Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" ARON GUNNARSSON "

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:00 pm

Seeing our very own Iceman perform as well as he has in the Euros, where was he last season?! :?

He was used more as a squad rotation player for Cardiff City. He has been so consistent for Iceland at the Euros 2016.

Last Nights performance against England, he was immense! :shock:

Gunnar has proved to be a proper leader and warrior on the pitch. His long throws are a real danger and we could base our team around that sort of element as Iceland have proved, it can be very effective! :thumbright:

In my opinion, not only should he be a 1st team player, but our captain! :ayatollah:

Congratulations to Aron Gunnarsson and the Iceland national team on reaching the quarter-finals of Euro 2016. :thumbup:

Your thoughts on Gunnarsson in the Euros? :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ARON GUNNARSSON

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:23 pm

I think this sums his performances up perfectly. I couldnt have said it better myself, I really couldnt! :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYN5ARuA4I

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:11 am

lyndipops wrote:I think this sums his performances up perfectly. I couldnt have said it better myself, I really couldnt! :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYN5ARuA4I

Haha crazy commentator!

Glad you agree. His throw-ins could be a main focal point to our goals! It's an element we must put to good use! :thumbright:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:54 am

We need that long throw back!!

Re: " ARON GUNNARSSON "

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:59 am

Gunnarsson has always been one of my favourite players and is leader on and off the pitch, exactly what Cardiff City are missing.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:10 am

Does a job on Ronaldo + Rooney yet Russ did not trust him to do a job in Championship ....tells u all u need 2 know about Russell Slade!

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:02 am

I definitely agree that he could do a job as our captain. Great player, very robust and hard to find a real centre midfielder like him these days. I think he could definitely become for us what the likes of someone like Grant Leadbitter has been for Middlesbrough. He just needs the game time and the confidence to do it.

Great man. Well done Gunnar! :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:05 am

Make him captain and the fans should adopt the Iceland chant. That would get him fired up! :bluescarf:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:58 am

From what I remember there used to groans and moans when Gunna went to take a long throw. The complaints ranged from outdated tactic to it's too easy to defend.

TBH I can't remember too many goals coming from AG's long throws but Iceland have certainly showed how you can get the best out of them.

Last season AG suffered because of the form of Joe Ralls and Stuart O'Keefe. I can remember the uproar when AG was picked ahead of O'Keefe against Fulham when we went on to lose 2-1 after leading 1-0 at half-time.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:00 am

Our main man in midfield. 100% should be captain. :thumbup:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:15 am

I've been saying it for months, our centre midfield should be O'Keefe and Gunnarsson. We won't be out run or out battled with those 2 in the centre. Winning the midfield battle will allow us to control the game.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Gunnarsson has always been one of my favourite players and is leader on and off the pitch, exactly what Cardiff City are missing.

Gunnarsson used sporadically and without his (now world famous) long-throw was a solely Slade decision! ;)

Not knocking the guy now he's gone (I maintain he did a decent job under tough circumstances) but there were a lot of decisions (non-use of youngsters included) that baffled many attending fans! :roll:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Congrats to Gunnar and Iceland, fantastic achievement.

Not surprising that that once again members of this board have completely flip flopped on one of our players that has received a lot of abuse in the past couple of seasons. But hey, anything to get another cheap shot in at Russel Slade, no matter how much you're clutching at straws.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:24 pm

Congratulations with Gunnarsson and Iceland! For me, their team spirit meant that they simply wanted it more than England - what an achievement. I've always rated Gunnarsson and this will certainly raise his stock. Good to see those long throws back too, I'd like to see that back at City pronto.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Does a job on Ronaldo + Rooney yet Russ did not trust him to do a job in Championship ....tells u all u need 2 know about Russell Slade!

Yes, makes you wonder what RS was trying to achieve with his selections and tactics last season? :?

Blooobirds Forever !!! :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:34 pm

BournvilleBlue wrote:Make him captain and the fans should adopt the Iceland chant. That would get him fired up! :bluescarf:

Yes, sounded awesome last night from the Iceland fan's but would it work down the CCS considering the level of mis-jointed chanting last season? But if we could, it would sound Fantastic rumbling around CCS and Certainly Fire Up Gunner. :notworthy:

Blooobirds Forever !!! :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Arson has put himself in the window and exit Cardiff and who would blame him for going.....2 key players in the premier was Declan and Aaron.....I never understood why they couldn't get a game....... :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Hull, Burnley, Middlesbrough and Sunderland will be looking to buy Gunnarsson soon.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:01 pm

CardiffBatman888 wrote:Hull, Burnley, Middlesbrough and Sunderland will be looking to buy Gunnarsson soon.

Trollope should take time out over the next few days in France to go see Gunner and offer him the Captaincy, a major midfield role as well as some sort of contract extension at CCS before he get's back or moves on to new pastures - I'm sure he would rather stay in Cardiff as I think he likes living in the Capital.

Just get it done !!!

Blooobirds Forever !!! :old:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:13 pm

I'd make him captain. He is well respected and has great experience at CCFC. :thumbup:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:56 pm

G3vans wrote:Congrats to Gunnar and Iceland, fantastic achievement.

Not surprising that that once again members of this board have completely flip flopped on one of our players that has received a lot of abuse in the past couple of seasons. But hey, anything to get another cheap shot in at Russel Slade, no matter how much you're clutching at straws.

You're absolutely spot on G. I could never understand why our main man should have been getting so much unwarranted abuse. Hopefully that will all go away now Sladey has gone :thumbup:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:25 pm

It just goes to prove what a clown Russ really was/is.

Fabio and Gunner would walk into every Championship side.

I am really hoping Trollope, with the very very welcome advice from Lennie, will recognise the talent availed to him within the current playing squad including some of the development players such as Kadeem Harris and Healy.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:08 pm

For me this doesn't show in no way that Russell Slade is an idiot at all..

Aron Gunnarsson is doing a fantastic job with Iceland leading his team and performing but for the reason it's his country and they are the underdogs... Iceland are pinching goals from all sorts.. Penalties, long throws etc then sitting back and they are always been put on the back foot and Gunnarsson is playing as a CDM and basically like a defender in a sense.. he doesn't play in the same formation as he does for us and he doesn't perform the same way because it's his country and he has to lead by example. There is no doubt he has been class for Iceland but let's not forget he doesn't do this for us and he does under perform and hit the same form because we have a lot more possession when we play compared to them and we don't play CDMs really.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:01 am

Ark at this lot kissing Gunners arse after s few good games for Iceland.

Wasn't too long ago people saying Gunner was not good enough and O'Keefe superb.

Now people want him in ASAP and not only that, as captain an all. :lol:

Do people remember us getting overrun in the midfield area week after week with him and Whitts there?

Let's be honest here, he's giving that extra 10-20% because it's his country and fair play to the lad, it's a bit like a few of our lads playing for Wales. To go on about making him captain and a certain starter for Cardiff is just ridiculous because over the last two seasons he's been average at best.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Gunnarson is poor in a 4-4-2

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:21 pm

KBK-13 wrote:Gunnarson is poor in a 4-4-2

He wasn't against England alongside a fellow centre midfielder who could also cover the ground. Gunnarsson struggles in a 4-4-2 with us because more often than not, he's paired with Whittingham.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

He wasn't against England alongside a fellow centre midfielder who could also cover the ground. Gunnarsson struggles in a 4-4-2 with us because more often than not, he's paired with Whittingham.

Gunnarsson wasn't not playing in a 4-4-2 v England, it was suggested it was a 4-4-2 but by the over all look of the game it was a 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 with Gunnarsson holding.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Great in a fight but too slow and immobile, can't pass or trap if we want to play a possession based game. Agree about the Whitts partnership as he is only marginally more mobile and quick as Whitts but nowhere near the technical level.

Not sure what his best position or system is, but i think its time to move on and we may get a decent fee for him.

Be honest with yourselves its between Gunnar, Ralls ,O'Keefe, Whitts or Sullivan (if we believe O'Sullivan is Whitts replacement as a playmaker), how would you rnk them
1- Ralls
2- O'Keefe
3- Whitts
4-Gunnar
5-O'Sullivan

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I don't think either player is any good in a 4-4-2

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:23 am

KBK-13 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

I don't think either player is any good in a 4-4-2

Quite right.