Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is Slade in awe of Championship sides

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:23 am

He always seems to praise the opposition, and I think often pays them too much respect. As he has only previously managed small lower league sides, he appears to view our opponents as mega big teams. Does he forget that although we may not be one of the giants of British football, we are not the minnows that he is more used to coaching. Perhaps he should concentrate a bit more on our strengths instead of trying to cancel out our opponents strengths all the time. After all, we are on a par or better than many of the sides in this division.

Re: Is Slade in awe of Championship sides

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:28 am

Tbh he is just the wrong guy to manage a football team.

He should change formation etc. but hasn't a clue.

Nice guy but so much out of his comfort zone its unreal.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:35 am

Slade is a small fish in a big pond.

He's at his level with a league 2 club, direct 4-4-2 shitty football.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:38 am

NIBluebird wrote:Tbh he is just the wrong guy to manage a football team.

He should change formation etc. but hasn't a clue.

Nice guy but so much out of his comfort zone its unreal.

On the plus side we are on track to reach the magic 50 points target with ten games or so to spare, so we should comfortably stay well away from the relegation battle. I think a mid table finish is within reach which I guess will satisfy our owner, especially given the way costs have had to be slashed this season.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:00 am

Let him go in the summer, find someone more forward thinking. We've still got a squad that doesn't need too much investment from a manager that knows what he's doing.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:09 am

nubbsy wrote:Let him go in the summer, find someone more forward thinking. We've still got a squad that doesn't need too much investment from a manager that knows what he's doing.

Agreed, but a lot of posters on this forum who defend Slade don't seem to pick this up. We do already have a reasonable squad, but Slade falls way too short in making the best of what we have. Instead of bringing in yet another mediocre striker, Slade could have first tried 4-5-1 with attacking players like Ameobi, Ralls,Dikgacoi, Kennedy and Noone in the midfield. But that's not going to happen unfortunately.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 am

SWilliams wrote:
nubbsy wrote:Let him go in the summer, find someone more forward thinking. We've still got a squad that doesn't need too much investment from a manager that knows what he's doing.

Agreed, but a lot of posters on this forum who defend Slade don't seem to pick this up. We do already have a reasonable squad, but Slade falls way too short in making the best of what we have. Instead of bringing in yet another mediocre striker, Slade could have first tried 4-5-1 with attacking players like Ameobi, Ralls,Dikgacoi, Kennedy and Noone in the midfield. But that's not going to happen unfortunately.

Given his lack of experience of manging at this level, is it possible that the people responsible for appointing him knew of his probable shortcomings, but were satisfied that he could achieve their targets, and actually shows a lack of true ambition by those running the club.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:58 pm

He builds them up everytime, god knows why other than it makes him feel better after we lose.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
SWilliams wrote:

Given his lack of experience of manging at this level, is it possible that the people responsible for appointing him knew of his probable shortcomings, but were satisfied that he could achieve their targets, and actually shows a lack of true ambition by those running the club.

That's exactly right, he was employed to stop the rot and cut the budget - that's no secret. And does it show lack of ambition on the field? yes... But we need a sustainable club first and foremost Which is why I will praise slade for what he's done and especially under the conditions. but now our squad is smaller and more sustainable we need to push on.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
SWilliams wrote:

That's exactly right, he was employed to stop the rot and cut the budget - that's no secret. And does it show lack of ambition on the field? yes... But we need a sustainable club first and foremost Which is why I will praise slade for what he's done and especially under the conditions. but now our squad is smaller and more sustainable we need to push on.

That's pretty much how I've seen it since the day he was appointed. I have not been too critical of him as I believe he is doing his best, and is an honest and genuine person. I think he has his limitations, and while he is probably capable of meeting the owner's expectations, is never going to take the club any further than it is right now. I honestly believe that those at the top were looking for stability in this division, and nothing more when they appointed Slade. I am convinced that he is here for at least this season, but hopefully once our finances are in some sort of reasonable order, the club will be in a position to push on and show some serious ambition as far as promotion is concerned. This would definitely mean we would have to look to someone other than Slade.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
SWilliams wrote:

That's pretty much how I've seen it since the day he was appointed. I have not been too critical of him as I believe he is doing his best, and is an honest and genuine person. I think he has his limitations, and while he is probably capable of meeting the owner's expectations, is never going to take the club any further than it is right now. I honestly believe that those at the top were looking for stability in this division, and nothing more when they appointed Slade. I am convinced that he is here for at least this season, but hopefully once our finances are in some sort of reasonable order, the club will be in a position to push on and show some serious ambition as far as promotion is concerned. This would definitely mean we would have to look to someone other than Slade.

Spot on.