Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff Council ‘cant afford’ Euro 2016 fan zones '

Tue May 24, 2016 8:26 am

' Cardiff Council ‘cant afford’ Euro 2016 fan zones '

...yet the rugby world cup had one. One of my mates are on Radio Wales this morning to raise awarness to try and get the ball rolling into actually getting a fanzone sorted for fans in Wales.

https://www.change.org/p/fanzone-for-wa ... o-fixtures

Cardiff Council say they ‘can’t afford to install fan zones around the city for Wales’ Euro 2016 campaign.

Welsh football fans will travel to France in their thousands this summer to watch their country play in a major tournament for the first time since 1958 but many supporters wont’t be able to make the journey.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: There's No Fanzone In Cardiff for Euros...

Tue May 24, 2016 9:06 am

YEP, very shortsighted by Cardiff City Council - would be a great occasion and a good money spinner for them, surely. Not to mention promotion of our great Capitol City?

Yet grass infront of City Hall has events outside throughout the year?

I think as you say, Rugby Bias by council leaders. :( VERY :(

Wales and Blooobirds Forever !!! :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Tue May 24, 2016 9:13 am

The key is to get Sponsors,Rugby has no problems getting sponsorship so it's up to the Welsh FA or perhaps the League clubs to open their Stadiums and make some money?

Tue May 24, 2016 11:25 am

I'd imagine the big screen in the Hayes area would be showing all the Wales games. Seen temporary seats added a few times, hopefully they will do something similar as an absolute minimum

Tue May 24, 2016 11:40 am

Apparently not one anywhere in Wales!!! :o

Tue May 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Why aren't the club doing anything?

Tue May 24, 2016 1:23 pm

the rugby fanzones were paid for by Rugby World cup not Cardiff Council, the FA would need to stump up the cash

Tue May 24, 2016 1:24 pm

trentuniblue wrote:I'd imagine the big screen in the Hayes area would be showing all the Wales games. Seen temporary seats added a few times, hopefully they will do something similar as an absolute minimum
that's stopped a few years ago, council cutbacks

Tue May 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Jazz Cock wrote:the rugby fanzones were paid for by Rugby World cup not Cardiff Council, the FA would need to stump up the cash

Well getting enough money for being in euros to be able to pay for a couple of zones around Wales

Tue May 24, 2016 1:32 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Jazz Cock wrote:the rugby fanzones were paid for by Rugby World cup not Cardiff Council, the FA would need to stump up the cash

Well getting enough money for being in euros to be able to pay for a couple of zones around Wales

exactly, the FA could easily do that! :ayatollah:

Tue May 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Typical of the small minded attitude of the suits at the Welsh FA. You can bet their priority was getting their own first class travel and hotels sorted before they consider the fans

Tue May 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Cardiff Council ‘cant afford’ Euro 2016 fan zones

May 24, 2016

By Jamie Kemble

Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff Council, Chris Coleman, FAW, Millennium Stadium, Wales National Team

Cardiff Council say they ‘can’t afford to install fan zones around the city for Wales’ Euro 2016 campaign.

Welsh football fans will travel to France in their thousands this summer to watch their country play in a major tournament for the first time since 1958 but many supporters wont’t be able to make the journey.

Football fans around the country have called upon the council to set up fan zones in Cardiff for fans who can’t make next months’ competition in France.

Cardiff council have told BBC Wales, “Cuts to council budget over the years mean that we don’t have the funds to run a fan zone”.

Football fans around the country have been left disappointed with the council’s decision, especially as the council administered a rugby fan zone for the World Cup just last year. Fans on social media claim there is a bias towards rugby from Welsh councils and the decision will stop fans from feeling a part of the Euro 2016 adventure.

The Rugby World Cup fan zone in Cardiff Arms Park during October 2015 attracted more than 100,000 fans over the course of the competition and Welsh fans across social media believe such a set-up could attract similar numbers during the Euro 2016 campaign.

The national football team have proved they can keep up with the support of the rugby in the past, selling out the Millennium Stadium on a number of occasions before moving to the Cardiff City Stadium which has been packed out on several of occasions during the recent qualification campaign.

Football fans will feel hard done by this summer as those left in Wales will have to find their own way of watching Euro 2016 fixtures with no recognition from the council despite Chris Coleman and his men embarking upon a history-making campaign.

Re: ' Cardiff Council ‘cant afford’ Euro 2016 fan zones '

Tue May 24, 2016 2:57 pm

ImNafe wrote:...yet the rugby world cup had one. One of my mates are on Radio Wales this morning to raise awarness to try and get the ball rolling into actually getting a fanzone sorted for fans in Wales.

https://www.change.org/p/fanzone-for-wa ... o-fixtures

Cause all the money goes on f**k immigration house in Cardiff,our council tax

Tue May 24, 2016 3:36 pm

Jazz Cock wrote: that's stopped a few years ago, council cutbacks

Yep cut backs are needed to up there wages also every fecking year :laughing5:

Tue May 24, 2016 3:58 pm

I am not saying I am right by any stretch of the imagination but part of me thinks that there probably wouldnt be much demand for it, sure loads of people will sign a petition but will they go to Cardiff for the 2pm Thursday afternoon or 8pm Monday nighter?

The majority of the hardcore Wales support will be in France, people at home will more than likely prefer watch it at home or in their locals.

Tue May 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Why don't the club get a big screen in and have an ideal place for thousands of people to go and watch it and we might be able to afford a new player from the lower leagues then lol :thumbup:

Tue May 24, 2016 7:58 pm

It is actually embarrassing, we have a chance to showcase we are not just rugby but football as a national team is on up.

More of a fuss should be kicked up.

Tue May 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Absolutely pathetic rubbish now collected every two weeks

- councillors chauffeur driven cars daily
hundreds of daft things THEY spend on daily and save on cut backs

the country gets its biggest occasion in football in many years and lets its public down

our message to you is simple WANKERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 pm

create your own FANZONES all over wales and cause Mayhem with travel and litter bagged up of course make them sit up and listen or pay for their mistakes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Massive parties will take place -

Basically no respect for the national team or proud Welsh Folk !!!!!

lets spend money on inviting terroists to march through the cities instead and offer them tea and cakes and give them your local church so councilors can take back handers

Tue May 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Jazz Cock wrote:
trentuniblue wrote:I'd imagine the big screen in the Hayes area would be showing all the Wales games. Seen temporary seats added a few times, hopefully they will do something similar as an absolute minimum
that's stopped a few years ago, council cutbacks

Ah right, I hadn't realised that. Surely it wouldn't be too expensive to set up again.

Wed May 25, 2016 9:47 am

if Cardiff council didn't pay for the fanzone for the Rugby World Cup that was being held in the city I cant see them paying for a fanzone for the euros.

Wed May 25, 2016 11:11 am

Whichever way you look at it, its an utter fiasco on the Council's part. Biggest achievement in Welsh football for years, superb opportunity for them to stage events but as far as I can see, absolutely nothing planned. Unbelievable.

Wed May 25, 2016 11:32 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:Whichever way you look at it, its an utter fiasco on the Council's part. Biggest achievement in Welsh football for years, superb opportunity for them to stage events but as far as I can see, absolutely nothing planned. Unbelievable.

What other Council in Wales is paying for a fanzone? not one. Maybe the welsh government should find money to give to each local authority to allow them to do it.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:42 pm

Jazz Cock wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:Whichever way you look at it, its an utter fiasco on the Council's part. Biggest achievement in Welsh football for years, superb opportunity for them to stage events but as far as I can see, absolutely nothing planned. Unbelievable.

What other Council in Wales is paying for a fanzone? not one. Maybe the welsh government should find money to give to each local authority to allow them to do it.

There are no excuses. Whichever way you look at it, a major opportunity has been lost. I'm sure that a few corporates could have been brought on board to sponsor a fanzone, much the same as Hyndai are installing a 360 degree screen in their fanzone in Kings Cross station. Fantastic marketing opportunity for firms and at minimal cost to the council as it's paid for by the sponsors. I am genuinely gobsmacked why something similar is not happening in the Welsh capital.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:51 pm

I think the WAG should have had this covered and worked with councils & sponsors to set up fan zones in Cardiff, Wrexham, Swansea and others. It would have been a great opportunity to bring the nation together.

Wed May 25, 2016 1:43 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:I think the WAG should have had this covered and worked with councils & sponsors to set up fan zones in Cardiff, Wrexham, Swansea and others. It would have been a great opportunity to bring the nation together.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wed May 25, 2016 2:31 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:I think the WAG should have had this covered and worked with councils & sponsors to set up fan zones in Cardiff, Wrexham, Swansea and others. It would have been a great opportunity to bring the nation together.

What is the 'WAG'? Do you mean the 'Welsh Assembly Government'? If so, it doesn't exist anymore. It's the 'Welsh Government'.

Wed May 25, 2016 2:32 pm

bluebird58 wrote:Typical of the small minded attitude of the suits at the Welsh FA. You can bet their priority was getting their own first class travel and hotels sorted before they consider the fans

How the actual f**k is any of this the fault of the FAW?!

Wed May 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

What is the 'WAG'? Do you mean the 'Welsh Assembly Government'? If so, it doesn't exist anymore. It's the 'Welsh Government'.

Certainly do. I do believe that a couple of members of the 'Welsh Government' were calling for action on this some time back but I guess that the wasters were too busy campaigning to make sure that they got their nose back in the trough for a few more years. What do they do again?