Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" MANY DISAGREE/BUT MY HONEST OPINION "

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Is that Russell Slade should be given a new 12-month contract.

We missed out on the top six and, going by reports, we didn't play well today.

But I didn't expect us to even be competing for the play-offs at the start of the season. I didn't think our team or our manager, as I was against Slade at the time, were good enough.

Slade has proved me wrong there.

He has done a very good job in difficult circumstances, and my opinion is he deserves another season.

If we can bring in a good Championship striker as well as a few other additions, while keeping our key players, then we will have a much better chance of making the top six next season.

I know many will disagree, and that's fair enough. But I am still very much "Slade in".

Re: " MANY DISAGREE/BUT MY HONEST OPINION "

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:23 pm

I agree Slade is doing a good job there's too many fans with unrealistic expectations. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:26 pm

Everybody has their opinion which I respect

I disagree , I want a change but thats my opinion

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:29 pm

Slade has done an ok job for me. Sometimes big tough decisions are needed in any business. Time for me to say thanks Mr slade and good luck.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:31 pm

Give the young players like Declan John a chance

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:34 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Is that Russell Slade should be given a new 12-month contract.

But I didn't expect us to even be competing for the play-offs at the start of the season. I didn't think our team or our manager, as I was against Slade at the time, were good enough.

He has done a very good job in difficult circumstances, and my opinion is he deserves another season.

If we can bring in a good Championship striker as well as a few other additions, while keeping our key players, then we will have a much better chance of making the top six next season.

I know many will disagree, and that's fair enough. But I am still very much "Slade in".

Yes your right many will disagree with your opinion because it wrong...no way does he deserve a new contract.

If he is given a new contract he's got no chance because 70% of the fans don't want him there and he will crumble under the pressure

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:35 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Is that Russell Slade should be given a new 12-month contract.

Your right I totally disagree with you, what justification is there in giving Slade, who has won absolutely nothing in his managerial career and let's not forget he has a had nearly 2 years to prove himself to the fans and has failed to do so why would you want to give him another contact

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:36 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

Yes your right many will disagree with your opinion because it wrong...no way does he deserve a new contract.

If he is given a new contract he's got no chance because 70% of the fans don't want him there and he will crumble under the pressure

Says a lot about some people when they say an opinion is "wrong".

All I'll say to that is buy a dictionary and look up opinion.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Had low expectations because of Slade, no doubt this squad is still on big wages and the fees we have paid on Slade's signings in Malone, Doyle and Revell have been very poor.

I have no faith in him at all

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:42 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Had low expectations because of Slade, no doubt this squad is still on big wages and the fees we have paid on Slade's signings in Malone, Doyle and Revell have been very poor.

You expected us to be relegated under him so he has prove you wrong on that front so at least give him some credit.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:52 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Had low expectations because of Slade, no doubt this squad is still on big wages and the fees we have paid on Slade's signings in Malone, Doyle and Revell have been very poor.

You expected us to be relegated under him so he has prove you wrong on that front so at least give him some credit.

Yes he is better than I thought but that shows how low my expectations were. He is still way off being a good manager. I see nothing in him to suggest he will ever get a club promoted.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:22 pm

You didn't expect us to do well but the club did. The stated goal was top six at least and i doubt we have been that for three out of the 40 or so weeks. Part of our underwhelmed opinion of the upcoming season was the fact we had a shit manager, so that tempered any enthusiasm for the season, so its a bit of a circular reference. The bookies had us about right.

In Marshall, Morrison, Connolly, Manga, Fabio, Whitts, Dikachoi, Noone, Pilkington and now Ralls we have top 8 championship standard players and to start the season we also had Kenwynne Jones and Joe Mason.

He is an old school, dependable character who is not suited meeting the better tacticians he meets in the championship.

I hope its announced before Saturday. I wouldn't want any nasty chants or the board misrepresent any appreciation of Russ with us wanting him kept on.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Respect what your saying and you have some valid points but for me, done a good job we thank him, ship steadied, youngsters coming through and we move forward with a new boss. What I will say, is for people who think a new man is going to just walk in and start blowing sides away your deluded. In the grand scheme of things we have done well as has Slade. :bluebird:

Sun May 01, 2016 7:20 am

It's a really difficult one. There have been times when Slade has done a brilliant job and there have been times when he has been woeful.

My biggest bugbear is that he fails to change things quickly enough when things go wrong and he makes the changes that everybody else can see should have been done 2 games previously. Other things that baffle me are his substitutes. Some games he has 4 attackers, a midfielder and a defender on the bench. Then in the next game there's one forward on the bench. His failure to give youth a chance is also frustrating. The likes of O'Sullivan, John and Harris need a chance particularly when you see the likes of Dikagoi and Malone in the squad.

He has done a great job in terms of cutting costs and reducing squad numbers however with few exceptions his signings have been awful.

Personally I'd like to see someone different in charge but if he does stay he needs the backing of Tan and all us fans.

Sun May 01, 2016 8:18 am

I think you're right, but you won't get may supporters with that point of view on here. In the real world away from this board, I think the majority of supporters feel Slade deserves another chance.

Sun May 01, 2016 8:30 am

oxfordblue wrote:Give the young players like Declan John a chance

He hasn't got the balls he proved this in the cup when he played tamas instead of a youth player

Sun May 01, 2016 8:49 am

Rydogsccfc wrote:I agree Slade is doing a good job there's too many fans with unrealistic expectations. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

How about the results against bottom side teams....they are bottom for a reason yet we couldn't capitalise on this.....some very odd decisions over the season by slade that has cost us big time.....slade simply not good enough

Sun May 01, 2016 8:50 am

He has done a fair job in difficult situation,only change if we can get someone better.

Sun May 01, 2016 9:00 am

Almost 800 games as a manager and the guy has never won a thing not even one promotion!!! He is not about to change his dinasour beliefs.
Thanks for steadying the ship and any manager after OGS would have been an improvement but it's time to move on and get a younger hungrier manager in someone who the fans can relate to.

Sun May 01, 2016 9:16 am

I agree fully RS should be offered a 12 month contract with an options to extend.

When posters ask what has he done to deserve another go they are ignoring the elephant in the room which is our 7th place finish, an improvement on last seasons 11th.

We might still have a high wage bill but that has fallen dramatically over the past 12 months yet RS has got us higher in the league. He has been handicapped by not having a decent striker and other mitigating factors.

That is not to say there isn't problems (well documented) and they cannot be ignored. RS in any contract negotiation has to be told that he needs to be more adventurous and must get better results against lower championship sides. It would be fair by the club to point out the lack of variation in tactics and the failure to get more out of some players is a problem.

Sun May 01, 2016 9:30 am

llan bluebird wrote:You didn't expect us to do well but the club did. The stated goal was top six at least and i doubt we have been that for three out of the 40 or so weeks. Part of our underwhelmed opinion of the upcoming season was the fact we had a shit manager, so that tempered any enthusiasm for the season, so its a bit of a circular reference. The bookies had us about right.

I think the majority of our fans expected us to finish a few places below what we've achieved this season and put any club prediction of finishing in the top 6 down to pure optimism, as it was clear there was still a lot of culling of the squad in size, ability and wages to carry out!

llan bluebird wrote:In Marshall, Morrison, Connolly, Manga, Fabio, Whitts, Dikachoi, Noone, Pilkington and now Ralls we have top 8 championship standard players and to start the season we also had Kenwynne Jones and Joe Mason.

Of these "Top" Championship players you've listed, Morrison & Fabio have missed several months of the season due to injury and in Fabio's case, to list him as a top player at this level is a bit over the top IMO, as it surely shouldn't be that hard to dislodge a player of Malone's inconsistency from our starting eleven? Fabio managed to prove that passion and too often recklessness is not the same as quality. Digachoi proved earlier in the season that if he ever had it at this level, he's too slow and hasn't got it now. Noone has had a very mediocre season and whilst he tries hard, he's too predictable and fallen short of the standard he set during our promotion winning season. Pilkington is another player who was injured for umpteen weeks earlier in the season, who then underachieved when he got back into the side, whilst playing in his more accustomed wide role. Only when he was moved to a more advanced role, did he do himself justice and I suspect most people will agree, contributed greatly to us flirting with the Play Off places for far longer, than anybody expected!

In adding Kenwynne Jones and Joe Mason to your list of players at the top echelon of Championship footballers, I'd have to say that IMO, you've not understood why we were struggling up front in the first half of the season, but improved when we put a wide man up top to work in tandem with Immers. Both Jones & Mason were too slow and failed to harry and work our opponent's back four throughout their game time with us. In both of their cases, Slade (or the club) has done a superb job in getting them off our wage bill and in raising £3.5 million (if that's the correct figure) for Joe Mason. Let's not forget, that Mason was a striker without any pace, who had forgotten the offside law and IMO, the transfer fee, was at least £3 million too much for him. Thank you Kenny Jackett! :D

llan bluebird wrote:He is an old school, dependable character who is not suited meeting the better tacticians he meets in the championship.

I hope its announced before Saturday. I wouldn't want any nasty chants or the board misrepresent any appreciation of Russ with us wanting him kept on.

It's hard to disagree with your last 2 paragraphs and whilst I personally would prefer a change of direction, I can see why the club may feel, that he deserves another season.

Sun May 01, 2016 9:39 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

Says a lot about some people when they say an opinion is "wrong".

All I'll say to that is buy a dictionary and look up opinion.

:laughing6: :laughing6: Quite right.

and IMO(and I use this phrase in its correct term)Slade needs to be judged on everything he's had to do to get this club right and not just the XI he puts out on a saturday afternoon.