BREAKING: RAY WILKINS: GUILTY AND SENTENCED

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Monday 25th July 2016

Ray Wilkins, the former England footballer turned pundit, has pleaded guilty to drink-driving after being caught at almost three times the legal limit.

He has today been given a 10-week suspended jail sentence and banned from driving for four years by Uxbridge Magistrates Court

The 59-year-old was spotted driving his Mercedes in the middle of a road straddling a bus lane in London.

Prosecutor Izolda Gribbin told Uxbridge Magistrates' Court that a member of the public "saw the driver striking a kerb on the road as well as drinking alcohol from the bottle while driving".

She said: "The defendant attempted a U-turn and his vehicle came to a stop."

Then the passer-by "took his keys from the car" to "prevent an accident from happening" along the A4 northern perimeter road on Friday, July 1.

A police car was flagged down and the officer noticed that Wilkins' eyes were "glazed, he was unsteady on his feet and there was a smell of alcohol coming from him", Ms Gribbin said.

Wilkins, who has two previous convictions for drink-driving, is part-way through a residential rehabilitation course at the Priory Hospital in Woking, Surrey. He spoke clearly from the dock to confirm his personal details.

Wilkins - a former Chelsea and Manchester United star, of Cobham, Surrey - was found to have 100mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mg per 100ml of breath.

Wilkins had been due to face magistrates in Uxbridge a week ago after being arrested near Heathrow Airport.

But his lawyer told the court on July 18 the ex-midfielder was being treated for alcoholism.

Barrister Sarah-Kate McIntyre said he was on a 28-day residential rehabilitation course at the Priory Hospital in Woking, Surrey.

She argued that the case should be put back for several weeks to allow him to complete it.

However, chairman of the bench Nash Gill put the case back for a week and said Wilkins should come to court or provide significant medical reasons why he could not.

Wilkins was capped 84 times by the Three Lions, including at the 1986 Mexico World Cup.

He played abroad for AC Milan and Paris St Germain before going on to become a manager and coach for teams including Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers.

He was arrested on July 1 on Northern Perimeter Road and charged the following day. Wilkins has two previous convictions for drink-driving from 2013.
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: BREAKING: RAY WILKINS: GUILTY AND SENTENCED

Postby SwampCCFC » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:29 pm

wilkins is a repeat offender who seems to think the law doesnt apply to him and his total lack of regard to other road users who he could easily have seriously injured or killed whilst drink driving on several occasions (his record suggests there were other times he wasn't caught) is a disgrace.
SwampCCFC

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:41 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:wilkins is a repeat offender who seems to think the law doesnt apply to him and his total lack of regard to other road users who he could easily have seriously injured or killed whilst drink driving on several occasions (his record suggests there were other times he wasn't caught) is a disgrace.

Totally agree anyone from a council estate straight to jail which I believe every drink driver should go just hope he wasn't driving like he played sideways what a selfish arrogant prick not like he couldn't afford a taxi :x :x :x
Johnny Boy

Postby BEEP AHM » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:44 pm

what you gotta do to get jailed for drink driving then? kill someone by the looks of it.......... :evil:
BEEP AHM

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:45 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:wilkins is a repeat offender who seems to think the law doesnt apply to him and his total lack of regard to other road users who he could easily have seriously injured or killed whilst drink driving on several occasions (his record suggests there were other times he wasn't caught) is a disgrace.

You are 100% correct and (as a previous victim of a serious hit-and-run traffic incident involving a drink driver) I have no sympathy for Wilkins or his ilk. He is a menace on the road and to the public who might be affected by his actions

After three similar offices in three years, he should never drive again IMHO as he simply cannot be trusted

People forget that when driving sober they are in control of what could be considered a lethal weapon and in the hands of someone with reduced judgement and control through drink, drugs, tiredness, use of mobile phones, etc., the consequences and likelihood of occurrence rise considerably :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby phildavies » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:05 pm

I personally think Drink driving should result in losing your license for life
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:19 pm

phildavies wrote:I personally think Drink driving should result in losing your license for life

And me mate my wife lost her 5 year old cousin due to a drink driver in New Zealand just selfish twats to lazy to walk home or to mean to get a taxi
Johnny Boy

Postby lyndipops » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:30 pm

I was up in Scotland recently and they have zero tolerance. All this I will have two which turns to three crap goes out the window. People are not likely to get up in the morning and think it will be alright after a skinful too.

As much as I hate drink driving I think you should have one chance where you lose your licence for a year and If your caught again you lose your licence permanently and do a spell inside.Thats significantly tougher than what we have now and then there can be no excuses.
"For an idea that does not first seem insane, there is no hope."

Albert Einstein
lyndipops

Postby TERRYB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Absolutely no doubt in my mind. Should have got a prison sentence and been disqualified from driving for life. Teza
TERRYB

Postby cardiff 74 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:32 pm

For some one who comes across squeaky clean on the radio and television and always says the right things .i can't believe that one he has a drink problem and the fact he been done a third time some drivers get prison the second time they get done he's a very lucky man he got a suspended sentence.
cardiff 74

Postby Sven » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:54 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:For some one who comes across squeaky clean on the radio and television and always says the right things .i can't believe that one he has a drink problem and the fact he been done a third time some drivers get prison the second time they get done he's a very lucky man he got a suspended sentence.

Yes, he was very lucky :(

I worked a guy who was done a second time whilst serving the first ban, if that makes sense and he was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment (suspended) and banned for 3 or 4 years

That's the simple version, as there was more involved :(

Kept his job thanks to some 'behind closed doors' shenanigans but thankfully left to do something else not too long after and was sorely missed by those around him...not! :evil:
Sven

Return to General Chat