Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RIP MIKE RODERICK TO A DIEHARD CARDIFF CITY FAN

Mon May 09, 2016 5:47 am

RIP MIKE RODERICK TO A DIEHARD CARDIFF CITY FAN
Loved the City Beyond/Straight Talking and Believed in Principles.
I had many cups of coffee with Mike,followed by some of the best conversations/chats I've ever had with a City Fan.

Mike was a True Blue and you will be Sadly missed :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Finally off the rollercoaster

This blog is being written by Jen, Elis, Ceri & Carys, as opposed to Mike, so please forgive our lack of eloquence, he was the wordsmith in the family.

It is with deep, deep sadness that we have to tell you that Mike passed away peacefully this morning at about quarter past two. The hospital rang Jen as 2am, and within half an hour the four of us arrived at Llandough, but he had died before we got there.

The shock at the speed of this illness and the plummet in health that Mike experienced in this past week has floored us all, but we are just so grateful that it was not a long, drawn-out affair resulting in discomfort and poor quality of life that could have been a scenario.

Yesterday, Saturday, will be a day we will always cherish. Sedated, Mike slept for most of the morning, but at one point in the afternoon he opened his eyes and summoned us round. We did so, pulling the curtains around us. He then proceeded to talk to us, slowly, but confidently, for about an hour. He was clear, lucid and authoritative, telling each of us individually how much we meant to him and setting out his wishes and plans for our futures. We in turn were able to tell him how much we appreciated him as a husband and father and to say thank you for all that he has done and represented for us. It was highly emotional, but one of the most special times we have spent as a family. To be all together, the five of us again, with Mike at the helm, was so precious and each of us have drawn such comfort from that memory.

We would like to thank you all for your love, concern, care and of course the many prayers that you have given us over the last 2 months. Whilst at the moment things are very raw for us, we confidently knew that Mike’s last laboured breath on earth this morning, was his first in Heaven with his beloved Jesus whom he had such a close walk with throughout his life. We are confident and comforted that he now has the new set of lungs that he always wanted.

Love,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: RIP MIKE RODERICK TO A DIEHARD CARDIFF CITY FAN

Mon May 09, 2016 5:50 am

By Dave Sugarman

I was greatly saddened this evening to learn of the death of my good friend Mike Roderick, who passed peacefully in the early hours of Sunday morning.

I first met Mike in 2005 when I arranged some tickets for him for a Cardiff City home game. We hit it off immediately, sat together at Ninian Park from that point onwards, got season ticket seats next to each other at the new stadium when the club moved to the CCS in 2009 and travelled to numerous away games together between 2005 and 2012. Like me, Mike was appalled by Vincent Tan's re-brand and boycotted the club throughout its 'red' period, although he did return to support the Bluebirds last year when their rightful colours were restored. Being a pair of opinionated gits, Mike and I didn't always see eye to eye on every issue, but we got along just fine all the same. These pictures are a small tribute to a good man who was always great company. Rest in peace, Mike. It's a genuine honour to have been able to count you as a friend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 09, 2016 5:54 am

I cant believe it,recently met mike,he had a spare slovakia ticket available,had a talk about the city,my thoughts are with the family,rip mike

Mon May 09, 2016 5:58 am

Incredibly sad. I did' know Mike but I would still like to pass my sincere condolences to his family and friends...

RIP, Mike Roderick :cry: :notworthy:

Mon May 09, 2016 7:23 am

I knew Mike well, and I'm devastated. I learned of the tragedy yesterday. We shared a passion for the City, golf and Jesus ( not in that order). Mike was a straight talker but someone who oozed compassion for others. You were a big influence for me and will be sorely missed.

Mon May 09, 2016 8:17 am

So sad to hear this news.

I first got to know Mike shortly after the rebrand became a reality. He invited me along to a KCB meeting that he'd organised in the Ninian pub and we hit it off straight away. Like me he was a boycotter for whom the rebrand meant much more than just a swap of colour and badge. He saw it as something deeply disrespectful to an important piece of long ingrained Cardiff culture. We were on the same page and kept in touch through regular phone calls over the intervening years.

A lovely warm character. Always opinionated and never afraid to speak up for what he believed in.

RIP Mike. You will be sadly missed mate.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 am

From Facebook

Rebecca Whittle‎ to Mike Roderick RIP

What a gorgeous, warm, inspirational, faithful, straight talking man. What a privilege to have known him. Mike Roderick, you have been present at various intervals of mine and Leon Whittles life and have always made it known the joy you had in watching people, including us grow in our walk with Christ. Whilst we know you are now truly living and are at home, we will miss you acutely. But we will praise the King of Kings through our tears, for He alone is worthy. See you later xxx

Mon May 09, 2016 9:30 am

My sincere condolences to Mikes family & friends.

I didn't know Mike well, I met him a few years ago at some CCST meetings. He came across as a very intelligent & thoughtful person, & very passionate about CCFC.

R.I.P.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:31 am

I didn't know him, but always sad to lose people.

RIP :bluebird:

Mon May 09, 2016 10:21 am

A real sad loss, Mike was very straight talking and a very passionate Cardiff City fan, a lovely man, may he rest in peace.

Mon May 09, 2016 10:38 am

Sad news r.i.p. Mike. :bluebird:

Mon May 09, 2016 11:07 am

This is a real shock. Mike used to post on this forum under the voice of reason username, I remember reading them only a couple of months ago. I know he did good work at the Supporters Trust.

RIP

Mon May 09, 2016 11:15 am

Condolences to all his family and friends.

R.I.P. Mike. Bluebird.

Mon May 09, 2016 12:20 pm

I never knew Mike personally but was aware of him. A lot of people often had nice things to say about him. Thoughts go out to his family at this difficult time.

Mon May 09, 2016 12:32 pm

I didn't know the man but by all accounts he's touched many a person, such a sad loss for his family and friends, looking at pictures, he looks like a truly wonderful man.

RIP Mike, condolonces to your friends and family.

Mon May 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Dear Jen, Elis, Ceri and Carys,

How shocked I am by this news. It has come to me like a bolt of lightening and left me saddened.

Mike was a good man, a man I had the privilege of meeting only a few times, but he has left a lasting impression with me of the love he had for his Lord and his single mindedness to serve Him with every fibre of his being.

The last time we met, a few short weeks ago before a City home game, we shared a precious time together. It was not for the amount of words we spoke, though words of faith were spoken, but rather the hug we had in the Lord. He, pleased about a good medical report and encouraged me; me so pleased to have met up however fleetingly.

At our brief encounter I spoke of a word the Lord gave me: 'From Distress to Delight,' from Ps 118:5. As asked, I had pleasure in sending that to Mike via email and I received a most generous response back.

Though full of faith for the future, how tragic the sudden events of this morning. For Mike, the distress his condition brought are now but a memory for us as he rests in the delightful presence of his Lord. We can, indeed all say, 'Hallelu Yah!'

Many years ago I heard a preacher who took as his sermon title: 'Though Dead still Speaks.' Though Mike's abode has changed his life we knew here on earth still speaks to us so eloquently of love for His Lord and family and friends.

As we parted company in Costa's last month we had made plans to meet up this summer. Now that meeting will have to be delayed until heaven. It was a real pleasure to have known Mike and that eternal meeting in heaven will be too. No more talking of Cardiff City there then, only worshipping the Lord.

My prayers are with you all,
Steve.
<><

Mon May 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Sad news.

Top guy and a true blue.

Mon May 09, 2016 3:00 pm

I was really shocked to hear this sad news about Mike. A lovely man. He and I have had several discussions about Cardiff City over the years - we didn`t always agree on issues , but he was a gentleman who would always listen to all opinions and was great company .

I last saw him not in a football context , but after a 6 nations rugby game in town on the train home to Barry and his last act with me was one of an unsolicited kindness involving Euro 2016 tickets for a relative of mine.

R.I.P Mike and condolences to all your family.

Keith

Mon May 09, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for all the messages, as his son it's been really touching to read other people's reaction to the awful news.

As a few of you have mentioned he was quite opinionated and that no doubt that resulted in some differences of opinions along the way! He absolutely loved the City though and we had some great times all over the country together, it was a shame how the last couple of years went with the heirarchy. It's also a shame he didn't make it to see Wales at the Euros, one of the only sporting events we had left to tick off the bucket list together but I'm sure he'll still be watching somehow!

Thanks all,

Elis Roderick

Mon May 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Just come home, logged in and saw this.
Very sad news about a lovely guy.
He was heavily involved in getting the Trust off the ground and a big part of the opposition to the rebrand, and despite our not agreeing over approach he was always polite and friendly.

In fact my last memories of him were him smiling and calling me a rude name whilst shaking my hand at the meeting overturning the rebrand which made me laugh and then when I collected Wales tickets off him which he organised for me just a few weeks ago.

He wasn't well then, but it was a shock to hear of his passing as he was planning his trip out there.

RIP Mike, a good man and true Bluebird. The world is a poorer place without you.

Mon May 09, 2016 5:17 pm

very sad news rip mike another bluebird taken away from us this year far to early

Mon May 09, 2016 5:27 pm

Sad news, RIP God bless

Mon May 09, 2016 5:53 pm

Very sad news indeed.

RIP Mike.

Wed May 25, 2016 5:23 pm

I went to Mike's funeral yesterday and it made me remember all the wonderful things about him. He was absolutely straight talking and I loved that about him. He would give you his opinion regardless of whether you wanted it or not! I know how generous he was with his time and how optimistic he was about being able to make a difference and I will miss him.

Wed May 25, 2016 5:26 pm

TCM wrote:I went to Mike's funeral yesterday and it made me remember all the wonderful things about him. He was absolutely straight talking and I loved that about him. He would give you his opinion regardless of whether you wanted it or not! I know how generous he was with his time and how optimistic he was about being able to make a difference and I will miss him.

Well Said Tracey and good on you :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

If I had been in Cardiff I would def have gone, a genuine straight talking person Mike was RIP :ayatollah:

Wed May 25, 2016 5:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
TCM wrote:I went to Mike's funeral yesterday and it made me remember all the wonderful things about him. He was absolutely straight talking and I loved that about him. He would give you his opinion regardless of whether you wanted it or not! I know how generous he was with his time and how optimistic he was about being able to make a difference and I will miss him.

If I had been in Cardiff I would def have gone, a genuine straight talking person Mike was RIP :ayatollah:

Thanks and I know you would have x

Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm

TCM wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Thanks and I know you would have x

:thumbright: :thumbright: xx

Wed May 25, 2016 7:20 pm

RIP Bluebird :ayatollah: :ayatollah: