Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Big Problems With Formation

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:56 pm

If we put aside the enforced cost cutting, caused through incompetence at the highest level, and certainly not implemented through a concerted plan to run the club prudently and efficiently, and accept that this is the status quo for the forseeable future, then the only hope of any solidity and structure is within the playing style.

As it stands, the players are not versed enough, or adaptable enough to play with a three man midfield. The biggest problem are the three in midfield, they are to flat and slow with the ball. It's there job to too create space through short movement and quick passing, with one player acting as a pivot, basically, the play needs to be quick at the correct time, in Ralls, Immers and Whiits, we have three midfielders who like to take that extra touch, and who are one paced in thought.

The second issue is with the fullbacks, Declan john does possess pace and has decent feet, but it's plain to see that he lacks composure and quality when it matters, Richards lacks pace and stamina, and is apprehensive to get to the byline and stretch the fullback. Harris may be an option, and did well today, but wasn't enough of a threat in the positions that he should be getting into under this formation, although as it takes atleast six to seven passes to get the ball to them, it's no wonder that they're job is made even more difficult.

Fans can shout as loud as they want for a new striker (and i'd agree, there isn't a decent one at the club) but it won't make a jot of a difference who play's that roll under the current circumstances and the complete lack of creativity and speed of thought from the central three. I hate to say this, but I think that Trollope should revert back to a flat 442, as he simply doesn't have the players to implement the style of play under his system-Russell Slade also deserves a special mention in extracting creativity levels from the current squad of players, where some may have looked upon his style as a form of stability, it was nothing of the sort, his legacy was in full view today.