Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY BRING IT ON THEMSELVES

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:19 pm

' CARDIFF CITY BRING IT ON THEMSELVES '

Surprised at the line up this afternoon, didn't expect to see Ben Amos named in the matchday squad and definitely didn't think we would see Adam Le Fondre but the team looked a strong enough eleven.

Ben Wilson took the number one slot with Marshall on his way to Hull.

The first half, like I have in previous home games, I got to say I enjoyed it, I thought City were bright and more attack minded in their play and had we been a couple of goals to the good at half time then in my opinion Reading would have had very little to complain about.

Lex Immers was the most guilty of not converting decent chances he had with two headers.

Jazz Richards and Anthony Pilkington both forced Al Absi into conceding corners from shots from outside of the box.

Karen Harris, Pilkington and Immers were all having a pretty decent first half with their approach play in and around the Reading box.

I was slightly surprised to learn how big a percentage Reading had in possession during the first half, 65%, that wouldn't have been my guess without hearing the stat.

The second half saw Reading come at us more than they did in the first forty five and it made for a more open game with both teams creating opportunities in the opposition box, City were starting to make mistakes in the back line no more so than when Connolly ballooned a ball high in our box which came down on top of Ben Wilson who let a slip through his hands, Gunnarsson took a air swing in attempting to clear before Kadeem Harris toe poked the ball away from danger.

Inexplicably and it is a trait we have seen far too many times from Cardiff City over the past few seasons, we always sit deeper and deeper the closer we approach the 90 minute mark.

The City fans were urging the team to push up the pitch and away from the penalty area as far too many times we get punished in the final few minutes for camping in our penalty box.

Today we did exactly that and yet again got punished.

We all know that City need a striker, and one with a pedigree of suiting the Championship, without a finisher then I do fear we could be in a relegation battle.

Five points from the available fifteen is dismal in my opinion and I just hope that a striker is brought in, whether a freebie or loan because with a finisher in that team then maybe we would have got an extra five points from today's game and that at Birmingham.

If we stopped sitting deep late on in games then we may have held on for a credible win at Fulham too.

All ifs and buts I know but the table could be looking a lot better than it does right now with little changes.

Re: CARDIFF CITY BRING IT ON THEMSELVES

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:29 pm

I think that performance should be gauged over the first six games, and it's plain to see that this group of players are incapable of making any strides in the final third. That's six games, it's a problem that needs addressing very quickly.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:38 pm

carlccfc wrote:' CARDIFF CITY BRING IT ON THEMSELVES '

Surprised at the line up this afternoon, didn't expect to see Ben Amos named in the matchday squad and definitely didn't think we would see Adam Le Fondre but the team looked a strong enough eleven.

Ben Wilson took the number one slot with Marshall on his way to Hull.

The first half, like I have in previous home games, I got to say I enjoyed it, I thought City were bright and more attack minded in their play and had we been a couple of goals to the good at half time then in my opinion Reading would have had very little to complain about.

Lex Immers was the most guilty of not converting decent chances he had with two headers.

Jazz Richards and Anthony Pilkington both forced Al Absi into conceding corners from shots from outside of the box.

Karen Harris, Pilkington and Immers were all having a pretty decent first half with their approach play in and around the Reading box.

I was slightly surprised to learn how big a percentage Reading had in possession during the first half, 65%, that wouldn't have been my guess without hearing the stat.

The second half saw Reading come at us more than they did in the first forty five and it made for a more open game with both teams creating opportunities in the opposition box, City were starting to make mistakes in the back line no more so than when Connolly ballooned a ball high in our box which came down on top of Ben Wilson who let a slip through his hands, Gunnarsson took a air swing in attempting to clear before Kadeem Harris toe poked the ball away from danger.

Inexplicably and it is a trait we have seen far too many times from Cardiff City over the past few seasons, we always sit deeper and deeper the closer we approach the 90 minute mark.

The City fans were urging the team to push up the pitch and away from the penalty area as far too many times we get punished in the final few minutes for camping in our penalty box.

Today we did exactly that and yet again got punished.

We all know that City need a striker, and one with a pedigree of suiting the Championship, without a finisher then I do fear we could be in a relegation battle.

Five points from the available fifteen is dismal in my opinion and I just hope that a striker is brought in, whether a freebie or loan because with a finisher in that team then maybe we would have got an extra five points from today's game and that at Birmingham.

If we stopped sitting deep late on in games then we may have held on for a credible win at Fulham too.

All ifs and buts I know but the table could be looking a lot better than it does right now with little changes.

It's a spot on summary; it also baffles me why we refuse to get bodies forward. The amount of times today's when we broke or were deep in their half and there were no players to support was criminal. At one point at an attacking throw, Fred was our only player beyond the centre circle. A striker will be important, but unless we start attacking as a team they too will have far too much to do.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:41 pm

How the hell do we end up with a flat back 5 and a stagnant midfield 3 that is down to the msnager

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks Carl, gives a good summary of the match :ayatollah:

From what I've seen and heard myself, you're right. We could have had more points, but it is very concerning where we are and the results we are getting - even this early.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:46 pm

DEANO wrote:How the hell do we end up with a flat back 5 and a stagnant midfield 3 that is down to the msnager

agree the mangers pick the team and does the tactics this is down to him ,we are playing people out of position

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Spot on wez

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Fred disappointed me today when he came on,looked a bit stale And seemed liked he couldn't be arsed to chase down any through balls or put pressure on defenders.
Carl what's your thoughts on Manga,dropped to the bench today but came on early seemed comfortable on the ball but we all know how he can lose concentration for a split second at our expense.Most of our fans rave about him but doesn't always make the team.I would have sold him before Marshall.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:23 pm

DEANO wrote:How the hell do we end up with a flat back 5 and a stagnant midfield 3 that is down to the msnager

Spot on.

Sadly his (the manager) CV does not cut it at this level. Our players properly coached, motivated and managed could beat anyone in this division in my opinion. I thought Slade was brought in to steady the ship reduce unessential costs and handover to someone who could take us onwards and upwards, how on earth does Trollope fit the job description?

Stupid of me to think Vincent had a plan based on something other than sell off everything of value and get out.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:42 am

Yes we looked pretty good in the first half. The second half was piss poor, the players looked lost. Fred was awful, if you are going to put Alf on the bench then give him 15 minutes. He will run all day and try and make something happy. Most of the time Fred just stood around. He also has a head like a f*cking toblorone. I'm starting to worry about Trolls, we could be in for a long hard season.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:31 am

Good OP, Carl. Much the same thoughts from me, as I thought the team did well other than in front of goal and Kadeem, Pilkington and Richards played well. In fact, I couldn't really fault any of our players for their effort today :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:24 am

We played ok today, defence and midfield can more than hold their own in this league, however unless we can get a decent 15/20 striker i can see us battling to just stay in this League. :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:34 am

bluespeers wrote:We played ok today, defence and midfield can more than hold their own in this league, however unless we can get a decent 15/20 striker i can see us battling to just stay in this League. :ayatollah:

The midfield was just ad much to blame today for our lack of goals .no creativity and no energy

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:25 am

troobloo3339 wrote:
bluespeers wrote:We played ok today, defence and midfield can more than hold their own in this league, however unless we can get a decent 15/20 striker i can see us battling to just stay in this League. :ayatollah:

The midfield was just ad much to blame today for our lack of goals .no creativity and no energy

They are using their energy to pass ball sideways & backwards !! :roll:

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 am

Sven wrote:Good OP, Carl. Much the same thoughts from me, as I thought the team did well other than in front of goal and Kadeem, Pilkington and Richards played well. In fact, I couldn't really fault any of our players for their effort today :ayatollah:

Nice to see a realistic and positive post as they are few and far between! :ayatollah:

Ok so things are not super rosy but its not all doom and gloom. A couple more signings and two or three wins on the bounce will change the complexion dramaticaly.

I do get pissed off with the miserable mob on here. I swear if we played world class football and lost they would still be claiming we were on course for relegation. :shock:

Its not even the glass is half empty anymore its the glass is a poison chalice and we can never drink from it! When we have a decent game most of these people dont even bother to come on here as they havent got enough to be miserable about.

I wish they would get a bloody grip and man up! Its a Marathon not a sprint and we havent even made it to past the first water station yet. :roll:

Sorry about that, rant over. :thumbup:

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:29 am

Positive rants accepted, Lyn! LOL :thumbup: :laughing6: