' Cardiff City director Steve Borley '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:56 pm

Historic Llanrumney Hall to get £1m facelift thanks to Cardiff City director's backing

7 OCT 2015

BY RUTH MOSALSKI

Llanrumney Hall is to be refurbished and transformed into an education and sporting facility

Llanrumney Hall on Ball Road Llanrumney

An historic building is in for a £1m facelift after its refurbishment was backed by businessman and Cardiff City director Steve Borley.

Llanrumney Hall will be refurbished and transformed into a community education and sporting facility.

Funding will be provided from House of Sport, backed by Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan and board member Mr Borley.

It will be run by a community trust.

More: The pubs that put the city on the map more than 200 yeas ago

The Grade II-listed building was owned by the Morgan family, whose ancestral home was Tredegar House in Newport.

Community plans
Llanrumney Hall was home to five generations of the family, the most notorious being Sir Henry Morgan – a pirate, buccaneer and admiral of the Royal Navy – who was born there in 1635.

But it has become neglected in recent years.

Now, former Bluebirds chairman Mr Borley - who runs Cardiff-based business CMB Engineering - is teaming up with the city’s council to bring the hall back to life.

Llanrumney Hall development plans on display at the site
The roof has been replaced and as part of the first phase of the development the building will be refurbished to a lettable standard.

Plans are also in place for a second phase which will see an adjoining 4G sport pitch and new changing facilities.

That is dependent on further funding being secured.

'Magnificent history' :ayatollah:

Cardiff council leader Phil Bale said: “By working closely with the investor in this scheme, this dilapidated listed building, which is in council ownership, will be transformed into a community facility for Cardiff residents.

“There is a magnificent history to this building, rumour has it is the burial place for the last Welsh Prince of Wales – Llywelyn ap Gruffyd.

“Now we want this historical building to take on a new role, so we can retain the architecture and history while making the future use of the facility relevant and useful for the residents of Llanrumney, so they can enjoy it for future generations.“

Mr Borley, the group managing director of CMB Engineering said: “The signing of the lease for the Llanrumney Hall now starts another exciting chapter in the history of the building.

“I hope we can add something significant to the area by harnessing the goodwill of the residents and youth of Llanrumney with the investment in the community by House of Sport.”
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Cardiff City director Steve Borley '

Postby Rydogsccfc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:58 pm

:ayatollah: :bluebird:
On 13th December 2016 one man stood up to be counted against a pack of Wolves his name was Kenneth Zohore.
Rydogsccfc

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:18 pm

My old hunting ground! Brought up in Dickens ave, spent many a happy day going thru woods and down that steep hill at 90 mph on home made Bogey! :laughing6:
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:32 pm

Good News About time things were done down there - Those kids ridding their motorbikes on that grass down there need to find somewhere else to have their fun ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby LoneRanger44 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:44 pm

I was there on Tuesday to watch Llanrumney train. The pub is open on the side of the building - also it has a fully kicked out gym - which not many people know and membership is cheap about £5 u can go into the pub and sign up something think it's about £20 a year. Am baffled why it isn't used more.

Once this place is finished. Going to look amazing. Looking forward to using the place. So anybody leaving in the area or interested in playing rugby come down Llanrumney hall. Tuesday 6-7 or Thursday 6-7 training. In division 3 C. Llanrumney rugby club has a lot of potential. Let's hope the community will get behind the boys. Who week in week out put their heart and soul into the club. But there is so much we can do to take this fantastic club to the next level.
LoneRanger44

Postby LoneRanger44 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:51 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Good News About time things were done down there - Those kids ridding their motorbikes on that grass down there need to find somewhere else to have their fun ;)

Agree the noise is doing my head in at times. If they not on the top of the hill or going round the grass by alongside the rugby pitch or racing up the roads. Alone day somebody will get hurt. Surely we could build a motorcross track u on the hill most by some ground we can use so they can harnis their skills
LoneRanger44

Postby mr'mogreenz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:06 pm

One of the most toughest pubs in the UK in its day, no doubt about it. I've seen some violent episodes in that place, and I mean PROPER VIOLENCE lol the goodies up the top of llanrumney was bad enough, but the llanrumney hall took it to a whole new level. The place would go through stages.....it would be dead for month's, and then all of a sudden it would go through a lively stage, and when it was lively, I challenge anyone to find a pub that was crazier than that place. Glad to see it getting a new lease of life....shame it couldn't go back to the way it was during the 90s ect....fuking legendary colourful pub in its day :thumbup:
mr'mogreenz

Postby rhondda 1015 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:25 pm

Been in there a few times for a pint, does this mean it's not a Pub anymore?
VALLEY LEAFLETS, TONYPANDY,RCT--A RELIABLE DISTRIBUTION SERVICE FOR YOUR LEAFLETS/BUSINESS CARDS/BROCHURES ETC...

SECOND TIME AROUND
RECORD SHOP
TONYPANDY
RCT
CF40 1QD
rhondda 1015

Postby mymucker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:16 pm

Anyone remember the Chez Wen club on Newport Road opp old Police station?
mymucker

Postby T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:My old hunting ground! Brought up in Dickens ave, spent many a happy day going thru woods and down that steep hill at 90 mph on home made Bogey! :laughing6:

Did you know Ged and Michael (Bruno),Brain Jefferys (Spot)and the Murphys Anthony and Paul also the Mason family ?
Bless em All, Bless em All, the long and the short and the tall
Bless Freddie Davies and bless Peter King bless Barrie Jones as he skips down the wing.
T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY

Postby bluespeers » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:51 pm

mymucker wrote:Anyone remember the Chez Wen club on Newport Road opp old Police station?

Sure do, what a place, now it is my local, Monkstone Inn, :ayatollah:
bluespeers

Postby bluespeers » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:55 pm

pembroke allan wrote:My old hunting ground! Brought up in Dickens ave, spent many a happy day going thru woods and down that steep hill at 90 mph on home made Bogey! :laughing6:

Not to mention the snow and sleighing down that hill and hitting the gardens in the houses at the bottom, great old pub lots of people tried to make a go of it but none could keep it trouble free, so good luck with this new venture, if this doesn't work nothing will :bluescarf:
bluespeers

Postby Johnny Boy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:09 am

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:

Did you know Ged and Michael (Bruno),Brain Jefferys (Spot)and the Murphys Anthony and Paul also the Mason family ?

Know all the above unfortunately Bruno not with us rip llanrumney born bred lived behind ball rd flats my parents still there used hall from 17 until Malcolm Robinson had it but haven't had a drink since :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Johnny Boy

Postby Johnny Boy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:12 am

mymucker wrote:Anyone remember the Chez Wen club on Newport Road opp old Police station?

Used to be called Madison Sq Gardens due to all the punch ups but what a place :D :D :D
Johnny Boy

Postby Johnny Boy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:14 am

bluespeers wrote:

:bluebird:

Are you Paul or David Speers from Bideford Rd ? :D
Johnny Boy

Postby Johnny Boy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:17 am

bluespeers wrote:

Johnny Boy

Postby Johnny Boy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:17 am

Used to be called Madison Sq Gardens due to all the punch ups but what a place :D :D :D
Johnny Boy

Postby T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:34 am

Johnny Boy wrote:

Used to be called Madison Sq Gardens due to all the punch ups but what a place :D :D :D[/ :thumbup:
Bless Freddie Davies and bless Peter King bless Barrie Jones as he skips down the wing.
T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY

Postby T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:40 am

Johnny Boy wrote:
T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:

Know all the above unfortunately Bruno not with us rip llanrumney born bred lived behind ball rd flats my parents still there used hall from 17 until Malcolm Robinson had it but haven't had a drink since :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Yea I'm from Washford myself me and my brothers hung around with the Ged and Bruno and the Murphy's as kids use to play football on the field opposite Durleigh played till it got so dark you could not see the ball.
Ged took me to my first City game in 69 along with my brother, Bruno and Paul Murphy as I was only Eleven at the time Ged and my Brother who were close mates were 3 years older incidentally Ged was a very decent player albeit a little on the small side.
As mentioned Bruno who was a great laugh and a real nice kid passed away a few years ago he chocked to death on Christmas day at his mothers (Betty) Whom recently passed away herself, I bump into Ged occasionally from time to time but haven't seen any of the other lads who were a brilliant bunch of boys to grow up with .
T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:

Did you know Ged and Michael (Bruno),Brain Jefferys (Spot)and the Murphys Anthony and Paul also the Mason family ?[/quote

The Murphys ring bell must be around early 60s went to st cadocs infants junior school
pembroke allan

Postby bluespeers » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:10 am

Johnny Boy wrote:
bluespeers wrote:

David :bluescarf:
bluespeers

Return to General Chat