' Tommy O'Sullivan? ? ? ' Well worth reading

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Who is Cardiff City youngster Tommy O'Sullivan... and why does Wales' best young player not play for the Bluebirds?

6 OCT 2015

BY TERRY PHILLIPS

Cardiff City's Tommy O'Sullivan has been named Wales' young player of the year, so why haven't Bluebirds fans seen much of him?

How long does he have left on his contract?s
It runs out next summer - and that makes the current campaign crucial for him.

Tommy has told me: “Malky Mackay gave me first-team chances and I loved that, it didn’t faze me at all. I love playing first team football.

Amid the annual Gareth Bale procession at the FAW awards on Monday night there was one winner who would have got the interest of Cardiff City fans.

The moment came when Tommy O’Sullivan, a 20-year-old from Church Village, was crowned FAW Young Player of the Year.

So what's he all about? Why haven’t we seen O’Sullivan in Russell Slade’s Bluebirds’ first team?

How long has O’Sullivan been a Cardiff City player?

He first joined the Bluebirds 11 years ago, at the age of nine, and has always shown great potential as he moved through the age groups.

He also had a spell with Swansea, committing to the Bluebirds when signed forms at the age of 12 and has been at the club ever since.

But while Declan John kicked on and broke through, O’Sullivan’s career seemed to stall.

He is aged 20 and celebrates his 21st birthday in January.

What have Cardiff managers said about O’Sullivan?
2011: Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay was the one blowing bubbles after his Bluebirds debut in charge ended in a 1-0 win at West Ham
Malky Mackay described Tommy as ‘super-talented’ and said: “I have no doubt he will become a first team regular for this club.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer also tipped O’Sullivan to break through, while Russell Slade has noted the talent he has and is keen to see him go out on loan and gain more first team experience.

What sort of player is he?
Creative midfield player with an eye for a pass. Mackay told me on many occasions he felt Tommy had the talent to break through and play for Cardiff over many years.

He isn’t the quickest of midfield players, but has a superb touch, awareness and an ability to give himself time on the ball.

Energetic, box-to-box player who can pop up with goals.

Why haven’t we seen more of him?
He looked all set to become a first team squad regular during the 2012-13 season and Mackay slotted him in for two cup games.

But Tommy didn’t make the progress needed and his career stalled. It was a similar story for Theo Wharton, another gifted midfield player in Cardiff’s development squad.

It’s difficult to identify why he hasn’t kicked on over the last couple of seasons, but there is no doubting his talent.

Can O’Sullivan break through with Cardiff City or is it too late for him to follow the likes of Aaron Ramsey?

Absolutely he can still step up to the mark. There is no question he has the ability to carve out a professional playing career and he still has the hunger to push on. The key factor in O’Sullivan’s hopes could be the appointment of former Jamaican international Michael Johnson as under-21 team coach.

Johnson works closely with development team manager Kevin Nicholson and his experience will help the likes of O’Sullivan and Wharton push on in the quest to achieve their potential.

Has O’Sullivan been in the first team?
Yes, making three cup appearances. They were all off the bench, at Northampton and Macclesfield, both 2-1 defeats, during 2012-13 and against Coventry during a 2-1 win in 2014-15.

His longest appearances was against Northampton when he replaced the injured Stephen McPhail after 19 minutes.

Does O’Sullivan have any other first team experience?

He played in five Football League matches for Port Vale last season, playing 90 minutes during a 1-0 defeat at Rochdale. He also featured in wins against Walsall and Yeovil.

How much has he featured for Wales?
Tommy has played international football at all age levels up to and including under-21. He is currently in the under-21 squad, along with Declan John, preparing to play Denmark in Aalborg next Friday.

He has scored two goals in seven Wales Under-21 appearances.

He played for the under-17 team nine times, scoring once, and the under-19s seven times, firing six goal from midfield.

One of Tommy’s most memorable matches for Wales came when he was among eight Cardiff City players in the team who thumped England 4-0 in a Victory Shield Under-16 match at Haverfordwest. He scored the first Welsh goal, while John scored twice.

What is his current status with the Bluebirds?
Tommy is captain of Cardiff City’s Under-21 team, although he missed their 2-1 win against Bristol City this weekend because he is on international duty.

What is O’Sullivan’s own view?
Tommy has told me: “Malky Mackay gave me first-team chances and I loved that, it didn’t faze me at all. I love playing first team football.

“I am still striving to prove I can be part of the first-team squad.”

How long does he have left on his contract?
It runs out next summer - and that makes the current campaign crucial for him.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Tommy O'Sullivan? ? ? ' Well worth reading

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:41 pm

From FB

Neil Wixon, I find it a disgrace why tommy O sullivans can't get in the first team. Yes tan importing all these players from his sister club, where all our home grown talents gone the like of ledley James Collins Aaron ramsey Chris gunter, I don't think slade is not interested watching the under 21s myself

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby lathamgaffney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:52 pm

He should definitely have a place on the bench. Starting in cup games and getting some minutes at the end of matches. :ayatollah:

Central midfield we have: Peter Whittingham, Joe Ralls, Kagisho Dikgacoi and Aron Gunnarsson. Stuart O'keefe hasn't made an impact.

Not a great amount of options if injuries and suspensions occur. Never seen him play live myself but from what I've heard, he hasn't done much wrong.

Need some Welsh boys in the team and Tommy definitely deserves a place in the first team now that he's won the FAW Young Player of the Year and also the captain of the Development Squad. :bluescarf:

If we get promoted to the Premier League though (outside chance), he won't get a look in.
09/01/2015 - The Rebirth of the Bluebirds

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LathamGaffney
lathamgaffney

Postby troobloo3339 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:From FB

Neil Wixon,
I find it a disgrace why tommy O sullivans can't get in the first team. Yes tan importing all these players from his sister club, where all our home grown talents gone the like of ledley James Collins Aaron ramsey Chris gunter, I don't think slade is not interested watching the under 21s myself

Ffs all these players from sister clubs ,one at the moment and maybe one more hmmm,come on then chopsy niel who do you want to drop for him :sladein: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
troobloo3339

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Recent winners of this award include Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Adam Mathews, Joe Allen and Ben Davies. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:09 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:

Neil Wixon, I find it a disgrace why tommy O sullivans can't get in the first team. Yes tan importing all these players from his sister club, where all our home grown talents gone the like of ledley James Collins Aaron ramsey Chris gunter, I don't think slade is not interested watching the under 21s myself

Ffs all these players from sister clubs ,one at the moment and maybe one more hmmm,come on then chopsy niel who do you want to drop for him :sladein: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

And he (THINKS) Slade doesn't watch under 21s? What's with this clammer for this particular player at moment this is what 2nd 3rd thread bestowing the virtures of him?
pembroke allan

Postby JimmyJazz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:56 pm

He has got good touch but no pace - we've got CM with fabulous touch and no pace who are proven Championship winners in the team now.

Also - re: Malky's quote, remember he said Ben Nugent would be club captain one day... :oops:
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:57 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:

Neil Wixon,
I find it a disgrace why tommy O sullivans can't get in the first team. Yes tan importing all these players from his sister club, where all our home grown talents gone the like of ledley James Collins Aaron ramsey Chris gunter, I don't think slade is not interested watching the under 21s myself

Ask Neil on FB :D

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby ThomasC » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:

Neil Wixon,

Ask Neil on FB :D

I agree with Neil, the club pushing in a direction which the fans are not interested in tbh
ThomasC

Postby Rydogsccfc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:45 pm

I would like to see him at least on the bench in the coming months. :ayatollah:
On 13th December 2016 one man stood up to be counted against a pack of Wolves his name was Kenneth Zohore.
Rydogsccfc

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:54 pm

I was told last Saturday that Tommy O'Sullivan won't be renewing his contract with us. He was overheard saying he wants to play regular football, which is refreshing for a youngster to say these days. He said if we offer him a new contract, he will turn it down and move elsewhere. I don't blame him and I wish him well wherever he ends up in the future.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby llan bluebird » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:02 pm

playing regular football will mean going out on loan unless he try's his arm in the lower leagues.

A 20 year old CM in this league gets eaten alive. Johniesta got owned by Whitts last season when we played Ipswich.

Rambo as we all knew was on a totally different level to Ralls or O'Sullivan.

He stays, its a big nasty world out there.
llan bluebird

Postby tangledupinblue » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Was talking to an ex City scout at the Huddersfield game who told me he does some work for Man U now and knows Tommy and many of our other youngsters very well. I gave him my concerns of how theres no homegrown not even Welsh talent being given any opportunity at at Cardiff under the current regime, and how I hate the fact that the Welsh side is at a euphoric high and not one player in the squad is from the capital city side. I brought up O Sullivans name, as well as Tom James, Abdi Noor and a few others.

This guy spoke with authority and familiarity with all of these players, he basically said that they are better off on loan in the lower divisions learning their trade like Regan Poole who we ironically let go. He said the academy development squad is not working for these players.

All I know is that they look like they will head the same way as Josh Yorwerth without being given an opportunity to fight for the blue shirt (Declan aside). It bugs me big time we have no Welsh players in our squad, who are we singing men of harlech and anti english songs to? Ourselves? Oh of course the opposing fans, cos it makes no sense to sing it to our players.
tangledupinblue

Postby CardiffOz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:08 am

I would like to see O'Sullivan and Wharton go on loan to our sister club in Belgium. Far more technical and less rough and tumble than league 1 and 2 and still first team football. Playing abroad could also help with their maturity in getting some life experience. If a couple of them went at a time then it would lessen the homesickness/alone in a foreign country thing as well.
CardiffOz

Postby McNaughtyButNice » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:09 am

CardiffOz wrote:I would like to see O'Sullivan and Wharton go on loan to our sister club in Belgium. Far more technical and less rough and tumble than league 1 and 2 and still first team football. Playing abroad could also help with their maturity in getting some life experience. If a couple of them went at a time then it would lessen the homesickness/alone in a foreign country thing as well.

Agree with this :thumbup:
McNaughtyButNice

Postby llan bluebird » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:40 pm

CardiffOz wrote:I would like to see O'Sullivan and Wharton go on loan to our sister club in Belgium. Far more technical and less rough and tumble than league 1 and 2 and still first team football. Playing abroad could also help with their maturity in getting some life experience. If a couple of them went at a time then it would lessen the homesickness/alone in a foreign country thing as well.

good call
llan bluebird

Postby Rydogsccfc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:58 pm

llan bluebird wrote:

good call

:thumbup:
FostersBeer_1807449a.jpg
FostersBeer_1807449a.jpg (30.7 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
On 13th December 2016 one man stood up to be counted against a pack of Wolves his name was Kenneth Zohore.
Rydogsccfc

Return to General Chat