Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Breaking News/Rafa Benitez "

Wed May 25, 2016 11:41 am

Newcastle United are delighted to confirm that Rafa Benitez will remain as manager after signing a new initial three-year contract

Newcastle United are delighted to confirm that Rafa Benitez will remain as Newcastle United manager, after signing a new initial three-year contract.

On Wednesday afternoon the Spaniard put pen to paper on the deal which will keep him on Tyneside until at least the summer of 2019.

Benitez will have day-to-day responsibility for all football-related matters at the club.

The 56-year-old joined the Magpies in March, taking charge of the team for the final ten games of the 2015/16 season.

Despite the club's eventual relegation, he led United to three victories and a six-game unbeaten run, which culminated in a comprehensive 5-1 victory over Tottenham Hotspur on the final day of the season.

Benitez said: "I am extremely pleased to be staying at Newcastle United.

"The love I could feel from the fans was a big influence for me in my decision to stay, as was my relationship with Lee Charnley and all the staff.

"This is a huge club and I wanted to be part of the great future I can see for Newcastle United."

Managing director Lee Charnley added: "When we brought Rafa to the club in March, we knew he was a phenomenal manager and everything we have seen from him since has only served to reinforce that.

"We are therefore delighted to have secured his services for the next three years and I believe with Rafa as manager it gives us the best possible chance of returning to the Premier League at the first time of asking and delivering success for this football club beyond that.

"It is clear that Rafa has connected deeply with the club's supporters and we do not underestimate the role they have played in his decision to stay.

"He has captured the hearts and minds not just of the fans, but of everyone who has had the pleasure of working with him at the club thus far.

"As a world-class manager we had no doubt in our minds as to the importance of retaining him at Newcastle United."

UPDATED

Rafa Benitez has agreed a three-year deal to stay as Newcastle manager.

Re: " Breaking News/Rafa Benitez "

Wed May 25, 2016 11:58 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Rafa Benitez has agreed a three-year deal to stay as Newcastle manager.

They've done very well to keep him

Wed May 25, 2016 12:43 pm

from real madrid to the championship,they must be breaking the bank to keep him, they will go straight back up imo,although rafa doesnt have any idea how tough the championship can be i think he will build a squad very tough to beat

Wed May 25, 2016 12:51 pm

There will be some very experienced and successful managers in the Championship next season.

Benitez will be the main one of course but it looks like Di Matteo will be at Villa and no doubt Derby will be looking for an experienced manager to try again to get them promoted.

Then there's Houghton at Brighton and Bruce at Hull if they stay down.

It's a massive task for Trollope with his team leading experience (or lack of it) pitting himself against some of these guys.

Can't see even the most optimistic of fan thinking we could get a top 2 place next season.

Even those who run the club don't believe it as they are always setting a top 6 finish as a target.

Wed May 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Rafa Benitez has agreed a three-year deal to stay as Newcastle manager.

Annis, he's a good manager. More than good enough for the Premier League and did a good job at Newcastle in a short amount of time. Apparently they've had to put in his new contract that he has 100% control over all transfers, due to what that club have done in the past.

I'll be shocked if they don't go up.

Wed May 25, 2016 1:52 pm

That's a great coup for Newcastle and they have (i my eyes) to be early favourites for an immediate return by some distance!

A fantastic trip up there for our club's loyal away following. Great ground, decent people and one of the best nights out anywhere in the UK :thumbup: :ayatollah:

' NEWCASTLE PRESS CONFERENCE '

Wed May 25, 2016 5:12 pm

NEWCASTLE PRESS CONFERENCE

25/05/15

Newcastle United have just announced they will be holding a press conference at 7pm when they are expected to announce that interim boss Rafa Benitez has agreed to stay at St James' Park next season.

And we will of course bring you news of what the Spaniard says...

Re: ' NEWCASTLE PRESS CONFERENCE '

Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm

I am up here in Newcastle all this week and nobody seems excited about it.
There just looking forward to playing in the championship and going to Cardiff etc

Re: ' NEWCASTLE PRESS CONFERENCE '

Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm

I am up here in Newcastle all this week and nobody seems excited about it.
There just looking forward to playing in the championship and going to Cardiff etc

Wed May 25, 2016 5:52 pm

" CONFIRMED: NEWCASTLE UNITED STATEMENT "

Newcastle United are delighted to confirm that Rafa Benitez will remain as manager after signing a new initial three-year contract

Newcastle United are delighted to confirm that Rafa Benitez will remain as Newcastle United manager, after signing a new initial three-year contract.

On Wednesday afternoon the Spaniard put pen to paper on the deal which will keep him on Tyneside until at least the summer of 2019.

Benitez will have day-to-day responsibility for all football-related matters at the club.

The 56-year-old joined the Magpies in March, taking charge of the team for the final ten games of the 2015/16 season.

Despite the club's eventual relegation, he led United to three victories and a six-game unbeaten run, which culminated in a comprehensive 5-1 victory over Tottenham Hotspur on the final day of the season.

Benitez said: "I am extremely pleased to be staying at Newcastle United.

"The love I could feel from the fans was a big influence for me in my decision to stay, as was my relationship with Lee Charnley and all the staff.

"This is a huge club and I wanted to be part of the great future I can see for Newcastle United."

Managing director Lee Charnley added: "When we brought Rafa to the club in March, we knew he was a phenomenal manager and everything we have seen from him since has only served to reinforce that.

"We are therefore delighted to have secured his services for the next three years and I believe with Rafa as manager it gives us the best possible chance of returning to the Premier League at the first time of asking and delivering success for this football club beyond that.

"It is clear that Rafa has connected deeply with the club's supporters and we do not underestimate the role they have played in his decision to stay.

"He has captured the hearts and minds not just of the fans, but of everyone who has had the pleasure of working with him at the club thus far.

"As a world-class manager we had no doubt in our minds as to the importance of retaining him at Newcastle United."

Wed May 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Sign of intent from the Geordies...not sure how his current group of players will cope with the hurly burly of the championship...I would expect a major overhaul at the club player wise but Ashley will bankroll it he will want to get back to the premiership first time of asking

Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer has said he is delighted but a little bit surprised that Benitez has decided to stay on at the club.