Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VIDEO-VIOLENCE FLARES WITH UP TO 2,000 DESCEND ON TOWN '

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:05 pm

VIDEO
Link

' VIOLENCE FLARES WITH UP TO 2,000 FANS DESCEND ON TOWN '

Grimsby Telegraph

Pubs ordered to shut as 2,000 football fans descend on Cleethorpes ahead of GTFC match

Worst violence in 34 years
A long serving steward at Blundell Park said it was the worst violence he had witnessed since Stoke City visited Cleethorpes in 1982. He saw 100 Sheffield United fans fighting outside the ground before the game.

By Peter Craig

Saturday July 23, 2016

Grimsby v Sheffield United

Trouble has begun to flare among rival football fans ahead of Grimsby Town FC's match with Sheffield United.

Police officers with batons drawn had to shepherd a number of fans away from outside the former O'Neills pub on Cleethorpes High Street.

The violence flared at shortly before 1pm after fans had been drinking in the resort since the early morning.

Police tried to separate rival fans and ensure families walking along the street and in the Market Place were not injured by the brawling fans.

Car were stopped from going along High Street and the Market Place has been blocked to traffic, an onlooker said.

He said: "There are hundreds of Sheffield fans. They have been drinking all morning. There have been fights breaking out all over."

Up to seven riot vans were seen in the Market Place.

16:29 Police say 2000 fans descended on resort
A Humberside Police spokesman said: "We are aware and are positively dealing with the large amount of football fans who arrived early in Cleethorpes, before the Grimsby and Sheffield match began at 3pm.

"It is estimated about 2000 Sheffield fans came early to the seaside town. No offences have been reported and no-one has been arrested.

"We are in the town in large numbers for reassurance purposes and have many years worth of match management to ensure a peaceful game is had."

15:50 Bars shut down by order of police
All bars in Cleethorpes have been ordered to shut immediately in the after math of all the fighting. Licensing officer Ken Stone made the order. Bars will be closed for a time after the football match as well.Dan Sumner of Harveys bar said the closure order could be for an hour after the final whistle.

15:47
Comments(0)

15:46 Police
The Police helicopter is up above Blundell Park.

15:45 Aftermath of battles with fans
Uneasy calm decends on Cleethorpes as traders concerned of more troubles

15:36 Hooligans move off.
Traders begin clear up as hooligans head towards Blundell Park. Police dogs head back to van. Deborah Churchill Napier of Debonair said "Its the worst I have seen in 16 years here. There has been far more trouble than the derby games with Lincoln."

15:35 Fans dropped in Cleethorpes.
Stewards at the ground report that the away coach drivers have dropped fans in Cleethorpes before the game, then arrived at Blundell park empty.

15:32 Traders terrified
Spokeswoman for Megs salon said "We have had to pull down our shutters because there was glass flying everywhere. We have lost a customer because she heard about the trouble."

15:27 Running battles
Sheffield United fans in pitched and running battles with police. Large numbers of officers forming a line to block hooligans going from Cross Street on to College Street.

15:21 Road blocked
Police attept to herd the hooligans away from the High Street.. More thugs turning up all the time from all directions. They have no interest in football.

15:19 Running fights
Mass brawl on High Street Cleethorpes. Hundreds fighting and challenging police . They wield batons. . Glass bottles lobbed through the air. Passersby terrified.

15:07 Tickets
A Sheffield fan said that hundreds have arrived without tickets for the game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' VIOLENCE FLARES WITH UP TO 2,000 FANS DESCEND ON TOWN

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:06 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:13 pm

17:06 Fans penned in as they try to leave game early

Hundreds of so-called Sheffield United fans try to leave the stadium ahead of the second half. But police officers in riot gear prevent the departure and pen them in.

17:03 Worst violence in 34 years
A long serving steward at Blundell Park said it was the worst violence he had witnessed since Stoke City visited Cleethorpes in 1982. He saw 100 Sheffield United fans fighting outside the ground before the game.

16:29 Police say 2000 fans descended on resort
A Humberside Police spokesman said: "We are aware and are positively dealing with the large amount of football fans who arrived early in Cleethorpes, before the Grimsby and Sheffield match began at 3pm.

"It is estimated about 2000 Sheffield fans came early to the seaside town. No offences have been reported and no-one has been arrested.

"We are in the town in large numbers for reassurance purposes and have many years worth of match management to ensure a peaceful game is had."

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Bars shut down by order of police

Bars in Cleethorpes will be closed between 5pm and 7pm tonight. Humberside Police said in a statement the closure order was in response to the violence before the match. Humberside Pilice thanked licence holders for their co-operation

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:38 pm

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:38 pm

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:39 pm

Mass brawl on High Street Cleethorpes. Hundreds fighting and challenging police . They wield batons. . Glass bottles lobbed through the air. Passersby terrified.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:32 pm

I had to turn my eyes from those pictures. That's hard core!

:laughing5:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:28 am

griff105 wrote:I had to turn my eyes from those pictures. That's hard core!

Yes - shocking! - I bet those Russians are shitting themselves! :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:17 am

Shocking didn't realise Cleethorpes was a resort :shock:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:08 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Shocking didn't realise Cleethorpes was a resort :shock:

nothing wrong with cleethorpes got family there, had many a fight there :lol:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:20 am

wez1927 wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Shocking didn't realise Cleethorpes was a resort :shock:

nothing wrong with cleethorpes got family there, had many a fight there :lol:

Cleethorpes is a tough hard working town :ayatollah:

Re: VIDEO-VIOLENCE FLARES WITH UP TO 2,000 DESCEND ON TOWN '

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:14 am

Video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 1AnmUljE4U

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:18 am

Cars were damaged pubs smashed

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:19 am

Arrests

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:20 am

More trouble

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:51 am

Trouble lasted for 3hrs

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:51 am

Yesterday

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:52 am

Yest

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:26 pm

mugsy wrote:
griff105 wrote:I had to turn my eyes from those pictures. That's hard core!

Yes - shocking! - I bet those Russians are shitting themselves! :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

:laughing6:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Why?

A large group of people, including groups with apparently a low mental age causing problems for ordinary people who just want to carry on with their day to day lives in a peaceful manner.

Should those causing trouble

A) be encouraged as just " lads" ?

B) be condemned by all and made examples of when arrested and charged?

Which view do you take Annis as you have a degree of influence through this board?

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:53 pm

ccfcsince62 wrote:Why?

A large group of people, including groups with apparently a low mental age causing problems for ordinary people who just want to carry on with their day to day lives in a peaceful manner.

Which view do you take Annis as you have a degree of influence through this board?

As you very well Keith know. I am a family man nowadays and you personally see me at every game with my daughter.
Yes I was a bit of lad growing up, but we mostly all move on, I certainly have.

Have I done anything so really bad in life compared to what is happening in Society, No in my opinion, but I would Say this everyone out there all this now a days is really not worth it and to be honest I only report it like I report everything else.

But funny thing is Keith, more people view these topics than any others.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:09 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

As you very well Keith know. I am a family man nowadays and you personally see me at every game with my daughter.

Have I done anything so really bad in life compared to what is happening in Society, No in my opinion, but I would Say this everyone out there all this now a days is really not worth it and to be honest I only report it like I report everything else.

Annis

You and I disagree on many things but one thing I have no doubt about is that you are now very much a dedicated and true family man.

But you didn't answer my question.

Do you condone or condemn the actions of people like the Sheffield. It'd who caused such people and indeed caused distress to many people, including local families.How would you feel if your daughters were confronted or upset by these thugs? Would you still regard them as harmless " lads" or should they be discouraged from their actions by stiff penalties?
I know that if , say, I was on a seaside trip ( as many innocent people caught up in this) with my granddaughter these " lads" caused her to experience fear or danger, I would be delighted if they were arrested and given long prison sentences. Wouldn't you?

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:10 pm

There was trouble at sheffield bus station according to some one at work by grimsby fans not sure when though. Probably some kind of revenge thing. :roll:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 pm

ccfcsince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis

You and I disagree on many things but one thing I have no doubt about is that you are now very much a dedicated and true family man.

Do you condone or condemn the actions of people like the Sheffield. It'd who caused such people and indeed caused distress to many people, including local families.How would you feel if your daughters were confronted or upset by these thugs? Would you still regard them as harmless " lads" or should they be discouraged from their actions by stiff penalties?
I know that if , say, I was on a seaside trip ( as many innocent people caught up in this) with my granddaughter these " lads" caused her to experience fear or danger, I would be delighted if they were arrested and given long prison sentences. Wouldn't you?

Keith,
As you know I am straight to the point even if might upset some.
I don't support or back it and I was and still am against innocent people being caught up in any sort of violence/trouble,

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
ccfcsince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis

Keith,
I don't support or back it and I was and still am against innocent people being caught up in any sort of violence/trouble,

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought that is your current view on these things but your earlier posts didn't make that clear.

Unfortunately some who post on here don't seem to have the same opinion and still seem to think that this "lads " behaviour is harmless and acceptable

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:54 pm

So long as it's lads vs lads who all want the same thing then let them get on with it. No ordinary fans should ever be targeted as some of the Russians did in France. We certainly can't cast any aspersions given our past history up and down the country year after year :bluebird:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 am

Blueboys1927 wrote:So long as it's lads vs lads who all want the same thing then let them get on with it. No ordinary fans should ever be targeted as some of the Russians did in France. We certainly can't cast any aspersions given our past history up and down the country year after year :bluebird:

good post :thumbup:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:50 pm

ccfcsince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
ccfcsince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis

Keith,

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought that is your current view on these things but your earlier posts didn't make that clear.

Unfortunately some who post on here don't seem to have the same opinion and still seem to think that this "lads " behaviour is harmless and acceptable

It just football lads behaviour, just because you don't have any balls doesn't make it worng. BOOO :lol: