Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Parking Ticket Advice!!!

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:42 pm

My street was absolutely full of cars and the only space available was a disabled space outside my dads house. I had to pick up a mattress so figured it wouldn't hurt to park there to get it. I went in and spoke briefly to my mum and came out to find a parking ticket on my car! Granted I shouldn't have been in the space but I was there less than 5 minutes so a £70 fine seems a little harsh.

I spoke to the wardens who were only a few yards away and they said I would have to appeal. I explained that my dads disabled and I was dropping him off. They said if I photocopy the badge and say it fell off I could pay half or get it revoked. Is this true or is he just saying this to get me off his back?

I'm not going to throw my toys out the Pram and say people park up there all the time and I get done for 5 minutes although it's true. The laws the law so if I have to pay I will grit my teeth and cough up. I just wondered if anyone has successfully appealed a ticket and what they put?

My old man has let me off £100 I owe him to soften the blow but I would rather win my appeal and pay him what I owe. £70 is a fair amount of money to pay out just like that! :cry:

Re: Parking Ticket Advice!!!

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:11 pm

If the Disabled Bay was there primarily for your father's use (you say it was outside his house) then there would be grounds for appeal, if you can prove you were there 'on behalf of' your father

It's not unheard and has to be worth the price of a stamp, eh?

Good luck if you do! :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Sven wrote:If the Disabled Bay was there primarily for your father's use (you say it was outside his house) then there would be grounds for appeal, if you can prove you were there 'on behalf of' your father

Cheers, :ayatollah:

It's not there just for my dad it's really for anyone with a permit. My dad doesent use it unless he has to. He said there are people parked there without badges day in day out and he's only seen one person get a ticket! It is a bit of a wind up because my only other option was to block the road or drag a mattress out of the street! It's just plain unlucky I think.

If you cough straight up its £35 after 2 weeks it's £70! I could appeal but I have to be careful not to miss the window.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:06 pm

My opinion. Pay the fine and put it down to experience.

If you go to court and loose it may cost you a few hundred pounds.

Only go to court if you know you did not commit a parking offence.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 pm

lyndipops wrote:
Sven wrote:If the Disabled Bay was there primarily for your father's use (you say it was outside his house) then there would be grounds for appeal, if you can prove you were there 'on behalf of' your father

Cheers, :ayatollah:

It's not there just for my dad it's really for anyone with a permit. My dad doesent use it unless he has to. He said there are people parked there without badges day in day out and he's only seen one person get a ticket! It is a bit of a wind up because my only other option was to block the road or drag a mattress out of the street! It's just plain unlucky I think.

If you cough straight up its £35 after 2 weeks it's £70! I could appeal but I have to be careful not to miss the window.

In this case you may struggle but worth a pone call first ;)

My late wife was disabled, so I have a sort of understanding how the parking system works and there are situations where these bays can be used 'on behalf of' a disabled person, but the general rule is they usually need to be in attendance (as your dad technically was) and the Blue Badge HAS to be on display (which is where I now think your issue will be)

Sorry, but as I said, make the call. Nothing to lose if done within the time limit and (if I remember) there is an instant on-line payment option if time becomes tight :thumbup:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Id check but I think if you appeal the time you have to pay the first fine of £35 is frozen until the appeal is heard

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:54 pm

lyndipops wrote:My street was absolutely full of cars and the only space available was a disabled space outside my dads house. I had to pick up a mattress so figured it wouldn't hurt to park there to get it. I went in and spoke briefly to my mum and came out to find a parking ticket on my car! Granted I shouldn't have been in the space but I was there less than 5 minutes so a £70 fine seems a little harsh.

I spoke to the wardens who were only a few yards away and they said I would have to appeal. I explained that my dads disabled and I was dropping him off. They said if I photocopy the badge and say it fell off I could pay half or get it revoked. Is this true or is he just saying this to get me off his back?

I'm not going to throw my toys out the Pram and say people park up there all the time and I get done for 5 minutes although it's true. The laws the law so if I have to pay I will grit my teeth and cough up. I just wondered if anyone has successfully appealed a ticket and what they put?

My old man has let me off £100 I owe him to soften the blow but I would rather win my appeal and pay him what I owe. £70 is a fair amount of money to pay out just like that! :cry:

just wanted to clarify something, is the parking space outside your dads house actually for him? you say its outside his house, and that he is disabled (even though you werent actually dropping him off) but i thought that to have a specific place put outside the house you had to apply to the council. If the space is your fathers then its worth querying the fine, if not then you shouldnt have been parked there and should probably just pay it in fairness.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 pm

Write a polite letter to the issuer of the ticket, explaining what happened. As long as you haven't done this before, you may get it at least reduced if not quashed. If you've been done before (anywhere), then you'll probably have to pay up in full.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
lyndipops wrote:My street was absolutely full of cars and the only space available was a disabled space outside my dads house. I had to pick up a mattress so figured it wouldn't hurt to park there to get it. I went in and spoke briefly to my mum and came out to find a parking ticket on my car! Granted I shouldn't have been in the space but I was there less than 5 minutes so a £70 fine seems a little harsh.

just wanted to clarify something, is the parking space outside your dads house actually for him? you say its outside his house, and that he is disabled (even though you werent actually dropping him off) but i thought that to have a specific place put outside the house you had to apply to the council. If the space is your fathers then its worth querying the fine, if not then you shouldnt have been parked there and should probably just pay it in fairness.

Paul, he states above that the bay is NOT for the sole use of his dad. It just happens to be outside his house :thumbup:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Sven wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Paul, he states above that the bay is NOT for the sole use of his dad. It just happens to be outside his house :thumbup:

im confused then because i didnt think they put joint disabled spaces on the street outside the house, if two people qualified for a space they would put two there wouldnt they?

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:49 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Sven wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

im confused then because i didnt think they put joint disabled spaces on the street outside the house, if two people qualified for a space they would put two there wouldnt they?

I thought that, Paul but then I thought it might depend on where the house was located, i.e. on a main street or in a town centre. We often see dedicated Disabled Bays around the city these days; mainly for the exclusive use of 4x4 owners, of course! ;) :laughing6: :laughing6:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:57 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Sven wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Disabled parking bays are never for exclusive use by the disabled person closets to the bay, even if it has been specifically marked for them to use.

Disabled parking bays can be used by anyone with a blue badge and it also doesn't matter where the blue badge was issued.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi buddy I have been in the exact same position as yourself expect the blue badge was displayed but the wrong way up (the date of expiry has to be showing)

Technically I had breached the terms of use and the parking warden can issue a parking ticket in such circumstances.

However the parking authority are supposed to use common sense in such matters, so when I appealed (sending a photocopy of my blue badge the right way up and an explanation) they quashed the ticket.

That is what the parking attendants were telling you to do. Appeal explaining you were parking there for the benefit of your Father and send a copy of the badge. You might have to send a signed statement by your Father confirming the circumstances

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Try this site

www.donotpay.co.uk

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Like you say you knew you in the wrong, so don't see why you don't just pay the £35 and chalk down to experience. Because essentially you got there no free parking spaces which was an inconvenience to you as a fully able person. So you thought process was then to park in a disabled place to make things easier for you irrelevant of a disabled persons needs. You even say you dad monitors the parking space and is not happy with non disabled people parking there, yet you parked in a place reserved for people just like you dad.

It is a lot of money for just trying to be a good son. But like you said you know you in the wrong don't see why you posted in hope of wriggling out of it. If you you got Sam,s email give him a call he snakey enough to find a way out. Lol.

Bluebirds.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Sven wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Disabled parking bays are never for exclusive use by the disabled person closets to the bay, even if it has been specifically marked for them to use.

Disabled parking bays can be used by anyone with a blue badge and it also doesn't matter where the blue badge was issued.

Tony, it his not unheard of for authorities to agree to place a Disabled Parking Bay outside a specific property for the benefit on the home owner. However, you are correct when you say that it doesn't exclude other Blue Badge Holders from using them

When I was working near UniGlam (Treforest) it was nothing to see residents putting large orange cones outside their homes to protect "their" spaces. Totally illegal in itself, but it seemed to work and I never saw the (then) Traffic Wardens pull up on it!