Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " Hilary Benn sacked/more to follow today "

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:33 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
bluebird-77 wrote:
scooby1973 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:The Labour Party need David Milliband, plain and simple.

I agree, but can't see him coming back

I agree with both statements.

What a different place the uk would be today if he was elected leader of the lab party. He could quite possibly be prime monster now. Probably no eu referendum even if the there was probably remain win.

But that's all ifs and buts. We are where we are. We need to move forward, no need for either side to continue throwing mud at each other. Accept the result that the people that voted wanted. It may well be the country didn't get what it wanted but that's the 28% of the population who chose not to vote for whatever reason and that's just part of life.

I personally believe that In 5 years time we still be I. The eu. Borris to be next pm dep down him and gove never wanted to leave and they'll negotiate terms that are acceptable to both sides. There may be another referendum about the new deal which I think will have baa king of most leave campaigners. And country will remote to remain by a land slide.

No science behind but just my feel of things. :-)

I am with you, i think we'll have a formal link, but not member of the European Parliament.

The Germans will come up with a compromise that will go to another quick referendum that all the parties except UKIP will agree with and it will be a coronation rather than a referendum.

The EU needed reforming and this may be the kick up the arse that is needed.

If we had a second referendum remain would win 60/40, but that would be undemocratic and make us look so weak we may as well join the Euro.

I think you can put your money on there being another referendum at some time. Though I would want to place my bet quickly before the pound falls through its arse. Behind the scene Europhile neo-liberals of all party allegiances will drive the negotiations with the EU and I'm sure there will be a call for the public to accept a brand new engagement with a 'reformed' EU, once personal political demands have been sorted.

Once the USA start leaning on the Brits and the Germans lean on the EU top brass because Brexit is in neither of their interests, pressure will build for a reconciliation. I think a referendum will likely then follow with all quarters ganging up against Nigel, John Redwood, IDS and the rest of their cronies.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:43 pm

Sven wrote:
carlccfc wrote:The Labour Party need David Milliband, plain and simple.

Carl, they missed a golden opportunity when they voted for his brother and created the double whammy of gaining an educated idiot in one hand whilst losing a world class politician in the other!

I am not as against Corbyn as I once (his speech yesterday was pretty calm overall) was but I wonder if there is a route back for David Miliband and importantly would he take it? :?

Totally agree. Every time Ed Milliband shows his mug on the TV I hurl constant abuse at him. If ONE person is really to blame for the mess Labour find themselves in its that frigging idiot.

David Milliband would have been an excellent leader.

In last years leadership contest as a Labour member I voted for Yvette Cooper as I saw her as Labour's version of Nicola Sturgeon. However, most disagreed with me and went for Corbyn who is proving to be disaster.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:40 pm

As a member of the Labour Party for as long as I've had any interest in politics, I want Jeremy Corbyn to stay as leader. I appreciate I'm probably in the minority.

I didn't vote for him in last year's leadership election, I voted for Andy Burnham - pleased that Burnham has supported Corbyn.

But I don't think this is the time for a leadership contest. The Tories are in a mess and the country has no leadership. It will be doing nobody any favours to have a leadership election at this point. Jeremy Corbyn hasn't even been leader for a year yet.

David Miliband's name will often be mentioned, but I would be shocked if he came back.

There are still a lot of Labour members who want Jeremy Corbyn, even if most of the MPs don't.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Hilary Benn has been sacked Dave Jones has applied :bluescarf:

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Lord Falconer has now resigned taking the list of resignations today to:

Hilary Benn (sacked) - shadow foreign secretary
Heidi Alexander - shadow health secretary
Lucy Powell - shadow education secretary
Vernon Coaker - shadow Northern Ireland secretary
Ian Murray - shadow Scotland secretary (Labour's only MP in Scotland)
Kerry McCarthy - shadow environment secretary
Seema Malhotra - shadow chief secretary to the Treasury
Lillian Greenwood - shadow transport secretary
Gloria de Piero - shadow minister for young people and voter registration
Lord Falconer - shadow justice secretary

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:50 pm

Another one has resigned.

Karl Turner, the shadow attorney general, has announced his resignation from the shadow cabinet.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:51 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Another one has resigned.

Karl Turner, the shadow attorney general, has announced his resignation from the shadow cabinet.

meltdown

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:00 pm

I voted out now labour are in crisis I killed two birds with one stone, perhaps they will learn to count in future! :x

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Jeremy Corbyn says anyone who wants to be leader of the Labour Party will have to take part in a leadership election, in which he will also stand in.

Good on him :thumbright:

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:38 pm

Getting out of hand - major meetings next week for this country .

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:47 am

Labour Party in turmoil :lol: more like termites looking to build a new den!

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:44 am

stickywicket wrote:Hilary Benn has been sacked Dave Jones has applied :bluescarf:

Brilliant - made me laugh out loud chief :lol:

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:As a member of the Labour Party for as long as I've had any interest in politics, I want Jeremy Corbyn to stay as leader. I appreciate I'm probably in the minority.

I didn't vote for him in last year's leadership election, I voted for Andy Burnham - pleased that Burnham has supported Corbyn.

But I don't think this is the time for a leadership contest. The Tories are in a mess and the country has no leadership. It will be doing nobody any favours to have a leadership election at this point. Jeremy Corbyn hasn't even been leader for a year yet.

David Miliband's name will often be mentioned, but I would be shocked if he came back.

There are still a lot of Labour members who want Jeremy Corbyn, even if most of the MPs don't.

Obviously we both want the same thing (a Labour Government) but that will never happen whilst Jeremy Corbyn is in charge as he is unelectable beyond the limits of the Labour Party membership.

The press and Tories will slaughter him at the next election over several issues including his insistence he wouldn't press the Nuclear button and immigration which he still thinks is the solution to our problems and not the cause.

He is out of touch with the middle ground and that is where election are won or lost. We need a credible leader with credible policies if we are going to have any chance at all of winning next time.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:35 am

JimmyJazz wrote:
stickywicket wrote:Hilary Benn has been sacked Dave Jones has applied :bluescarf:

Brilliant - made me laugh out loud chief :lol:

In fairness it was very funny :lol:

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Was up to 17 earlier today....any more ???