Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" JONES V MALKY V OLE V SLADE ". your thoughts?????

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:17 pm

Dave Jones was the last manager whose teams I liked watching, whilst Malky was the most successful, but the last TWO have been unacceptable.

Two years ago in January as we sat at the top of the Championship I said to a colleague in work how dire the football was!!!! I told him we were about the SIXTH or SEVENTH best team and the only reason we were top was Malky had the fittest and most organised side in the division lumping balls up front hoping to gain a set piece.

The Football under Malky was CARP but we allowed it because we were TOP of the league!!
The only difference between then and now was Malky had the team set up better to counter attack and we had goal scorers!!!

JONES...exciting football but underachieved and failed to get promoted. Plenty of money spent.
MALKY...boring football but we scored goals and overachieved. Plenty of money wasted.
OLE......unpredictable. Wasted money
SLADE...dire football, no goals. Slashed wage bill but sh/t signings.

After 17 games....(last season in charge)
Jones WON 11, DREW 3, LOST 3, SCORED 33, CONCEDED 16. POINTS 36
Malky WON 11, DREW 1, LOST 5, SCORED 34, CONCEDED 23. POINTS 34
Ole WON 6, DREW 5, LOST 6, SCORED 21, CONCEDED 17. POINTS 23
Slade WON 6, DREW 7, LOST 4, SCORED 17, CONCEDED 14. POINTS 25

So where are the six teams I said were better than us when we were promoted as champions now..
1. CARDIFF...........9th in the Championship
2. HULL...............1st in the Championship
3. WATFORD.........13th in the Premier
4. BRIGHTON.........2nd in the Championship
5. PALACE............10th in the Premier
6. LEICESTER........1st in the Premier
7. BOLTON...........24th in the Championship

Off the field Slade had done a remarkable job in slashing the wage bill but his problem lies on the field, his
signings are very poor and his tactics are league one. He has been unlucky with injuries!!!

We know Tan wont sack him until May so hopefully we can retain as many of our better assets as we can for the next guy
to come and utilise to the best of thier abilities and not waste any more money on his inept signings!!!

Re: JONES V MALKY V OLE V SLADE. your thoughts?????

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Problem with Jones was we would win 3-0 when it didn't matter but lose 3-0 when it did.

I agree that the football was ten times better to watch under Jones and considering everything including the financial circumstances under which he operated he probably was the best of a quite an ordinary bunch.

Re: " JONES V MALKY V OLE V SLADE ". your thoughts?????

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Jones football with Malkys attitude and tactics with Oles media reputation

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Malky > Jones > Slade > farmyard animals > Ole.

Malky pushed us over the line, in a tougher division than usual. His big money signings (bar Cornelius) recouped or made us money and we had a fighting chance of staying up until the moron that is OGS took over. Slade has had a tough job but at least he's undid most of the damage Solksjaer did. We won't ever do anything under Slade though, the football and we aren't built to nick 1-0s like we were under Malky.

The football under Jones was the best but we were weak mentally, if you could combine Mackay's spine with Jones' flair you'd have a hell of a side (hard to do, I know!).

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Malky was light years ahead of any of them as a football manager. I believe their was no joy in those seasons except in the results, it was professional, dour and bloody effective. He understood the modern game and player.The premier season exposed his limitations though and the lack of experience around the club amplified that. We can't go back, but need to learn, but we haven't, we still haven't got a decent administrator at the senior level.

Ole must have learnt a lot for his 10 months with us. I would love to read his thoughts about what he would do different. As a tactician i think he could see the changes he needed to make very very quickly, but left his options in the stand in favour of his rotation policy.

Jones realized its only a game, life had taught him that, so he went for it. There was joy during his tenure although he couldn't control the players and allowed their little "excesses". His version of a 442 had players in their real positions. He did love a name though, but it was part of the romance.

Slade understands the lower levels of the game but never the top end. He should be thanked as he steadied a ship that was sinking, but its time to say goodbye. A few more players need to leave for him to complete his task though.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Quote: "JONES...exciting football but underachieved and failed to get promoted. Plenty of money spent."

Sorry, fella, but you blew your whole thread away just with that single line! :roll:

Jones (not everyone's cup of tea) achieved a lot with what he had and the money he (didn't) have to spend!

Malky was technically "the most successful" but look at what he had at his disposal and what lied beneath!

Ole? Well, personally I would have liked to see what happened over a season. We couldn't have ended up any worse than we did on the playing front!

Slade? Has done the job Tan expected and is flirting with the play-offs thanks (in large) to the ineptitude of other clubs to put a run together in a tight league. Won't take us to the 'next level' but cannot be seen as a failure under the circumstances either

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Jones: Not my favourite manager as I believe he had the best squad we ever had for the league we were in. His football was one day exceptional the next day dreadful. Just as dreadful as what we witnessed yesterday. No consistency that cost us a couple of promotions.

Malky: Business football at its best. It got us promoted and I believe could have kept us in the premier. His strength was when we went on a bad run he could quickly turn it around. It all went wrong when Tan questioned Malkys signings as we settled in the premier. The Cornelious signing was perhaps his downfall. The relationship was broken between Tan and Malky and there was no fixing it even with the intervention of Dalman. Sadly Malky has to go and the result was disasterous.

Ole: Brought in to suit the ego of the owner. Big name to make my club look big but what a big mistake by him. We needed the experience like Pulis under the circumstances but went for the opposite.

Slade: Cannot join in with the criticism he gets because he was brought in to sort out a different agenda to the rest. He has not has the support because he is working for a boss who has no interest in our club. His mission is to cut the budget and keep us in the Championship. His job is safe if he does that. So in a way he is doing the better of the 3 above.

My vote goes for Slade providing he gets us in a position where Tan can sell and go.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Sven wrote:Quote: "JONES...exciting football but underachieved and failed to get promoted. Plenty of money spent."

Sorry, fella, but you blew your whole thread away just with that single line! :roll:

Jones (not everyone's cup of tea) achieved a lot with what he had and the money he (didn't) have to spend!

Malky was technically "the most successful" but look at what he had at his disposal and what lied beneath!

Ole? Well, personally I would have liked to see what happened over a season. We couldn't have ended up any worse than we did on the playing front!

Slade? Has done the job Tan expected and is flirting with the play-offs thanks (in large) to the ineptitude of other clubs to put a run together in a tight league. Won't take us to the 'next level' but cannot be seen as a failure under the circumstances either

Jones still had a much bigger budget than Slade currently has. Jones was able to bring in Chopra, Koumas, Fowler, Hasselbaink and Sinclair on big wages. I agree with the OP that Jones spent quite a bit of money and the money could have been better spent going on more efficient players with the correct character ahead of big named mercenaries.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:49 pm

We were a good footballing side under Jones but wasn't consistent and he struggled when the going got tough and yes he underachieved.

Malky was results based football as long as we won thats all that mattered it was until the premiership when we became sick of it and not winning games but no doubt his signings when we got promoted was his downfall but his tenure overall is a success a cup final and a promotion. :thumbright:

Ole was brought in purely on his Man U connections and he tinkered the team dropped players who played well the previous game and the players looked clueless under him and they were unfit and wass on 4 mill a year :shock: he had to go should've went the moment we were relegated.

Slade a lower league expert manager it was a big chance for him to step up here he only came into to do a certain job and thats to cut the wage bill and i gave him chances time and again and i have concluded that he is a negative manager who will die by his 442 and not get the best out of players and will not move with the times but he is doing what asked to do.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:Quote: "JONES...exciting football but underachieved and failed to get promoted. Plenty of money spent."

Jones still had a much bigger budget than Slade currently has. Jones was able to bring in Chopra, Koumas, Fowler, Hasselbaink and Sinclair on big wages. I agree with the OP that Jones spent quite a bit of money and the money could have been better spent going on more efficient players with the correct character ahead of big named mercenaries.

In comparison to Malky and Ole he (Jones) had a relatively small budget and got us close before Tan came in

In my opinion, Jones would also have 'achieved' the dream had he stayed. Indeed, it appears that Tan later regretted his decision and tried to get Jones back; although admittedly the Malky situation itself probably played a big part in that! :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Sven wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

In comparison to Malky and Ole he (Jones) had a relatively small budget and got us close before Tan came in

In my opinion, Jones would also have 'achieved' the dream had he stayed. Indeed, it appears that Tan later regretted his decision and tried to get Jones back; although admittedly the Malky situation itself probably played a big part in that! :ayatollah:

Overall, Jones did a great job in raising the profile of our club. If we didn't have to continuously sell our best players and kept hold of Ramsey, Collins, Gabbidon etc, I have no doubt Jones would have taken us into the Premiership.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Jones didn't have much money at the start but he spent 1 mil on Hudson 4 mil on chops was able to bring Bellamy and olifangana in on loan. From are last season in ninan park we were known for paying high wages and Jones himself was on a wack probably only ole earnt more.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Dave Jones easily.

Anyone saying he underachieved is clueless. He overachieved considering during his time as manager he also made us net £20m in profit through his transfer activity. Are we really going to pretend he had it all easy at the club and underachieved? What world are people living in? He kept us up there fighting with a side in financial turmoil off the pitch, disruptive club politics and having to sell players and rotate the squad often. He did an incredible job at the club.

Dave Jones summed up:

1) kept us competitive in all competitions
2) made us profit through his transfer activities
3) did this given the financial and political situation at the club

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:03 pm

balkanblue wrote:Dave Jones easily.

Anyone saying he underachieved is clueless. He overachieved considering during his time as manager he also made us net £20m in profit through his transfer activity. Are we really going to pretend he had it all easy at the club and underachieved? What world are people living in? He kept us up there fighting with a side in financial turmoil off the pitch, disruptive club politics and having to sell players and rotate the squad often. He did an incredible job at the club.

Dave Jones summed up:

Hear hear pal hear f*cking hear, lets be honest if jones had the money what the last pair before slade had then he would of took us up to but like jones said after he left he done a sky sports game on us and said live on air about his time with us and I quote " CARDIFF WANTED IT ALL ON THE CHEAP at the time and wished he had been given what malky had in his time here at the club " :bluescarf:

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:

Dave Jones summed up:

Hear hear pal hear f*cking hear, lets be honest if jones had the money what the last pair before slade had then he would of took us up to but like jones said after he left he done a sky sports game on us and said live on air about his time with us and I quote " CARDIFF WANTED IT ALL ON THE CHEAP at the time and wished he had been given what malky had in his time here at the club " :bluescarf:

Wonder where the £20 million went.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:

Dave Jones summed up:

Wonder where the £20 million went.

Unforeseen debts like the golden ticket scam money. Who knows :laughing6:

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:15 pm

I never liked Dave Jones but overall he did a decent job for us however he messed up in his last 2 seasons when he should have got us up

Malky is by far the Best we had over the kast 40 years, took us to the Promised land and in my opinion would have kept us there.
Had he been given a chance to finish what he had started then we would not be in the mess we aew in now.

All I day about the other 2 is Circus and clowns :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Personally I wouldn't have any of them.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Easily Jones for entertainment. The start to that season where we were top until some time in November was 3 months of probably the best football i have ever seen us play and for that reason alone he gets my vote - yeh Malky got us up but boy it was boring 90% of the time. Ole lost the plot and under Slade we are playing some of the most unattractive football for years. Been supporting since late 60's and not sure how much longer i can put up with our current style - indeed except for the occasional game its been boring for last 3 seasons and at moment shows no signs of improving.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Jones everytime
got us Jay,Ross,Burkie etc .
worked on a peanuts budget
if he had malkys budget we would still be n the premier league :sladeout:

Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:08 pm

petesmeat wrote:Malky > Jones > Slade > farmyard animals > Ole.

Malky pushed us over the line, in a tougher division than usual. His big money signings (bar Cornelius) recouped or made us money and we had a fighting chance of staying up until the moron that is OGS took over. Slade has had a tough job but at least he's undid most of the damage Solksjaer did. We won't ever do anything under Slade though, the football and we aren't built to nick 1-0s like we were under Malky.

The football under Jones was the best but we were weak mentally, if you could combine Mackay's spine with Jones' flair you'd have a hell of a side (hard to do, I know!).

This post has saved me posting. Spot on :thumbup:

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:03 pm

If Jones had Malky's budget we would have got up and been competitive in the Prem. He assembled one of our best squads ever whilst having to sell players every year.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:57 pm

MM - The best then DJ - OGS - The worst by far.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:28 am

Dave Jones summed up:

Anyone who has to slaughter and insult the opinions of others just to get their own point over, simply losses credibility and appear to be completely arrogant :roll:

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Complete rubbish about Malky's signings.

Kenny Miller 750k 25k a week free transfer.
Kim 2.5 million 20k a week free transfer.
Theophile Catherine 3.5 million 25k a week. Gonna be released.
Fillip Kiss 500k 10k a week. Gonna be released.
Nicky Maynard 2.5 million 25k a week. Released.
Velikonja 2 million 15k a week. Gonna be released.

And as you mentioned Andreas 'one for the future' Cornelius.

That's partly why debt is so high.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Dave Jones summed up:

Anyone who has to slaughter and insult the opinions of others just to get their own point over, simply losses credibility and appear to be completely arrogant :roll:

You've just done the same thing. You called me completely arrogant, an insult and an obvious attempt to belittle someone of whom you often go after because you have a chip on your shoulder (sad), in an attempt to get your point across. What a whopper.

:laughing5: :laughing5:

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:27 pm

maccydee wrote:

The majority of those players contributed to getting us to a cup final and the Premiership. We benefitted massively financially from Malky's reign and we are still benefitting from the parachute payments now.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:45 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Malky was light years ahead of any of them as a football manager. I believe their was no joy in those seasons except in the results, it was professional, dour and bloody effective. He understood the modern game and player.The premier season exposed his limitations though and the lack of experience around the club amplified that. We can't go back, but need to learn, but we haven't, we still haven't got a decent administrator at the senior level.

Ole must have learnt a lot for his 10 months with us. I would love to read his thoughts about what he would do different. As a tactician i think he could see the changes he needed to make very very quickly, but left his options in the stand in favour of his rotation policy.

Jones realized its only a game, life had taught him that, so he went for it. There was joy during his tenure although he couldn't control the players and allowed their little "excesses". His version of a 442 had players in their real positions. He did love a name though, but it was part of the romance.

Slade understands the lower levels of the game but never the top end. He should be thanked as he steadied a ship that was sinking, but its time to say goodbye. A few more players need to leave for him to complete his task though.

I totally agree with all that!

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:

The majority of those players contributed to getting us to a cup final and the Premiership. We benefitted massively financially from Malky's reign and we are still benefitting from the parachute payments now.

Not really none of those players actually had that much of an impact but if we are counting cup finals lets factor in DJ and his FA cup final and raising our profile considerably.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:38 pm

maccydee wrote:

Velikonja was bought by Tan not Malky Nicky Maynard had a bad injury and never recovered , Kim was wasted away by Slade, Catherine was release by OGS Kenny Miller got us to a Cup Final Kiss £500K wow that is a lot of money, and yes you are right about Cornelius but he is not the only manager to buy a dud, Malky is by far the best manager we have had, :ayatollah: :ayatollah: