Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" JUST LOOK AT THIS AND BE HONEST "

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:57 pm

We're We Cardiff City really in with a chance of promotion ?
We're we kidding ourselves ?
Just look at the points difference and goal difference

League tables do not lie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " JUST LOOK AT THIS AND BE HONEST "

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:01 pm

We had PLENTY of chances to get in the top 6. We got rid of strikers at the run in.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:08 pm

No,

I have seen nothing apart from Hull that looked better than us

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Our first home game of the season if I remember correctly was Fulham at home who we sneaked a last minute equaliser against. I do remember walking from that game thinking we got lucky there as they were better than us and will be one of the better teams in the league.

They've just finished 4th bottom - we also got completely out played at home by a truly dreadful Bristol City team

To state the bleedin obvious the top 6 are much better than anything else in the league.

If it wasn't for a pretty strong centre half pairing and the best keeper in the league - we are no better than Fulham upwards.

With Slade in charge I am very worried about next season

We are at the top of the 'also rans' due to other teams ineptitude rather than our own endeavours

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:10 pm

oxfordblue wrote:No,

Sheffield wednesday ;)

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:14 pm

erinsown wrote:
oxfordblue wrote:No,

Sheffield wednesday ;)

2nd best team I have seen and they certainly could go up

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:15 pm

You always hope but with Slade in charge we never really had a chance.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:17 pm

2blue2handle wrote:You always hope but with Slade in charge we never really had a chance.

From day one , 700 games no promotions says it all

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:38 pm

We have lost more points due to our managers tactical changes in-game than we have won. Absolute fact, and just another damning statement about Slade's management of our team.

Couldn't give a shit about the players he had taken off him, as that happens to most managers these days - Slade is hardly the only one to suffer due to this. Fact is, the club DID bring in strikers to replace Jones and Mason, Slade just chose not to use them. He also chose not to use any of the strikers from our development squad. So lack of fire power is down to Slade and no one else, for me.

Fact is, had we had a more competent manager in charge, we would not have dropped the points which cost us Top 6, and would've in fact likely been sitting 3rd/4th after hopefully gaining points against poor teams that Slade set us up to draw 0-0 against (often at home too!).

Look at his comments today - he's once again said we weren't good enough going forward and didn't create enough chances. Slade, in your 700+ games as a manager or whatever number you keep throwing out there, surely you have learnt that the way you have Cardiff City does not ALLOW them to create f*cking chances? I swear, he's either an absolute idiot with no clue, or he's having a bloody laugh at our expense.

Listen, we blew it this year. Were we the 7th best team in the league? No, but somehow we gathered enough points to get there and probably should've actually got more. This league is going to be a lot harder next year, as all signs point to some really big clubs coming down, and you have to assume that Ipswich, Birmingham, Wolves etc will put a better fight up. As such, unless we show real ambition, we won't get near the top six.

We will lose some quality players this summer, and I'm not convinced we'll replace them with similar quality. If that's the case, I'll happily accept lowering my ambitions for the next year or two IF we have a manager who will invest the money in good young talent, and give the guys in our DVP squad an actual shot. If we aren't going to spend the money to make top six, then let's make a real go of putting together the foundations of a team that can dominate this league in three years or so.

Slade has to go, he really really does.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:42 pm

KWest wrote:We have lost more points due to our managers tactical changes in-game than we have won. Absolute fact, and just another damning statement about Slade's management of our team.

Couldn't give a shit about the players he had taken off him, as that happens to most managers these days - Slade is hardly the only one to suffer due to this. Fact is, the club DID bring in strikers to replace Jones and Mason, Slade just chose not to use them. He also chose not to use any of the strikers from our development squad. So lack of fire power is down to Slade and no one else, for me.

Fact is, had we had a more competent manager in charge, we would not have dropped the points which cost us Top 6, and would've in fact likely been sitting 3rd/4th after hopefully gaining points against poor teams that Slade set us up to draw 0-0 against (often at home too!).

Look at his comments today - he's once again said we weren't good enough going forward and didn't create enough chances. Slade, in your 700+ games as a manager or whatever number you keep throwing out there, surely you have learnt that the way you have Cardiff City does not ALLOW them to create f*cking chances? I swear, he's either an absolute idiot with no clue, or he's having a bloody laugh at our expense.

Listen, we blew it this year. Were we the 7th best team in the league? No, but somehow we gathered enough points to get there and probably should've actually got more. This league is going to be a lot harder next year, as all signs point to some really big clubs coming down, and you have to assume that Ipswich, Birmingham, Wolves etc will put a better fight up. As such, unless we show real ambition, we won't get near the top six.

We will lose some quality players this summer, and I'm not convinced we'll replace them with similar quality. If that's the case, I'll happily accept lowering my ambitions for the next year or two IF we have a manager who will invest the money in good young talent, and give the guys in our DVP squad an actual shot. If we aren't going to spend the money to make top six, then let's make a real go of putting together the foundations of a team that can dominate this league in three years or so.

Slade has to go, he really really does.

Agreed

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:07 pm

We have done well to finish 7th, same need a reality check. When OGS left we were a shambles. Just look where Bolton are, so easily could have been us. Course fans want to win all the time, am afraid that's not life. You take the rough smooth and average! It's easy to sit and criticise, our club on and off the pitch is in a better state than it was before Slade come in. We wish him well, and move on to the next chapter.

I am gutted we didn't have a go at it today, but optimistic for the future with some great kids coming through. :thumbup:

Sun May 01, 2016 10:00 am

erinsown wrote:We had PLENTY of chances to get in the top 6. We got rid of strikers at the run in.

None of the "strikers" we had have performed well for us at any stage this season and when we put them out on loan, they haven't performed for their new clubs either!

The only "Striker" who wasn't given a chance at Cardiff is Doyle, but he hasn't been pulling up trees at Preston either!

Sun May 01, 2016 11:13 am

Stringfellow wrote:We have done well to finish 7th, same need a reality check. When OGS left we were a shambles. Just look where Bolton are, so easily could have been us. Course fans want to win all the time, am afraid that's not life. You take the rough smooth and average! It's easy to sit and criticise, our club on and off the pitch is in a better state than it was before Slade come in. We wish him well, and move on to the next chapter.

I am gutted we didn't have a go at it today, but optimistic for the future with some great kids coming through. :thumbup:

To answer the OP question then answer is probably no we never really had a realistic chance of a play-off place.

But dig deeper and a reality check is required. We are a club in transition and if that means finishing 7th then we should be grateful. Fulham and Bolton are teams who are going through a similar transition and they would bite our arms off for a top seven finish.

So the above post is correct in stating we have to look at the bigger picture.

As for next season then it is more of the same. The cost cutting will continue because of FFP and VT effectively putting £8m into the club by writing down debt.

For better for worse RS has proved he can operate in this kind of environment.

Sun May 01, 2016 11:21 am

2blue2handle wrote:You always hope but with Slade in charge we never really had a chance.

This :ayatollah:

Sun May 01, 2016 11:32 am

I don't care about promotion, I care that we tried to win a game! I would give Trollope
.a chance, get our youngsters in, enjoy seeing them go for it in the tackles, unlike Malone. Give CCFC BACK ITS PRIDE!!

Sun May 01, 2016 2:14 pm

With the squad we had at the start if the season we should have achieved top 2 at least. All down to spades failings. 90%!of us here would have been able to get us min top 6.
No excuses for spade massively unavheived with the squad at his disposal.

Sun May 01, 2016 2:23 pm

:sladeout: :sladeout:

Sun May 01, 2016 3:08 pm

Of course we were in with a chance! Just look at the points we dropped where, realistically, we should have won...charlton away, MK Dons home and away, too a degree Brentford away more recently! We definitely had a chance, just slipped up a few too many times

Sun May 01, 2016 3:36 pm

We were until yesterday in with a chance of reaching the playoffs but in reality given our lack of a striker promotion via the playoffs was a pipe dream. The League table doesn't lie and the best 6 teams in the league are where they fully deserve to be but, despite selling or loaning out our 2 first choice strikers in January, we are currently the BEST of the rest in the Championship.

RS deserves a great deal of credit for this and with the austerity likely to continue until at least the end of next season, when over a dozen of our current squad are out of contract, then RS, in my opinion, having proved he can operate at Championship level despite cost cutting being forced upon him and he represents a safe pair of hands going forward.

It is likely to be 2 or 3 years before we can hope to mount a serious promotion push but at least the club is putting us in a position where we will not fall foul of FFP regulations. Right now there are 3 clubs in the top 6 who have spent heavily on a promotion push and are likely facing transfer embargo's going forward.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun May 01, 2016 4:07 pm

Half decent manager would have walked top 2 with our squad.

Sun May 01, 2016 6:28 pm

Stringfellow wrote:We have done well to finish 7th, same need a reality check. When OGS left we were a shambles. Just look where Bolton are, so easily could have been us. Course fans want to win all the time, am afraid that's not life. You take the rough smooth and average! It's easy to sit and criticise, our club on and off the pitch is in a better state than it was before Slade come in. We wish him well, and move on to the next chapter.

You are right about the youngsters and of course it's by no means certain that some or all of them will make it.

What is certain though is that unless they are given a chance to show what they can do we'll never know.

With Slade in charge they'll have no opportunities at all.