Wow!!!

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wow!!!

Postby BEEP AHM » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Wow!!!

It has been revealed that the viewing figures for Wales’ EURO 2016 Quarter-Final match against Belgium were even higher than first thought.

Record breaking viewing figures

The total audience for Wales' 3-1 victory over Belgium in the Quarter-Finals of EURO 2016 was approximately 2 million, which is 70% of the total population aged 4+ in Wales.

BBC Wales explained the research and revealed the revised figures in a recent press release:

New figures reveal that even more people followed Wales at EURO 2016 than was first thought.

Initial ‘overnight’ viewing figures for Wales v Belgium in the quarter-finals suggested that up to 1.27 million people watched the match in Wales - at the time the highest ever reported TV audience in Wales for live sport. But thanks to new research*, BBC Wales can now reveal that the total audience for the match across all broadcast outlets was actually around 2 million, or 70% of the total population aged 4+ in Wales.

“Thanks to Wales’ success, it’s clear that Euro 2016 quickly grew into a massive TV phenomenon here,” said Rhodri Talfan Davies, Director of BBC Wales. “From TVs in living rooms to smartphones, and from pubs and clubs to huge fanzones, the country came together for the tournament in an unprecedented way.”

As well as additional viewing via BBC iPlayer, the figure includes adults viewing “out-of-home” - it’s estimated that almost 10% of all adults in Wales (250,000) watched the match in a bar or pub in Wales. Another 2% were watching in work or on holiday abroad - and the research suggests that as many as 75,000 adults from Wales went to France for Euro 2016 at some point during the tournament.

While the vast majority of people in Wales were watching the match on TV, 100,000 followed the match elsewhere, with roughly half of them listening to the radio and the other half glued to social media or online.

The research also shows that a significant number of people in Wales - as many as 400,000 - who were watching the match on TV, were also following it in another way at the same time - either on social media (270,000), the radio (65,000) or a website (70,000).

*Results are from a survey commissioned from Beaufort Research based on a representative sample of 610 telephone responses among adults in Wales, 3 to 5 days after the Wales v Belgium EURO 2016 quarter-final match on 1st July.
BEEP AHM

Wow!!!

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Wow!!!

Postby murphy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Football is the bggest sport in Wales. Not even an argument now.
murphy

Postby avondaleblue » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Surprised egg loving BBC Wales admitted those figures. It would appear that a successful Wales football team is more of a draw than the rugby is. :o
avondaleblue

Postby ianto13 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Lots of egg lover's like me also support Football,we don't seem to have hangup's like Football is best only supporters? In fact I support all Welsh sport and am quite happy when Swansea,Newport and Wrexham win unless it's against us!
ianto13

Postby Gaffer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:41 pm

ianto13 wrote:Lots of egg lover's like me also support Football,we don't seem to have hangup's like Football is best only supporters? In fact I support all Welsh sport and am quite happy when Swansea,Newport and Wrexham win unless it's against us!

How can you want Swansea to win ffs, do you think Man Utd fans want man City to win? They are local rivals and have no Benifit to us if they win.
Gaffer

Postby Johnny Boy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:18 pm

ianto13 wrote:Lots of egg lover's like me also support Football,we don't seem to have hangup's like Football is best only supporters? In fact I support all Welsh sport and am quite happy when Swansea,Newport and Wrexham win unless it's against us!

Is that the same for dragons scarlets ospreys ah thought not :digging2: :digging2:
Johnny Boy

Postby ianto13 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Yes when they are not playing us!
ianto13

Postby Bluebird since 1948 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Gaffer wrote:

How can you want Swansea to win ffs, do you think Man Utd fans want man City to win? They are local rivals and have no Benifit to us if they win.

It's idiots like Ianto who are sanitising our rivalry with the Jerks. This Welsh love in needs to stop as soon as the international window closes.
Bluebird since 1948

Postby Johnny Boy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:08 pm

ianto13 wrote:Yes when they are not playing us!

So lets say munster are playing dragons if dragons win they qualify for european champions cup but if they lose the blues qualify
Do u still want dragons to win cos there not playing you aha thought not :digging2: :digging2: please go and spout shit on another forum numptee
Johnny Boy

Postby Johnny Boy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:
Gaffer wrote:

It's idiots like Ianto who are sanitising our rivalry with the Jerks. This Welsh love in needs to stop as soon as the international window closes.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: yes fully agree
Johnny Boy

Postby ianto13 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:06 pm

It's time some of our Childish so called football supporters grew up,the hooligan hatred days are over except in Russia and England?
ianto13

Postby Johnny Boy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:42 pm

ianto13 wrote:It's time some of our Childish so called football supporters grew up,the hooligan hatred days are over except in Russia and England?

What the hell you on about who mentioned hooligans and the state you egg chasers get in after a internatinal you got a cheek cant say regional rugby cos no one goes :lol: :lol: and answer my question above please if its not too much trouble :bluebird: :bluebird:
Johnny Boy

Postby Bluebird since 1948 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:51 pm

ianto13 wrote:It's time some of our Childish so called football supporters grew up,the hooligan hatred days are over except in Russia and England?

No one has mentioned hooligans. We have a rivalry with Swansea, nothing will ever change that. They want us to lose and we want them to lose. You think Spurs and Arsenal fans love each other because they are English?
Bluebird since 1948

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:19 am

Oh dear, someone just doesn't 'get it'.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby murphy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Hooliganism is as dead in England as it is in Wales. As for England fans, I met a load of them in France and they were much nicer then the clowns who infest Cardiff on rugby days.
murphy

Postby murphy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Hooliganism is as dead in England as it is in Wales. As for England fans, I met a load of them in France and they were much nicer then the clowns who infest Cardiff on rugby days.
murphy

Postby ianto13 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:13 pm

When Football fans can sit next to opposition fans and fans are not kept apart by Police using Tear gas and batten charging so called fans in France then they can compare themself with Rugby fans.I have No bias or chip on my shoulder because I attend both codes.
I must say the Welsh and Irish fans in France were superb.
ianto13

Postby Gaffer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:51 pm

ianto13 wrote:When Football fans can sit next to opposition fans and fans are not kept apart by Police using Tear gas and batten charging so called fans in France then they can compare themself with Rugby fans.I have No bias or chip on my shoulder because I attend both codes.

What's wrong with you?? You Come across clueless and thick as shit don't you get the Football rivalries?
Gaffer

Postby Bluebird since 1948 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:53 pm

ianto13 wrote:When Football fans can sit next to opposition fans and fans are not kept apart by Police using Tear gas and batten charging so called fans in France then they can compare themself with Rugby fans.I have No bias or chip on my shoulder because I attend both codes.

Barely any segregation at most games nowadays, fans are split because it creates a better atmosphere.

Tear gas being used is an anomaly. Disturbances in Cardiff city center after rugby games is the norm now, don't believe me? Ask the police chief who said rugby fans behaviour is unacceptable.
Bluebird since 1948

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:48 am

What absolute nonsense.
The last thing I want to do at a City match is sit next to opposing fans and chat about the game or whatever.
Football is tribal - that doesn't mean fighting - it means rivalry, banter (sometimes over the top) and atmosphere. Atmosphere doesn't exist at club rugby matches.
I have to say, you come across as such a naive person.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Return to General Chat