a situation of 2 steps forward and 3 back for city.
They worked hard to get fans back and new fans in with the free tickets and the offers on season tickets all for that work to be undone by a lack of ambition and total bull shit a lot of fans had had enough but now as we are with players being sold its a mile away from the club's statement of promotion or top 6 .as it stands city have yet again set themselves up to be shot down.
We have a guy in charge who has the Money but has still managed to cock it all up for us.
The question now is what's he up to with city is he doing this to sell us or has he learnt his lesson and started again.
For me under Tan it's been a disaster the years in red I hated with a passion .I let it go and carried on when we went back to blue and I'm currently giving the man another chance because I love the city but again it's so frustrating being a fan under Tans cardiff city who knows what he's doing but it ain't looking good is it .
Any way promotion is what the club wants and pt has £2.20 to do it I just hope people don't blame him I for one admire his new philosophy which will take time and back from the club .
Time will tell but at mo the club's braking its own back.
:bluescarf:

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:29 am

brickyblue wrote:Problem is the club are going one way and that's backwards and they are asking pt to move forward.
It's impossible as also the club have said they want promotion and to be honest it's yet again a situation of 2 steps forward and 3 back for city.
They worked hard to get fans back and new fans in with the free tickets and the offers on season tickets all for that work to be undone by a lack of ambition and total bull shit a lot of fans had had enough but now as we are with players being sold its a mile away from the club's statement of promotion or top 6 .as it stands city have yet again set themselves up to be shot down.
We have a guy in charge who has the Money but has still managed to cock it all up for us.
The question now is what's he up to with city is he doing this to sell us or has he learnt his lesson and started again.
For me under Tan it's been a disaster the years in red I hated with a passion .I let it go and carried on when we went back to blue and I'm currently giving the man another chance because I love the city but again it's so frustrating being a fan under Tans cardiff city who knows what he's doing but it ain't looking good is it .
Any way promotion is what the club wants and pt has £2.20 to do it I just hope people don't blame him I for one admire his new philosophy which will take time and back from the club .

A lot of truth there and I won't be blaming Trollope at all, as he was offered a chance in management and he is doing it with his hands totally tied and very very limited funds.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
brickyblue wrote:Problem is the club are going one way and that's backwards and they are asking pt to move forward.

A lot of truth there and I won't be blaming Trollope at all, as he was offered a chance in management and he is doing it with his hands totally tied and very very limited funds.

I agree with you Annis but I'm sorry I can't feel any sympathy for him at all.

He had all last season to see how things were and yet, knowing all that he did about how the club was being run, the budget that would be available to him etc, he chose to take on the job.

Amazing to think that, after a reasonably favourable run of opening matches that Slade made a better start last season than Trollope has this season. :o