Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHAT DO WE NEED TO GET BACK TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE?

Fri May 27, 2016 12:15 am

Two years of Championship football since our relegation from the Premier League. A lot has changed since that 13/14 team. :roll:

The last two seasons, CCFC reached 11th (2014/2015) and then 8th (2015/2016).

What does Cardiff City need to get back to the Premier League?

:ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Re: WHAT DO WE NEED TO GET BACK TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE?

Fri May 27, 2016 1:05 am

What a huge question!

To be fair, the club has started to listen to the fans and slowly but surely, I think the feel good factor can return. There have been signs of green shoots in terms of home match attendance and although Slade isn't exactly a revered character, he has shown some promise by achieving a top half finish on very little budget to spend on players.

What's needed?

MONEY
LUCK
UNITY

Next season is likely to be even more competitive with the likes of really big clubs (Newcastle and Villa) replacing the promoted teams. Rafa is staying at St James' so I fully expect them to be top 2. For any other team to compete, they have to spend some money on quality and Cardiff is no exception, but I always argue against bringing in a load. Just target one or two.

Fingers crossed!

Fri May 27, 2016 9:25 am

Luck and good team work with a couple of good aditions to team! :old:

Fri May 27, 2016 10:39 am

A manager and a budget to enable us to challenge at the top of the Championship.

That's not having a go at anyone and I wish Trollope well in playing the hand he's been dealt.

I just feel that without those two things we won't get anywhere near promotion.

Fri May 27, 2016 10:47 am

All I will say is that last season was prob the weakest Championship for many many years and we should of seized the opportunity.

Next season is going to very very tough.

Fri May 27, 2016 11:16 am

I think most of us would agree we were only a "Chopra (first spell)" away from a very good team. But, finding the elusive goalscorer has been are blind spot since Chops.

Zahore may be it, if he has a hard preseason, he just looked a bit soft to me.

The pressure on Newcastle may be unbearable. According the their fans and the media they should win every game, drawing away may appear a poor result, don't forget they will have to play 43 cup finals away and win 5-0 at home every game. Do they have a championship type squad and manager like last time ?

Villa are a mess. Big time Charlies players on the downgrade on a lot of money as well.

Norwich look a classic yoyo team. They'll keep their squad and manager and go very close, this is where my fiver will be heading for the automatic spots.

Fri May 27, 2016 11:18 am

Forever Blue wrote:All I will say is that last season was prob the weakest Championship for many many years and we should of seized the opportunity.

Annis, It was never going to happen with Slade in charge.

I think the club actually gave up on being serious about promotion as soon as they sacked Ole and decided that the way forward was cost cutting and a League 1 manager. If they were serious about promotion they would have got a manager in at that time such as Pulis who was available and given him the opportunity to get the club back up.

I certainly understand the logic of what was done but unfortunately it was always going to be at the expense of our attempts to get promoted and the club is in the same position today.

Promotion is further away now than it has been at any time since we got back into the Championship I'm afraid.

Fri May 27, 2016 11:48 am

A manager that's left to build his own team with his own signings (within budget given).

Fri May 27, 2016 11:49 am

a MIRACLE this season coming :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Fri May 27, 2016 12:00 pm

lathamgaffney wrote:Two years of Championship football since our relegation from the Premier League. A lot has changed since that 13/14 team. :roll:

The last two seasons, CCFC reached 11th (2014/2015) and then 8th (2015/2016).

What does Cardiff City need to get back to the Premier League?

Cardiff needs a 40 team premier league

Then we will be in for sure!!!!!!
:ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2016 12:31 pm

to win 6 more games than we did last season :ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2016 1:13 pm

rustyblue wrote:to win 6 more games than we did last season :ayatollah:

Actually, that's not too hard with a decent (regular) striker and looking at the draws we managed to steal from the jaws of victory last season! ;)

The way I look at it is that two teams will go up automatically, the next four will fight it out in the end of season lottery and Cardiff City FC have as much chance of occupying at least one of those slots as every other team (including 'new to The championship' Rafa Benitez and Newcastle) provided they recruit well and step up a gear from last season! :thumbup:

New coach/manager, a decently consistent strike force and a stable squad backed by a more supportive and vocal in-stadium fan base will give City an edge that (when on form) few others can beat! :ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2016 1:14 pm

we need about 4 good players not average frees we need to buy players who are actually worth the money we spend rather than hoping we pick up a decent free

yes there is good free transfers available but generally if you want quality u have to pay for it

Fri May 27, 2016 1:30 pm

davids wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:All I will say is that last season was prob the weakest Championship for many many years and we should of seized the opportunity.

Annis, It was never going to happen with Slade in charge.

I think the club actually gave up on being serious about promotion as soon as they sacked Ole and decided that the way forward was cost cutting and a League 1 manager. If they were serious about promotion they would have got a manager in at that time such as Pulis who was available and given him the opportunity to get the club back up.

I certainly understand the logic of what was done but unfortunately it was always going to be at the expense of our attempts to get promoted and the club is in the same position today.

Promotion is further away now than it has been at any time since we got back into the Championship I'm afraid.

Theres a lot of sense in what your saying there David :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I will be supporting Trollope next season, but I don't have high hopes for us.

Fri May 27, 2016 2:25 pm

A team that WANTS TO WIN for me. I know Slade has to shoulder some of the blame but the Sheffield Wednesday must win game just about summed up the currents squads desire.

Too many games last season it just looked like a good percentage of the squad were just going through the motions and doing the minimum required to receive a pay check, this is something that Trollope definitely needs sorting.

Fri May 27, 2016 2:52 pm

Sven wrote:
rustyblue wrote:to win 6 more games than we did last season :ayatollah:

Actually, that's not too hard with a decent (regular) striker and looking at the draws we managed to steal from the jaws of victory last season! ;)

The way I look at it is that two teams will go up automatically, the next four will fight it out in the end of season lottery and Cardiff City FC have as much chance of occupying at least one of those slots as every other team (including 'new to The championship' Rafa Benitez and Newcastle) provided they recruit well and step up a gear from last season! :thumbup:

New coach/manager, a decently consistent strike force and a stable squad backed by a more supportive and vocal in-stadium fan base will give City an edge that (when on form) few others can beat! :ayatollah:

we only need to win 3 more games than last year to cement top 6, and there was at least 5 that we drew or lost that we really should have taken all the points from. :ayatollah:

I have to agree though the 12 man effect is sadly missing.

Fri May 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Quality players, especially proven goal scorers cost money, and unfortunately that is something that Cardiff are not going to have much of for the time being. I am not convinced we are going to get back to the Premier League for many years to come. The Championship is a good league, and I hope we can at least stay there rather than slip down to the lower tiers again. I spent years following this club when playing at our current level was a distant dream, I hope we don't ever end up in that position again where it was considered an achievement to take a point off the likes of Barnet etc.

Fri May 27, 2016 4:27 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I think most of us would agree we were only a "Chopra (first spell)" away from a very good team. But, finding the elusive goalscorer has been are blind spot since Chops.

Zahore may be it, if he has a hard preseason, he just looked a bit soft to me.

The pressure on Newcastle may be unbearable. According the their fans and the media they should win every game, drawing away may appear a poor result, don't forget they will have to play 43 cup finals away and win 5-0 at home every game. Do they have a championship type squad and manager like last time ?

Villa are a mess. Big time Charlies players on the downgrade on a lot of money as well.

Norwich look a classic yoyo team. They'll keep their squad and manager and go very close, this is where my fiver will be heading for the automatic spots.

Or Saadi. ;)

Fri May 27, 2016 4:59 pm

We are about 5 quality players away from making a real genuine challenge

Unfortunately that going to cost more than £15 million and I don't think our owner is prepared to dip into his wallet anymore

Fri May 27, 2016 7:01 pm

Long term philosophy and identity. Simple as. A style of play that sits in the club, no matter who is the manager..
Very interesting to see what Trollope brings to the table, and if the club makes a u-turn yet again..

Fri May 27, 2016 7:21 pm

Main thing is patience as i do believe Trollope may do well if given a little time. Season after next we will be promoted :ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Part of the challenge city will face us whether or not Trollope gets it right with the current squad. I feel he has to be brave to move club forward, there cam be no room for blue eyed favourites. As much as I love the guy I would move on Whitts or at best use him as sub. Gunnarson too would be shipped out for me. I hope we manage to retain Marshall, Manga and Fabio. Finding 2 15-25 goal a season strikers is and continues to be main focus.....look at Watford and Bournemouth, both teams had going into the Prem what we lacked last time.

Fri May 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Mainly some fire power if we keep the same team together along with no 90 minute goals against us

Fri May 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Spot On
Teams coming down next year are massive clubs with large parachute payments to come.
The Championship was poor quality last season.
I think that Tan just wants to stabilise us as a club.

Mon May 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Our main issue is defensively. If we can focus on being a strong defensive team and keep a lot of clean sheets then we have a chance.

I think we need to really try our very best to keep Bruno Ecuélé Manga. He's one of the best defenders we've had at Cardiff City FC. Matt Connolly has been okay but if we can keep Manga and get another solid defender then that's a major component covered.