Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I MET A CARDIFF CITY LEGEND TODAY IN SCOTLAND!!!

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Who incredibly enough is the wife of John Buchanan! :ayatollah:

I thought this would be of interest to a few on here particularly some of the older City supporters. :bluescarf:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... hn-6265174

I happened to meet South Wales derby legend John Buchanan's wife in a souvenir shop in Inverness! Jane who used to play for Cardiff City Ladies herself said I had just missed John (now 65) but he had been there this morning. It was great talking to her as she had remarkable enthusiasm for Cardiff City, and im sure she will be looking at this post as I told her I was going to do it. Mai and Roy Daniels used to run the Cardiff City suporters club in Cilfynydd outside Pontyprid and she used to be heavily involved with them too. Both have now sadly passed on.
image.jpeg

Jane played me this Youtube video which she is really proud of and who can blame her! The last few seconds are an incredible moment in the history of Ninian Park! :ayatollah: :D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvrAXaZKfg

Jane said that her and John were on holiday in Portugal about a month ago and they saw a man coming the other way with his head down and John recognised him, "dont you remember me" he said "we were on trial for Arsenal in 1969". It was Bob Wilson who used to be the goalie for Arsenal. Small world isnt it! I got a photo of the picture off her phone.
image.jpeg

Aparently John used to be good friends with Phil Dwyer who was Cardiff City Captain and used to play for Wales. Jane showed me the below picture on her computer of John.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: I MET A CARDIFF CITY LEGEND TODAY IN SCOTLAND!!!

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:52 pm

I'd like to know more about the ladies team from her time. About the friendlies/fixtures they played

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:58 pm

My mate who know lives in Blackpool passed the ball to him when he fired that rocket into the swansea net .my mate wayne Hughes from port talbot he told many times soon has it left his foot he new it was going in

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:16 pm

I will always rem his equaliser in 1980 v the Jacks 3-3 what a shot/goal we all went crazy in the dying mins :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:46 pm

Looks like a few jacks in the Cardiff crowd! Must have been before the crowd trouble between the two!?

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:07 am

Forever Blue wrote:I will always rem his equaliser in 1980 v the Jacks 3-3 what a shot/goal we all went crazy in the dying mins :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

A truly fantastic event...and feeling! :thumbup: :ayatollah: :laughing6: :laughing6:

And it was no fluke, as John scored with a 'thunderbolt' far too often for that! :)

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:53 am

Forever Blue wrote:I will always rem his equaliser in 1980 v the Jacks 3-3 what a shot/goal we all went crazy in the dying mins :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

I was at that game and remember the goal. Who could forget!!?

What a great story that is from th OP.
Isn't that George Best in the pic with John Buchanan? I remember him playing for Fulham at one time.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:25 am

JB is one of my all time favorite City players, & if any ex city player could be described as a "Warrior", then that title would go to him. A strong & fearless midfielder, but also an honest one to,,,,an example that many players today could do well to emulate.

His free kick goal v Swansea City is legendary, but I was also privileged to witness his one & only hat-trick for City, a 4-0 win v Sheffield Utd , 1979ish.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:07 am

It was a bloody thunderbolt mind wasn't it! I bet that ball weighed about 10kg too, that would split the net nowadays! :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:25 pm

nubbsy wrote:Looks like a few jacks in the Cardiff crowd! Must have been before the crowd trouble between the two!?

over 50 arrest if my memory serves me right, funny I can still remember that all these years later, must be something wrong with me.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:24 am

John buccannon was a true gentleman,as a youngster playing football we would regularly invite city players to our presentation night, john always turned up,great man great player.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 am

Another great goal he scored was the winner against Wrexham in the fa cup in the last minute of an epic fa cup tie which we won three two

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:53 am

thanks lyndpops for putting this on i'm really happy to see john looking so well brought back a lot of nice memories i was at the game with fulham which george best played in we won 3 nil if you do read this jane i hope you and john have a long and happy retirement

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:02 pm

glyncoed4 wrote:thanks lyndpops for putting this on i'm really happy to see john looking so well brought back a lot of nice memories i was at the game with fulham which george best played in we won 3 nil if you do read this jane i hope you and john have a long and happy retirement

Glad I could be of service. All the best John and it was great to meet you Jane. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:54 pm

Remember that hatrick v Sheff Utd - two long range snorters...marvellous.
Was at the Fulham game, first time on the Grange. Can't remember now, but I thought Besty didn't come on...

John Buchanan...

Tra-la-la la la la