Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: sign to stop 2nd referendum

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:48 pm

City Slicker wrote:There will never be any "BREXIT" There will be another referendum and it will be decisively Remain. People may well bleat over the thwarting of "democracy" but there are too many mega interests against it to allow it to happen.

As soon as a Hilary Clinton administration (thanks be to God) starts to work on Britain and the USA and Germany chivvy up the EU commission there will be a new deal and reconciliation on the table. Business leaders will lobby the Government with all sorts of threats to accept and there will be no wriggle room. By then, and we may be talking at least two years, a more centre right Europhile, Tory Government will urge the electorate to back the new deal. The right wingers will be marginalised.

There will be some sop to the anti immigration quarter in that the EU will agree a temporary restraint on free movement, but there will be an overwhelming united exhortation to accept the EU deal. Too much is at stake to do anything else. The casualties will be the Labour party and the little Englanders like Farage. The flip side is a massive outcry against running roughshod over the wishes of the electorate. A tough decision but EU participation will trump it.

Just watch the Government use every trick in the book, for example lowering the voting age to 16 for the new referendum to ensure they get the result they need.

cool story but that's all it is

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:22 pm

wez1927 wrote:
McNaughtyButNice wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
BlueDredd wrote:I firmly believe we should have remained. I also think it's a kick in the teeth to see so many of the Welsh vote to leave when we as a country have been given so much aid by the EU. They more or less funded the development of Cardiff, and with us voting out do you really think we're going to have a dime from Westminster? Are we f**k.

Also after working in finance for a number of years I can possibly see it effecting mine and a lot of other jobs in my sector. Investment in the UK will be pulled by major organisations, I even fear we'll see more bank runs in this country.

I've never liked the idea of being a part of the EU. But it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't know, and with Boris Johnson at the helm of this whole thing I can't believe it swayed a country to exit. You could argue that we always haven't been in the EU, but we didn't become the 5th biggest economy in the world without them. We needed them to do that. Just as the US have stated, they'd rather forge trade deals with bigger and better countries than the UK. We'll be at the back of the queue.

"let's put the Great back into Britain" - We're not great. Not one bit. The government is falling apart, and the lies have shown through. Well done Britain.

and that in your second and 3rd line of your post sums up the reason why only Cardiff in the whole of Wales voted to remain in .With very little tangible evidence on money spent on the rest of Wales except for a couple of by pass roads and handouts to the already poorly funded and restricted farming communities what else have they done .

JUst FYI - over £300 million invested in Ebbw Vale in the past few years. If you read the whole of this article from The Guardian you may find it quite enlightening, as it shows exactly how and where some part of the Eu money in Wales has been spent
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/25/view-wales-town-showered-eu-cash-votes-leave-ebbw-vale

it's our money British taxpayers not eu money when are people going to realise that

So you asked for tangible evidence of where money had been spent. I provided that, Tax money well spent by the people of Ebbw Vale I would suggest.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:42 am

Tricky one. Boris' speech was very different, and suggested that immigration wasn't a key factor. If Boris is PM i can see us ss
staying in the single market.[/quote]

POLITICAL UNION was the issue, not the SINGLE MARKET.

If we can get SINGLE MARKET, some form of FREE MOVEMENT and IMMIGRATION CONTROL, and be free from POLITICAL UNION,
I think that could just unite the country!!!

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:58 am

signed

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:59 am

City Slicker wrote:There will never be any "BREXIT" There will be another referendum and it will be decisively Remain. People may well bleat over the thwarting of "democracy" but there are too many mega interests against it to allow it to happen.

As soon as a Hilary Clinton administration (thanks be to God) starts to work on Britain and the USA and Germany chivvy up the EU commission there will be a new deal and reconciliation on the table. Business leaders will lobby the Government with all sorts of threats to accept and there will be no wriggle room. By then, and we may be talking at least two years, a more centre right Europhile, Tory Government will urge the electorate to back the new deal. The right wingers will be marginalised.

There will be some sop to the anti immigration quarter in that the EU will agree a temporary restraint on free movement, but there will be an overwhelming united exhortation to accept the EU deal. Too much is at stake to do anything else. The casualties will be the Labour party and the little Englanders like Farage. The flip side is a massive outcry against running roughshod over the wishes of the electorate. A tough decision but EU participation will trump it.

Just watch the Government use every trick in the book, for example lowering the voting age to 16 for the new referendum to ensure they get the result they need.

Yeah right :roll:

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:23 pm

I can see some kind of deal being thrashed out but it will probably involve the UK leaving the EU but staying in the single market whilst controls over migration return to Westminster.

Not sure how the Labour Party will be one of the biggest casualties if Corbyn gets the boot, indeed that would be a blessing.

However, the Tories will be divided for many years over this issue due to perceptions of back stabbing and hopefully will be gone in 2020.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

I can see some kind of deal being thrashed out but it will probably involve the UK leaving the EU but staying in the single market whilst controls over migration return to Westminster.

Not sure how the Labour Party will be one of the biggest casualties if Corbyn gets the boot, indeed that would be a blessing.

However, the Tories will be divided for many years over this issue due to perceptions of back stabbing and hopefully will be gone in 2020.

I think the Labour party as we know it is finished Tony. It saddens me to say because I have been a supporter all my life and I am also a supporter of Jeremy. Most of his views have always chimed with my own and I think he is a most honourable man and a great parliamentarian, however he is no leader. But neither is anyone else within the PLP. Sadly no one shines like a beacon.

However, with all the tumult that is upon us it must be apparent the time is now ripe for radical change. Labour has lost the support of its core base and even its name, if not its ideals, is anachronist. There is very little "labour" about any more. We either have large tranches of people in relatively comfortable, well paid jobs who have elbowed themselves into the middle classes and who pour scorn on the suggestion they actually "labour" for a living. Sadly, something which has been honourable but exploited since the beginning of time is now looked upon as unworthy. And on the other hand we have those misfortunates who have no work, no prospects and no future. Globalisation and the trickle down riches of the elite have contrived to elude them. In between all this we have thousands of mainly decent immigrants driving a wedge into an already divided rump whose despair is so great they lash out at anything near to hand becsuse the real perpetrstors of their misfortune could just as easily be on another planet, given how remote they are.

I think the time for political reform is urgent and the likelihood is that there will soon be a new centre right party formed out of the ashes of the Labour party and the centrist, Europhile tories. They may well come up with a new name...."The Progressive Party". There won't be any New Labour any more and the Lib Dems need to find a Europhile home. I think Europe will become the new battle ground and it won't be given up easily without a long and bloody fight. Expect many changes to British politics over the coming months and years.