Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" NEIL WARNOCK / CARDIFF CITY? "

Wed May 04, 2016 9:14 am

" NEIL WARNOCK / CARDIFF CITY ? "

Neil Warnock was asked last week if Cardiff City interested him, he said " Of course, I would not rule it out, they are a big club with plenty of potential and I've always had a soft spot for them"
"I will be managing in the Championship for a club next season,who knows which one? "

Warnock has just done a remarkable job for penniless Rotherham this season and against all odds kept them in the Championship.

Warnock had agreed to only take the Rotherham job till the end of the season.

Apparently, if you write one of these pieces about who might manage a Championship club next season, ancient by-laws dictate you must include Neil Warnock.

And why not? The old-campaigner has just about done it all and seen it when it comes to the English second-tier and is fresh from somehow masterminding the safety of Rotherham this term.

Warnock loves Cardiff, he sees the supporters as kindred spirits in a way. He knows his way up for sure, but one fatal problem remains.

Let me explain, Vincent Tan: ‘Neil, can our goalkeepers start shooting more?’ Warnock: ‘No.’ Next!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " NEIL WARNOCK / CARDIFF CITY? "

Wed May 04, 2016 9:19 am

Get him in now!

Wed May 04, 2016 9:23 am

Hmmmm, not sure if Warnock and Tan can work together but I'd love to see him at City.

Also love to see Bellamy as his assistant to eventually take over.

Wed May 04, 2016 9:30 am

Penyfai Blue wrote:Hmmmm, not sure if Warnock and Tan can work together but I'd love to see him at City.

I think Tan is far less 'hands on' than he may have been previously, although it is obvious he is kept in the loop (I would do the same in my business) and has the final say as he protects his own interests ;)

I think all Warnock would ask for would be for honesty and transparency with no team selection interference. Given that, I think Warnock could be good for both club and Vincent Tan

Warnock alongside Craig Bellamy could work, but my personal preference is for Craig to be given a chance in the hot seat (maybe alongside Dutch Ray) :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2016 9:37 am

Didn't realise Slade had already left..

Wed May 04, 2016 9:42 am

Sven wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:Hmmmm, not sure if Warnock and Tan can work together but I'd love to see him at City.

I think Tan is far less 'hands on' than he may have been previously, although it is obvious he is kept in the loop (I would do the same in my business) and has the final say as he protects his own interests ;)

I think all Warnock would ask for would be for honesty and transparency with no team selection interference. Given that, I think Warnock could be good for both club and Vincent Tan

Warnock alongside Craig Bellamy could work, but my personal preference is for Craig to be given a chance in the hot seat (maybe alongside Dutch Ray) :ayatollah:

Tan would also want honesty and transparency too and with Warnock being very well respected in the game, maybe it could work.

I'd take either combination; Warnock and Bellamy or Bellamy and Dutch Ray. Either way I hope Bellamy is here for many years and given time to build.

Wed May 04, 2016 10:07 am

Forever Blue wrote:" NEIL WARNOCK / CARDIFF CITY ? "

Neil Warnock was asked last week if Cardiff City interested him, he said " Of course, I would not rule it out, they are a big club with plenty of potential and I've always had a soft spot for them"
"I will be managing in the Championship for a club next season,who knows which one? "

Warnock has just done a remarkable job for penniless Rotherham this season and against all odds kept them in the Championship.

Apparently, if you write one of these pieces about who might manage a Championship club next season, ancient by-laws dictate you must include Neil Warnock.

And why not? The old-campaigner has just about done it all and seen it when it comes to the English second-tier and is fresh from somehow masterminding the safety of Rotherham this term.

Warnock loves Cardiff, he sees the supporters as kindred spirits in a way. He knows his way up for sure, but one fatal problem remains.

Let me explain, Vincent Tan: ‘Neil, can our goalkeepers start shooting more?’ Warnock: ‘No.’ Next!
go get him :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2016 10:32 am

Forever Blue wrote:" NEIL WARNOCK / CARDIFF CITY ? "

Hope he comes

Wed May 04, 2016 10:34 am

There is a saying which goes "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

The meaning is don't find fault with any gifts you receive. If Neil Warnock is remotely interested in managing Cardiff City then we should accept the gift and find ways of making it happen. :thumbup:

Wed May 04, 2016 10:40 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:There is a saying which goes "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

The meaning is don't find fault with any gifts you receive. If Neil Warnock is remotely interested in managing Cardiff City then we should accept the gift and find ways of making it happen. :thumbup:

Spot on, Tony :thumbup:

I'd love to se Bellamy involved though and (for the guy who questioned Slade's future above) all I can say is that we'll have to wait and see. If the fans have any influence (and it appears they are starting to) then Slade will leave with a fair amount of gratitude for stabilising a club we didn't realise was in such a mess at all levels at the start of this season. He'll certainly get another job off the back of his achievements :thumbright:

Thankfully, things appear to be slowly getting back on track and part of that process would be to install a new manager either of the quality of a Warnock or the dynamism of a Bellamy (coupled with the coaching skills of a Dutch Ray) :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2016 10:41 am

He is proven at this level. Not just getting out but making unfavoured teams stay in. I think it would be a good statement of intent if we were able to get someone like him in.

Slade has done a good job but for me I think he is lacking. When we played well it coincided with him effectively being forced to change formation to a more 433 (even though it was announced as 442). We had movement and attacking flare. We fitted players to a system that suited the ones we have. We didnt really need an out and out striker as the front 3 were capable of crafting more. As soon as noone was fit he dropped lawrence who seemed to be our only player capable of scaring defenders and taking them on!! We went right back to 442 and the rigidity and making the front 2 conform more to that role. That then sent performances back down again to what we had before the brighton game.

The players are in that squad to perform well with the right system but for me Slade has picked his system and is trying make the players fit it. He is a decent guy and working with tough conditions but Burnley and Leicester have shown you can get good results without a mahoosive budget. It is about finding the balance that the players can work with. 442 can be excellent. It worked for Leicester ... but the players there suit it. Ours dont. That doesnt make them bad. It just means we need to play a different way. That has happened rarely this year.

Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 am

If Rotherham can afford him, surely we can. I know we are supposed to be cutting our wage bill, but surely if someone like Warnock is available we should be showing interest.

Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 am

I'd prefer him to Slade but would still prefer Justin Edinburgh personally.

Wed May 04, 2016 10:48 am

Get him in city,show some ambition :ayatollah:

Wed May 04, 2016 11:15 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:There is a saying which goes "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

100% AGREE WITH YOU MATE :sladeout:

Wed May 04, 2016 11:19 am

Is he not still manager at Rotherham!??

Wed May 04, 2016 11:23 am

Plus a huge incentive for Warnock would be that we are one of the nearest clubs to his beloved home in Cornwall. He is currently travelling from Cornwall to Rotheram several times a week and he said on Talksport that the travelling is wearing him out.

Go get him Tan :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout:

Wed May 04, 2016 11:37 am

LETS FACE IT GUYS I WOULD PREFER NODDY OR BIG EARS TO SLADE !! :bluebird:

Wed May 04, 2016 11:37 am

Normally I would say no but right now it seems like a great idea compared to Slade.

Would Warnocks Wages be huge? I wouldn’t have thought so, he seems the type of manager who would come in and be happy with a solid wage and good promotion bonus.
We know he can wheel and deal in the transfer market. It’s a shame he didn’t come straight in after Ole as no doubt he would have got the best out of some of those foreigners.

He has done brilliantly with Rotherham.

It all depends on the plans, if we are going to spend and go for it again which I doubt then I would say no.
If we are going to continue as previously then I have no doubts Warnock would get more from this bunch of players than Slade could.

Wed May 04, 2016 12:07 pm

where was he asked this.. is there a link?

Wed May 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Sadly I'd love Warnock but I think we'll have Slade for some time to come. He's cheap, doesn't create waves and is basically Tan's lacky from what I've seen. Tan isn't going to want someone who will challenge the norm.

So I see another season of dross football with Slade staggering from one win to another loss to another draw and calling it progress.

:sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout:

Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 pm

I would love him here. He has said a few times of his affection for city too.

Wed May 04, 2016 12:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that Warnock would put the passion and belief back into the fans & players of our underperforming club!!!

Wed May 04, 2016 1:05 pm

Sod the wages, just get him. No disrespect to Rotherham, but He made a silk purse out of a sow's ear this season.

Imagine what he could do with better players.

Wed May 04, 2016 1:25 pm

It's a good fit, Warnock is the type of manager the fans like. Fans need a strong leader to believe in. On a championship budget, Warnock is right up there as the best.

Wed May 04, 2016 1:48 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Didn't realise Slade had already left..

Durr he hasn't but the vast majority of fans want to see the end of his negative team selections, tactics and post match drivel hence the question ...

Wed May 04, 2016 2:08 pm

nubbsy wrote:Is he not still manager at Rotherham!??

only until end of the season

Wed May 04, 2016 5:31 pm

If we were so lucky to have him I would say got a very good chance of promotion with squad we got plus couple strikers!

Wed May 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Bring him in. Experienced, rhe right sort of character (bit mad) and has a soft spot for the club. If be is seriously interested would be great for city and sure he would love one last crack at getting team up. U would take him at å heartbeat.

Wed May 04, 2016 7:22 pm

I would have him over Baldy any day of the week. And he would stand up to Tan and that's why I can't see it happening :cry: