Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sir Alex Ferguson,Winston Churchill and Michael Jordan CCFC

Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:31 pm

How Sir Alex Ferguson, Winston Churchill and Michael Jordan are helping drive Cardiff City promotion dream

7 OCT 2015

BY TERRY PHILLIPS

Cardiff boss Russell Slade reveals how he is taking inspiration from legendary figures from sporting and political world

Russell Slade was appointed Cardiff City manager exactly a year ago.

To many Bluebirds fans, his appointment was a disaster and thousands are staying away from matches.

Many didn’t believe Slade would even last 12 months. However, slowly but surely he has evolved his Bluebirds and is making them realistic challengers for a top six finish in 2015-16.

One year on from his appointment, Slade has opened up to our man Terry Phillips in his most candid interview yet about what makes him, and his Bluebirds tick.

Sir Alex Ferguson, Winston Churchill, Michael Jordan... and Cardiff City boss Russell Slade.

It’s unlikely you would imagine Slade’s name mentioned in the same sentence as those sporting and political legends, but it’s a combination of the four that is behind the Bluebirds’ promotion dream this season.

Exactly one year ago, Slade took over as Cardiff manager.

It’s fair to say that many fans are still far from convinced about him. Gates are still significantly down after some of the dire fare that was on offer last season.

Kendall and Warnock inspiration :ayatollah:
However, Slade has been changing the Bluebirds’ style and developing a team he believes can genuinely challenge for promotion in 2015-16.

In his most revealing interview yet, he has revealed how those famous names from football, politics and basketball are helping to make him tick as he seeks to win over the doubters and deliver the Premier League dream again.

Others in his own profession who have provided inspiration are Everton’s former Division One winning manager Howard Kendall and Neil Warnock, who has had success in taking teams up from the Championship.

Kendall and Warnock were a huge influences on Slade’s career, after he worked with them at Notts County, the Cardiff boss saying: “Working with Howard was massive because of his man management and his ability to give a football club direction.

“Neil was the big motivator out all the coaches and managers I have worked with over the years.

“He took County into the top flight and his best work came at 10 minutes to three. He was exceptional, able to get every last drop of effort and energy from his team.

Sir Alex's Yeovil text :ayatollah:
“I’ve looked at Sir Alex Ferguson’s man-management. I see him as the kingpin of managers. When I lost my job at Yeovil he was the first one to text me.”

Slade does the talking himself just before Cardiff’s players go out before every game, saying: “Nothing is left to chance and I write my team talks down, although I don’t read them out.

Read more: The ex-Cardiff City goalkeeper now playing up front for Northern Ireland and dreaming of Euro 2016 glory

“I note down the points to put across, structure it properly and use key words we’ve used during the week when necessary.”

When it comes to football management and working with his squad, Slade puts a lot of confidence in his own man management style.

That, he insists, is ‘four fifths’ of a manager’s job, saying: “Man management is crucial, with motivation and understanding your players.

“If the body language of a player looks wrong, I want to know why. If they need to get anything off their chest, no matter what it is, then I encourage them to come into my office and talk.

Cardiff City news: Why Russell Slade has made inspirational dressing room posters in bid to motivate his players

“My door is always open. Any player can come in at any time and talk about anything. If they have a problem, on or off the pitch, I need to know about it.

“Even if it is ‘Why aren’t I in the team’? A problem shared is a problem halved.

'They can always speak to me'
“It may not even be a football matter, but we talk things through, discuss options. It’s important the players understand they can always speak to me.”

Slade also revealed how he likes to utilise phrases or statements from great sportsman and world leaders.

Among them are ‘A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step’, the words of Chinese philosopher Laozi.

He also uses the words of legendary American Football Super Bowl winning coach Vince Lombardi: “The man on top of a mountain didn’t fall there.’

Winston Churchill’s ‘We shall never surrender’ is another inspiration to Slade.

“Those with their backs to the wall - like Churchill - who are still positive and can find a way to win against the odds I find really intriguing,” he said.

“Michael Jordan in basketball, spurring himself on through the pain, with ‘Pain is temporary, but the feeling of defeat can last for good’. To go the extra mile is always important.

:ayatollah: " Will to win " :ayatollah:

“The game is not simply about tactics, the best formation or who has the better technical players. Sometimes it’s about that will to win.”

By the time Slade was officially appointed Cardiff manager last October he had already been in a consultancy role for a few weeks and watched the Bluebirds, under the guidance of caretaker managers Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon, in action.

On his office wall there is a chart picking out the factors he identified at that stage and was keen to improve.

“A year on we have made plenty of progress, but it’s true we still need to improve in many things and that work continues,” he says.

The manager’s office at Cardiff’s Vale of Glamorgan Resort has changed a lot since Slade came in. There are folders, carefully filed and kept in order by the club’s football secretary, on training programmes, match analysis on every fixture played by the Bluebirds, game plans, tactics, set plays and more.

Read more: Who is Cardiff City youngster Tommy O'Sullivan... and why does Wales' best young player not play for the Bluebirds?

“There wasn’t a folder in the manager’s room or anywhere,” said Slade. “There didn’t seem to be any reference points to look back. Today we keep a record of everything possible - and whether things worked or not.”

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson,Winston Churchill and Michael Jordan C

Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:47 pm

“There wasn’t a folder in the manager’s room or anywhere,” said Slade. “There didn’t seem to be any reference points to look back."

And this is why under Ole, we were a disorganised mess.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:“There wasn’t a folder in the manager’s room or anywhere,” said Slade. “There didn’t seem to be any reference points to look back."

And it shows that Slade is a good manager once again. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:44 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:“There wasn’t a folder in the manager’s room or anywhere,” said Slade. “There didn’t seem to be any reference points to look back."

Because he cleaned out his desk? :oops: Or are you actually so crazy you think the coaching team didn't keep notes? :lol:

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:

Because he cleaned out his desk? :oops: Or are you actually so crazy you think the coaching team didn't keep notes? :lol:

I think Russell Slade knows a lot more about management than you. Obviously, it was a shock to Slade, he wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

The way we were under Ole, I think it's you who's crazy for thinking Ole and his coaching staff actually did keep notes! :lol: