Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" England Fans, Great Character Realism " By Vince Alm

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 am

" England Fans, Great Character Realism "

By Vince Alm Head of Cardiff City Supporters Club

Just wish to pass my comiserations onto my English friends being knockout last night against a decent Iceland team. Unlike your press you have shown great character realism, and dignity when we have spoken about the euros. Many of you were concerned about Iceland due to the way England had been playing and Hodgson team selection contrary to what was being written and spoken by the media.

In Wales we suffer a similar fate with our national rugby team regarding media attention so I empathise with you all regarding that situation.

England undoubtedly have talented players but are the FA brave enough to appoint a young English manager with a philosophy that can bring the best out of them?

I've enjoyed my time in France with you and thank you for your company
Au Revoir for now catch up when we get back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " England Fans, Great Character Realism " By Vince Alm

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:11 am

Iceland are a decent team they finished above holland and Turkey in qualification, above Portugal and Austria in the group and made the playoffs for the previous world cup.

Amazing for a country of 350,000, and embarrassing the lack of respect shown by the English media in build up and aftermath of the game.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:27 am

I think a bit of complacency set in. Heard statements like they were playing against the weakest team in the tournament, could win by four or five, stroll in the park etc. Don't think they will be as complacent in the quarter final against France, particularly as in the end they scraped through by just the one goal.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:47 am

Do you mean that France will not be complacement? As England are out and so tbey did not scrape through with one goal :laughing6:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 am

Igovernor wrote:Do you mean that France will not be complacement? As England are out and so tbey did not scrape through with one goal :laughing6:

I was talking about Iceland, not England.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 am

I feel for the likes of the English fans we were with for best part of 3 days in Lille, vast majority decent lads and we had a good craic.
But the media, players, FA, and every jumped up arrogant prick who surround themselves with that shower of shit can shove it up their arses. They can keep it.
Back out to Lille Thursday then. Wales in a Quarter Final like, absolute madness cannot wait to get over there.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:43 am

the difference is that our Rugby team deliver :thumbup: :thumbup: groundhog day, England, every tournament they are hyped by the media.........average team with a below average team spirit = exit and I for one is PMSL :laughing6:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:43 am

BEEP AHM wrote:the difference is that our Rugby team deliver :thumbup: :thumbup: groundhog day, England, every tournament they are hyped by the media.........average team with a below average team spirit = exit and I for one is PMSL :laughing6:

Our rugger team deliver 63 years and counting :lol:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:56 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Do you mean that France will not be complacement? As England are out and so tbey did not scrape through with one goal :laughing6:

How were Iceland complacent?

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:09 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

How were Iceland complacent?

Was supposed to be a joke. Obviously did'nt come across the way I meant it to.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I think a bit of complacency set in. Heard statements like they were playing against the weakest team in the tournament, could win by four or five, stroll in the park etc. Don't think they will be as complacent in the quarter final against France, particularly as in the end they scraped through by just the one goal.

Found this funny :lol: :lol:

Shame other posters didn't get it :oops: :oops: :oops:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Are the England fans who goaded and provoked others with obnoxious comments using racist language also included in his commiserations. No sympathy....they are generally arrogant and well done to Iceland. The media has been like the EBC (English Broadcasting corporation) at times.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:26 pm

bluemun wrote:Are the England fans who goaded and provoked others with obnoxious comments using racist language also included in his commiserations. No sympathy....they are generally arrogant and well done to Iceland. The media has been like the EBC (English Broadcasting corporation) at times.

The English fans are generally no different to other countries. There's good and bad. There's decent guys and there's pricks.

Agree with regards to the media though. It's all about how bad England were and hardly a mention of the brilliant effort of Iceland.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:36 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
bluemun wrote:Are the England fans who goaded and provoked others with obnoxious comments using racist language also included in his commiserations. No sympathy....they are generally arrogant and well done to Iceland. The media has been like the EBC (English Broadcasting corporation) at times.

The English fans are generally no different to other countries. There's good and bad. There's decent guys and there's pricks.

Agree with regards to the media though. It's all about how bad England were and hardly a mention of the brilliant effort of Iceland.

The newspapers have always made out England to be world beaters for as long as I could read. They were right in 1966, and to be fair for the following few years they were up there with the very best. The decline started around 1970, and they have been good to average ever since. The press have never cottoned on to the fact that they stopped being the best in the world in 1970, and I think they have tipped them to win just about every tournament since. The Sun, Mirror etc. will quickly forget about this, and no doubt they will install them as probable world cup winners in two years time. The rest of the world, Wales included, will just carry on laughing.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:52 pm

English Managers....Philosophy.....me thinks you've had an attack of the vapors Mr Alm.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:55 pm

England the only ones that can come out of the euros twice in one week :roll: :wave:

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:47 am

As a 62 year old Welshman (I was 4 year old the last time we qualified for the finals of a major competition in 1958) I have had to listen year upon year (since 1966) to the over powering pre-tournament arrogance of the English football pundits and press telling us how great the English team is, dismissing as 'inferior' every other team they come up against and how they are going to win the tournament. It has been with great delight that I have been lucky enough to see them all fall flat on their arrogant faces time after time since '66!!

Lineker and his pundit buddies were even warned by Tierry Henry on MoD prior to the Iceland game when they were up to their usual dismissive tricks of asking him how would France play against England in the last 8 - before they had even kicked a ball against Iceland! - and TH replied that they should be careful when writing off Iceland as they had to beat them before worrying about France - they laughed at him but was ever a truer word said in jest - good for you TH!!

The fact that England haven't won a game at the knock out stage of a competition for donkey's years has nothing to do with who is their manager or with the amount of talent available to them - even a donkey should be able to win a knock out game in charge of England. Neither within reason does it matter who the manager picks or what system they use. The problem England will always face is that the opposition - which is generally of a higher standard in the knock out stages of a tournament as compared to the qualifying rounds - have heard all the arrogant and rudely dismissive comments from the English pre match and simply up their game 200% to make sure they ram the arrogant comments back up English arses!

It won't be until England loses their air and reputation of arrogance around the football world that the opposition will no longer raise their game 200% and England will win a knockout game and unfortunately for the English that won't happen soon!

Last but not least - and more evidence of English arrogance - has anyone else noticed how the television and newspapers have devoted 90% of their coverage to the 'knocked out/back home/no chance of winning Euro 2016 England team and about 5% of their coverage to the 'last 8/all conquering/extremely talented/organised/exciting/still there/every chance of winning Euro 2016' Wales team - will the English press never learn!!!!?
:bluescarf: :tandragon: :bluescarf:

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:05 pm

since64 wrote:
BEEP AHM wrote:the difference is that our Rugby team deliver :thumbup: :thumbup: groundhog day, England, every tournament they are hyped by the media.........average team with a below average team spirit = exit and I for one is PMSL :laughing6:

Our rugger team deliver 63 years and counting :lol:

European Champions more times than you have had hot dinners :thumbup:

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:13 pm

English arrogance does play some role but it can't be blamed for every failure since 1966. I thought England would have won Euro 2004 if Rooney hadn't got injured so downright bad luck has also played a role.

My personal opinion is England's failures are mainly due to a succession of managers picking players who are not inform. How the hell was Sterling and Kane still starting after their previous efforts at Euro 2016?

IMO if Rashford came on at half-time they would have beaten Iceland, instead Wroy went for a half fit Jack Wiltshire? Why did the FA pay Wroy £14m to make decisions like that when they could have got Russell Slade to do the same for £120k ;)

Until players are picked by form and not reputation England will continue to struggle and long may they do so :thumbup: