" 5 Reasons Marshall Should Be A Premier League Player "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby norms76 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:05 pm

David Marshall is without a doubt one of, if not the best goalkeeper in the Championship and has managed to keep the Bluebirds in almost every game so far this season.

The shot-stopper is producing an array of incredible saves in each game and one of the players that should definitely play in the the top tier of English football.

He has been capped by Scotland after taking the number one jersey from Allan McGregor, and has been linked with a move back to the Premier League, on several occasions since his stand-out Premier League campaign with the South Wales club.

Prior to making the move to South Wales under Dave Jones back in 2009, Marshall spent three years with Norwich after leaving Celtic where he was an academy graduate.

The Scot has been arguably the only bright light for the Bluebirds in recent seasons, and Cardiff are incredibly fortunate to have kept the 30-year-old at the club.

Despite this, it still seems weird that a Premier League club has not agreed a deal with the Championship club.

West Brom were very interested in pushing a deal over the line for Marshall before opting for forgotten Manchester United goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard.

Here are FIVE reasons why David Marshall should be a Premier League player……

1- He’s simply too good for the Championship
Marshall has shown in the last 3 seasons especially that he is far too good of a player to be playing in the second tier of English football.

In the Premier League season, arguably without the Scot the South Wales club would have relegated by March.

Last season Cardiff found themselves in a unexpected relegation battle where they eventually finished in mid-table, although without Marshall, things could have been much worse for a Bluebirds side that at one point couldn’t buy a win.

And now this season once again, Marshall has been the outstanding Bluebirds player with the exception of Fabio, and has kept the club in several games this season which is potentially the reason why Cardiff are just a whisker away from the play-offs, which shows that Marshall is too good of a player for the Championship and should be playing in the top flight alongside the likes of Cech and De Gea.

2- Consistency
Marshall has shown since his time in South Wales that he is an incredibly consistent goalkeeper and rarely has an off-game so to speak.

Marshall’s ability has been praised by many pundits and fans around the English game, and he has come on a long way since his career at both Celtic and Norwich.

He is the type of goalkeeper that the back line can always rely on if the defence were to make a mistake.

Marshall is highly likely to get his team out of a hole on a consistent basis.

Premier League goalkeepers need to be consistent because clubs need a goalkeeper that can perform on a weekly basis, and ensure they remain in the top-flight because of the extensive TV money that is up for grabs at the moment.

3- Leadership
Marshall was handed the armband by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer last season following the exit of former Tottenham defender Steven Caulker, and is constantly in communication with the back line and is an imposing, and at times aggressive figure during set pieces.

This leadership shows that the Scot, is able to command the entire team from his box and with goalkeepers that have a special presence in the area in short supply, Marshall would be a advantageous signing for any of the 20 Premier League teams.

4- International football
The 30-year-old has played in a variety of first team games for the Scottish national team, featuring more frequently since joining the South Wales club.

Marshall has also represented Scotland B and Scotland U21.

Facing fierce competition from Hull City’s Allan McGregor who will be hoping to return to the Premier League himself, means that Marshall may need to be playing in the Premier League to ensure that he keeps his place for the World cup qualifiers which may force a deal over the line.

5- Experience
Marshall has played in the majority of Cardiff City’s Championship games so far this season only missing out due to a number of suspensions.

Alongside this, Marshall has received three man of the match awards in the last three games which allowed Cardiff to secure victories and points out of matches where they probably didn’t deserve it.

He has represented Scotland at a variety of levels, represented Norwich City and also represented his local team Celtic, where he made is debut against Barcelona and has featured within the Champions League.

He has stacked up a lot of experience in his career, making him a player with experience of many levels of football.

I am sure that any club would happily take Marshall although the only question would be that Is Marshall prepared to leave South Wales where he is settled and content.
norms76

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: 5 Reasons Marshall Should Be A Premier League Player

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:24 pm

I really hope we can keep him, I would turn down anything under £5 mill :ayatollah:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby nobby » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:27 pm

I will be stunned if we keep hold of him in January. Has made some superb saves the last few games to so he will be well and truly sought after. :bluebird:
nobby

Postby Davedingbluebird » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:55 pm

As previously stated in previous threads I think Marshall will give us the remainder if the season out of loyalty and if no promotion then will b gone.

Annis I wouldn't take less than £12m
Davedingbluebird

Postby lathamgaffney » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:18 pm

We would be a lot further down the table if it wasn't for his incredible saves!

We need to do everything we can to keep him. He's that important. Best goalkeeper in the Championship. Could easily be the number 1 at a top 10 Premier League team. :thumbright:

Thank God for Marshall. :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
09/01/2015 - The Rebirth of the Bluebirds

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LathamGaffney
lathamgaffney

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I really hope we can keep him, I would turn down anything under £5 mill :ayatollah:

Agree :thumbup:
TopCat CCFC

Re: " 5 Reasons Marshall Should Be A Premier League Player "

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:26 pm

He won't go anywhere unless he's garaunteed 1St choice at a club, to good to be a no2! :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Gaynor Straight » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:11 am

As long as Mrs Marshall has her say then I can't see him going anywhere. If he's gonna play with anyone in the Premier league then it'll be with us
Gaynor Straight

Postby Pulisnewport » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:41 am

He will be in January :sladeout:
Pulisnewport

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:15 am

'Anything under 5 million'

What would be the point in that? We would slip down the league this season and next and would be £145million in debt instead of £150 million in debt - or whatever.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Return to General Chat