Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The true test of Slade as a manager

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:13 pm

We can moan about losing 2-0 all we like. That's the only real BAD result we've had for quite some time - If we're honest.-Yeah, we draw 0-0 too many times, but is that the managers fault? I don't think so.

There's only so much a manager can do, we've "almost" scored loads of times, and for some reason we insist that we never get chances and our midfield should be helping the attack out more?

Do we subliminally forget the Tap In that Ameobi missed a few weeks ago? Or Joe masons terrible finishing a few matches in the season (even though we won the game) we could have won it by 1 or 2 more goals. We forget set piece headers from Connolly that he has missed about 3 times (3 potential goals). We forget how easy Mason goes down in the box looking for a penalty which has no right to be given, when instead he could have tried to carry on and score.

Our main concern other than the striker(s) is the crosses, which isn't neccersarily the midfields fault. I think Malone has had way more crosses average per game than any other city player, and his crosses are famously BAD, often going straight out of play.

However, it is painfully obvious now that our midfield cannot function with whittingham in the middle with somebody else such as Dichachoi or gunnarson who can't particularly run very far or very fast for that matter. That's leaving our 2 midfielders centrally unable to keep up with the play wether it's attacking or defending. That's where ralls comes in.

Ralls needs to start in the middle, and despite what popular opinions are about Whittingham, him alone is not the problem. I think Whittingham would play very well with Ralls in the middle because there will be width and energy in the middle instead of the normal 2 slow -late to the party- central midfielders.

This Saturday against Burnley is going to behe REAL test where we find out what kind of manager we have. If he does ALL of the following 3 then I'll be all for :sladeout:
1: Ralls out wide with whittingham in the middle.
2: Same 442 formation
3: Starts mason (Not neccersaerily his fault, but I think the new kid needs to start to give something for Cardiff fans to look forward to.

If he does all of the above, then get him out.

Fair enough, if he sticks to 442 but plays Ralls in the middle, then there's an improvement and it means Slade isn't just a stubborn person. We'll see.

I will definitely be either :sladeout: or :sladein: based on our tactics, performance, and result on Saturday. For the first time.

Re: The true test of Slade as a manager

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Slade needs to stop putting Whitts in the middle and put Ralls and Gunnar in that's all he needs to do to make his 442 work.