Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh Language

Sun May 01, 2016 8:33 am

What's your thoughts on the enormous amount of money spent promoting and attempting to expand Welsh Speaking n the Principality. Obviously being a Sweaty I have no emotional attachment to it and believe the £millions could be better spent elsewhere but what's the boards thoughts.

Re: Welsh Language

Sun May 01, 2016 8:37 am

It's our language of course we need to keep it alive and keep our traditions burning strong.

I thought jocks were spose to be passionate types aswell you of all people should understand that

Sun May 01, 2016 8:55 am

im all for learning the welsh language, for people who want too,,they can do it at their own cost, not the tax payers..money could be diverted to somewhere that needs it

Sun May 01, 2016 9:18 am

nubbsy wrote:It's our language of course we need to keep it alive and keep our traditions burning strong.

I thought jocks were spose to be passionate types aswell you of all people should understand that

Is it yours though, up until the 11/12 century the language you call Welsh was spoken widely throughout Britian, including Scotland.

Sun May 01, 2016 12:57 pm

The old sweaty socks

Sun May 01, 2016 5:56 pm

Keep the language alive at all costs. Only my opinion of course

Sun May 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Jock wrote:What's your thoughts on the enormous amount of money spent promoting and attempting to expand Welsh Speaking n the Principality. Obviously being a Sweaty I have no emotional attachment to it and believe the £millions could be better spent elsewhere but what's the boards thoughts.

This must be some sort of wind-up. Looks like that sort of post.

FYI, Wales is not a principality.

Anyway, you're Scottish, so who the f**k are you to say that it 'could be better spent elsewhere'?!

Cer i grafu.

Sun May 01, 2016 6:01 pm

stephendavid wrote:The old sweaty socks

Probably jealous because Scottish Gaelic hasn't really endured to the same extent Welsh has.

Sun May 01, 2016 6:06 pm

Jock wrote:
nubbsy wrote:It's our language of course we need to keep it alive and keep our traditions burning strong.

Is it yours though, up until the 11/12 century the language you call Welsh was spoken widely throughout Britian, including Scotland.

Yes, it is, because the ancient Brythonic peoples used to hold territory which included most of Britain, including a large part of Scotland.

Sun May 01, 2016 6:07 pm

litoblues wrote:im all for learning the welsh language, for people who want too,,they can do it at their own cost, not the tax payers..money could be diverted to somewhere that needs it

I'd be inclined to argue that governmental expenditure on Welsh should be the least that should be done after Westminster tried to wipe it off the face of the earth!

Sun May 01, 2016 6:12 pm

I am assuming that this is a wind up. Surely our Scottish friends would not dream of commenting so negatively. Especially as it is a matter
1/which is close to the hearts of many Welshmen
AND
2/which has sod all all to do with them.

Sun May 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Irrespective of place of birth, I'm a tax payer in Wales so I've every right to comment on it. As for comparisons to Gaelic WTF has it got to do with a Glaswegian, it's a Highland Language. I've no wish to see Welsh die and I don think it ever will but I think too much money is being thrown at it.

Sun May 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Jock wrote:Irrespective of place of birth, I'm a tax payer in Wales so I've every right to comment on it. As for comparisons to Gaelic WTF has it got to do with a Glaswegian, it's a Highland Language. I've no wish to see Welsh die and I don think it ever will but I think too much money is being thrown at it.

So what if you're a taxpayer here? You're still not Welsh, so your views have as much credibility in this matter as any other English person who moves here and then has the f*cking gall to criticise how much is spent on Cymraeg!

Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 pm

Da iawn Cwmann ......
If I moved to live in Scotland I would try to be part of the community and be understanding of different views and cultures.
Mr Jocks last post seemed almost "reasonable". I.e. I am a level headed non boggotted person who lives in Wales and has no desire to see the language die.....blah blah blah... If that were so, then we could have a sensible discussion.
BUT just out of interest I looked on the UKIP THREAD. (I have avoided that thread previously as I would never dream of voting for a far right rabble of little Englanders). Neither by the way am I a member of Plaid Cymru.
What a shock "Mr Reasonable" Jock comments
/quote]
People with the most education ??? What a degree in contemporary dance or Welsh love spoon studies. You talk about Xenophobia while supporting a bunch of myopic, blinkered, insular, divisive wankers who blame England for all Wales problems.[/quote]
So this is the person who has nothing against the the Welsh and the Welsh culture. I would only expect an ignorent interfering comment from such a person. At least be honest!
I have more respect for honest contributers rather than those who clothe themselves in reasonableness to hide evil views. "The enemy I see wears a cloak of decency!"
Dont think I will comment further on this post - I will stick to the CCFC ones for a while. :bluebird:

Mon May 02, 2016 7:54 am

Lengee wrote:I am assuming that this is a wind up. Surely our Scottish friends would not dream of commenting so negatively. Especially as it is a matter
1/which is close to the hearts of many Welshmen
AND
2/which has sod all all to do with them.

The heart of of many welshmen ,you're having a laugh with only 11% of the population are fluent and the rate has fallen over the past few years,Laziness and apathy is costing the language

Mon May 02, 2016 8:28 am

I am a Welshman and I disagree with amount of money being spent on the Welsh Language.

If Plaid ever get to power we are doomed. Looney Lefties, don't want to be part of the U.K. But do want to be part of Europe with decisions being made by EU Looney Lefties in Brussels.

Mon May 02, 2016 9:56 am

I'm welsh, and dont want any money spent on promoting the welsh language at all.

Its bad enough their slipping it in to english language programmes on BBC Wales - FFS.

Plaid/Carwyn cant explain why Wales needs to scrounge £14BN off Westminster every year - and then still blame everything on the English.

Mon May 02, 2016 10:10 am

Magners wrote:I am a Welshman and I disagree with amount of money being spent on the Welsh Language.

If Plaid ever get to power we are doomed. Looney Lefties, don't want to be part of the U.K. But do want to be part of Europe with decisions being made by EU Looney Lefties in Brussels.

With all due respect if you think the EU is left wing then you are the biggest looney here. It's very right wing and works for the big corporations and bloated bureaucrats. Which makes it even more unbelievable that Corbyn and Plaid are supporting it so much, it goes completely against their "principles".

As for Welsh language, don't care. Don't speak it, don't want to speak it. I know one fluent welsh speaker and he only speaks welsh to his old girl, they can teach it in schools all they like but it's not a living language that is heard much in the streets. More Arabic spoken in Cardiff. I don't want it to die, it's important to people in this country and rightly so but it's never been a big part of my life.

Mon May 02, 2016 10:20 am

I'd rather the money was spent on health and education.
Saving lives rather than trying to influence how we live.

Like all 'culture' spending money on it will only drag it out, if people want it they will keep it alive.

Same goes for art, opera , theatre, etc...

I might feel different if any of my family spoke it I guess, but I am still a proud Welshman without a love of the language.

Mon May 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Yes keep the language going. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon May 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Magners wrote:I am a Welshman and I disagree with amount of money being spent on the Welsh Language.

Do you actually know exactly how much is spent by the Welsh Government on Welsh? You don't, do you? You just come out with inane and nonsense statements which bear no resemblance to reality!

Mon May 02, 2016 5:25 pm

rumpo kid wrote:I'm welsh, and dont want any money spent on promoting the welsh language at all.

Its bad enough their slipping it in to english language programmes on BBC Wales - FFS.

Plaid/Carwyn cant explain why Wales needs to scrounge £14BN off Westminster every year - and then still blame everything on the English.

Well, sadly for people like you, money is spent on Welsh, and quite rightly too.

BBC Cymru Wales slipping Welsh into their English programmes? Oh dear, how awful. We live in a country with two official languages, get over it!

Mon May 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:

With all due respect if you think the EU is left wing then you are the biggest looney here. It's very right wing and works for the big corporations and bloated bureaucrats. Which makes it even more unbelievable that Corbyn and Plaid are supporting it so much, it goes completely against their "principles".

As for Welsh language, don't care. Don't speak it, don't want to speak it. I know one fluent welsh speaker and he only speaks welsh to his old girl, they can teach it in schools all they like but it's not a living language that is heard much in the streets. More Arabic spoken in Cardiff. I don't want it to die, it's important to people in this country and rightly so but it's never been a big part of my life.

You do know that Cardiff and Wales aren't the same thing? Anyway, I'm sure you'd be able to go to places in Cardiff and hear Welsh spoken in the streets. I hear it when I go into town often enough.

Mon May 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Lawnmower wrote:I'd rather the money was spent on health and education.
Saving lives rather than trying to influence how we live.

Like all 'culture' spending money on it will only drag it out, if people want it they will keep it alive.

Same goes for art, opera , theatre, etc...

I might feel different if any of my family spoke it I guess, but I am still a proud Welshman without a love of the language.

You do know that the money that is spent on Welsh by the Welsh Government is nowhere near the amount that is spent on those two areas?! Health spending accounts for nearly half the budget of the Welsh Government, whilst spending on Welsh is a small amount in comparison.

I must disagree with your point about the language being artificially kept alive. It needs money spent on it because the government in Westminster tried for centuries to stamp it out. The amount of money that is currently being spent on trying to save the Welsh language pales in comparison with the amount wasted on trying to get rid of it. The English language has been promoted relentlessly in Wales for many centuries, even when people who spoke the language were in a tiny minority in the country. Welsh has been actively suppressed over the years (see the ‘Welsh not’), but no longer.

Mon May 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Bluebird since 1948 wrote:

You do know that Cardiff and Wales aren't the same thing? Anyway, I'm sure you'd be able to go to places in Cardiff and hear Welsh spoken in the streets. I hear it when I go into town often enough.

Stop with the patronising bullshit you condescending toad. I am fully aware that Cardiff and Wales aren't the same thing it is my observation that I hear Arabic spoken around around Cardiff more than Welsh. I rarely hear people speak Welsh. Doesn't mean it's not spoken by people but I can't see it catching on to ever become the number one go to language of choice in Wales.

Tue May 03, 2016 10:20 am

We waste way to much money on a language the vast majority of the population doesn't speaks and most basically don't care enough about in modern Wales. We are a Principality to our big brother over the boarder, we couldn't survive as a country any other way :bluebird:

Tue May 03, 2016 10:42 am

I hear Welsh being spoken more and more when I'm working around South Wales. I think it's great, long may it continue.

Tue May 03, 2016 11:41 am

Shocked at how many people couldn't care less about their own welsh culture. I don't speak welsh but fully support our government keeping it in schools etc.

Tue May 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Should be banished to the history books.

Waste of money and serves no purpose. Go to North Wales and they don't speak it that much up there either. Signs in English

I am proud welsh man but don't believe the Welsh language helps us at all.

They are desperate for it to be forced down my throat though even though it's a tiny percentage who speak it and even less in South Wales.

There will never come a time where the Welsh news is only in Welsh. Concentrate on jobs for all. Plaid Cymru are a waste of time as well f*cking hopeless

Tue May 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Lawnmower wrote:I must disagree with your point about the language being artificially kept alive. It needs money spent on it because the government in Westminster tried for centuries to stamp it out.

This statement is actually historical fact.It can be well argued that all the current powers that be are just trying to repair the historical damage done by the english.And this comes from someone that doesn't speak the language or ever will.

Its actually amazing looking through this thread that some of the posters couldn't give a shite about our history and culture yet were bleating like babies when Tan tried to change the culture of a football club.

Same horse different jockey boys and girls.