Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' AS A CARDIFF CITY FAN, WHAT IS ? '

Sat May 28, 2016 8:42 am

As a Cardiff City fan, what is your most favourite season that you have had supporting the Bluebirds?

We have had some remarkable moments during some seasons :

2013/14 Premier League season,
2012/13 Promotion to the Premier League as Champions,
2011/12 League Cup Final appearence,
2009/10 Championship Play Off Final appearence,
2007/08 FA Cup Final appearance,
2002/03 Promotion to the Championship via Play Offs in Cardiff,
1993 Eddie May's title winning side.

There have been some memorable seasons amongst some of those, and there have been highlights during those and other seasons too but if you could re-live one season in particular, and not just one of the above, which would you choose and why ?

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' AS A CARDIFF CITY FAN, WHAT IS ? '

Sat May 28, 2016 9:05 am

For me Carl it has to be the Eddie Eddie May season 1993 :ayatollah:
Everyone was United as one,the feeling, the atmosphere was Amazing and Never to be forgotten :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Sat May 28, 2016 9:09 am

75/76 season carl it was my first promotion iwas only fourteen at the time carl

Sat May 28, 2016 9:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:For me Carl it has to be the Eddie Eddie May season 1993 :ayatollah:
Everyone was United as one,the feeling, the atmosphere was Amazing and Never to be forgotten :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

There has been many a good (and bad ) year following the City but I find it hard to disagree with this :thumbup:
One of my best matches tho was the play off semi final against Leicester,so many emotions that night!

Sat May 28, 2016 9:20 am

1982/83 promotion season ...... chesterfield last away game great memories
1986/87 promotion season ........burnley last away game great memories
1993 promotion season.............scunthorpe last away game great memories
great times

:bluescarf:

Sat May 28, 2016 9:21 am

1975/76 season under Jimmy Andrews where we come from something like 17th place after 12 games to finish 2nd in the League playing some fantastic football.

There were many great memories of that season like being 2-0 down at halftime against Wallsall away and winning 3-2 with non stop attacking 2nd half display. Signing Adrian Alston who scored twice on his debut against Chesterfield to see us win 4-3 at home was a catalyst for the promotion drive. Beating Peterborough 5-2 at home on a day where Willie Anderson was pretty much unplayable, What a winger he was Craig Noone eat your heart out mate.

But there was a week in April where we beat Palace away 1-0, Alston scored the winner from a Joe Dwyer cross and then 4 days later we beat top of the table Hereford 2-0 at home in front of 36,500 and were we 2nd and stayed there. We were promoted after beating Bury 1-0 away and what an evening that was especially meeting Palace fans in services on the M6 on the way home. That was real fun.

Jimmy Andrews was a great coach who did a fantastic job that season and we went up in real style.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat May 28, 2016 9:37 am

82/83 promotion season my first season watching Cardiff and promotion under Eddie May :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2016 9:42 am

I'm a little too young remember a couple of those.

But mine would be, even though it ended badly, the 2009/10 season. The reason was that the team was entertaining to watch that year. The quality we had that season was fantastic. Bothroyd, Chopra, Burke, Whittingham, Ledley, Hudson etc.

You could argue the quality of our team was better the following season but we underachieved then. 2009/10 for me.

Sat May 28, 2016 10:19 am

1975/76 without a doubt. Alston and Evans were magical and I will never forget the atmosphere at the Hereford match. :D
It was a different era , but the crowds in those days were more fanatical.

There have been a number of great seasons and higher promotions eg Malky , but there was something special then and of course the iconic shirt .

Sat May 28, 2016 10:22 am

For me it was the seasons under Jimmy Scoular when Toshack & Clarke were up front, and we were regulars in the European Cup Winners Cup.

Sat May 28, 2016 10:23 am

75/76 my first season watching home and away fantastic followings and great football wish we had evans and alston now

Sat May 28, 2016 10:30 am

cantonbluebird1959 wrote:1975/76 without a doubt. Alston and Evans were magical and I will never forget the atmosphere at the Hereford match. :D
It was a different era , but the crowds in those days were more fanatical.

There have been a number of great seasons and higher promotions eg Malky , but there was something special then and of course the iconic shirt .

I forgot about the shirt MY ALLTIME FAVOURITE.

Sat May 28, 2016 11:21 am

1960/61 for me in the old 1st Division and then perhaps a compilation of 63(ish) to 65(ish) when Ivor Allchurch and John Charles were around, magical.

Sat May 28, 2016 11:33 am

1975/76 was brilliant, celebrating promotion on the pitch at Bury, what a night, and what a team! Mike England was a colossus, Willie Anderson the wizard, Alston and Evans, taking more than 6000 fans to palace, great season.

Also 1970/71, should have been our best ever season, just missed promotion to the top flight by one place, quarter final of the cup winners cup, beating real Madrid, only soured by the sale of Toshack in November, we would have gone up if he had stayed surely.

Sat May 28, 2016 11:54 am

2003/4 first time in the second tier in my lifetime, we were finally at a level we belonged. There were some great atmospheres home and away. Also had good players like earnie and kav who really seemed to care about the club

Sat May 28, 2016 12:00 pm

75/76 alston,evans so on great season.

Sat May 28, 2016 12:02 pm

theclaw wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:For me Carl it has to be the Eddie Eddie May season 1993 :ayatollah:

There has been many a good (and bad ) year following the City but I find it hard to disagree with this :thumbup:
One of my best matches tho was the play off semi final against Leicester,so many emotions that night!

That was a great night and we have had many highs and lows following City.
But the Eddie May season had the whole of South Wales excited and everyone was behind the City/players/owner and of course Eddie May himself :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat May 28, 2016 12:03 pm

castleblue wrote:1975/76 season under Jimmy Andrews where we come from something like 17th place after 12 games to finish 2nd in the League playing some fantastic football.

There were many great memories of that season like being 2-0 down at halftime against Wallsall away and winning 3-2 with non stop attacking 2nd half display. Signing Adrian Alston who scored twice on his debut against Chesterfield to see us win 4-3 at home was a catalyst for the promotion drive. Beating Peterborough 5-2 at home on a day where Willie Anderson was pretty much unplayable, What a winger he was Craig Noone eat your heart out mate.

But there was a week in April where we beat Palace away 1-0, Alston scored the winner from a Joe Dwyer cross and then 4 days later we beat top of the table Hereford 2-0 at home in front of 36,500 and were we 2nd and stayed there. We were promoted after beating Bury 1-0 away and what an evening that was especially meeting Palace fans in services on the M6 on the way home. That was real fun.

Jimmy Andrews was a great coach who did a fantastic job that season and we went up in real style.

Couldn't have put that any better.Great season,great memories. :bluescarf:

Sat May 28, 2016 12:12 pm

02/03 for me. I was right behind the flight of the ball and knew it was going in. A great moment for me.

Sat May 28, 2016 12:31 pm

12/13 season for me.

More memorable days that season than any other.

Being clapped away from the ground by 2 separate sets of fans, party down the bay.

Big away wins at Leicester and Sheff Weds.
Exciting draws at Burnley and Hull.

Win after win in front of huge crowds at home.

Sat May 28, 2016 4:36 pm

1970/71 season but did we throw that final game at Sheffield Utd when we lost 5-1 to not go up?

Sat May 28, 2016 4:37 pm

1970/71 season but did we throw that final game at Sheffield Utd when we lost 5-1 to not go up?

Sat May 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Defiantly the Eddie May barmy army era. Remember many times going crazy in the bob bank when the likes of Stant & Dale scored

Sat May 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Agree, away days like Wrexham and Scunthorpe and home games like Shrewsbury where Ninian Park was rocking with 18k plus will always live long in my memory. :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sat May 28, 2016 8:33 pm

I have to agree with this; a sensational season and the fans really were behind the club, manager (in particular) and the team on the pitch no matter what!

I seem to remember we took what was then a massive support (over 16k) to the old Cardiff Arms Park for the Welsh Cup Final against Rhyl, too!

Super season and one Eddie May (RIP) was certainly up there with our best ever managers! :ayatollah: :notworthy:

Sat May 28, 2016 8:35 pm

1993 for me, great season

Sat May 28, 2016 9:05 pm

1992-93 season, was unbelievable watching the crowds grow, junior bluebirds, a genuine togetherness, other than that not sure, the 1999-2000 season was class, but for different reasons

Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 pm

I have so many great memories. Never forget the 82-83 season as it was my first full season supporting ccfc and we went up. Loved the Bennett brothers and Jeff Hemmerman. Any promotion season has great memories.

Cup victories such as league cup v Chelsea (platnauer scoring twice), FA cup v man city, Leeds and Barnsley all superb. Never forget my grandad's last game which was v Plymouth when we were 1-4 down at half time and won 5-4.

The play offs in 2003 were superb beating the wurzels then Andy Campbell's 114th minute winner v QPR in final.

Other great memories are my boys being mascots and leading team out v Plymouth and Watford.

Plus it's not just about the football it's the friends you make on the way.

Sat May 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Nothing can touch 93, had the lot :thumbup:

Sat May 28, 2016 10:35 pm

yes gareth wilts the 1982/83 was very special as it was the first time i ever saw city promoted being an avid fan from 1978 .

The chesterfield last away game that year was special lifting dave bennett on my shoulders after the game cementing promotion with thousands on the pitch after the game .always thought his brother was a better player for us tho