' NATHAN BLAKE SAYS "IT HAS TO BE NOW/BUT" '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:18 am

Cardiff City have to start winning run NOW if they are to reach play-offs - Nathan Blake
But one thing that is going to need to happen is for the fans to get behind the side.

Tuesday 9th Feb 2016

BY NATHAN BLAKE

Bluebirds fans are left tasting the Championship play-off places, but are still unable to touch them after another weekend of frustrating inconsistency from Russell Slade and his men.

It’s been no secret all season that if the Bluebirds are to miss out on the top six, and I have maintained all along that I fear they will, then it is a lack of goals scored that will lie at the root of the matter.

Anyone who saw the Bluebirds against MK Dons will testify to that. Slade’s side did just about all they could do going forward bar actually put the ball in the net.

I’m not going to be too hard on them for that, the conditions were absolutely appalling in the Welsh capital after all the rain, but across the whole season, failure to find a recognised and consistent goalscorer looks set to cost the Bluebirds dearly.

Sure, there have been comings and goings and injuries to deal with, but the Bluebirds’ staff really should have set up two or three strikers who were going to get the goals this term. Players should have been given a run in the side, a strike partnership built up.

That has not really happened this term and I fear time is running out for it to happen now.

Saying that, I thought Tom Lawrence had a good debut for the Bluebirds after arriving on loan for the season from Leicester.

He looks a very positive young player, the kind that wants to get on the ball and drive forward and get at the opposition. He made a good impact. It reminded me a little of when Tony Watt arrived in the Cardiff attack at the back end of last year, you’ve suddenly got a bit more energy going forward, a bit more pep.

It’s a big time for Lawrence, being a Wales international and the Euros coming up in the summer. I don’t see any reason why he can’t force his way into Chris Coleman’s squad, hopefully that will act as a really good incentive for him, with Cardiff reaping the rewards as a result.

When it comes to the Bluebirds as a whole, though, I really do fear they are set to miss out on the play-offs. I’m not jumping on any bandwagon here by the way, if you look back to the start of the season I predicted they would finish eighth and, of course, I’m not seeing much to make me change my mind at the moment.

The Bluebirds desperately need a run of wins on the bounce now, three or four on the trot if they are ever going to bridge that gap back up to the play-off places. OK, it’s not happened so far this season, but I’m still trying to remain optimistic about their chances.

One thing that is going to need to happen is for the fans to get behind the side. At home, where results have just not happened recently for the side, this is vitally important. I’m not even sure the supporters realise what an influence they can have on their team.

Looking ahead to the weekend and, whilst the Charlton game is not a must-win, you really do feel the Bluebirds need the three points if the gap between them and the top six is not to widen.

Cardiff’s form on the road has been good, with two victories away from home on the bounce. But, with a resurgent Brighton coming up next and then a tough trip to Middlesbrough following closely on, you worry that, without three points at The Valley, the Bluebirds might be leaving themselves with too much to do very soon.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat