Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

sign to stop 2nd referendum

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:20 am

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/134345

if you believe in democracy then sign this petition

Re: sign to stop 2nd referendum

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:27 am

Done :ayatollah: Democratic country my arse ,Bollocks to a second referendum :wave:

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 am

Me and the wife have signed

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:52 am

I think that there should be a second referendum once the discussions have been completed and we know exactly what the exit package actually is, that is democracy.

We are leaving, its happening, just has to be right.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 am

I firmly believe we should have remained. I also think it's a kick in the teeth to see so many of the Welsh vote to leave when we as a country have been given so much aid by the EU. They more or less funded the development of Cardiff, and with us voting out do you really think we're going to have a dime from Westminster? Are we f**k.

Also after working in finance for a number of years I can possibly see it effecting mine and a lot of other jobs in my sector. Investment in the UK will be pulled by major organisations, I even fear we'll see more bank runs in this country.

I've never liked the idea of being a part of the EU. But it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't know, and with Boris Johnson at the helm of this whole thing I can't believe it swayed a country to exit. You could argue that we always haven't been in the EU, but we didn't become the 5th biggest economy in the world without them. We needed them to do that. Just as the US have stated, they'd rather forge trade deals with bigger and better countries than the UK. We'll be at the back of the queue.

"let's put the Great back into Britain" - We're not great. Not one bit. The government is falling apart, and the lies have shown through. Well done Britain.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:37 am

Lie after lie after lie, and the suckers fell for it. Fact.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:54 am

buckleys brewery wrote:Lie after lie after lie, and the suckers fell for it. Fact.

Yes camaron and his cronies lied through back teeth to persuade people to vote stay in !!! :thumbup:

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 am

buckleys brewery wrote:Lie after lie after lie, and the suckers fell for it. Fact.

By You putting FACT on the end of your post doesn't make what you wrote a fact. :)

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:26 am

There will be no second referendum Cameron has already stated this :thumbup:

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:29 am

But the bigger lies were told by the remain brigade. Even the petition to have a second referendum has thousands of invalid signatures. Basically cheats and liars. Just accept that the people with common sense won the day and get on with life.

The petition we should have now is to implement Article 50. Once that happens there is no going back.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:32 am

Cardiffcitymad wrote:There will be no second referendum Cameron has already stated this :thumbup:

I voted remain and am proud to have done so. However, I don't think there should be a second referendum as like it or not the democratic process has been adhered to. I'm not sure whether that decision is really Cameron's to make as by the time Article 50 is invoked [if it is, and even some leading Brexiteers are now questioning it too] then he won't be prime minister. Any negotiated terms are likely to have to be put to the people before parliament [who have to have the final say constitutionally] decides to push the button. So, it is likely that it won't be a second referendum, but a new one based on what we can salvage from the wreckage.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:55 am

There shouldn't be a second referendum asking the same question, but once some form of agreement is reached there should be a vote (either by way of a general election, or a referendum) for the people to decide whether they are happy with it.

There's no way we are going to fully exit the EU, exit the free market and close our borders. Whether brexiters like it or not, there is going to be some form of compromise.

The messy part is that some people who voted out did it because of 'foreigners coming over here taking our jobs', some because they don't want the EU telling us what to do, and other because of the cost of membership. Many were obviously a combination.

I would imagine in the end we will end up in a situation where we exit the EU, but end up with a similar deal to Norway where we are still in the single market (which includes the free movement of goods, services and people). Personally I think that would be a preferable result, but I'm sure many (like Farage) will still be upset. The downside of the Norway/Switzerland model is that they still have to contribute to EU budget, and we'd still have to adhere to some EU regulation without having a say in how it's run.

I really don't know how it's going to pan out, but I can't see what favourable options we've got. Luckily it seems as if as suspected Boris isn't really an 'outer' in the same vein as Farage, as decided to join the leave camp to further his own career. If he gets PM I think we will end up with a form of agreement that sees us remain in the single market.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:03 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Yes camaron and his cronies lied through back teeth to persuade people to vote stay in !!! :thumbup:

What by saying that it would shock the world economy (which it has), damage the UK currency and stock markets (which is most definitely has) and may well result in a recession (quite likely given recent developments).

It's much easier to pick out massive lies from the out camp than the remain camp. Mainly around immigration falling, and £350m to be spent on the NHS!

This is a good summary:

1. We aren't going to see a fall in immigration levels

No one in the Leave campaign actually gave any target figures, at any time, ever. Conservative MEP Dan Hannan has already said this morning that people expecting immigration to come down will be "disappointed".

2. We aren't going to have an extra £100 million a week for the NHS

Nigel Farage has already told reporters today that the Leave campaign shouldn't have claimed that.

3. We aren't going to be able to stay in the single market

No other country has a set up like that: both France and Germany have made it abundantly clear that we are not going to be able to have our cake and eat it, ie, take advantage of the free-trade zone without contributing a single penny to it, as Leave says we will.

4. We aren't going to get our sovereignty back

Looks like we're going to get a new prime minister by the end of the autumn Conservative party conference. It'll be a short list of two people, nominated by MPs.

This unelected leader could then theoretically hold office unopposed until a general election has to be called in three year's time.

P.S. We still have the House of Lords. So there's that.

5. We aren't going to save £350m a week

The Leave claim that the UK gives £350m a week to the EU has been thoroughly debunked. But it was still emblazoned on their battle bus right up until the end:

6. We won't remain a world leader in research and development

UK investment in science and universities has dried up since the recession, whereas the EU gave us £7bn in science funding alone between 2007 - 2013.

We're also going to face new barriers to collaboration with European universities and research centres.

7. We aren't going to save £2bn on energy bills

Leave promised we could end VAT on household energy bills. While that's possible, it won't save us any money in reality because we rely on imports for so much of our energy.

Because the pound has fallen, inflation will go up, which means imports and thus our domestic energy bills will cost up to 12 per cent more than they currently do.

8. We aren't going to be a 'greater' Britain

Overnight the UK economy has already slumped from the fifth largest in the world to sixth.

More than £200 billion has already been wiped from the value of the UK stock market - or put another way, 24 years' worth of UK contributions to the EU.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:13 pm

Signed. Do we live in a democratic society? Yes. So why have so many of those that did not get their wishes oppose the majority of the publics wishes? Next time a particular government is elected should we challenge it? Of course not.

Perhaps times are changing and many have no values anymore. I suspect without a democratic society the country would be in turmoil. Perhaps the remainers will get their wishes in the 10th referendum and then they will stop throwing tantrums.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Owain wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

What by saying that it would shock the world economy (which it has), damage the UK currency and stock markets (which is most definitely has) and may well result in a recession (quite likely given recent developments).

It's much easier to pick out massive lies from the out camp than the remain camp. Mainly around immigration falling, and £350m to be spent on the NHS!

This is a good summary:

1. We aren't going to see a fall in immigration levels

No one in the Leave campaign actually gave any target figures, at any time, ever. Conservative MEP Dan Hannan has already said this morning that people expecting immigration to come down will be "disappointed".

2. We aren't going to have an extra £100 million a week for the NHS

Nigel Farage has already told reporters today that the Leave campaign shouldn't have claimed that.

3. We aren't going to be able to stay in the single market

No other country has a set up like that: both France and Germany have made it abundantly clear that we are not going to be able to have our cake and eat it, ie, take advantage of the free-trade zone without contributing a single penny to it, as Leave says we will.

4. We aren't going to get our sovereignty back

Looks like we're going to get a new prime minister by the end of the autumn Conservative party conference. It'll be a short list of two people, nominated by MPs.

This unelected leader could then theoretically hold office unopposed until a general election has to be called in three year's time.

P.S. We still have the House of Lords. So there's that.

5. We aren't going to save £350m a week

The Leave claim that the UK gives £350m a week to the EU has been thoroughly debunked. But it was still emblazoned on their battle bus right up until the end:

6. We won't remain a world leader in research and development

UK investment in science and universities has dried up since the recession, whereas the EU gave us £7bn in science funding alone between 2007 - 2013.

We're also going to face new barriers to collaboration with European universities and research centres.

7. We aren't going to save £2bn on energy bills

Leave promised we could end VAT on household energy bills. While that's possible, it won't save us any money in reality because we rely on imports for so much of our energy.

Because the pound has fallen, inflation will go up, which means imports and thus our domestic energy bills will cost up to 12 per cent more than they currently do.

8. We aren't going to be a 'greater' Britain

Overnight the UK economy has already slumped from the fifth largest in the world to sixth.

More than £200 billion has already been wiped from the value of the UK stock market - or put another way, 24 years' worth of UK contributions to the EU.

You forgot to mention that Osborne has described spending cuts and tax rises as inevitable.

Now that the vote has been won its is up to the remain group to make sure all the claims that Brexit made are truthful and to expose any lies made.That's democracy too.Come to think of it the Brexit voters should be doing this as well.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:21 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Signed. Do we live in a democratic society? Yes. So why have so many of those that did not get their wishes oppose the majority of the publics wishes? Next time a particular government is elected should we challenge it? Of course not.

Perhaps times are changing and many have no values anymore. I suspect without a democratic society the country would be in turmoil. Perhaps the remainers will get their wishes in the 10th referendum and then they will stop throwing tantrums.

What were your wished out of interest? Fully out of the EU, not part of the single market, no movement of people? Agreement like Norway/Switzerland, immigration points like Australia? Trade deal like Canada?

People voted for something that isn't what we've got, but what they've voted for nobody knows (not even Boris/Farage and co).

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:59 pm

so far 720 have sign the petition , while the other petition is over 4 million

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:13 pm

wayne wrote:so far 720 have sign the petition , while the other petition is over 4 million

this petition is less than 24hours old the other one is 4 months old and has millions of people from overseas signing it the two can't be compared yet

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:25 pm

wez1927 wrote:
wayne wrote:so far 720 have sign the petition , while the other petition is over 4 million

this petition is less than 24hours old the other one is 4 months old and has millions of people from overseas signing it the two can't be compared yet

Out of interest Wez, what are your hopes for the UK now? See my response a couple of posts up to Bridgend blue. It would be interesting to know what ardent out voters are expecting/hoping for next.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:34 pm

I voted out and won't be signing any petitions. The referendum has come and gone. We live in a democracy, and the majority voted to leave. These petitions are gimmicks, and a waste of time. Are we going to have them from now on for every election if the party we don't vote for wins. Perhaps we can keep holding one after the other if we vote for the monster raving loony party and they don't get in to govern the country. The people who lost are saying they lost because of lies being told by the opposition. It is up to the electorate to decide if they believe what they are being told, it is up to the electorate to read up and do their own research and then make a decision. I was well aware I was not being told the truth by either side. I have voted in numerous general elections, and I have'nt been stupid enough not to realise that every party makes impossible promises. When people tell me I voted out because of campaigners telling lies, they are talking nonsense. I made my decision based on my own research and feelings. If people are gullible enough to hang on every word of a politician, that is entirely up to them. They should not assume everyone voted "out" based entirely on what these politicians told us.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:39 pm

wez1927 wrote:https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/134345

:thumbup: :ayatollah:

Absolutely disgraceful that some people spout democracy so long as it goes in their favour and then bleat like goats as soon as it doesn't! :roll: :oops:

I really don't believe the 'Brexit' people would have reacted the same had it gone the other way! ;)

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Sven wrote:

Absolutely disgraceful that some people spout democracy so long as it goes in their favour and then bleat like goats as soon as it doesn't! :roll: :oops:

I really don't believe the 'Brexit' people would have reacted the same had it gone the other way! ;)

Farage said that if it was a close remain win it would not be the end, and he would carry on his campaign. Additionally, the main petition was srarted by an out voter that thought he would lose. ;)

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Sven wrote:

Well if successful we'll find out. :lol: But I don't think it will be.The one thing they can do to stop the second referendum in its tracks is to ensure all the promises they made come true and the countery suffer as result of coming out.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Owain wrote:There shouldn't be a second referendum asking the same question, but once some form of agreement is reached there should be a vote (either by way of a general election, or a referendum) for the people to decide whether they are happy with it.

There's no way we are going to fully exit the EU, exit the free market and close our borders. Whether brexiters like it or not, there is going to be some form of compromise.

The messy part is that some people who voted out did it because of 'foreigners coming over here taking our jobs', some because they don't want the EU telling us what to do, and other because of the cost of membership. Many were obviously a combination.

I would imagine in the end we will end up in a situation where we exit the EU, but end up with a similar deal to Norway where we are still in the single market (which includes the free movement of goods, services and people). Personally I think that would be a preferable result, but I'm sure many (like Farage) will still be upset. The downside of the Norway/Switzerland model is that they still have to contribute to EU budget, and we'd still have to adhere to some EU regulation without having a say in how it's run.

I really don't know how it's going to pan out, but I can't see what favourable options we've got. Luckily it seems as if as suspected Boris isn't really an 'outer' in the same vein as Farage, as decided to join the leave camp to further his own career. If he gets PM I think we will end up with a form of agreement that sees us remain in the single market.

I agree I don't think there will be a full exit, however, we will get a different deal to either Norway or Switzerland.

The EU have reasonably stated that we cannot expect the full benefit's of the single market without paying towards it's cost. On the other hand the UK is a massive market for EU exports and we could contribute far more than either of those 2 countries.

Any deal which involves free movement of labour will be killed off at birth, because Cameron has already reported to the EU that the main reason for the leave vote was uncontrolled migration. I think we will end up paying a sizable membership fee (anything up to £9billion) but in return we will have full control on migration.

I would be unhappy because we would be still contributing to the Brussels gravy train but that apart I could live with the above arrangement.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Owain wrote:
Sven wrote:

Farage said that if it was a close remain win it would not be the end, and he would carry on his campaign. Additionally, the main petition was srarted by an out voter that thought he would lose. ;)

Yes but the EU has previous on this. When Ireland and Denmark voted against the Lisbon Treaty more referendums were called until the EU got the result it wanted.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Did it, but there won't be one! not anytime soon, FFS the remain camp can moan all they want, fact is over all, you lost...

can England sign a petition to play Iceland again because they are not happy with the result :roll:

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Pointless as there won't be a second referendum. Can't believe people were stupid enough to think this.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Owain wrote:There shouldn't be a second referendum asking the same question, but once some form of agreement is reached there should be a vote (either by way of a general election, or a referendum) for the people to decide whether they are happy with it.

I agree I don't think there will be a full exit, however, we will get a different deal to either Norway or Switzerland.

The EU have reasonably stated that we cannot expect the full benefit's of the single market without paying towards it's cost. On the other hand the UK is a massive market for EU exports and we could contribute far more than either of those 2 countries.

Any deal which involves free movement of labour will be killed off at birth, because Cameron has already reported to the EU that the main reason for the leave vote was uncontrolled migration. I think we will end up paying a sizable membership fee (anything up to £9billion) but in return we will have full control on migration.

I would be unhappy because we would be still contributing to the Brussels gravy train but that apart I could live with the above arrangement.

Tricky one. Boris' speech was very different, and suggested that immigration wasn't a key factor. If Boris is PM i can see us ss
staying in the single market.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Owain wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Tricky one. Boris' speech was very different, and suggested that immigration wasn't a key factor. If Boris is PM i can see us ss
staying in the single market.

Boris will do what's best for Boris. Cameron has already reported to the EU that the main reason for the leave vote was uncontrolled migration.

If Boris really wants to circumvent that outcome then on his head be it and he will certainly not win the Conservative leadership if he persists with that line. Due to the carrot of £9billion the UK can offer I'm more than sure that a deal giving full access to the single market whilst we control migration can be agreed.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:27 pm

A very balanced and accurate summary in my view. I voted to remain but do not believe there should be a second referendum as I accept the decision of the majority. However it will be interesting to see who (if anyone) has the balls to actually kick start section 50. All the potential Tory party candidates with one notable exception, are backtracking on this.