Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CLUB IN CHAMPIONSHIP TOP SIX SACK MANAGER "

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Derby County Football Club is saddened to announce that Paul Clement will leave his post with immediate effect.

Monday 8th Feb 2016

The Head Coach, who joined the club in June last year, has been relieved of his duties and is replaced by Academy Director and former Rams defender Darren Wassall until the end of the season.

Chairman Mel Morris said: “We are grateful for the contribution Paul has made to the football club but the time is right to make a change.

“When Paul joined us last year we worked with him to develop a plan for the club which we asked him to embrace.

“It was clear in this plan, which was briefed to supporters, players, sponsors and all our stakeholders last summer that promotion this season was not the primary target. The priorities were building on the Derby way and style of football enjoyed in the past two seasons; adding depth and strength to our playing squad; and, developing and improving player and team performance.

“Sadly, on these measurements, we have not made enough progress and that is why we have decided to part company with Paul.

“I firmly believe that we have one of the very best first team squads in this league. Our players are highly talented professionals who are more than capable of winning games at this level and beyond.

“I want to record our thanks to Paul for his efforts in leading the team through the first 30 games of this season and in achieving a top six position at this point. We wish him every success in his future career.”

Chief Executive Sam Rush, confirmed that Wassall, 47, will take training tomorrow in his new role.

He said: “We are in the fortunate position to have somebody as capable as Darren at our football club and he will be leading the coaching staff with immediate effect.

“Our focus is to get the team back on track, delivering the style of football and performance we know they are capable of. I know our fans will give Darren, the coaching staff and the team their full support.”

Re: TEAM IN CHAMPIONSHIP TOP SIX SACK MANAGER

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:12 pm

No way bloody hell ,strange one again

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:12 pm

:o :o :o

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:15 pm

Obviously the owners think they should be pissing the league.Expectations is a funny thing.

Re: " CLUB IN CHAMPIONSHIP TOP SIX SACK MANAGER "

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:16 pm

They are falling apart FFP is beckoning. :lol:

Derby part company with there manger

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:17 pm

if Derby think there manger is crap what chance have we got

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Mad. Assistant expected to take charge for the rest of the season too

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Bit harsh. Yes they are going through a sticky patch but they are still well in the mix.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Shocked by this.

I know they're on a bad run, and gone seven games without a win. But they are 5th in the league and five points off top. Very strange decision and what's even stranger is they've put the Academy Director in charge for the rest of the season.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:27 pm

They will slip up again and will suffer the FFP.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:28 pm

They get sell out crowds every week strange one Paul clement has worked with europes best not like Russell slade

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:35 pm

I am not surprised, he's done an Ogs, spunked a shitload of money on players who are underperforming.

Football is a cut throat sport, times move on !!

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Also their owner said that he was the next Fergie! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34711334 :lol:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:47 pm

That is ludicrous. He is a great prospect imo. Football world gone mad again :shock: :shock: :?

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Wolfpac wrote:I am not surprised, he's done an Ogs, spunked a shitload of money on players who are underperforming.

Football is a cut throat sport, times move on !!

Not quite the same, fella, is it? :?

I'd have him here at Cardiff City and swap our current League position! ;)

Sounds like Panic Stations from the Derby Board and I think he (Paul Clements) is suffering the after effects of what Steve McLaren and his team did last season, i.e. 'bottle it' for the run-in!

There's a hint in the statement (quote): "Our players are highly talented professionals who are more than capable of winning games at this level and beyond"

I'm sure Paul Clement won't be out of work for long, but I'm not so sure about Derby 'pushing on' from here, which may potentially help us when/if they tumble along with over-achievers Brighton and when/if we ever get a run together! :thumbup:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:49 pm

SKY BREAKING NEWS

Paul Clement has been sacked as Derby head coach.

He leaves the Rams in fifth place in the Championship, just five points off top spot, and the club have said in a statement that they are "saddened to announce" he is leaving with immediate effect.

Academy director and former defender Darren Wassall will take charge until the end of the season.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:51 pm

A few Chelsea fans want him down there

Derby sack Clements.....

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Not sure if this has been posted or not.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:53 pm

Totally deserved. I would be distraught to be a derby fan this season

Derby sack manager

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Derby have sacked Paul Clement

Re: Derby sack manager

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:35 pm

scooby1973 wrote:Derby have sacked Paul Clement

Have they?

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Im not happy with the headline

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Rita Pidsdale wrote:Im not happy with the headline

Well if your not happy,just ignore it.

A Top 6 Championship club has sacked its manager,a fact :ayatollah:

A shock, but a fact.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Why's that then? You would know it's not a thread about us before you opened it, we're are 9th. :lol:

I don't know what you were expecting.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

A shock, but a fact.

yeh, you're right Annis. You've got PM.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Theres been some horrific click bait on here over the last few months.... this isnt one of them :lol:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:20 pm

Rita Pidsdale wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

A shock, but a fact.

yeh, you're right Annis. You've got PM.

Thanks for the pm, Ive replied :thumbright: :thumbright:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:21 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Theres been some horrific click bait on here over the last few months.... this isnt one of them :lol:

Paulh, U love this forum :lol:

I might do some headlines just for you :lol: :thumbright:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:22 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Totally deserved. I would be distraught to be a derby fan this season

I agree, the reactions in the post are funny, they were on target for promotion but are dropping like a stone with four points out of a possible 18 from the last six games.

Great numbers two's often don't make it as a Manager....

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Funny how other posters enjoy telling us how things should be written/what headline to use.