Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Souless match day experience

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:51 pm

I used to go to the football for the atmosphere and to have a piss up with mates, call the away fans a bunch of cunts and roar on the boys. Win or lose I always enjoyed. Last season and particularly this season I have began to hate watching Cardiff play and its got nothing to do with the football. For those that want 5k hardcore fans rather than 20k plastics think again. There was no more than 12k there today and it was like a dustbowl, you could hear the individual calls from the players. It's completely embarrassing and the players must hate it too. We used to be known for our atmosphere now tin pot teams come down here and take the piss out of it.

I'll renew for next year but I probably won't go to most of the games. Football in Cardiff is dead, we have massive stadium and no fans, no passion. f**k this club.

Re: Souless match day experience

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:I used to go to the football for the atmosphere and to have a piss up with mates, call the away fans a bunch of cunts and roar on the boys. Win or lose I always enjoyed. Last season and particularly this season I have began to hate watching Cardiff play and its got nothing to do with the football. For those that want 5k hardcore fans rather than 20k plastics think again. There was no more than 12k there today and it was like a dustbowl, you could hear the individual calls from the players. It's completely embarrassing and the players must hate it too. We used to be known for our atmosphere now tin pot teams come down here and take the piss out of it.

I'll renew for next year but I probably won't go to most of the games. Football in Cardiff is dead, we have massive stadium and no fans, no passion. f**k this club.

I commented to my son that it wasn't good being able to hear the rain on the stand roof.......Sad :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:I used to go to the football for the atmosphere and to have a piss up with mates, call the away fans a bunch of cunts and roar on the boys. Win or lose I always enjoyed. Last season and particularly this season I have began to hate watching Cardiff play and its got nothing to do with the football. For those that want 5k hardcore fans rather than 20k plastics think again. There was no more than 12k there today and it was like a dustbowl, you could hear the individual calls from the players. It's completely embarrassing and the players must hate it too. We used to be known for our atmosphere now tin pot teams come down here and take the piss out of it.

I commented to my son that it wasn't good being able to hear the rain on the stand roof.......Sad :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:05 pm

Modern football eh.

This forum is a contradiction let's be honest. They moan about attendances but split the fans with their negative attitude to new fans. Any newbie is a plastic, a tan arselicker or a red.

Also that Bill Shankly quote is aimed at fans who moan and groan and boo at the teams at the games not the ones who come and go. Quite ironic really when you consider the atmosphere has been pretty toxic down the stadium pretty much since the move to the CCS.

None more so than Dave Jobes last season where a section of fans were as guilty as Bywater and J Lloyd Samuel in costing us promotion.

Always on the backs of players like Whitts and Bothroyd instead of getting behind the team. It's these fans who moan about people who don't go, newbies, plastics.etc but they are just as responsible for the shit match day atmosphere with their elitist attitude.

I may have a moan on here but never booed the lads at the game, especially when the game was going on. What good is that?

I'm glad I'm out of it tbh. These so called die hards can stick it as far as I'm concerned. Their no different to Tan with their attitude towards other fans.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 pm

Not going to recover from our toxic Premier League hangover for some time. Fans feel like we're not chasing anything anymore, even when there's reasons there like how we have to comply with FFP rules. Tan's comments must still lay in the minds of some who don't turn up even if he's not there anymore.

City are trying to rectify it, the Canton Stand is one of the only stands in British Football that has safe standing in a way. Trying to do more at half time, down to supporters to take it upon themselves to generate an atmosphere. Some are extremely lazy and feel like they have a divine right over a football club cos they fork out a few quid for a match. You pay for a match, you don't pay for the club to cater to your every needs is what I say. The club have authorised for the CCS to have those flags made and has been the venue for fans to have fans meetings, free of charge I assume as well.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Hear f*cking hear oldman totally agree :thumbup:

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:10 pm

It's not a Ccfc problem it's a modern day football problem, when you go away most teams muster a single song. Football is dead my friend, sky has killed it :sad7:

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:35 pm

Singing etc has been in decline for ages, I am not so much bothered by that it's the fact we play in a large stadium which is only a third full. I appreciate most clubs don't sell out but it's far less noticeable at there grounds, ours is way too big for us. I said many times on here we shouldn't expand, that it would be stupid to do so and i've been proven correct. All we need is 20k (and I mean 20k fans there not the bullshit figures they announce) and it will be bareable.

Atmosphere may have decline across the country but none more so that ours and I honestly believe we now have one of the worst atmosphere in the league. Today was relatively big game for us, didn't feel like it.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:42 pm

The soul has been ripped out of it. My mate wasn't well and offered me his ticket for free but not for me anymore I'm afraid.

Took my kids to watch Goosebumps instead.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:43 pm

Times change! It wasn't always brilliant in Ninian Park. I'm glad I went today. We're at about our natural level. Our current crowds are about what they were, week on week, in the Jimmy Andrews era.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:55 pm

Football is massive in Cardiff.. There are football fans all over the place, but most are still man utd, Liverpool, arsenal and so on.

I also think that football has a lot to contend with these days like pcs, tv, dvd, cinema, Cardiff Devils, rugby, sky, cable and general nights out holidays

Years ago you were limited to what you could do. Plus, football has lost its way a bit and had a massive change from the 70s, 80s and early 90s when if we were doing shit on the field, we would make up for it off the field.
Football needs to change and I don't know what the answer is, but fans feeling like customers don't work for a start.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:37 am

True - watching the parks is more fun - I do it every saturday now.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:07 am

Ummm bet they aren't complaining about modern football in Leicester or Swansea. Or about soul or togetherness. Its just the ccfc I've followed for 40 years .a few ups mostly downs. Ninian park ,Cardiff city stadium same old story.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:08 am

polo wrote:The soul has been ripped out of it. My mate wasn't well and offered me his ticket for free but not for me anymore I'm afraid.

Took my kids to watch Goosebumps instead.

When you compare our fans in general to other clubs, I just don't think in general we have ever had a fans base as committed to football as those. Looking at Liverpool yesterday, where they have 15k walking out in protest over price increases, Man Utd fans starting a new club in protest, that shows real passion for what their clubs and general what football means. You talk to many of those fans and football is their only love. I think in Wales it's different, as we have such a deep rooted Rugby tradition, which dilutes the passion for football. 99% of my mates who watch City or have in the past also love their rugby just as much. What it tells me, is that we have a fan base, where the football is not a number one priority. When times are tough, it makes it easier to drop off from supporting the team.
I hate all this talk about plastics, newbies it's such self righteous bollocks. My older brother for example came back to watching City, when we were on the promotion roll with Malky. Before that, he hadn't been to a game since the early eighties, he played Rugby instead, but had been a well known face never missing games throughout the late 70s early 80s. He's would have been referred to as a plastic, yet probably had more Cardiff games under his belt in the bad old days than most.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:16 am

Agreed Leyton. Especially the rugby bit. Cardiff is not a football City. It's always relied heavily on valleys and the surrounding areas for its support.

Also a lot of City's support from within Cardiff has come from the less well off areas. Ely, Grangetown, Llanrumney.etc. I don't think there's football supporting DNA in the more affluent areas.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:32 am

It's because Cardiff have always had a lot of glory hunter fans, we do have a lot of grumpy/miserable supporters. Love the club, detest some of our fans.i still love following my team.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:45 am

langley wrote:It's because Cardiff have always had a lot of glory hunter fans, we do have a lot of grumpy/miserable supporters. Love the club, detest some of our fans.i still love following my team.

I'm not being funny, but Cardiff would not be a team you would choose, if you were glory hunting :lol: I , like many of the lads , who started going in the early eighties, went firstly for the crack, the cammaderie, the travelling to away grounds, the punch ups, the piss ups, the football for the large majority of City fans, came a distant second. That changed over the years, however, as with all football clubs in general, the fan base is getting older and older, partly because of pricing, but also because, it's now a sanitised experience, there's no thrill for teenagers, no risk, it's just about what's on show on the pitch, which in most cases is dire, boring football, especially at our club under Slade :thumbup:

Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:44 pm

I'm glad the sound of the rain is on the roof and not on my head.
I'm glad there no punch ups.
I'm glad I don't feel the need to call the visiting fans a bunch of *****.
I'm glad we have a large stadium that can accommodate 30000 plus fans when it needs to.
I'm happy to attend a game after a few pints and not be pissed
I'm happy to be in a comfortable stadium with great facilities.
I'm glad the standard of players we have and the standard of games is higher than in the 80's and 90's
I'm glad that we are not consistently in the lowest divisions.
I'm glad that we are not playing in front of 3000 fans(I once thought we would never see a crowd over 4000 watching the City)
And I'm looking forward to our next home game!

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:47 pm

Totally agree the past is the past.love the new stadium just need the to team start winning.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:05 pm

I say time and again its all about winning and success these days when we were going up the match day experience despite the rebrand was good and in the Prem until it went pear shaped the club needs a big lift like a manager that the fans can relate to and the financial side of things is taken care of and we gather momentum and we are successful and progress that's the only way in my opinion. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:Singing etc has been in decline for ages, I am not so much bothered by that it's the fact we play in a large stadium which is only a third full. I appreciate most clubs don't sell out but it's far less noticeable at there grounds, ours is way too big for us. I said many times on here we shouldn't expand, that it would be stupid to do so and i've been proven correct. All we need is 20k (and I mean 20k fans there not the bullshit figures they announce) and it will be bareable.

Atmosphere may have decline across the country but none more so that ours and I honestly believe we now have one of the worst atmosphere in the league. Today was relatively big game for us, didn't feel like it.

Couldn't agree more with everything you just posted, very true very sad and a very bad period for the club. City has always been up and down. It is true what you say 20k would be decent, were lost in it at the moment. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:10 pm

The club has set out as soon as we moved into the CCS to destroy the atmosphere and it has done. Call the away fans cunts ? Well sorry you ain't even allowed to look at them now without the risk of being thrown out.
But just as much as that we have the new breed of fans that lets say is more civilised and want to sit watch the football and like the peace and quiet.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:I say time and again its all about winning and success these days when we were going up the match day experience despite the rebrand was good and in the Prem until it went pear shaped the club needs a big lift like a manager that the fans can relate to and the financial side of things is taken care of and we gather momentum and we are successful and progress that's the only way in my opinion. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

The match day experience the year we went up was shite. Sterile football and red shirts.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:26 pm

polo wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:I say time and again its all about winning and success these days when we were going up the match day experience despite the rebrand was good and in the Prem until it went pear shaped the club needs a big lift like a manager that the fans can relate to and the financial side of things is taken care of and we gather momentum and we are successful and progress that's the only way in my opinion. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

The match day experience the year we went up was shite. Sterile football and red shirts.

But it wasn't as bad as it is now.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 am

The whole match day experience for me has gone. I sat in the Ninian stand two games ago and noticed that everyone around me has an average age of 55 to 65. Says a lot for the atmosphere

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:38 am

Stringfellow wrote:

It's not a Ccfc problem it's a modern day football problem, when you go away most teams muster a single song. Football is dead my friend, sky has killed it :sad7:

Greed has ruined it!

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:53 am

MalagaCF wrote:The whole match day experience for me has gone. I sat in the Ninian stand two games ago and noticed that everyone around me has an average age of 55 to 65. Says a lot for the atmosphere

On Sunday Supplement yesterday they touched on this subject because of the Liverpool walk out.

They said theres a pic from the Holte End in Villa from the 80s and the whole stand was practially teenage boys in tracksuit tops (Casuals to you and I). You look at the age groups now and its over 40's. The teenagers have been priced out of the game.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Our ground is to big its as simple as that, should never have put the extra tier on, I said it at the time and its proved right.

12-13,000 is about right for us, the odd big crowd if we are doing well and a sell out if there is something on it. We struggled to sell out in the Premier League for a good few games, getting tickets was easy for most games, even the Man Utd game tickets were still on sale the morning of the game.

Should have kept it as it was, maybe even made it smaller at the start, this notion that we are a big club is bollocks, we got to big for our boots like always and the writing was always on the wall.

The only way they should have put that extra tier on was if there was a demand for it, there wasn't.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:32 pm

RV Casual wrote:Our ground is to big its as simple as that, should never have put the extra tier on, I said it at the time and its proved right.

12-13,000 is about right for us, the odd big crowd if we are doing well and a sell out if there is something on it. We struggled to sell out in the Premier League for a good few games, getting tickets was easy for most games, even the Man Utd game tickets were still on sale the morning of the game.

Should have kept it as it was, maybe even made it smaller at the start, this notion that we are a big club is bollocks, we got to big for our boots like always and the writing was always on the wall.

The only way they should have put that extra tier on was if there was a demand for it, there wasn't.

This ^ :sad7:

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:36 pm

RV Casual wrote:Our ground is to big its as simple as that, should never have put the extra tier on, I said it at the time and its proved right.

I think 22-25k would be perfect for us really, we need a bit of elbow room and we have proven we can sell out from time to time at that capacity in this league. I said many times expanding was a terrible idea as we don't sell out regularly enough and have enough season ticket holders to warrant that. People shot me down saying we need to have a big stadium to attract more fans. Well now that stand is a complete white elephant and I hate how it looms over the stadium. I can't see us ever selling out in the Championship and we will struggle for a lot of games in the Premiership too.