Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: UPDATED ' Shocking New Signing Jazz Richards '

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Mr Shed wrote:
murphy wrote:I was there and more disgusted at our fans for booing a player during the game. There was also too many Iceland chants and we got to semis chants. This is city v Brum FFS not wales v England.

Swansea/Newport/Wrexham aside, every game we play is Wales versus England. Otherwise why would we always shit on the english side of the bridge?

So when the likes of Chelsea play PSG is that England V France?

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:40 pm

murphy wrote:
Mr Shed wrote:
murphy wrote:I was there and more disgusted at our fans for booing a player during the game. There was also too many Iceland chants and we got to semis chants. This is city v Brum FFS not wales v England.

Swansea/Newport/Wrexham aside, every game we play is Wales versus England. Otherwise why would we always shit on the english side of the bridge?

Before you mention rivalry England do not look at us as rivals. They may take us more seriously now but when we play them next all our current team could be retired.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:24 am

murphy wrote:
murphy wrote:
Mr Shed wrote:

Before you mention rivalry England do not look at us as rivals. They may take us more seriously now but when we play them next all our current team could be retired.

Some good posts from you there, murphy :thumbup:

I'm all for the terrace banter, but I think many football fans (not just ours) forget to support their own team at times :(

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:24 am

I see he did do the Ayatolla then :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:56 am

Igovernor wrote:I see he did do the Ayatolla then :ayatollah:

The video shows no one doing it and the fans singing Declan do the :ayatollah: :ayatollah: with then the fans cheering.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:57 am

Bluebird1977 wrote:
alfie sherwood wrote:Supporters of a club who, on the whole, stood idly by and watched a Malaysian billionaire f**k about with large parts of its identity a few years ago are now furious and filled with fire and passion (sorry, couldn't resist) because an ex Swansea player didn't fully engage in a tired and slightly embarrassing club ritual. You couldn't make it up.

Hear f*cking hear pal to much truth for some in there :old:

SPOT ON :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:07 am

Why Cardiff City fans booed former Swansea City star Jazz Richards - the full inside story of what happened

Monday 8th August 2016

BY PAUL ABBANDONATO

Fans' representative Carl Curtis explains story of the Richards Ayatollah storm at Birmingham and points out other ex-Swans have each performed the famous gesture

Cardiff City fans have explained why they booed new signing Jazz Richards as he became embroiled in an Ayatollah controversy on his competitive debut for the Bluebirds.

The 25-year-old Wales international was jeered by travelling supporters during Saturday's 0-0 draw at Birmingham when he is reported to have refused several times to perform the famous hands on the head Cardiff ritual.

Afterwards Richards, who is from Swansea and spent eight years with Cardiff's arch-rivals, found himself the subject of an intense social media debate and his non-actions became an issue on the BBC Radio Wales after-match phone-in.

The defender, who was with Wales during Euro 2016, has yet to say why he declined to do the Ayatollah, which has become a synonymous gesture for every single new Cardiff player on their debut.

But some Cardiff fans believe his so-called refusal to acknowledge their wishes was wrong and vehemently made their views known on social media.

Others were staunchly defensive of Richards, arguing it was a fuss over nothing.

New Cardiff City signing Jazz Richards embroiled in controversy after former Swansea City star 'refuses' to do Ayatollah

Fans' representative Carl Curtis, who organises away coach travel, was one of the 1,800 Bluebirds supporters who made the trip to the Midlands to watch the team.

He gave WalesOnline his version of events, arguing Richards was asked eight times to do the Ayatollah - and even supposedly encouraged by team-mates Lex Immers and Lee Peltier.

"On each occasion it didn't happen," insists Curtis. "There has been a suggestion on the messageboard that he did actually do it once in a half and half sort of manner when defending a corner, a kind of very quick tap of the head.

"But if so I certainly didn't see that, nor did lots of others I have spoken to. And anyhow, it would need to be far more full on and obvious than that.

"We have had players who have been with Swansea previously, Jason Bowen, John Cornforth, Andy Legg. They have had no problem in doing the Ayatollah, so I hope Jazz Richards will also have no problem doing it in the future as an employee of Cardiff City FC.

"It's a tradition that we ask every debutant to do. Some foreign players don't know what it is, so have it explained to them and then they do the Ayatollah.

"We chanted for Jazz to do it seven times during the first half and also at full-time. We just wanted to then be able to chant 'Jazzy is a Bluebird, Jazzy is a Bluebird' and it's up and running... as is the case with every newcomer at our club."

Curtis explained: "We were behind the goal that Cardiff were defending in the first-half, so Richards was at our end of the pitch, so to speak.

Season ticket holder and arranger of away travel Carl Curtis outlines his disappointment at Richards
"The first Ayatollah chant of the day was right at the start of the match and directed at Paul Trollope, who was a bit further away in the dugout. He did it straight away.

"After seven minutes, there was the first "Richards, do the Ayatollah" chant. Nothing. He was nearer halfway than us at the time, although still in our half, so maybe he didn't hear?

"A couple of minutes after he was a bit closer, the chant started up again. Nothing.

"On the third occasion, when again Richards didn't do it, Immers was to his left. We can't say for certain, of course, exactly what was said between the two men. However, Immers did the Ayatollah himself, gestured and in my view it's pretty obvious he was giving Richards his guidance.

"When Richards didn't do it again, he was booed and chants of 'You Jack so and so' started. I personally didn't boo, have never done that to any Cardiff City player, but I can fully understand and appreciate why some fans did."

Curtis continued: "I counted seven times in the first half alone when we asked Richards to do the Ayatollah. On the fifth occasion, Peltier was standing by him. Once more, to me, it was obvious what Peltier was saying.

"Because Richards was at the other end of the field in the second half, we didn't ask him to do it then. But we did once more at full-time when the players walked off. Still nothing.

"I must emphasise, Richards was not booed when he was in possession of the ball. There were no question marks whatsoever about the manner in which he applied himself as a Cardiff City player during the action itself.

"Does it matter to us that he is an ex-Swansea player. Absolutely not. I will never hold against a player the fact that he played for a rival club. In fact, I was actually quite pleased and excited when I first heard Richards was joining us.

"However, the Ayatollah is synonymous with Cardiff City. If you tap your head like that, people know you're from Cardiff, are a Bluebirds fan. When someone does that, it is part of Cardiff City FC."

Curtis concluded: "I've heard people say and write that it doesn't matter that Richards refused. Fair enough, that's their view.

"But I'm one of the many who feels this is an important issue. Why? Because at matches, the fans like to be close to the players, feel we are in it together, fighting for the same cause.

"We win together, we lose together, but we're part of the same thing - and that's whether you are a player, a fan or the kit man. You want everybody to do the same thing and the Ayatollah is a fundamental part of that.

"Yes, I fully understand the players are there to win a football match and their ultimate concentration has to be on what's happening on the field of play.

"But they also have to recognise there were 1,800 fans there supporting the team at Birmingham. Richards only had to do it once, in a significant manner, not a quick half and half thing.

"If he had done, as I say, we'd have been chanting 'Jazzy is a Bluebird'. I just hope when he is asked again at the first home game, this time he responds properly."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:11 am

Annis, all I heard was Richards do the Ayatolla, then a big cheer!

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:14 am

Igovernor wrote:Annis, all I heard was Richards do the Ayatolla, then a big cheer!

Listen carefully, they are singing Declan. Theres no footage.

But to be honest,my personal opinion, I honestly don't care as why are we making so much of a fuss? yet we stood by on what really mattered when our identity was stripped from us, this to me is nothing.

:bluebird: :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 am

Yes Declan :thumbup:

Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:43 am

Igovernor wrote:Yes Declan :thumbup:

Yes it's def Declan :thumbright:

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:26 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Annis, all I heard was Richards do the Ayatolla, then a big cheer!

But to be honest,my personal opinion, I honestly don't care as why are we making so much of a fuss? yet we stood by on what really mattered when our identity was stripped from us, this to me is nothing.

Not only the fans are are becoming irrational both sides. The club are having a meltdown over this too it seems :digging2:

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:31 am

ThomasC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Not only the fans are are becoming irrational both sides. The club are having a meltdown over this too it seems :digging2:

Thomas, it's going well out of control, now the club joining in with for me lies, just a pity there we never had this for the our identity by our fans, all pathetic for me now.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:42 am

Forever Blue wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Thomas, it's going well out of control, now the club joining in with for me lies, just a pity there we never had this for the our identity by our fans, all pathetic for me now.

Annis - I'm afraid that this is still part of the saga of rebrand.
Fans wanted a fresh start after the pain, embarrassment and division.

We needed togetherness and our first game it has blown up again.

Richards as a professional should either have done it or explained why beforehand.

The rebrand was extremely difficult as it was rebrand or bust to many.
Maybe the fans have learned not to trust anyone but support actions rather than words

This was an action and the action has caused reaction.

It was an awful time to do it as we all still feel the pain. We couldn't all even follow Bluebirds Unite FFS

We must learn to come together stronger

And this boy has thrown a spanner straight in at the first opportunity to come together.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:52 am

eddiep wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Richards as a professional should either have done it or explained why beforehand.

Maybe the fans have learned not to trust anyone but support actions rather than words

It was an awful time to do it as we all still feel the pain. We couldn't all even follow Bluebirds Unite FFS

And this boy has thrown a spanner straight in at the first opportunity to come together.

WELL SAID Eddie :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:06 am

eddiep wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Agree with every thing you say except the last line.A certain MINORITY of fans will look for anything to have a crisis over,there not happy unless there finding fault where there is none.I suppose it comes from being pulled off their mothers tit too young.Blaming this lad for the fans not being able to come together is utter,utter shite.Some people really need to grow a pair.Internal shitstirrers have always been at CCFC.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:07 am

We have done this to every new signing it'd like welcome to Cardiff city the player does it they get a big cheer .
It helps bond a player to our club no matter how stupid people think it is its not a problem for a new player to do it in fact if he didn't he has a big problem why would you not do it that's the question.
Also there to many borring bastards on here and in are ground it's part of are identity now .
It'd a shocker jazz refused to do and he's now made a massive rod for his own back .
I suggest he puts it right at home straight away otherwise if he refuses again why the frog did he come here he new the score.
All we wanted was to welcome him and he turned his back so as for right now f**k him.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:08 pm

[quote="brickyblue"]We have done this to every new signing it'd like welcome to Cardiff city the player does it they get a big cheer .
It helps bond a player to our club no matter how stupid people think it is its not a problem for a new player to do it in fact if he didn't he has a big problem why would you not do it that's the question.

I can't remember the last time I agreed with one of your posts chief - but today I give your view my 100% agreement.

Even to me as a part time away supporter and full time home supporter, Jazz has fucked up big time.

You are either with us- or not.

End of!

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 pm

If he can't bring himself to do the :ayatollah: , then why did he sign? I can understand that his first loyalty is to Swansea, which is fair enough, but surely it's not too much to ask of a new player. Everyone else does it, even if some of us aren't fussed on it. Besides, it's not as if he's Alan Curtis, is it? The :ayatollah: had not been invented BITD, but Curtis had a couple of great seasons for us, and still kept his Swansea status intact. Perhaps Jazz Richards feels a little insecure? Just do it once, and then let everybody forget about this whole business. Him, and us.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:23 pm

A massive overreaction and I think this issue will get resolved by Sunday.

People are looking way too much into this to have a scapegoat ready for the season.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:24 pm

Shocking that the fans want an ardent Jack supporter playing for us.