Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘Cardiff now have a tricky fortnight to negotiate’

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:30 am

16/02/08

by Jamie Kemble

The Bluebirds failed to take three points from strugglers MK Dons at home on Saturday afternoon and as a result, they have given themselves a tricky couple of weeks as they attempt to close-in on the Sky Bet Championship.

After dropping yet another two points against lower league opposition, Cardiff are now five points from the top six with sixteen games remaining. Next Saturday they travel to The Valley as they take on bottom-club Charlton Athletic before two very difficult fixtures in the following weeks.

Following the Charlton game, Cardiff host fourth placed Brighton and Hove Albion before travelling to title-chasing Middlesbrough.

Cardiff will need to take three points from bottom-club Charlton next week or they may take just three points or less from the next three games. If the Bluebirds want to contest the play-offs then they should be looking to see of Charlton and even Brighton likewise, although Middlesbrough is a tough trip for even the best teams in the league.

By dropping points against MK Dons, Cardiff have piled a huge amount of pressure on themselves to make it three away wins on the bounce when they travel to Charlton or by the time they come home from Middlesbrough, they could be a long way off the play-offs unless they pull off a couple of surprise wins.

Having said that, if Cardiff can take six points from their next three games then they will be provided with the opportunity to go on a nice run with Preston (14th) home, Bristol City (20th) away and Leeds (16th) home before hosting play-off rivals Ipswich Town at home.

The big issue at the moment is; Cardiff lack ruthlessness – when you feel they might go on a run, they slip up and instead of scoring three or four they end up scraping a draw or failing to score. If you look at Brighton, they have often made their own luck this season with plenty of late winners but you don’t often see that from Cardiff.

If Russell Slade can install the ruthlessness needed into his side then I believe you will see the consistency coming through. If you look at Cardiff’s play-off rivals: Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham, they all play until the end and they score plenty of last minute winners because they make sure they win at any cost and at the moment, we’re just not getting that from Cardiff.

If Slade’s men can go to Charlton and see off the Addicks as they should then they will have the confidence to go and beat a very good Brighton side at home before travelling to ‘Boro’ but slip-up at Charlton then that Brighton game will become very difficult because Chris Hughton’s men are a ruthless team and they will undoubtedly give Cardiff a difficult afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘Cardiff now have a tricky fortnight to negotiate’

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 am

Sadly I think our season will be determined by mid March.

Need some positive news for next season, new manager and a clear plan of investment and intent

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:02 am

the charlton game is a bigger one than it probably needs to be now because of the results against rotherham and MK Dons, feel we need a minimum of 4 points from the next two games, but probably need the 6 as Boro in midweek(who the hell came up with that idea by the way?!?) is a tough ask.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:22 pm

Some good and bad news about Saturday.

Good news - I'll be in attendance :bluescarf:

Bad news - I've never seen Cardiff win in London :(

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion wrote:Some good and bad news about Saturday.

Good news - I'll be in attendance :bluescarf:

Bad news - I've never seen Cardiff win in London :(

Either means time to break the habit. Or Fk off and don't go :lol:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:17 pm

We show up for the bigger teams for some reason quite confident we can get decent points in return I think we could sneak a win at Boro they are stuttering lately and we can beat Brighton. :thumbright: :ayatollah: