Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' SAD NEWS: CARDIFF CITY LEGEND '

Wed May 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Cardiff City legend Ian Gibson dies aged 73

By Phil Smith

Wednesday 25th May 2016

Ian Gibson, one of the legendary Cardiff City team to defeat Real Madrid, has died at the age of 73.

Signed for £35,000, Gibson played for the Bluebirds' from 1970-1972 before leaving to join Bournemouth.

The Scottish midfielder was hugely popular at all his clubs, including Middlesbrough and Coventry City.

Gibson had lived in Teeside since his retirement for the game, working on North Sea oil rigs and scouting for the Sky Blues.

His former Middlesbrough team-mate, Gordon Jones, has paid tribute to an outstanding footballer.

He said: "He was only a small lad but his control of the ball and passing with both feet was absolutely incredible. You don’t see many players today who could do what Ian could do,

"Ian enjoyed his football and he enjoyed his life as well."

His place in Cardiff City folklore will be forever secure after taking part in the famous 1-0 win over the Spanish giants in 1971.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SAD NEWS: CITY LEGEND

Wed May 25, 2016 2:08 pm

RIP Ian Gibson :cry:

A Cardiff city legend without shadow of doubt and I was lucky enough to see him play :ayatollah: :notworthy:

:bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Wed May 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Sad news. R.ip
Was lucky enough to see him play.

Wed May 25, 2016 2:43 pm

What a player Gibbo was - Plus a massive gambler

Rumour has it that he was once chased by Bookies whist training and climbed over the Bob Bank wall across Ninian Park Halt to escape :digging2:

RIP Ian - Thanks for the memories :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed May 25, 2016 2:48 pm

RIP Ian Gibson.

My favourite City player of all time.

When my dad first took me to watch the City in 1970/71 the players seemed like absolute heroes to me.

And Ian Gibson was the greatest of them all.

I feel privileged to have been able to see him in a City shirt.

Wed May 25, 2016 2:54 pm

Rest In Peace.
:bluebird:

Wed May 25, 2016 2:56 pm

Rumours abound. The one I heard was that he used to stop for 3 pints in the Culverhouse Cross on his way to the game ⚽️

Wed May 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Such sad news,thank you Gibbo for some wonderful memories,such a privelige to see you play at the heart of my very favourite
City team Rest in peace.

Wed May 25, 2016 3:25 pm

This is very sad news indeed - one of my all time favourite Cardiff City players. RIP :bluebird:

Wed May 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Excellent player for The City.

R.I.P. Ian. Bluebird. :ayatollah:

Wed May 25, 2016 3:45 pm

RIP Gibbo what a player he was, instrumental player in a fantastic team,thank you for some wonderful memories :bluescarf:

Wed May 25, 2016 4:04 pm

R.I.P. Gibbo,

Quite simply the best player I have ever seen in a bluebird's shirt. Tenacious, two footed, great ability, fantastic determination and infectious attitude to win. How we could do with his undoubted talent in midfield next season.

Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Sven wrote:RIP Ian Gibson :cry:

A Cardiff city legend without shadow of doubt and I was lucky enough to see him play :ayatollah: :notworthy:

:bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

For me the best player I've seen play for Cardiff ..... from the Jimmy Scoular days up to the present time , highly skilled player who use to waltz around opponents with ease

Wed May 25, 2016 4:17 pm

7777 glt wrote:
Sven wrote:RIP Ian Gibson :cry:

For me the best player I've seen play for Cardiff ..... from the Jimmy Scoular days up to the present time , highly skilled player who use to waltz around opponents with ease

Fantastic player and one of those we can truly boast about seeing play :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Absolutely fantastic midfield general for City - a privilege to have seen him play many times at NP.
RIP Legend

Wed May 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Rip gibo. little player big ❤ proud to have watched ypu play for city

Re: ' SAD NEWS: CARDIFF CITY LEGEND '

Wed May 25, 2016 4:51 pm

RIP Ian Gibbson :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed May 25, 2016 4:58 pm

I can only echo what others have said, one of my favourite players from that era. R.I.P. Ian Gibson.

Wed May 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Too young to remember much of him. But read and heard plenty .....Rip "bluebird" :ayatollah:

Wed May 25, 2016 6:38 pm

Ian Gibson was the best player I have ever seen at Cardiff City and it was he who gave me the love for the club I have followed for nearly 50 years. He epitomised that old football phrase 'the midfield maestro'. He was a magician. His skill and flair knew no bounds.
When I was 11 years of age I wrote a school project all about my favourite football club. I still have it. On the last page I stuck a football card with a picture of Ian Gibson and the caption 'My favourite Cardiff City player'.
34 years later I met him and I took my school project with me and asked him to sign that page. He gladly did so and we chatted about his time at Cardiff City and the day we beat Real Madrid. He was staggered that a 46 year old man still worshipped him, let alone still had his school project from 1971 which had featured him.
To me he was a genius.

Wed May 25, 2016 7:19 pm

A brilliant player. Simply fantastic :ayatollah:

Wed May 25, 2016 7:23 pm

Bluebeetle wrote:Ian Gibson was the best player I have ever seen at Cardiff City and it was he who gave me the love for the club I have followed for nearly 50 years. He epitomised that old football phrase 'the midfield maestro'. He was a magician. His skill and flair knew no bounds.
When I was 11 years of age I wrote a school project all about my favourite football club. I still have it. On the last page I stuck a football card with a picture of Ian Gibson and the caption 'My favourite Cardiff City player'.
34 years later I met him and I took my school project with me and asked him to sign that page. He gladly did so and we chatted about his time at Cardiff City and the day we beat Real Madrid. He was staggered that a 46 year old man still worshipped him, let alone still had his school project from 1971 which had featured him.
To me he was a genius.

Brilliant Bluebeetle, you must be very proud mate. 8-)

School projects were a big thing in the 70's - I did one on St Fagans House and Gardens in 1971 - looking through it the other day, so many memories !!

bloody getting old eh !! :roll:

RIP - IAN GIBSON - remember those great football days with fondness.

Blooobirds Forever !!! :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Wed May 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Very sad news. Great memories. RIP Ian.

Wed May 25, 2016 8:05 pm

The most gifted midfielder I've seen at Cardiff City.

Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 pm

Sven wrote:Cardiff City legend Ian Gibson dies aged 73

By Phil Smith

Wednesday 25th May 2016

Ian Gibson, one of the legendary Cardiff City team to defeat Real Madrid, has died at the age of 73.

Signed for £35,000, Gibson played for the Bluebirds' from 1970-1972 before leaving to join Bournemouth.

The Scottish midfielder was hugely popular at all his clubs, including Middlesbrough and Coventry City.

Gibson had lived in Teeside since his retirement for the game, working on North Sea oil rigs and scouting for the Sky Blues.

His former Middlesbrough team-mate, Gordon Jones, has paid tribute to an outstanding footballer.

He said: "He was only a small lad but his control of the ball and passing with both feet was absolutely incredible. You don’t see many players today who could do what Ian could do,

"Ian enjoyed his football and he enjoyed his life as well."

His place in Cardiff City folklore will be forever secure after taking part in the famous 1-0 win over the Spanish giants in 1971.

If only we had a midfield player of his calibre in our team now

Wed May 25, 2016 9:25 pm

I remember him signing for city, he played against us for Coventry about two weeks previous, great player. Didn't he turn up at half time a few weeks ago at ccstadium ? Great player for city. RIP a true city legend :bluebird:

Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Whenever I try to name my best CCFC 11 of all time, Gibbo is always first on the team sheet. He was simply a genius. Really sad day for all who were lucky enough to have seen him.

Thu May 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Very, very sad news, without question the best midfield player i have ever seen at the city. RIP Gibbo.

Thu May 26, 2016 10:35 pm

RIP to a true City great.

Fri May 27, 2016 9:30 am

TOP PLAYER LUCKY TO HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY , WOULD BE WORTH A LOT TODAY SAD LOSS :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: