Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" UK economy grew ahead of Brexit vote "

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:24 pm

BBC

The UK economy grew by 0.6% in the three months to the end of June, as economic growth accelerated in the run-up to the vote to leave the EU.

Second-quarter gross domestic product grew faster than expected, up from 0.4% growth in the previous quarter, the Office for National Statistics said.

Any uncertainty ahead of last month's referendum seemed "limited", ONS said.

However, by far the strongest growth was in April, followed by a sharp easing off in May and June.

On a yearly basis the economy grew by a healthy 2.2%.

The pick-up in economic activity was boosted by the biggest upturn in industrial output since 1999, particularly from car factories and pharmaceutical firms.

ONS chief economist Joe Grice said the industrial gains were reinforced by "strong growth across the services sector, particularly retailing".

"Any uncertainties in the run-up to the referendum seem to have had a limited effect," he said. "Very few respondents to ONS surveys cited such uncertainties as negatively impacting their businesses."

Economists, including those at the Bank of England, had estimated second-quarter growth would be about 0.5%.

Chancellor Philip Hammond said the better-than-expected figures showed the fundamentals of the UK economy were "strong".

"It is clear we enter our negotiations to leave the EU from a position of economic strength," Mr Hammond said.

But John McDonnell, Labour's shadow chancellor, said the figures bore little relation to workers' economic position: "Today's GDP figures provide a stark contrast with the grim news on real earnings which remain 10% below their 2007 level.

"The Tories' failed austerity policy has produced a lost decade for earnings with ordinary households experiencing the worst decline in living standards in living memory."

Industrial output, including manufacturing, grew by 2.1% in the quarter. The services sector, the largest part of the UK economy, grew 0.5%, while construction and agriculture fell 0.4% and 1% respectively.

In April industrial production jumped 2.1% month-on-month, but then dropped 0.5% in May and rose only 0.2% in June.

Services also started the quarter strongly, rising 0.6% in April, before dropping 0.1% in May and growing only 0.1% in June.

Analysts and business groups warned against using the second-quarter figures - which only included estimates of one week following the 23 June referendum - to measure the impact of the Brexit result.

Ben Brettell, senior economist at Hargreaves Lansdown said: "It's always difficult to tell where you're going by looking in the rear-view mirror, and as such today's GDP figures can't be taken as evidence of the current climate.

"However, what they do show is an absence of pre-Brexit concerns, meaning that if the forecast downturn does materialise, at least we start from a position of relative strength."

A snapshot of the economy in the weeks after the referendum, from the closely-watched Purchasing Managers Indexes (PMIs), suggested there had been a sharp fall in economic activity following the Leave vote.

The British Chambers of Commerce said it was "far too soon to draw firm conclusions" about the UK's future growth prospects.

"The significant contribution made by the manufacturing sector is particularly encouraging, but the improvements were from a low base, and the UK economy remains reliant on the service sector to drive growth," the BCC said.

The economy seems to be heading towards a "significant deterioration" in the second half of 2016, according to the National Institute of Economic and Social Research.

Connor Campbell, an analyst at Spreadex, agreed, saying: "Just because predictions of a slowdown pre-referendum appear to have been false, last week's early glimpse at the Markit PMIs shows that the post-Brexit impact is in no way a bogeyman conjured by bitter Vote Remainers."

The ONS figures are the first calculation of second-quarter economic activity and are based on less than half the data that will give the eventual figure.

The best quality data covers the earliest part of the quarter, but June's figures are based largely on forecasts.

Re: " UK economy grew ahead of Brexit vote "

Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:48 pm

I own a small amount of shares which were under £14 before Brexit and have today reached £17.

BBC website today has reports on both McDonalds and GlaxoSmithKlien announcing increased investment and jobs.

All good news.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:00 pm

stevee1966 wrote:I own a small amount of shares which were under £14 before Brexit and have today reached £17.

BBC website today has reports on both McDonalds and GlaxoSmithKlien announcing increased investment and jobs.

All good news.

most financial experts are now saying we will be fine after brexit ,the doom and gloom that's was predicted was just lies ,the eu is in free fall I think we've got out at the right time

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:40 pm

wez1927 wrote:
stevee1966 wrote:I own a small amount of shares which were under £14 before Brexit and have today reached £17.

All good news.

most financial experts are now saying we will be fine after brexit ,the doom and gloom that's was predicted was just lies ,the eu is in free fall I think we've got out at the right time

:thumbup: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:53 pm

the economy grew because most (myself included) thought it was a banker that we would vote remain.

it is highly likely we will see economic contraction in the next set of figures. short term, as we will remain in the EU there shouldn't be too much market turmoil. the real worry is when article 50 kicks off - the markets will be volatile from that point onwards.

economic growth will be curtailed by brexit in the coming years, too. i voted brexit as i believe short to medium term uncertainty and economic recession are worth the long term benefits.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:25 pm

The economy might well have grown in the 3 months before Brexit but its been an unmitigated disaster ever since unless of course people think losing 15 points or more off the dollar and ten off the Euro is a good thing... The pound is exceptionally weak now and to those who think we will be exporting more as a consequence; exporting more what exactly - we don't make f**k all anymore.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:The economy might well have grown in the 3 months before Brexit but its been an unmitigated disaster ever since unless of course people think losing 15 points or more off the dollar and ten off the Euro is a good thing... The pound is exceptionally weak now and to those who think we will be exporting more as a consequence; exporting more what exactly - we don't make f**k all anymore.

I personally have'nt noticed any difference at all, and I doubt if many others on this forum have noticed anything either. My bank shares have suffered unfortunately, but overall, most shareholders will have seen their investments rise. I guess those who opposed Brexit will continue the bad news stories for the next 20 years, even if it turns out to be the best thing that could have happened to us. Even the politicians who told us this would be the end of the world are changing their tune, and are now saying what most of us said at the time, and that was that nobody knows the exact outcome as nobody had left before.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:39 pm

wez1927 wrote:

All good news.

Wez, I think you are right :thumbup:

My opinion was always that the UK knew where it was going under the failing EU and needed to take the chance to see if it could cope on its own...and it certainly can, if 'positivity' is the key word! :ayatollah:

Thankfully, the Government (to the best of my knowledge) don't read this Forum on occasions! LOL :lol: :lol:

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:53 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:The economy might well have grown in the 3 months before Brexit but its been an unmitigated disaster ever since unless of course people think losing 15 points or more off the dollar and ten off the Euro is a good thing... The pound is exceptionally weak now and to those who think we will be exporting more as a consequence; exporting more what exactly - we don't make f**k all anymore.

I personally have'nt noticed any difference at all, and I doubt if many others on this forum have noticed anything either. My bank shares have suffered unfortunately, but overall, most shareholders will have seen their investments rise. I guess those who opposed Brexit will continue the bad news stories for the next 20 years, even if it turns out to be the best thing that could have happened to us. Even the politicians who told us this would be the end of the world are changing their tune, and are now saying what most of us said at the time, and that was that nobody knows the exact outcome as nobody had left before.

just in case you weren't aware, we haven't actually left the EU yet. the risks stated by the remain camp may or may not materialise once we eventually leave the EU.

so far, the most visible effects of the referendum have been the pound tanking (which will soon result in the cost of goods rising) and particular shares falling in value (which mainly affects investors and pension funds in the future) will as stated impact the average joe in the near future. we will also see a marked reduction in economic activity and employment in the next set of figures. its going to be a very bumpy ride in the next few years.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:06 pm

you do know that currency rates are only part of a economy? it swings and roundabouts people are investing more money into Britain since brexit coz they get more for there money ,today USA have announced that they will start importanting British lamb and beef again after a 20 year gap

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Anyone who thought the economy wouldn't suffer a little bit in the aftermath of the Brexit vote was an idiot, it's a major event in this country and every major event will have an adverse effect on the economy of the time.

No doubt in my mind though that this country will flourish economically in the long term, we've been held back hugely by being in the EU.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:Anyone who thought the economy wouldn't suffer a little bit in the aftermath of the Brexit vote was an idiot, it's a major event in this country and every major event will have an adverse effect on the economy of the time.

No doubt in my mind though that this country will flourish economically in the long term, we've been held back hugely by being in the EU.

short term pain for long term gain but it looks like it won't be that long until late we start flourishing the world market is huge with free agreements big bit of news today is USA relaxing the ban on British beef and lamb massive news for Welsh farmers

Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:14 pm

wez1927 wrote:

you do know that currency rates are only part of a economy? it swings and roundabouts people are investing more money into Britain since brexit coz they get more for there money ,today USA have announced that they will start importanting British lamb and beef again after a 20 year gap

wow - lamb and beef that should sort out all our problems... You do realise that currency is what the makes the economy go round don't you and the fact that the pound is tanking against all major currencies means we all have less of it as a consequence and that everything will cost more meaning we are all worse off. Never mind, I'm sure every importer and consumer is rubbing their hands at paying higher prices for stuff that was 15 - 20% cheaper a month ago.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:22 pm

wez1927 wrote:

What about the fact that both business and consumer confidence has fallen off a cliff, and businesses are generally putting off investments, hiring staff and other developments until they see the bigger picture.

Uncertainty is not good, and things are going to slow down dramatically over the next 6-12 months I think.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

wow - lamb and beef that should sort out all our problems... You do realise that currency is what the makes the economy go round don't you and the fact that the pound is tanking against all major currencies means we all have less of it as a consequence and that everything will cost more meaning we are all worse off. Never mind, I'm sure every importer and consumer is rubbing their hands at paying higher prices for stuff that was 15 - 20% cheaper a month ago.

I think if you check what the UK tends to export, lamb and beef are not really on the radar. Our main exports are more linked with machinery, chemicals, aircraft parts etc. I think even diamonds are quite high on our export list, and as far as I know we export more to the USA than any other country.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Owain wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

What about the fact that both business and consumer confidence has fallen off a cliff, and businesses are generally putting off investments, hiring staff and other developments until they see the bigger picture.

Uncertainty is not good, and things are going to slow down dramatically over the next 6-12 months I think.

has it ? is this why there is record levels for the FTSE 100 and 250 today and consumer spending since brexit vote has increase compared to this time last year ??? you need to get your head out of your arse British order books for exports are currently up hmmmmm more scaremongering by the sad remain supporters

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:41 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

correct, but most big companies hedge on the currency rates, and so we will only start to see the effects of the weakened pound in the coming months when their deals run out (BBC). supermarkets will raise prices soon when they have to start buying with the weaker pound.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:31 am

wez1927 wrote:
Owain wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

has it ? is this why there is record levels for the FTSE 100 and 250 today and consumer spending since brexit vote has increase compared to this time last year ??? you need to get your head out of your arse British order books for exports are currently up hmmmmm more scaremongering by the sad remain supporters

you don't seem to be able to grasp that a few kilos of beef and lamb being exported does not in anyway make up for the millions if not billions of pounds Brexit has wiped off our economy or the fact that higher import costs because of a weak pound mean higher prices for consumers of which presumably you are one. Brexit will cost proper jobs [3000 lost by Lloyds bank as a direct consequence only this morning] - creating a few extra posts serving cardboard burgers for the minimum wage or below does not come under that category. No wonder they are lovin it - all EU regulation on food hygiene etc. set to be scrapped, its worked out very nicely for a select few.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:41 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Owain wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

you don't seem to be able to grasp that a few kilos of beef and lamb being exported does not in anyway make up for the millions if not billions of pounds Brexit has wiped off our economy or the fact that higher import costs because of a weak pound mean higher prices for consumers of which presumably you are one. Brexit will cost proper jobs [3000 lost by Lloyds bank as a direct consequence only this morning] - creating a few extra posts serving cardboard burgers for the minimum wage or below does not come under that category. No wonder they are lovin it - all EU regulation on food hygiene etc. set to be scrapped, its worked out very nicely for a select few.

The exporting of lamb and beef is just one example what about all the investment announced yesterday from the pharmaceutical industry 750 million also these banking jobs were going if we stayed in or voted out of the eu anyway, open your eyes britain compared to the rest of Europe is booming it's only bitter remain supporters that are spreading doom and gloom coz they are throwing there toys out there prams :lol:

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:52 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Owain wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

THIS! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My business has already lost thousands because of the dive in the currency exchange rate, and I know many other small business owners who are in the same boat. As ever, there will be good news and bad news stories in the economy but all the intelligent data suggests it will generally get a lot worse before it gets better.
Consumers have yet to see or feel the knock on effect as many importers are trying to absorb some of their increased costs, but they can't continue to do that forever. If sterling remains at its current level for more than another 6 to 8 weeks, we will all feel the effects.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:35 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Owain wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

The streamlining of lloyds has been in the planning for a long time. Brexit may have moved things forward slightly, but is not a direct consequence. Even more job cuts will come on top of what has already been announced. There are plenty of other reasons for these job cuts, and not just the low interest rates which have affected them for many years. They have been pushing alternative banking channels on to customers for many years now, as branch banking is not cost effective in this day and age. Lloyds would like their customers to use internet, ATM's and phonebanking which is far more profitable for them. This is not a decision that has suddenly been made in the last 5 weeks, and has been in the pipeline for at least a decade if not more. Job security at Lloyds has been an ongoing issue with staff and unions for at least the last 10 years.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:54 am

McNaughtyButNice wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Owain wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

My business has already lost thousands because of the dive in the currency exchange rate, and I know many other small business owners who are in the same boat. As ever, there will be good news and bad news stories in the economy but all the intelligent data suggests it will generally get a lot worse before it gets better.
Consumers have yet to see or feel the knock on effect as many importers are trying to absorb some of their increased costs, but they can't continue to do that forever. If sterling remains at its current level for more than another 6 to 8 weeks, we will all feel the effects.

Likewise my business too... You just can't seem to get through to some people that this was not a football match and that we can always start winning again soon... Likewise, its got nothing to do with sore losers, its economic facts that are being put in front of people. But of course, the experts know nothing in these people eyes do they. The bloke in the pub is far more in the know.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:42 pm

Financial experts and commentators have made a fortune. Sold their share portfolios at a high price, talked down our economy so share prices collapse, then buy back the shares at a much lower price than they sold them at a month ago. Today they have the same amount of shares at the same price they were 2 months ago, but £1,000's in their bank accounts. They speculate on financial markets, so bad mouthing the economy was a business plan to them.

The fall in the £ is not as bad as forecast. If your busines is suffering at a rate of 1.20 euros/£1, how did you possibly survive a couple of years ago when it was almost £1= 1 euro? The £ is almost 20% higher now than it was a few years ago.

You could argue that if prices rise (imported costs rising), then inflation will increase, so the bank interest will have to rise to dampen inflation, which is also bad for businesses/mortgage holders, but good for pensioners and people with savings. Simplistic idea but it shows the balancing act of currency and interest rates.

A good businees plan is to cancel future orders. Then renegotiate at a lower price. Foreign countries are in a far worse state than the UK, so they cannot afford to lose orders. I've done it, and it creates a ripple effect in the supply chain, which is worse for the manufacturer abroad.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:30 pm

abergblue wrote:Financial experts and commentators have made a fortune. Sold their share portfolios at a high price, talked down our economy so share prices collapse, then buy back the shares at a much lower price than they sold them at a month ago. Today they have the same amount of shares at the same price they were 2 months ago, but £1,000's in their bank accounts. They speculate on financial markets, so bad mouthing the economy was a business plan to them.

The fall in the £ is not as bad as forecast. If your busines is suffering at a rate of 1.20 euros/£1, how did you possibly survive a couple of years ago when it was almost £1= 1 euro? The £ is almost 20% higher now than it was a few years ago.

You could argue that if prices rise (imported costs rising), then inflation will increase, so the bank interest will have to rise to dampen inflation, which is also bad for businesses/mortgage holders, but good for pensioners and people with savings. Simplistic idea but it shows the balancing act of currency and interest rates.

A good businees plan is to cancel future orders. Then renegotiate at a lower price. Foreign countries are in a far worse state than the UK, so they cannot afford to lose orders. I've done it, and it creates a ripple effect in the supply chain, which is worse for the manufacturer abroad.

at last someone with a bit of sense the prediction have changed again today for our economy to grow at a faster rate than prebrexit

Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
McNaughtyButNice wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Owain wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Likewise my business too... You just can't seem to get through to some people that this was not a football match and that we can always start winning again soon... Likewise, its got nothing to do with sore losers, its economic facts that are being put in front of people. But of course, the experts know nothing in these people eyes do they. The bloke in the pub is far more in the know.

Experts of whatever persuasion no enough to manipulate the markets ect ect to make money on Brexit just an excuse handed on a plate to them! :old: