Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' PETER WHITTINGHAM? '

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:02 am

' PETER WHITTINGHAM? '

Peter Whittingham Cardiff City's currently longest serving player,who over the last two seasons had divided Cardiff City fans opinions,some feeling it was time for Whittingham to move on and others saying he still has what it takes to be a top Championship player.

Every time people and even the media had brought Whittingham down, he seemed to come back and show he still has what it takes and Paul Trollope is known to be a big admirer of the midfield player.

New Cardiff City manager Paul Trollope plans to build his many of his young team around old head Peter Whittingham.

Peter Whittingham is key to the three man defence?

Absolutely everything went through the Cardiff veteran in the first game in Germany.

Whittingham was the first port of call for the defenders and his diagonal passes to the marauding full-backs are crucial to Cardiff City's attacking play.

You expect Championship teams will be quick to employ a midfield blocker to try and shut him down when the season starts. He is certainly unlikely to enjoy as much time on the ball as he has done in Germany.

Finding a way to protect him will be crucial to the balance of Trollope's side. He remains a tremendous asset.

Which leaves Trollope with a major midfield dilemma. Cardiff have four superb central midfielders and at most, three available spots.

WHATS YOUR OPINION OF PETER WHITTINGHAM,CAN CITY BUILD THEIR TEAM AROUND HIM?

HAS WHITTINGHAM STILL GOT WHAT IS NEEDED FOR CARDIFF CITY TO CHALLENGE FOR PROMOTION THIS SEASON?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' PETER WHITTINGHAM? '

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:19 am

Peter is genuine class.

When played correctly a vital cog in our wheel.
I hope he uses the 3 CB,s when they push up at pace this season as
He will get caught on occasion by better players.
(So will all our players to be fair)

Nice to see Trollope already looking at a plan b and a plan c though.
We should be good to watch this season -
If it clicks for us.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:18 am

Credit to DJ here,he knew how to play Whits better than any we've had since and now with a manager that appears to have the best footballing brain since perhaps we'll see a Whits renaissance. :bluescarf:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:30 am

Been a great servant for the last decade, unfortunately I don't think he's got the legs to play a high tempo game.

I believe we will see Ralls gradually taking over his position next season and Whitts moving on or being a bit part player

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:36 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Been a great servant for the last decade, unfortunately I don't think he's got the legs to play a high tempo game.

I believe we will see Ralls gradually taking over his position next season and Whitts moving on or being a bit part player

Did you watch the game yesterday? Everything went through him, he was in fine form and I don't see him being a bit part player at all.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:44 am

Great professional.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 am

The high press game is exactly that, higher up the field, so it won't affect Whitts that much.

We do need to think about Whitts replacement this season, but that isn't Ralls who just doesn't have the passing range. Ralls may be a casualty of the "Welsh" system. I can see the first choice being Whitt's / O'Keefe as the sitters.

IMO- Ralls best games were early season when played on the left side of midfield with a bit more space. For all the hype he never won a MoM (on here) since the move inside. I am not sure the Welsh system suits Ralls raw talents, his natural instinct is to travel with the ball,but, losing it with potentially five players in front of him is a recipe for disaster.

I can see two or three distinct systems as the N.Ireland proved it can be stifled, so we don't want to be too predictable.

Whitts replacement needs to be a genuine passer, as daft as it sounds that (if he stays for a few more season) could be Pilkington.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:01 am

Whites as Been absolute class since in came to us he's had dips in form like every player goes through you never see him moaning about being drop just gets his head down and battles back .pure class :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:17 am

norms76 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Been a great servant for the last decade, unfortunately I don't think he's got the legs to play a high tempo game.

Did you watch the game yesterday? Everything went through him, he was in fine form and I don't see him being a bit part player at all.

Problem is teams can shut him out way too easy
Remember West Ham in the play offs
Just stopped whitts and we were hammered excuse the pun

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:54 am

maybe the new formation will help him to have more time on the ball and less defensive work coz others can cover him ?

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:00 pm

norms76 wrote:

He won't get that amount of time and space in the championship...most teams worked him out years ago

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:05 pm

wez1927 wrote:maybe the new formation will help him to have more time on the ball and less defensive work coz others can cover him ?

Can't see it Wez most teams know all about Whitts..close him down quickly and stop him passing and he doesn't really offer anything else

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:21 pm

norms76 wrote:

I did't see the game yesterday but every ball that went through him last season was slowed down. :(

Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:59 pm

In my opinion if you set a team up that will help whitts play to his full strengths then it will make him look like one of the best players in the championship. But whitts does not do well with defensive responsibilities so there must be a player alongside him who is bursting with energy In my personal opinion I think adeyemi would be a good fit to play alongside whittingham

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:30 pm

CPbluebird02 wrote:In my opinion if you set a team up that will help whitts play to his full strengths then it will make him look like one of the best players in the championship. But whitts does not do well with defensive responsibilities so there must be a player alongside him who is bursting with energy In my personal opinion I think adeyemi would be a good fit to play alongside whittingham

O'Keefe is perfect to play alongside him, with Immers just infront IMO.

I was never convinced by Adeyemi, shit first touch and second touch was usually a tackle

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:38 pm

Fair enough but I think with game time adeyemi can be great but yes o keefe was probably the best player in the team when he came in last season

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:52 pm

It's guna be tough for him; Okeefe, Ralls, Gunnarsson all battling for the two deeper spots.

Also with, Adeyemi and Dikgacoi outsiders that could possibly make a push.

Unless he pushes him further up in the but not sure if he's got the legs.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 am

troobloo3339 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Problem is teams can shut him out way too easy
Remember West Ham in the play offs
Just stopped whitts and we were hammered excuse the pun

Thats a poor example I think troobloo,the whole team was running on empty that day if memory serves right.I think theres a few seasons left in him yet.My point is DJ knew how to play him but no-one since.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:08 am

wHITTS is Toilet !! he could sit down and read a paper for tthe entire 90mins and most of you fans will still think he's the best player in the div. so great no-one has come in for him yet again .

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:16 am

Micky J wrote:wHITTS is Toilet !! he could sit down and read a paper for tthe entire 90mins and most of you fans will still think he's the best player in the div. so great no-one has come in for him yet again .
just because he hasn't got the legs anymore doesn't mean he's garbage just look at his passing range and set pieces .

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:18 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Credit to DJ here,he knew how to play Whits better than any we've had since and now with a manager that appears to have the best footballing brain since perhaps we'll see a Whits renaissance. :bluescarf:

True and that was an attacking left-winger bagging 25 goals in all competitions :D

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:20 am

Micky J wrote:wHITTS is Toilet !! he could sit down and read a paper for tthe entire 90mins and most of you fans will still think he's the best player in the div. so great no-one has come in for him yet again .

Actually, that last sentence isn't correct. Whitts and the club have been approached on a number of occasions but he is happy at the CCS and wants to stay, so nothing has really evolved ;)

Quote (Mickey J): "Whitts is toilet!"

Well, I guess that is a matter of opinion but I suggest you look at his stats in his time at the club and note that he has been at the top for most of it, including ground covered and fitness in general ;)

Personally, I believe Whitts (like Marshall) is a big asset to the club going into this season but (having read all 17 of your posts to date; of which only one re Marshall's trip to TATA Steel has been remotely positive) I doubt you will agree, as that wouldn't fall into line with your largely negative contributions to date :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:21 am

If Whitts can read a daily rag whilst at the same time taking corners and free-kicks then he is more talented than I realised. :o

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:31 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

If Whitts can read a daily rag whilst at the same time taking corners and free-kicks then he is more talented than I realised. :o

:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Mickey J's comments are going down the pan! :laughing6:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am

Actually, that last sentence isn't correct. Whitts and the club have been approached on a number of occasions but he is happy at the CCS and wants to stay, so nothing has really evolved ;)

Show me the proof then? it's all be rumours!

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:53 am

Micky J wrote:
Actually, that last sentence isn't correct. Whitts and the club have been approached on a number of occasions but he is happy at the CCS and wants to stay. The club are happy for him to stay too, so nothing has really evolved ;)

Show me the proof then? it's all be rumours!

As is your assumption that no one has approached the club, fella! ;) :lol:

Rumours?? Welcome to football transfer world, fella! ;) :lol:

Mind you, it does helps when your mate lives a door or two from him (my ex-boss in the case of Marshall) and I've not been wrong on either yet! ;) :lol:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Whittingham in a 3 man midfield with extra legs around him will bring out the best in him. He will need 2 runners in there with him though, my picks would be Gunnarsson and O'Keefe. That would mean Ralls would miss out, unless Ralls slots in at left wing back.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:42 pm

The championship is a squad game and I think Ralls and whitts will rotate Ralls youth probably will give him the edge,I love whitts and I hope he finds a way to be back at his best but I think he'll see a fair bit of the bench this season I reckon our midfield three will be Ralls O'Keeffe an gunnarsson

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:03 am

Sven wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Mickey J's comments are going down the pan! :laughing6:

'Whitts is toilet' ... Doesn't even deserve an answer really Chris, it's one of the most daft, childish and inane comments I've seen on here in a long time.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:39 am

Do you love lamp?