Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' THE BIG ONE: SHEFF WED v CARDIFF CITY ' GUESS THE SCOR

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:27 am

The club are expecting their highest league attendance of the season. The previous biggest crowd was 29,668 against Charlton Athletic in March.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:35 am

PETER WHITTS | IT'S UP TO US TO WIN ON SATURDAY

Tuesday 25th April 2016

by Matt Hale

Fresh from his penalty heroics against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, Peter Whittingham said its now up up to us to go and win.

“We like the fact that it’s in our hands on Saturday,” said Whitts. “If we go there and win, then we can take it to the last day. We know that we have the power to do something about it.

“It’s not a case of Sheffield Wednesday and ourselves playing someone else and hoping it goes our way. It’s up to us to go there and get the result.”

Of the last gasp Bolton victory, Whitts remarked, “It was a big penalty and a big win and it makes next Saturday huge for us...”

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:12 am

3-1 Wednesday

:sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout:

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:09 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Have a bad feeling for this one. Sheff Wed to win 3-0.

I have the opposite feeling and I'm going with a good gut feeling a three nil win to us after Sheffield W crumble under the weight of expectation and have 2 players sent off in the first half :D :bluescarf: :sladein:

Re: ' LATEST NEWS: SHEFF WED v CARDIFF CITY ' THE BIG ONE

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:10 am

It is an all-ticket clash and there will be no pay on the day option. Fans have been urged to buy their tickets as early as possible and not invade the pitch after the final whistle.

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Sheffield Wednesday supporting linesman dropped from Owls' crunch playoff decider against Cardiff City

Wednesday 27th April 2016

Daily Mirror

BY JAMES WHALING

James Bell, who lives in the Steel City, will now be an assistant referee at Forest vs Wolves after the Football League made a U-turn on his appointment

Wednesday are hoping to return to the Premier League this term

A Sheffield Wednesday fan who was appointed as a linesman for the Owls' crunch playoff clash against Cardiff City on Saturday has been dropped from the fixture by the Football League.

James Bell, a rookie match official, lives in Sheffield and was due to be an assistant referee at Hillsborough for the visit of the Bluebirds which will have huge implications on who secures the final playoff spot.

However, after the situation was flagged to the Football League by eagle-eyed representatives in South Wales, they have taken the decision to re-allocate him to Nottingham Forest vs Wolves, while Ravel Cheosiaua will take his place in South Yorkshire.

The incident comes a fortnight after the Premier League's controversial decision to remove referee Kevin Friend from Tottenham's clash at Stoke, because the official resides in Leicester.

Spurs were going head-to-head with the Foxes in the title race, and the authorities stood Friend down, despite the fact he is actually a Bristol City fan.

A spokesman for the Professional Game Match Officials Board told the Sheffield Star: "A software error led to James Bell being incorrectly appointed to Sheffield Wednesday's match with Cardiff City, as he is normally prohibited from officiating at matches involving either of the two Sheffield clubs.

"The error has now been rectified and James will not be involved in this match."

Carlos Carvalhal's Owls go into the fixture four points clear of Cardiff in the race for sixth spot - meaning a point will secure their place in the playoffs.

A victory for the Bluebirds would take it to the final game of the campaign, where Wednesday travel to Wolves and Russell Slade's side host Birmingham.

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:20 pm

Linesman ditched from crunch Sheffield Wednesday match - after being revealed as Owls fan

Official James Bell is a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

Sheffield Star

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Rookie official James Bell - who has been dropped from Sheffield Wednesday’s key play-off duel with Cardiff City - is an Owls fan, The Star can confirm.

Bell, in his first season as a Football League official, was originally chosen to be one of the linesmen assisting referee Paul Tierney in Saturday’s crunch showdown at Hillsborough.

Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Sheffield Wednesday respectfully request that all supporters refrain from entering the playing surface following Saturday’s final home game of the Championship season against Cardiff.

Due to improvements to the club’s training ground facilities at Middlewood Road planned to be completed for the start of pre-season, the first team will be effectively based at Hillsborough for the remainder of the campaign and it is vital we maintain the best possible playing surface on which the squad can train.

Even the smallest level of pitch invasion on Saturday would have a detrimental effect on the pitch and potentially hamper the players’ ability to train at this important part of the season.

Supporters should also note that the players will conduct the traditional end of term lap of honour immediately after Saturday’s game.

Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:15 pm

THERE'S BELIEF IN THE CAMP

Wednesday 27th April 2016

Ahead of Saturday's crucial Sky Bet Championship clash with Sheffield Wednesday, Sean Morrison spoke and looks ahead to the game and reflect on last weekend's victory over Bolton Wanderers.

City's home win on Saturday has cut the gap with the Owls to just four points, meaning that another victory at Hillsborough would take the battle for the final Play-Off spot down to the wire.

“It was a massive win," Morrison said of City's last-gasp victory over the Wanderers. "We knew what we had to do with Wednesday and Derby drawing. We knew the chance was there for us to creep up on them.

“I think Wednesday will come at us and try to win the game as they’re a good side and have been playing well all season. I think it will be a very entertaining game.

"Saturday is like a cup final, if we don’t get a win then it’s game over. We haven’t worked this hard to give up now.

“The belief in the camp between players, coaches and staff is one of the best I have been involved in. It’s positivity Monday to Friday. We’ve got a great bunch of players, on and off the field and the belief has never been in doubt.

“All we can do is come away from Sheffield with a win. Then, when we face Birmingham, we'll hope Wolves do us a favour to get that last spot.”

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:22 am

Cardiff City

Cardiff are hoping Dutchman Lex Immers will be fit enough to make the trip after picking up a hamstring injury over a week ago. Joe Ralls was forced off at half-time last time out but the midfielder looks likely to return. Bruno Ecuele-Manga should return to the squad after illness.

Fabio Da Silva looks likely to miss yet another while Kenneth Zohore looks set to start in the front-line for Cardiff after scoring on his first start last weekend.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:22 am

Sheffield Wednesday

Ross Wallace will miss out once again after picking up a three-game ban against MK Dons a week and a half ago and Joe Bennett will also miss out with a knee injury. Sam Hutchinson looks set to return following a glandular fever.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:24 am

Sheffield Wednesday Vs Cardiff City: Match Preview

April 27, 2016

By Jamie Kemble

Saturday 30th April (15.00)

Venue: Hillsborough

Referee: Paul Tierney

Cardiff take on Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough on Saturday in a monumental must-win clash in the play-off race.

The Bluebirds will face Carlos Carvalhal’s Sheffield Wednesday in their penultimate Championship fixture on Saturday afternoon. Cardiff will have to win to keep their play-off hopes alive going into the final game of the season.

Russell Slade’s men currently sit four points behind the Owls with two games remaining and if they want to secure a top six spot then they will need to beat Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday before winning their last game and hoping the Owls lose or draw against Wolves at the Molineux.

Sheffield Wednesday have enjoyed a superb season this term following a campaign of discontent last year. Carlos Carvalhal has inspired his men to entertain an entertaining, attacking and free-flowing brand of football which has caught the eye of many.

The Owls go into this one knowing a draw or a win will secure them a play-off place however, a number of Sheffield players have told the media they will not play for a draw.

Last time out, Wednesday took a point on the road against Derby County after Darren Bent cancelled out the impressive Barry Bannan’s fine strike. Wednesday are, in fact, on an indifferent reign of form with no win in four games.

This season, Wednesday have been inspired by two key players in Barry Bannan and Fernando Forestieri and Russell Slade will do well to keep both players quiet on Saturday.

In the previous meeting between the two sides this season, Cardiff dominated and took a two goal lead but during a period when Cardiff boasted an unhealthy record of giving away two-goal leads, the Owls pulled themselves back level to take home a point.

Cardiff are unbeaten against Sheffield Wednesday in six meetings – The Bluebirds will be hoping to exact some sort of revenge for when the teams met on the final day of 2009, on that occasion the Owls won by a slender 1-0 score-line, costing the Bluebirds a play-off place.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:08 am

Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City will face each other in the Championship this weekend.

NEIL WARNOCK PREDICTS

28/04/16

Rotherham United manager Neil Warnock predicted on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show on talkSPORT on Monday morning (broadcast from 6am, April 25) that Sheffield Wednesday will not lose to Cardiff City at home this weekend.

Wednesday will take on Cardiff at the Hillsborough Stadium in the Championship on Saturday afternoon.

“I think Sheffield will have a bit too much, if I am honest,” said Warnock on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show on talkSPORT on Monday morning (broadcast from 6am, April 25).

“I don’t think they will lose the game, and I think that’s all they have got to do. And I tell you, they are not a bad shout in the playoffs.”

Wednesday are sixth in the Championship table at the moment with 71 points from 44 matches, four points above Cardiff, who are currently seventh in the standings.

The Owls are in a brilliant position to claim the final playoff spot, and a win against the Bluebirds at Hillsborough Stadium on Saturday afternoon will ascertain that.

A defeat is going to dent Wednesday’s chances of finishing in the top six of the Championship this season, but they will still have their destiny in their own hands.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:12 am

Head to Head - Wednesday Vs Cardiff City

Head to Head - Wednesday Vs Cardiff City
What's being said in the forum now? Click to join the Vital Wednesday forum!
Head-to-Head Wednesday Vs Cardiff City

Wednesday Wins - 23 (League) 1 (FA Cup) 0 (League Cup) TOTAL = 24

Draws - 14 (League) 0 (FA Cup) 0 (League Cup) TOTAL = 24

Cardiff City Wins - 26 (League) 0 (FA Cup) 0 (League Cup) TOTAL = 26

Recent Matches -

2015/2016
CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 12Dec 2015
Cardiff 2 - 2 Sheff Wed

2014/2015
CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 07Feb 2015
Sheff Wed 1 - 1 Cardiff
CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 27Sep 2014
Cardiff 2 - 1 Sheff Wed

2012/2013
CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 16Mar 2013
Sheff Wed 0 - 2 Cardiff
CHAMPIONSHIP Su 02Dec 2012
Cardiff 1 - 0 Sheff Wed

2009/2010
CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 24Apr 2010
Cardiff 3 - 2 Sheff Wed
CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 26Sep 2009
Sheff Wed 3 - 1 Cardiff

2008/2009
CHAMPIONSHIP Su 03May 2009
Sheff Wed 1 - 0 Cardiff
CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 20Dec 2008
Cardiff 2 - 0 Sheff Wed

(Stats Credit to SoccerBase.com)

LAST MEETING -

Wednesday overturned a two goal deficit in the second half with goals from Fernando Forestieri and Barry Bannan in game that left both teams wanting more. Craig Noone put the hosts in front from the penalty spot, followed by a neat Anthony Pilkington finish before Fernando Forestieri and Barry Bannan netted two neat goals to send the Owls home with a point.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:41 am

WEDNESDAY ARE PLAYING POORLY

A few weeks back Carlos Carvalhal’s side looked absolute shoo-ins for the play-offs. They won four on the trot against Nottingham Forest, Charlton, Huddersfield and Blackburn, scoring nine goals and only conceding one in the process.

However, like Cardiff they have had a sudden dip in results heading into the Hillsborough crunch.

Did complacency creep in, because Wednesday were thrashed 4-1 at lowly Bristol City, only drew at home to relegated MK Dons and Ipswich, then conceded an equalising goal at Derby that kept the Bluebirds in the hunt.

Cardiff are hardly setting the world on fire themselves under Slade, but at least they are meeting opposition who have lost their way a little too.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:44 am

CARDIFF HAVEN’T LOST AT HILLSBOROUGH IN SEVEN YEARS

Cardiff’s recent record up at Hillsborough, and their head-to-head with Sheffield Wednesday in general, isn’t too bad.

They lost 3-1 at Hillsborough in 2009, but since then have had something of an Indian sign over Wednesday.

The subsequent results, home and away, read as follows: Cardiff 3 Sheff Wed 2; Cardiff 1 Sheff Wed 0; Sheff Wed 0 Cardiff 2; Cardiff 2 Sheff Wed 1; Sheff Wed 1 Cardiff 1; Cardiff 2 Sheff Wed 2.

So, technically speaking, they haven’t lost at Hillsborough in seven years, nor to Wednesday full stop, either.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:58 pm

' The Player Cardiff City Need to Stop '
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172028

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:19 am

Owls' Team News

Sam Hutchinson remains a doubt, though nobody really knows why. The Star said he had glandular fever, so we know that it definitely wasn't glandular fever. He was a bit poorly a bit back and hasn't returned since, your guess is as good as mine. Carlos recently mentioned that Felipe Melo (Portuguese chap, scruffy hair) was on the verge of returning to training, I can't envisage we'll see him on the pitch this season, but good news nonetheless. Modou Sougou has been ruled out for the season following surgery. Ross Wallace will serve the second game of his three match ban, a nice rest before the play-offs hopefully. Carlos is most likely going to continue with the midfield set-up that he has employed since Bannan came back in to the team, and Lee and Lopez became seemingly undroppable. It's a system I've bemoaned in recent weeks as I think it leaves us unbalanced and lacking in creativity without the wizadry of Bannan in the middle, however it didn't seem to do us much harm last week, so maybe I should leave team selection to Carlos and stick to writing previews (or maybe not, I'll leave that up to you!).

Possible Owls Line-Up:

Westwood; Hunt, Lees. Loovens, Pudil; McGeady, Lee, Lopez, Bannan, Forestieri, Hooper.

Subs: Wildsmith, Helan, Palmer, Sasso, McGugan, Matias, Nuhiu.

Cardiff Team News

Cardiff are set to welcome back striker Lex Immers, who sounds like he ought to be a Bond villain instead of a footballer. However, the Bluebirds will be without defenders Bruno Manga (Malaria) and Fabio (groin).

Last time out Cardiff snatched a victory at long-time relegated Bolton Wanderers with a controversial last minute penalty, and will be have to perform better if they're to keep their faint play-off hopes alive with a win at Hillsborough. Something only two sides have managed all season.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 am

Former Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City star Darren Purse on what it will be like to be Captain at Hillsborough

BY STEVE TUCKER

Darren Purse was captain when the Bluebirds' took on Sheffield Wednesday

Friday 29th April 2016

Darren Purse Says "The nerves will start building, but again it is about using that to build you up rather than let it knock you down."

THE NIGHT BEFORE

"In the build-up to a match like Cardiff have this weekend, I think they key thing for any captain is to keep his teammates relaxed. In particular I’m thinking of the younger players who might not have experienced a game of that importance before.

"You learn that a tight game like that is going to be decided maybe by a mistake, a moment of madness, or a moment of magic. Players need to stay focused, but it is about them relaxing.

"Any top athlete knows that nerves are good ahead of something like Cardiff’s clash at Hillsborough, but you have to use those nerves and not let them get the better of you and knock you out of your stride. That’s why it is important to keep everyone relaxed and maybe a bit distracted.

"You used to be able to have a few drinks years ago, but I think that’s a bit frowned on nowadays to be honest."

IN THE DRESSING ROOM

"Really there I would leave things very much to the manager to have his say and to give his last minute instructions and to motivate his players. For the skipper really it is about checking everyone is OK and no one has any issues or problems. Again really, for me, the focus was on the younger lads, I knew the senior players had their own way of preparing and their own routines before a big match. They had been in the situation plenty of times before.

"The nerves will start building, but again it is about using that to build you up rather than let it knock you down."

IN THE TUNNEL

"This is where I think the whole pressure and anticipation builds up. My attitude in the tunnel was simple, ‘We are soldiers going into battle, I’m going to lead the way, I will take whatever is coming first, but are you guys ready to follow me?’

IN THE HUDDLE

"I’ll be honest, I was never a massive fan of huddles before the game, I kind of did things individually, but they seem a lot more popular with sides nowadays.

Darren Purse and Jason Jarrett battle for the ball as Norwich win 1-0 in 2005
"This is the captain’s moment though really, the chance to say your piece, players are looking to you then. You do want to motivate, but by now the atmosphere is doing your job for you in a way. My thoughts on it really were, if you cannot motivate yourself at a time like this then you need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror."

ONCE THE GAME HAS KICKED OFF

"There’s a lot going on in game of course. The captain is there to keep people motivated whatever comes and keep them focused on the task in hand. Again, younger players in particular will have bad times during games they will make mistakes, it’s important for their captain to see them through those times.

"You have to move them on and not let them dwell on anything bad that night have happened. There is just no time for that. The attitude I tried to keep in my teammates’ minds as the game went on was, very much that we are in this together, we may win, lose or draw, but whatever happens we will have done it as one, as a team."

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:57 am

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - Ticket sales for our away game with swfc will stop at 5PM today. Tickets are not available at the ground tmw.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:30 am

Gunnarsson and Manga are in contention for tomorrows big game v Sheff Wednesday

Gunnarsson and Manga are in the squad of 20 as is Declan John.

Lex Immers, Joe Ralls and Fabio Da Silva are OUT

Definitely out is Fabio, Lex Immers is also missing and then there is a little group with one or two not 100% so we’re taking a 20-man squad with us. Joe Ralls is also out.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 am

' RUSSELL SLADE SPEAKS ABOUT THE BIG MATCH V SHEFF WEDNESDAY '

Does this feel like a cup final?

Yes, it’s been a journey, we’re coming towards the end, each game gets tougher and gets bigger. It’s a huge game for both football clubs.

Just how big is this game?

It’s huge. You have to take yourself back to the summer and lay down the preparation with your group as you go into a marathon, a long journey, and then you get to the stage we’re at now. It’s never a straight road, there’s always twists along the way. We’re near the finishing line and we’re in a position and a realistic situation of getting to a play-off final and the Premier League.

That’s what we all chase and there’s a lot of teams below us who would switch with us. We have to accept the situation we’re in and embrace the fact we have a wonderful opportunity to deliver something special.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:10 am

Kenneth Zohore is fit to play :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:36 pm

I hope Marshal is fit and firing as a clean sheet could be crucial and he can certainly help deliver one! :ayatollah:

Re: ' LATEST NEWS: SHEFF WED v CARDIFF CITY ' MATCH THREAD

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:41 am

Saturday 30th April 2016

Cardiff City have sold just over a 1,000 tickets(incl 50 comps) for todays biggest game of the season, Sheffield Wednesday have sold out the home end and may open up the bottom tier of the away end for their home fans .

Re: ' MATCH THREAD: SHEFF WED v CARDIFF CITY ' MATCH THREAD

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:29 am

Lets hope for a shock,you never never know :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:12 am

May the best team... erm... get the result they need?! :o

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:30 am

CarlosSWFC wrote:May the best team... erm... get the result they need?! :o

:lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Marshall, Peltier, Malone, Connolly, Morrison, Dikgacoi, O'Keefe, Whittingham, Noone, Zohore, Pilkington.

Subs: Moore, Turner, Manga, Gunnarsson, Harris, Lawrence, Ameobi.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:12 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.