Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Hilary Benn sacked/more to follow today "

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:06 am

Hilary Benn has been sacked from the shadow cabinet, and is set to appear on Andrew Marr this morning.

According to the BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssburg, half the shadow cabinet will resign today.

Pressure mounting on Jeremy Corbyn as he attempts to keep his job as Leader of the Labour Party.

Labour Party in crisis.

Re: " Hilary Benn sacked/more to follow today "

Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:40 am

The only good thing to come out of the referendum for me is a great purging of the political class.Its like watching a bowl of piranhas eating themselves alive.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:12 am

Jeremy Corbyn is so typical of the political classes. The country has spoken and the majority have stated that immigration has gone too far and something now has to be done to put the breaks on.

His answer? We are wrong migration is brilliant we should live with it whilst he lives in a nice house miles away from the impact of mass immigration. :roll:

Indeed I watched him yesterday deliver a speech stating the answer was to spend MORE on accommodating migrants! Talk about out of touch.

Those who live in areas of mass migration have had enough of the negative impacts that it brings to schools, healthcare, housing and employment. It is time to stop taking the white working class for granted and start representing those who actually formed the party over 100 years ago.

If you can't do that Jeremy then it is time to go.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:43 am

Out of interest Tony, do you believe that the immigration will now stop and the health care and housing will see a significant boost as a result of the leave vote?

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:49 am

The Labour Party need David Milliband, plain and simple.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:37 am

the blue beast wrote:Out of interest Tony, do you believe that the immigration will now stop and the health care and housing will see a significant boost as a result of the leave vote?

It should do if we have a strong government who will sort it out

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:44 am

Both parties in complete meltdown at the same time..unprecedented !!!!!

:digging2:

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:54 am

Jimmy Scoular wrote:Both parties in complete meltdown at the same time..unprecedented !!!!!

:digging2:

Anarchy in the UK - no sign of Boris and his cronies anywhere. No leadership, just silence.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:28 am

Another 4 gone - given up their posts .... More to go ... What a mess!!!

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:46 am

wez1927 wrote:
the blue beast wrote:Out of interest Tony, do you believe that the immigration will now stop and the health care and housing will see a significant boost as a result of the leave vote?

It should do if we have a strong government who will sort it out

Wez - we have no government at all. A lame duck prime minister, in fighting over who should be the next tory leader, an opposition in disarray and no sign of the Brexit leadership. This is just the start I'm afraid - you and others may well have voted to leave for valid reasons and I am sure you hadn't banked on the anarchy that has now been unleashed.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:46 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Another 4 gone - given up their posts .... More to go ... What a mess!!!

Its just the start of the mess mate...

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:52 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Jeremy Corbyn is so typical of the political classes. The country has spoken and the majority have stated that immigration has gone too far and something now has to be done to put the breaks on.

His answer? We are wrong migration is brilliant we should live with it whilst he lives in a nice house miles away from the impact of mass immigration. :roll:

Indeed I watched him yesterday deliver a speech stating the answer was to spend MORE on accommodating migrants! Talk about out of touch.

Those who live in areas of mass migration have had enough of the negative impacts that it brings to schools, healthcare, housing and employment. It is time to stop taking the white working class for granted and start representing those who actually formed the party over 100 years ago.

Agree with all of that Tony, and I am a right wing leaning Conservative but we need a strong Labour party to keep people in my party to account. We have the top political system in the world here in UK although there are Millions who wish to somehow undermine our Democracy, for all it's idiosyncrasies.

Concerning the Referendum,the thing I just do not understand is that if the Remain side had won it with the same 52% - 48% split, I for one, and I am sure most others would be gracious enough and MAN or WOMAN enough to admit defeat and then UNITE to make our country better for it, But now you are getting all the moaners, whingers, doom mongers, etc, etc who seem to conveniently forget that a referendum is a two way vote with the winner being the majority - even if that is by just one vote.

The media are fueling this and I have no doubt that there are people behind the scenes here and in Europe who are secretly plotting to undermine this democratic result - look what happened in Portugal and Ireland - their population said NO and they said "we don't accept that" and changed the wording and called another referendum and won - UNDEMOCRATIC LUNACY.

I would have sided with most and thought that a period of calm reflection is needed for a while before we invoke article 50 of the EU constitution (2 years to leave) but with what I said above being an option by the establishment, I think we should get out now ASAP and be sure of no Con tricks.

I just hope the bad losers - including Scarlet pimpernel Mr Osborne when he comes out of hiding, are all gracious enough to make this work and make Great Britain the place that it should be.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:55 am

Up to half of the shadow cabinet is set to resign in a bid to oust Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, it is understood.
Shadow foreign secretary Hilary Benn was sacked overnight. Shadow health secretary Heidi Alexander then quit.
Shadow Scotland secretary Ian Murray and shadow minister Gloria de Piero have since said they would resign.
Mr Corbyn faces a no confidence vote over claims of a "lacklustre" referendum - but John McDonnell said "he wasn't going anywhere".
Union members on Labour's National Executive are to call for unity and will support Mr Corbyn's leadership, sources have told the Press Association.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:57 am

Its nothing to do with being bad losers - can't you see what is happening in front of your very eyes already? We have no effective government, we have no effective opposition and we have no leadership from the so called winners of the referendum. Our currency is falling, we have already spent 40 years worth of EU contributions to stabilise the markets and in losses and there is already people on the streets calling for repatriation of immigrants.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:04 pm

powysblue wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Jeremy Corbyn is so typical of the political classes. The country has spoken and the majority have stated that immigration has gone too far and something now has to be done to put the breaks on.

Agree with all of that Tony, and I am a right wing leaning Conservative but we need a strong Labour party to keep people in my party to account. We have the top political system in the world here in UK although there are Millions who wish to somehow undermine our Democracy, for all it's idiosyncrasies.

Concerning the Referendum,the thing I just do not understand is that if the Remain side had won it with the same 52% - 48% split, I for one, and I am sure most others would be gracious enough and MAN or WOMAN enough to admit defeat and then UNITE to make our country better for it, But now you are getting all the moaners, whingers, doom mongers, etc, etc who seem to conveniently forget that a referendum is a two way vote with the winner being the majority - even if that is by just one vote.

The media are fueling this and I have no doubt that there are people behind the scenes here and in Europe who are secretly plotting to undermine this democratic result - look what happened in Portugal and Ireland - their population said NO and they said "we don't accept that" and changed the wording and called another referendum and won - UNDEMOCRATIC LUNACY.

I would have sided with most and thought that a period of calm reflection is needed for a while before we invoke article 50 of the EU constitution (2 years to leave) but with what I said above being an option by the establishment, I think we should get out now ASAP and be sure of no Con tricks.

I just hope the bad losers - including Scarlet pimpernel Mr Osborne when he comes out of hiding, are all gracious enough to make this work and make Great Britain the place that it should be.

I voted remain and accept the result as it stands but you must admit the Brexit group made promises and inferred other things that they now will held accountable for.That is also democracy and you only have to ask the Lib/Dems what its like to make promises before a vote and not keep to your word after.In one word -Oblivion.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:Its nothing to do with being bad losers - can't you see what is happening in front of your very eyes already? We have no effective government, we have no effective opposition and we have no leadership from the so called winners of the referendum. Our currency is falling, we have already spent 40 years worth of EU contributions to stabilise the markets and in losses and there is already people on the streets calling for repatriation of immigrants.

The index of the top 100 companies in the country fell by as much as seven per cent soon after the stock exchange opened yesterday.

"The uncertainty surrounding the Brexit news at one point wiped more than £140bllion off the FTSE 100 - but as the day progressed markets rallied.By closed of play the FTSE 100 closed down on the day 2.7 per cent - however, that was still an IMPROVEMENT on how the week began.

The FTSE-100 opened on Monday June 20 at 6,021.09 - and closed on Friday at a better level of 6,162.97.

As traders looked for bargains amid the chaos the markets improved.By mid-afternoon, the index had staged a partial recovery to sit at around 6,186 - down around two per cent from yesterday's close of 6,338.

At one point at the opening, the FTSE 100 had lost more than 500 points to reach lows of 5,788."However, smaller investors have been now urged not to panic as markets should calm down as the result is digested.

Michelle McGrade, chief investment officer, TD Direct Investing said yesterday: "The biggest impact of today’s decision will be on sterling and markets will be sent into shock.

"This will trigger more volatility because markets don’t like uncertainty.

"I urge investors not to panic by the initial shock and focus on the longer term because it’s never been right to sell at bottom of markets.

"The world isn’t ending, it's changing with new challenges and opportunities – let’s today not forget the opportunities.

"Markets are forward looking, the dust will settle and investor confidence will return."

Banks this morning came out to say they respected the decision of the British public and have plans in place for leaving the European Union.

Rental market will 'carry on as normal after Brexit
French firms threaten to pull jobs and investment if UK votes Leave
Goldman Sachs boss Lloyd Blankfein said in a statement, he said: "We respect the decision of the British electorate and have been focused on planning for either referendum outcome for many months.

"Goldman Sachs has a long history of adapting to change, and we will work with relevant authorities as the terms of the exit become clear. Our primary focus, as always, remains serving our clients' needs."

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:07 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:Its nothing to do with being bad losers - can't you see what is happening in front of your very eyes already? We have no effective government, we have no effective opposition and we have no leadership from the so called winners of the referendum. Our currency is falling, we have already spent 40 years worth of EU contributions to stabilise the markets and in losses and there is already people on the streets calling for repatriation of immigrants.

You are quite unbelievable, you accuse others of following what the politicians and media say, accuse Vote leavers of being somehow racist, idiots, uneducated, etc, etc.

Of course you do know that leadership comes from Government, not the Brexiteers, indeed they cannot make no decisions at all, so why no leadership from the so called winners - it should read "no leadership in humility from the losers" !!! ha,ha

That is why Mr Cameron should have come out and shown some leadership by now and not show his sour grapes.

I try not to offend anyone my friend - but your posts really do take the biscuit.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Within all this turmoil I doubt many people will disagree the only politician to emerge with any stature and wisdom is Nicola Sturgeon. I just wish she could lead the whole country and not just Scotland. It has been said on TV several times by media pundits that she is the only politician with any sort of coherent plan. Squeaky bum time!

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:23 pm

powysblue wrote:

You are quite unbelievable, you accuse others of following what the politicians and media say, accuse Vote leavers of being somehow racist, idiots, uneducated, etc, etc.

Of course you do know that leadership comes from Government, not the Brexiteers, indeed they cannot make no decisions at all, so why no leadership from the so called winners - it should read "no leadership in humility from the losers" !!! ha,ha

That is why Mr Cameron should have come out and shown some leadership by now and not show his sour grapes.

I try not to offend anyone my friend - but your posts really do take the biscuit.

I have not anywhere accused anyone of being a racist, an idiot or uneducated unlike some, so you really should retract that statement please. People who know me, know that I am a very balanced person, so although I fundamentally disagree with your politics and those who have voted to leave, I respect your right to do so and that the majority vote has been cast in favour to leave, but surely even you can see that the situation is unravelling in front of our very eyes. You may not be one of them, but there are undoubtedly people who voted leave [as there probably were in the remain camp too] because they were promised certain things via the media or believed they were. I hold Cameron responsible for this whole mess by calling the referendum in the first place in order to try and sort out his internal party politics, but that does not mean the so called winners i.e. Brexsit despite not being the government should not be out there reassuring people or is it perhaps that they have no exit strategy?

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:Another 4 gone - given up their posts .... More to go ... What a mess!!!

Its just the start of the mess mate...

At 14:00 We have now seen 8 give up their posts...More to come ????

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
powysblue wrote:

I have not anywhere accused anyone of being a racist, an idiot or uneducated unlike some, so you really should retract that statement please. People who know me, know that I am a very balanced person, so although I fundamentally disagree with your politics and those who have voted to leave, I respect your right to do so and that the majority vote has been cast in favour to leave, but surely even you can see that the situation is unravelling in front of our very eyes. You may not be one of them, but there are undoubtedly people who voted leave [as there probably were in the remain camp too] because they were promised certain things via the media or believed they were. I hold Cameron responsible for this whole mess by calling the referendum in the first place in order to try and sort out his internal party politics, but that does not mean the so called winners i.e. Brexsit despite not being the government should not be out there reassuring people or is it perhaps that they have no exit strategy?

OK, Bluebird for life, I retract the racist bit but I'm Sure "The buffoon and his cronies" on the morning of the referendum result was a bit of over passion?

But with total respect, you do not seem to have a balanced view of others opinion - as you say we all have a democratic right of free speech, I just think that a little bit of Humility, especially when your views are overturned that the Gentlemanly thing to do is have a bit of respect for each others opinion and in this particular case - Get on with it !!

Keep Calm and carry on !!!

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:18 pm

carlccfc wrote:The Labour Party need David Milliband, plain and simple.

I agree, but can't see him coming back

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:34 pm

powysblue wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:
powysblue wrote:

OK, Bluebird for life, I retract the racist bit but I'm Sure "The buffoon and his cronies" on the morning of the referendum result was a bit of over passion?

But with total respect, you do not seem to have a balanced view of others opinion - as you say we all have a democratic right of free speech, I just think that a little bit of Humility, especially when your views are overturned that the Gentlemanly thing to do is have a bit of respect for each others opinion and in this particular case - Get on with it !!

Keep Calm and carry on !!!

thank you, retraction accepted. The quote about "the buffoon and his cronies" was meant at Johnson, Gove and Farrage and not anyone who voted for leave... The written word does sometimes not come across as how you are trying to express yourself and I accept that passion can be misinterpreted. I also don't believe many people who voted leave did not anticipate the chaos that would come as a consequence. I am genuinely fearful for the chaos this has caused and watching what is currently going on does nothing to allay that fear. I have seen the pictures of people with NF banners calling for repatriation and this disgusts me - my partner who is Polish has been scared to come to the UK recently until I convinced her that everything is OK. Now she will be here next month and I am worried that she will be subject to the sort of abuse that is clearly happening on our streets while nobody is stepping forward to offer any sort of leadership.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Carl, they missed a golden opportunity when they voted for his brother and created the double whammy of gaining an educated idiot in one hand whilst losing a world class politician in the other!

I am not as against Corbyn as I once (his speech yesterday was pretty calm overall) was but I wonder if there is a route back for David Miliband and importantly would he take it? :?

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:47 pm

scooby1973 wrote:

I agree with both statements.

What a different place the uk would be today if he was elected leader of the lab party. He could quite possibly be prime monster now. Probably no eu referendum even if the there was probably remain win.

But that's all ifs and buts. We are where we are. We need to move forward, no need for either side to continue throwing mud at each other. Accept the result that the people that voted wanted. It may well be the country didn't get what it wanted but that's the 28% of the population who chose not to vote for whatever reason and that's just part of life.

I personally believe that In 5 years time we still be I. The eu. Borris to be next pm dep down him and gove never wanted to leave and they'll negotiate terms that are acceptable to both sides. There may be another referendum about the new deal which I think will have baa king of most leave campaigners. And country will remote to remain by a land slide.

No science behind but just my feel of things. :-)

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:57 pm

the first thing the tories are going to have to do is find someone to sign article 50 as it is a no win job for whoever takes it on. Sign and they condemn us to the break up of the UK and all of the inevitable cost, uncertainty, the likely continuation of already implemented EU regulation and laws and red tape of the "divorce", don't sign, you retain the status quo and you aren't carrying out the will of the majority of the people. Tough choice, but I don't see Boris or Gove having the balls to do it. Farrage doesn't count as not as important as he thinks he is, so not many choices left and Cameron staying until October has really put the cat among the pigeons, despite the praise he got when he resigned because he stated that he would sign the morning after if he lost but it looks like he was calling all of their bluffs...

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:the first thing the tories are going to have to do is find someone to sign article 50 as it is a no win job for whoever takes it on. Sign and they condemn us to the break up of the UK and all of the inevitable cost, uncertainty, the likely continuation of already implemented EU regulation and laws and red tape of the "divorce", don't sign, you retain the status quo and you aren't carrying out the will of the majority of the people. Tough choice, but I don't see Boris or Gove having the balls to do it. Farrage doesn't count as not as important as he thinks he is, so not many choices left and Cameron staying until October has really put the cat among the pigeons, despite the praise he got when he resigned because he stated that he would sign the morning after if he lost but it looks like he was calling all of their bluffs...

Can't disagree with any of that! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:21 pm

bluebird-77 wrote:
scooby1973 wrote:

I agree with both statements.

What a different place the uk would be today if he was elected leader of the lab party. He could quite possibly be prime monster now. Probably no eu referendum even if the there was probably remain win.

But that's all ifs and buts. We are where we are. We need to move forward, no need for either side to continue throwing mud at each other. Accept the result that the people that voted wanted. It may well be the country didn't get what it wanted but that's the 28% of the population who chose not to vote for whatever reason and that's just part of life.

I personally believe that In 5 years time we still be I. The eu. Borris to be next pm dep down him and gove never wanted to leave and they'll negotiate terms that are acceptable to both sides. There may be another referendum about the new deal which I think will have baa king of most leave campaigners. And country will remote to remain by a land slide.

No science behind but just my feel of things. :-)

I am with you, i think we'll have a formal link, but not member of the European Parliament.

The Germans will come up with a compromise that will go to another quick referendum that all the parties except UKIP will agree with and it will be a coronation rather than a referendum.

The EU needed reforming and this may be the kick up the arse that is needed.

If we had a second referendum remain would win 60/40, but that would be undemocratic and make us look so weak we may as well join the Euro.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 pm

In all honesty no. But at least if a UK Government ever did decide to do something we will eventually have the ability to limit migration. We would never have that option by remaining.