PORTUGAL v WALES
Euro 2016 Semi-Final
Wednesday 6th July 8pm
Stade de Lyon, Lyon

' LATEST NEWS ' :thumbright: :thumbright:

Pepe is out injured tonight for Portugal :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Ricardo Carvalho in line to replace Pepe tonight

BETTING ODDS

Odds: 10/11 Portugal; 11/4 Wales; 2/1 Draw.

Bets: By right this should be an entertaining game, with two of the world’s star performers in Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo on show. But with a final place so close you can almost touch it, the draw in 90 minutes looks the bet at 2/1.

06th July 2016

Portugal centre-back Pepe is a major injury concern for the Euro 2016 semi-final against Wales on Wednesday

Gareth Bale press conference "it's not about one player it's about the team" #WAL #TogetherStronger :ayatollah:

Aaron Ramsey and Ben Davies have two yellow cards, so they are ruled out of semi-final.

Match preview

Wales and Portugal will play each other in the Euro 2016 semi-final. Portugal go into this match as relatively strong favourites. But both sides will believe they have enough to make a the final. For Portugal, it would be their 2nd and for Wales, it would be their first ever final in a major tournament.

Portugal are yet to win a match in 90 minutes, and finished 3rd in their group. Wales have now won four games, and lost one. Wales are yet to play extra time in this tournament while Portugal have done so twice - winning on one occasion and emerging victorious on penalties in the other.

Likely line-ups

Portugal

01 Rui Patrício
21 Soares
03 Pepe
04 Fonte
19 Eliseu
08 Moutinho
10 João Mário
16 Renato Sanches
23 Adrien Silva
17 Nani
07 Ronaldo

Wales

01 Hennessey
05 Chester
06 Williams
19 Collins
02 Gunter
07 Allen
16 Ledley
08 King
03 Taylor
11 Bale
09 Robson-Kanu

Portugal

Best result: Runners-up (2004)
Coach: Fernando Santos
Leading scorer: Cristiano Ronaldo (60)
Most appearances: Cristiano Ronaldo (131)
Association formed: 1914
Nickname: Selecção das Quinas
Where they play: Estádio do Jamor

The Portugal national football team represents Portugal in association football and is controlled by the Portuguese Football Federation, the governing body for football in Portugal. Portugal's home ground is the Estádio Nacional in Oeiras (however, many recent games have been played at the Estádio da Luz), and their most recent head coach is Fernando Santos. Their first World Cup appearance, in the 1966 FIFA World Cup, saw them reach the semi-finals, losing 2–1 at Wembley to the eventual world champions, England, and defeating the Soviet Union 2–1 to claim a third-place finish. The next two times Portugal qualified for the World Cup were 1986 and 2002, going out in the first round both times. In the 1986 tournament, players went on strike over prize money and refused to train between their first and second games.

Previous meetings

Wales and Portugal have only ever met three times, with the last coming in 2000. This is the first competitive meeting between the sides.

Portugal 3-0 Wales (June 2000)
Wales 2-1 Portugal (May 1951)
Portugal 3-2 Wales (May 1949)

Form

Wales 3-1 Belgium
Wales 1-0 Northern Ireland
Russia 0-3 Wales
England 2-1 Wales
Wales 2-1 Slovakia

Poland 1-1 Portugal
Croatia 0-1 Portugal
Hungary 3-3 Portugal
Portugal 0-0 Austria
Portugal 1-1 Iceland

Match odds

Portugal 23/20
Wales 3/1
Draw 21/10

Qualification odds

Portugal 8/15
Wales 6/4

Where can I watch it?

The match will be shown live on ITV and S4C.

Guess the score

Post your predictions below :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' LATEST NEWS ' PORTUGAL v WALES ' MATCH THREAD

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:08 pm

I think it going to be tight, extra time even. 2-2, & then lottery of penalties. :o

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:13 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I think it going to be tight, extra time even. 2-2, & then lottery of penalties. :o

That wouldnt suprise me but who knows the way things have gone so far! :?

Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:02 pm

1-0 Wales
Bale scoring a penalty
Ronaldo getting sent off

If Carlsberg made semi finals.........

Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Welsh Exile wrote:1-0 Wales
Bale scoring a penalty
Ronaldo getting sent off

If Carlsberg made semi finals.........

Or should that be if "Brains" made semi finals.......

Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:33 pm

Aaron Ramsey and Ben Davies have two yellow cards, so they are ruled out of semi-final.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:15 pm

I think this is what I'd go for against Portugal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:59 am

Aron Gunnarsson: Iceland are quite similar to Wales in their attitude and desire

By Jeorge Bird

Sunday July 3, 2016

Iceland midfielder Aron Gunnarsson believes there are similarities between his nation and semi-finalists Wales.

Both Iceland and Wales have defied the odds to reach the latter stages of Euro 2016, with Wales through the semi-finals, while Iceland will be seeking to join them in the last four when they take on France tomorrow night.
As reported by Goal, Gunnarsson said: “Like we knew before the tournament, [Wales] were not favourites to reach that far and we weren’t either.
“It’s a joy to watch and I think Wales are a force to be reckoned with. They have got a good squad, good players and tough togetherness.
“They are showing a great attitude and desire to win football matches and it’s something we can learn from them. We are also quite similar to them in that respect.”

Gunnarsson has certainly played his part in Iceland’s run in the tournament, with the Cardiff City player having caused all manner of problems for opponents with his long throws.

Iceland, like Wales, are extremely well organised defensively, while they also possess an attacking threat. Gunnarsson, meanwhile, has averaged six defensive actions per game at the tournament so far and will have a major part to play against France today.

Iceland will be seeking to take advantage of the fact that France will be without Adil Rami and N’Golo Kante through suspension. The hosts still have some dangerous players that can cause problems for Iceland, such as Dimitri Payet and Antoine Griezmann, but Iceland won’t be fazed by the size of the task facing them.

The winners of tonight’s game will take on Germany in the semi-final, but, as unlikely as it may seem, there is still a possibility of a Wales-Iceland final.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 am

Aaron Ramsey 'gutted' to miss Wales' Euro 2016 semi-final with Portugal but insists team can reach final without him

Sunday 3rd July 2016

BY PAUL ABBANDONATO

Ramsey admits it has yet to sink in fully he is out of biggest game of his career, but declares: "I will be right behind my team, cheering them on and kicking every ball"

Aaron Ramsey says he is 'gutted' to be missing Wales' Euro 2016 semi-final showdown with Portugal but backed his team-mates to send Chris Coleman's team roaring into the final.

And he declared: "I will be right behind them...kicking every ball."

Wales' midfield maestro misses Wednesday night's game in Lyon because of suspension, after picking up his second yellow card of the tournament in the thrilling 3-1 triumph over Belgium.

Defender Ben Davies is also suspended for the game, with Andy King and James Collins likely to come into Coleman's side to face the Portuguese.

Ramsey was yellow-carded for handball on Friday night, having previously been booked during injury time of the last 16 win over Northern Ireland.

Speaking about his suspension for the first time, he told the media: "It was a sort of natural reaction and I knew straight away it was a yellow.

"I'm really gutted. We have to beat Portugal. I am sure it will sink in before then that I will not be playing, but I will be right behind my team, cheering them on and kicking every ball. I will be right in the mix of it, so hopefully they can do it.

"I'm confident in the players we have to step in and get us to the final.

"We are a team and we showed it against Belgium. It is about this team showing what we are capable of doing and getting to the final."

Ramsey was man of the match against Belgium, setting up two of Wales' goals and producing a sublime pass to Chris Gunter to help assist for Sam Vokes' header.

He said: ""I wanted to stand up and be counted, so I am delighted I was able to help my team and grab a couple of assists that meant we won quite comfortably in the end.

"It was a very special night for us. We have a great team, great staff, great fans - and when you have the right balance then special nights like this can happen.

"Of course everyone is ready to step in for myself and Ben. Everyone wants to achieve something special for each other."

Aaron Ramsey celebrates at the final whistle, even though he misses the semi-final.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:26 am

Hennessy
Collins Williams Chester
Richards Ledley Allen Williams Gunter
Bale
Robson Kanu

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:49 am

Wales 5-2

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:14 am

' Pride and Passion '

Sunday 3rd July 2016

Media Wales

Gareth Bale dropped something of a grenade when he stated Wales had more passion than England as a football nation.

Cue outcry from Roy Hodgson and Wayne Rooney, who said it was rubbish. Was it, though?

When did you last see a Hodgson team, or a Three Lions side Rooney has played in, display as much stirring pride and passion as we witnessed from Wales in overcoming Belgium on Friday night?

Rooney and his colleagues wilted as they went behind to Iceland. Wales rallied when Belgium took the lead, rolled up their sleeves and forced their way back into the match.

When did you last see an England team interact with the fans the way Wales have with their Red Wall at these Euros?

Liverpool’s fans are generally regarded as the most fervent in the country. Wales have become the international version of them. Appropriate that the two sets of supporters each wear red.

They used to say the Kop would suck in goals at Anfield, make the Liverpool players run faster, tackle harder, shoot stronger.

Well it’s this pride and passion with Wales that enables players like James Chester and Hal Robson-Kanu to suddenly look like world-beaters.

Chester was a West Brom reserve for most of last season. Robson-Kanu doesn’t even have a club. Ben Davies can’t make Tottenham’s team, Jurgen Klopp overlooks Joe Allen with Liverpool.

Yet they come together with Wales, feed off the passion created from the fans and within the team room, and look international giants.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:15 am

' Together, Stronger "

Sunday 3rd July 2016

The 'Together Stronger' theme runs through into the dressing room

This, of course, is the official FA of Wales mantra that was dreamed up by marketing gurus to try to bond a rugby-mad nation and bring football into vogue.

Under the guise of their new chief executive Jonathan Ford, who himself had a strong marketing background with Coca Cola, Wales had previously tried ‘Your Voice, Your Game, Your Country’ and also ‘It’s Time To Believe’.

None worked, so in came TogetherStronger - which basically meant a Welsh nation united. Players, coaching staff, FAW official, fans, media, the lot.

In football parlance, Wales are a small nation. The only way they could punch the big guns on the nose, so to speak, was for EVERYBODY to pull in one direction.

The Twitter hashtag, and the rationale for the slogan, was explained to Gareth Bale. Without any prompting, he started to tweet it out. Other players followed suit.

It has since been used in millions of tweets, as a matter of routine these days, and is the centrepiece of Wales’ success. The players buy into it, the fans buy into it.

Together they are one. Stronger for it, too.

The 'Together Stronger' theme runs through into the dressing room

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 am

The best anthem in the world

By Media Wales

Sunday 3rd July 2016

Even English TV pundits are beginning to say listening to the Welsh anthem makes the hairs stand up on the back of their neck.

How can it not? This, too, is part of the TogetherStonger, pride and passion mantra that drives the players on.

The Welsh players didn’t always sing the anthem and that used to really annoy fans, particularly as the rugby team belted it out with such gusto.

Gary Speed made it mandatory to sing, Chris Coleman has carried that on and his No2 Osian Roberts, who is in charge of the age-grade teams, insists players from under-16s upwards follow suit.

Roberts is a proud Welsh speaker himself and helped the Anglos in the side learn the words phonetically.

It is why Ashley Williams, who comes from the Midlands, sings as loudly as anyone and why James Chester, from Warrington, and Hal Robson-Kanu, from London, are there belting out the words in unison with the fans.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:23 am

It helps to have stellar players

Media Wales

Sunday 3rd July 2016

Passion can only get you so far. It doesn’t half help when you also have special footballers and in Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey Wales have two of the finest around.

Bale is up there amongst the greatest in the world with the likes of Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar.

Ramsey rivals Luka Modric and Paul Pogba when it comes to the finest midfielders around today.

When they are on song, the stardust they sprinkle makes Wales an unstoppable force.

No team at the Euros has two more creative players than these two. It’s a fundamental reason why Wales win.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:28 am

The best backroom team in the world

That’s how Aaron Ramsey described Coleman’s staff, and remember he’s used to money-laden Arsenal in the Premier League.

Sunday 3rd July 2016

They talk of the extra one-per cents in sport and Wales have an Army of sports scientists who give Ramsey and Co a cutting edge.

The team includes Head of Performance Ryland Morgans, who helped get Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard and Co in top-top condition with Liverpool, and his deputy Adam Owen, who worked with Celtic and Rangers.

Dr Ian Mitchell, the first performance psychologist in the Premier League with Swansea City, has also been recruited to do aid mind set and help Coleman’s own leadership skills.

These unknown backroom members do the job for the love of Wales, certainly not the money because their match fees are way below their professional status.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:48 am

Vince and Corky are Pleased to announce we will have an @RCTCouncil Fanzone again Wednesday for Semi Finals Wales v Portugal

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Latest from Vince Alm

‪#‎fansembassies‬ information Lyon voucher exchange point. Stade De gerland up the steps from the exit st the top turn left follow road around bearing right on footpath on busy junction, and the entrance is about 70 meters down

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Gareth Bale press conference "it's not about one player it's about the team" #WAL #TogetherStronger :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:16 pm

Portugal centre-back Pepe is a major injury concern for the Euro 2016 semi-final against Wales on Wednesday

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Neath Bluebird wrote:Hennessy
Collins Williams Chester
Richards Ledley Allen Williams Gunter
Bale
Robson Kanu

What's Taylor done to be dropped then?

I'd put Gunter in the CB position and leave Taylor and Richards as the wing backs. We need pace at the back and for me, Collins is too slow.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:47 pm

Wales 2 nil. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Chris Coleman ready to put his faith in James Collins for Portugal tie only three years after Wales duo's fall-out
Chris Coleman and James Collins fell out over miscommunicated call-up
Coleman could switch Chris Gunter to centre back and play Jazz Richards
The manager hailed defender Collins for his professionalism on Monday
Collins has only featured for a few minutes during Euro 2016 in France
By LAURIE WHITWELL FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 22:30, 4 July 2016 | UPDATED: 22:30, 4 July 2016

Chris Coleman would have no qualms about starting James Collins for Wales against Portugal, in a move that would represent a significant turnaround from three years ago when the pair had a major fall-out.
Collins could replace suspended defender Ben Davies, with Coleman hailing the West Ham defender’s big personality as a positive influence.
Coleman could switch Chris Gunter to centre back and play Jazz Richards as right wing-back but should Collins feature it would complete a comeback that seemed implausible in 2013.

The pair had a bust-up when Coleman said he tried to call up Collins for World Cup qualifier against Serbia at home but was turned down. Collins denied the claim and insisted he had heard nothing from the Football Association of Wales.
Both maintained they were right, sparking a bitter stand-off but a month later Wales suffered a massive injury crisis and Coleman arranged to meet Collins for a coffee in Cardiff to clear the air.
Remarkably, they arranged a public setting to avoid the temptation for any disagreements to get physical.
They buried the hatchet and Collins played in two qualifiers, in which Wales beat Macedonia and drew with Belgium.
Collins came off the bench late on in the quarter-final win over Belgium for his first minutes in France but is an option as Wales look to shackle Portugal talisman Cristiano Ronaldo.

‘If the big man slots in, I won’t have any worries,’ said Coleman. ‘Professional players are different to my day but Ginge is the closest that I have seen in the modern-day player.
'He is older than most of our boys. He has been there and seen it. He has that experience and is a bit different.
‘He knows the drill, he knows what’s needed and I’m sure he’ll give us whatever he’s got.’

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:24 am

What's happened to William Carvalho? He looked a good player in their group games.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:44 am

buckleys brewery wrote:What's happened to William Carvalho? He looked a good player in their group games.

Same as Ramsey, one match suspension.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:59 pm

As Portugal prepare to compete for a place in the Euro 2016 final, the defender reflected on his route up in international football
Jose Fonte spoke with pride over how his journey to the Euro 2016 semi-final is dramatically different to the one enjoyed by Cristiano Ronaldo, as the Portugal team-mates prepare to face Wales on Wednesday.
While Ronaldo's rise to prominence saw him become the world's most expensive player and Real Madrid's all-time top scorer among other notable highlights, Fonte's career has included turning out for Southampton in each of the top three divisions in English football.
But the Saints' return to the Premier League in 2012 handed Fonte a platform to make a name for himself and gain international recognition, with the 32-year-old - who only made his Portugal debut in November 2014 - in line to start against Wales in Lyon.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Odds: 10/11 Portugal; 11/4 Wales; 2/1 Draw.

Bets: By right this should be an entertaining game, with two of the world’s star performers in Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo on show. But with a final place so close you can almost touch it, the draw in 90 minutes looks the bet at 2/1.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Portugal are going to crumble tonight, they haven't real pressure yet, we go ahead, they will squabble, player sent off & 4-1 Wales - that is not biased - its the way I see it :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Ricardo Carvalho in line to replace Pepe tonight

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:36 pm

3-1 Wales