Thousands of Welsh fans wake up to the news of a lifetime

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:12 pm

' Thousands of Welsh fans wake up to the news of a lifetime '

Tuesday 9th Feb 2016

by Jamie Kemble

Thousands of Welsh fans have today woken up to the news of a lifetime as they find out they have secured tickets to the European Championships in France, in the summer. More than 50,000 applied for tickets for Wales’ first major tournament in over half a century.

Welsh supporters today found out whether they were part of the 21,177 allocation, spread over three fixtures in Bordeaux, Lens and Toulouse. Less than half of those who applied got their hands on tickets for Wales’ group stage and potential knockout stage fixtures.

Social media was overrun with Welsh supporters who have woken up to the news of of a lifetime – they can watch their team in a major tournament, something that seemed a distant dream back in 2012 when Wales were beaten by six goals to one in their biggest defeat in over fifteen years.

The Football Association of Wales used a loyalty points system to reward the most loyal supporters before providing the information to UEFA who distributed the tickets. The loyalty system took into account your membership status for the current campaign, the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign and FIFA World Cup 2010 qualifying campaign. The criteria also included how many away games individuals had attended from the last eleven away trips.

Of course, with elation comes disappointment and thousands of Welsh supporters woke up to an e-mail containing the words ‘unsuccessful application’. Those supporters could still get their hands on tickets though with the general public draw later this month and the re-sale portal opening in March.

Thousand Wales’ supporters are expected to make the journey to France during the tournament as Wales take on fellow European heavyweights.

Wales’ initial allocation for the three fixtures combined was around 17,000 but it was extended by over 4,000 towards the end of last month. The allocation for the opening game against Slovakia is the biggest of the three group stage fixtures with 8,969, the smallest allocation of the three is the England fixture in Lens with 5202 allocated.
Attachments
CaxfnMZW8AABF6p.jpg-large.jpeg
CaxfnMZW8AABF6p.jpg-large.jpeg (76.6 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Thousands of Welsh fans wake up to the news of a lifetim

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:16 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Attachments
CayQkNFXEAA2oNT.jpg
CayQkNFXEAA2oNT.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby caerblue » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:22 pm

Loads of fans with points have been left disappointed,four of us applied and we ended up with one ticket for the quarter final,if any one gets one through general public option,I ll be amazed and to be honest fuming
caerblue

Postby Mike Strinati » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Ive heard few people that go home and away with Wales regular that havent been given a ticket and others have been given tickets after only watching maybe 2 games. Surely unfair on those fans.
Mike Strinati

Postby Pulisnewport » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:33 pm

Wop wrote:Ive heard few people that go home and away with Wales regular that havent been given a ticket and others have been given tickets after only watching maybe 2 games. Surely unfair on those fans.

That's what I have heard. Cannot be right that a Gold member is over looked by someone who is not?

Makes a mockery if paying to be a member, save your money for the World Cup and use it for ticket allocation.

Appears some fans have been treated the same way as City fans by the Management. Just a part of football 2016 style :ayatollah:
Pulisnewport

Postby Sven » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Great news for many, but I feel genuinely sorry for the true regulars that may have might have missed out on the chance to support their team in France at the expense of the Glory Hunters :cry:

A fact of life in modern football (and other sports) but a sad one nonetheless! :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby cardiff 74 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:04 pm

My application was unsuccessful I applied for to lots of tickets but didn't get either.even though I have watched Wales loads of times over the years I must admit as regards away games I can honestly say apart from going to Wembley and anfield I havnt travelled abroad at all in all those years I have gold memberships but to be fair I suppose I can't really complain
cardiff 74

Postby Cwmann_Bluebird » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:
Wop wrote:Ive heard few people that go home and away with Wales regular that havent been given a ticket and others have been given tickets after only watching maybe 2 games. Surely unfair on those fans.

That's what I have heard. Cannot be right that a Gold member is over looked by someone who is not?

Makes a mockery if paying to be a member, save your money for the World Cup and use it for ticket allocation.

Appears some fans have been treated the same way as City fans by the Management. Just a part of football 2016 style :ayatollah:

Only Gold members were eligible to apply in this window. Nobody who wasn't a Gold member could have applied, as each member was given a special access code to use for the Wales-specific ticket portal.
Cwmann_Bluebird

Postby CardiffCityBlue » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm

It's a point system if your a gold member plus a season ticket holder for World Cup 2014 and euro 2016 that would count more than 10 aways , season tickets are 6 points and membership is 4 so there's 10 straight off
A away game is only 2 points
CardiffCityBlue

Postby Stringfellow » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:44 pm

While I understand fans being dissapointed a system is in place and a scoring system, they didn't just draw it out of a hat. I agree some selections seem odd but you can't argue with a scoring system. Plenty of tickets will be available in time and plenty out in France as the French wint fancy Wales vs Slovakia or Russia. Try not to panic, all will get tickets. :thumbup:
You have to go through the bad times to appreciate the good times!!!
Stringfellow

Postby mallo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:15 pm

HAPPY DAYS !!!!!!! :bluescarf:
Mallo

Will Always be blue !
mallo

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 pm

Spot On :tandragon:
TopCat CCFC

Return to General Chat