Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Slade and strikers

Sun May 01, 2016 11:16 am

I keep reading how Slade hasn't had any strikers, made me think has he actually got much out of any of them? Admittedly not all his signing however that doesn't mean he shouldn't be getting more from them.

Saadi
Doyle
Revel
Zohore
Watt
Lawrence
Guerra
Velikonja
Macheda
Maynard
Jones
Le Fondre
Mason
Healy
Ameobi (is he a striker? What is he? Lol)

And the most he has got out of upfront is Pilington and probably Watt for a short time.

Question is if Slade was given funds for a striker would he spend it well?

Re: Slade and strikers

Sun May 01, 2016 11:19 am

Lets be honest most of those strikers didn't perform or didn't want to be at the club Le Fondre and Guerra and Tan wanted some to be shifted out.

Sun May 01, 2016 11:22 am

Rydogsccfc wrote:Lets be honest most of those strikers didn't perform or didn't want to be at the club Le Fondre and Guerra and Tan wanted some to be shifted out.

We know they didn't perform but why?
Maybe if they were treated better they may have wanted to be at the club, I've seen Annis say Guerra kepy asking for a chance and Let Fondre played nearly every game for Slade for a long time until quickly being dropped and loaned out, I wouldn't say he played like he wanted out either, always worked hard

So you would trust Slade with money to bring in a striker? (And hopefully play him and not send him out on loan)

Sun May 01, 2016 11:24 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:Lets be honest most of those strikers didn't perform or didn't want to be at the club Le Fondre and Guerra and Tan wanted some to be shifted out.

We know they didn't perform but why?
Maybe if they were treated better they may have wanted to be at the club, I've seen Annis say Guerra kepy asking for a chance and Let Fondre played nearly every game for Slade for a long time until quickly being dropped and loaned out, I wouldn't say he played like he wanted out either, always worked hard

So you would trust Slade with money to bring in a striker? (And hopefully play him and not send him out on loan)

Guerra apparently was of the "bad eggs" who didn't to play for us and Le Fondre was given a chance but he has proved to be a flop.

Sun May 01, 2016 11:27 am

Ok you trust Slade with the money then, I don't.

I'm not saying he would get the best out of all of them but maybe a couple would have given some light at the end of the tunnel.

Mason who he rated, worth 3m apprently and did nothing with him.
Jones should have been tearing up this league.
Them it's the strikers Slade signed himself

Sun May 01, 2016 11:28 am

2blue2handle wrote:Ok you trust Slade with the money then, I don't.

I'm not saying he would get the best out of all of them but maybe a couple would have given some light at the end of the tunnel.

Malky signed Mason and Ole signed Jones they are not Slades signings.

Sun May 01, 2016 11:34 am

Rydogsccfc wrote:

So, does that mean he can't get the best from them? Most the team are ahead of his own signings who he generally doesn't play.

Sun May 01, 2016 11:43 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:

So, does that mean he can't get the best from them? Most the team are ahead of his own signings who he generally doesn't play.

They just weren't good enough I don't think it was about getting the best out of them Jones is a lazy player and Mason is a lower championship top league 1 striker.

Sun May 01, 2016 11:44 am

Rydogsccfc wrote:

Revell, Doyle, Saadi, Watt, Zahore and Ameobi(if you count him as a striker seriously what position is he :? ) they all worked out well didn't they

Sun May 01, 2016 11:51 am

darran1927 wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:

Revell, Doyle, Saadi, Watt, Zahore and Ameobi(if you count him as a striker seriously what position is he :? ) they all worked out well didn't they

Revell didn't work yes, Doyle same, Saadi been injured, Watt I thought did okay shame we got embargo, Zohore looks a good player I expect him to be one of our main strikers next season and Ameobi less said the better. :ayatollah:

Sun May 01, 2016 11:53 am

trouble is slade doesnt play tactics to suite any striker, he plays not to lose! so unless he changes his own phylosophy he will never get best out of any striker? ffs even messi would struggle under slade!! :old:

Sun May 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Poor man management and tactics, Lumping the ball forward to Le Fondre like he's Andre the giant didn't help Le Fondre in the slightest.

Sun May 01, 2016 12:41 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I keep reading how Slade hasn't had any strikers, made me think has he actually got much out of any of them? Admittedly not all his signing however that doesn't mean he shouldn't be getting more from them.

Saadi
Doyle
Revel
Zohore
Watt
Lawrence
Guerra
Velikonja
Macheda
Maynard
Jones
Le Fondre
Mason
Healy
Ameobi (is he a striker? What is he? Lol)

And the most he has got out of upfront is Pilington and probably Watt for a short time.

Question is if Slade was given funds for a striker would he spend it well?

Saadi - Not been fit.
Doyle - The only senior player who we put out on loan this season, who wasn't given a chance with us.
Revell - brought in on a budget and although he worked hard, he was toothless.
Zohore - Been injured until recently and too early to judge whether he's going to be a success.
Watt - Looked a decent acquisition until the embarge kicked in.
Lawrence - Started off very promisingly, but faded badly in recent weeks and against Bolton last week, it looked like he didn't give a shit!

Guerra - Doesn't look like Slade had any say in whether he had any future with us or not.
Velikonja - Same as Guerra.
Macheda - Lazy and overhyped striker.
Maynard - Started off well for us under Malky, but got injured and didn't look like the same player upon his return. His high wages was probably a strong factor in him having to be shipped out earlier this season as well.
Kennwyne Jones - Slow and overpaid player, who had to go.
Le Fondre - May well have been a decent striker in the not too distant past, but was really poor for us, didn't work hard enough, was always offside and I can't stand divers!

Mason - Honest, worked hard enough, but was slow and like Le Fondre, had forgotten the offside laws. The club did superb to get around £3 million pounds more than he was worth out of Wolves!

Healy - Difficult to assess this young player, as for the majority of the earlier part of the season, Slade had far too many senior "strikers" at his disposal, who were further up the pecking order to him. By the time Slade realised that many, if not all of these senior strikers weren't cutting the mustard, we'd put Pilkington up top, brought in Immers and this appeared to work wonders, keeping us in the Play Off picture, for far longer than the majority of our supporters would have expected us to. This made it far more difficult to give Healy a chance IMO, as if he'd failed, Slade would have been slated for playing an untested (apart from a few measly minutes against Chelsea 2 years ago) and unproven striker.

Ameobi (is he a striker? What is he? Lol) - Don't think I need to comment on how disappointing this player has been for us!

In short, the majority of the strikers at Slade's disposal have let him, the club and our supporters down. These include KJ, Mason, Macheda & Le Fondre, the latter 2 having been afforded umpteen chances to establish themselves in our team and also failed at the clubs they were subsequently sent out on loan to. Others like Saadi and Zohore, appear to have been brought in without Slade having a say in the matter and some like Velikonja and Guerra, don't even appear to have been available to Slade for selection.

The 2 players it appears he definitely wanted like Revell & Doyle, were brought in on a shoestring budget compared to our 2 previous managers and unfortunately didn't work out. Revell because he wasn't good enough and Doyle will have to remain a mystery, as having finished last season on a high, it appears that he was discarded for this season, for a reason known only to Slade and or, his coaching staff!