Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' STUART O'KEEFE '

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 am

'We know what promotion takes, physically and mentally. I think we'll give it a right good go'

Monday 25th July 2016

BY PHIL SMITH

Cardiff City midfielder Stuart O'Keefe has shone on the club's pre-season tour to Germany and says the squad's confidence has been boosted

Stuart O’Keefe burst into the Cardiff City first team in the second half of last season with a series of committed displays.

Playing the full 120 minutes in Saturday’s Osnabruck tournament, he looks ready to repeat the feat this time around.

Having won a play-off race with Crystal Palace in the past, he knows what it takes to succeed in the toughest of divisions.

Q: Is it fair to say there’s a great mood about the camp about the moment?

A: Yeah, very fair. We’ve been back a few weeks now and it’s a great group of lads, we enjoy being around each other. We went to Champneys before we came here and you can see on the pitch how much we enjoy each other’s company.

Q: How are you boys assessing the rest of the division? With the likes of Newcastle United, Rafa Benitez, it’s going to be a huge but exciting challenge isn’t it?

A: It’s become like a mini Premier League. We’ll be going to Newcastle with a Champions League winner in charge of them, and it’s so enjoyable for a player to know these teams will be challenging you. Hopefully we can push them for promotion.

Q: Are you confident as a squad that you can close the gap from next season, even in a tougher division?

A: Yeah. We were just outside last year, with a few additions here and there, new formation, new ideas, I think we could give it a right good go. The Championship isn’t all about money, you can’t just expect to come down, spend and go up.

It’s relentless with your Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. You have your teams like Burton and Rotherham who’ll make it hard for you. A good group and a good core can take you a long way.

Q: This is an experienced group, you know this division and plenty of you have experienced promotion. That must give you an edge?

A: That’s right, a lot of our boys have played in this division and higher. We know what it takes physically and mentally. With the cups coming in as well, it’s hard work. With the right tweaks and the right mentality, we can go a long way.

Q: A great day for you on Saturday, getting 120 minutes under your belt. I imagine you’re exhausted but feeling pretty good?

A: Yeah, a bit of both to be honest. It’s pre-season, you need to get your minutes, it’s great for myself and the lads to go up against two decent outfits like that. There’s no injuries, everyone’s come through really well.

It was a really good day for us.

Q: Can you tell me a bit about the intensity of the games out there? It can be a bit of a mixed bag in pre-season can’t it?

A: Yeah, it can be. It can look a bit slower than it is, the pitches are a bit dry and people keep the grass long. But that was a good tempo, the boys went about it well and we got as much out of it as we wanted to.

Q: There’s obviously a few tactical changes going on at the moment, how is that affecting your game and what are you having to do differently?

A: Well obviously we’ve gone with that 3-5-2, it means there’s more bodies in midfield, there’s good options all around. I love playing in the middle with Whitts or with Rallsy or Tom (Adeyemi), or whoever. Lexy can come in there, Pilkington, Aron, we’ve so many good options. I’m really enjoying it.

Q: You seemed to have a bit more licence to get forward, particularly in the first game against Osnabruck. That seems to be something you really relish?

A: I’ve always liked to get in the box and have a go at goal, it’s nice to join in that forward role and play in front of Whitts or whoever it may be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' STUART O'KEEFE '

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:55 am

Cracking lad this boy, always comes across so well, genuine, hard worker, and a nice bloke. Glad we've got him and hope he plays as well as he did towards the mid/end of last season.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:49 am

Very encouraging.

I hope there are no in or out smilies this season.
I think us as fans have shown with Wales that we can come to get her and achieve great things with what we have.

I think a CITY AS ONE smilie is what is needed now.

Blue Army :bluescarf:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 am

ashi83 wrote:Cracking lad this boy, always comes across so well, genuine, hard worker, and a nice bloke. Glad we've got him and hope he plays as well as he did towards the mid/end of last season.

When he says we will give it a right go you know that he will as he always gives 100% in every game. Became one of my favourite players at the end of last season, especially op especially after winning goal at Bristol. Keeps the ball pretty well too and is a better footballer than many give credit.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:48 pm

I think he's our best center midfielder. Gets about, works hard, good passer and Loves a challenge.