Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Vince Alm ' Tonight

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:51 pm

By Vince Alm

Very positive meeting tonight would like to thank everyone who turned up for this first meeting with some great ideas. we will issue full notes on the meeting during the next few days.
now it's time to stop talking and do some action. can supporters from the canton or supporters from other areas who are who are interested in being part of a lead group of fans meeting early before home matches to think of new songs and ideas for improving the atmosphere based on european ultra type support please contact me or inbox me
also any drummers out there willing to take part and provide the beat please contact me.
07814 779441.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163131 :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Re: ' Vince Alm ' Tonight

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:09 pm

If you want more supporters attending matches then leave your annoying drums outside. f**k me, what has this club become. Glad i don't bother any more (and i'm not a plastic who has given up since dropping from the Premiership, i'm a supporter who saw my first home game in 1977 but who doesn't enjoy the 'home' fixture experience any more).

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:14 pm

stevee1966 wrote:If you want more supporters attending matches then leave your annoying drums outside. f**k me, what has this club become. Glad i don't bother any more (and i'm not a plastic who has given up since dropping from the Premiership, i'm a supporter who saw my first home game in 1977 but who doesn't enjoy the 'home' fixture experience any more).

Give the guy some credit he's going out of his way to try and improve the atmosphere no need to get on the guys back

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:16 pm

get a team and manager who play with passion
bust a gut every game that will bring crowds back not a drum or banner

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:27 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
stevee1966 wrote:If you want more supporters attending matches then leave your annoying drums outside. f**k me, what has this club become. Glad i don't bother any more (and i'm not a plastic who has given up since dropping from the Premiership, i'm a supporter who saw my first home game in 1977 but who doesn't enjoy the 'home' fixture experience any more).

Give the guy some credit he's going out of his way to try and improve the atmosphere no need to get on the guys back

Fair play, Vince has always had the good of the club as his priority but if he (or the meeting group) comes up with ideas then they must also take on boatd fans reactions, both positive and negative. Otherwise these groups are representing no one - just following their own personal ideas.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:38 am

I'm all for improving the atmosphere but I fear this could turn into one massive cringe fest.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:34 am

A pity the club didn't buy the old Ninian Park pub and use it on match days as the Cardiff City Supporters pub.
Decorate the pub with club colours, pictures, etc , give CCSC members discount off beer and food ,etc ? . :bluescarf:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:59 am

stevee1966 wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:

Fair play, Vince has always had the good of the club as his priority but if he (or the meeting group) comes up with ideas then they must also take on boatd fans reactions, both positive and negative. Otherwise these groups are representing no one - just following their own personal ideas.

Spot on, I hate the idea of goal music

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:03 am

We could get cheerleaders and also have a Its a knockout competition would be a bit of fun before the game.
Someone with a big drum would also be a good idea and yes more songs and flags for when we score

Also cheap beer for the men and crisps for the kids would be nice
We would be back in the Premiership in no time but would have carry on this type of forward thinking to stay there not like the last time.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:04 am

Our club will never produce a good atmosphere whilst in the championship.
That's why I love watching Malaga as they only get 26000 with a full house hut the fans are so passionate.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBtmxYVeUw

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:13 am

The old supporters club house at back of canton stand, brings back memories.
Good on Vince for trying to do something, easy to knock him, but a pity a lot of us so called older supporters didn't get involved(me included). There is a big group of younger fans who want to become passionate, just no one to lead them, all they hear from older fans is moan moan moan .
Get the family stand buzzing, give them clappers, a flag, time to move forward.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:23 am

I'm afraid it's not a lack of new songs that are keeping people away. I know a few who no longer go, and I can honestly say none of them have mentioned singing as a reason for staying away. You need something happening on the pitch to stir the emotions of the crowd, and quality exciting football, a serious promotion push, and sensible stewarding would help get the supporters on their feet and in good singing voice. The bottom line is that we have'nt had much to sing about during the last 18 months, and Ninian Park was often quiet during our struggling days.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 am

Don't know if it's been mentioned but what if an area of the ground doesn't have your seat allocated and it's sit, stand where you want. This would give the chance for people who can't attend every game and don't own season tickets to have a ticket and be with their mates who may have tickets. Don't know if it will help the atmosphere but may help increase attendance

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:I'm afraid it's not a lack of new songs that are keeping people away. I know a few who no longer go, and I can honestly say none of them have mentioned singing as a reason for staying away. You need something happening on the pitch to stir the emotions of the crowd, and quality exciting football, a serious promotion push, and sensible stewarding would help get the supporters on their feet and in good singing voice. The bottom line is that we have'nt had much to sing about during the last 18 months, and Ninian Park was often quiet during our struggling days.

I totally agree. The Feel Good Factor (FGF) evaporated about 18 months ago & needs to return. That will only happen when things not only improve on the pitch, but also behind the scenes.
The meeting last night though sounds like it was a good positive start. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:00 am

I can't believe how many people still moan and complain about the atmosphere or the quality of football on the pitch for reasons not to attend games anymore. Pathetic excuses, you either support Cardiff City or you don't.

I've been supporting Cardiff since 1976 :old: and I'll never stop going because it's my club. I haven't always felt the buzz, mainly over the rebrand years but I'll never stop going and supporting the team I love.

I applaud Vince and everyone involved with trying to improve the atmosphere and they've come up with some great ideas. Very positive and a huge step forward. Well done all. :thumbup:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:17 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:I'm afraid it's not a lack of new songs that are keeping people away. I know a few who no longer go, and I can honestly say none of them have mentioned singing as a reason for staying away. You need something happening on the pitch to stir the emotions of the crowd, and quality exciting football, a serious promotion push, and sensible stewarding would help get the supporters on their feet and in good singing voice. The bottom line is that we have'nt had much to sing about during the last 18 months, and Ninian Park was often quiet during our struggling days.

Quote (Steve Zodiak): "The bottom line is that we haven't had much to sing about during the last 18 months, and Ninian Park was often quiet during our struggling days"

Spot on, Steve Zodiak! :thumbup:

Fans have certainly not had too much to sing about recently and whilst Ninian Park was an incredible atmosphere for the 'big' occasion, during the darker days (a couple of thousand at best in attendance :shock: ) it could be a cold, empty space with little or no atmosphere to speak of other than the smell of Bovril and the guy nearest you who'd had too much Brains Dark before the game! :laughing6:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:48 am

SENSIBLE STEWARDING - probably the most important factor of why it is so bad down there, get that sorted and no one will be afraid of raising the roof. The club needs to have guidance on what is and isn't acceptable if you are going to have 'ultras' or leaders getting the crowd going. They need to be clear to all fans that it is singing and atmosphere being created and that a leader or leaders can do what is acceptable to get the crowd going - like in other clubs abroad and palace.

If the club won't change their stewarding policy then its a waste of time - do the club realise and accept they are mostly to blame for the atmosphere?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:54 am

Can the club go down the route of getting say the bottom 15 rows of seatsa taken out and make that a standing area - bob bank style. So anything below the entrance to the stands is a terrace and above seats? I remember there was talk before of trying to apply to get this done?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:44 am

home fixtures have been crap since leaving NP - fact

keep your money for away days, better off :wave:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:07 pm

I think there are a lot of things which will bring fans back and a winning team playing with passion is the most important. However, we need one signing which shows the club's ambition and someone who will excite fans. We didn't have that over summer, but there are enough players we could take on loan, with a view to future signing. Even free agents like Nolan.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Cardiff Supporters Aiming to Re-establish Atmosphere

22/09/22

by Jamie Kemble

Cardiff Supporters Aiming to Re-establish Atmosphere

A supporters meeting was held at the Cardiff City Stadium on Monday evening to discuss the current atmosphere on matchday. A turbulent and somewhat unsuccessful couple of seasons has seen supporters disappear and the atmosphere subsequently fizzling out, Vince Alm hosted the meeting which aimed to re-establish the once famous atmosphere.

The Bluebirds supporters have looked to the likes of Crystal Palace for inspiration as they look to re-capture the Ninian Park spirit. Crystal Palace with the help of successful times on the field, have managed to make Selhurst Park a fortress with banners, drums, the odd megaphone and a number of topless supporters.

With inspiration from ‘European Ultras’, Selhurst Park has become a cauldron of noise whether the Eagles win, lose or draw. Another aspect of Selhurst Park (among other grounds) which Cardiff supporters are looking at is the infamous ‘goal music’. Palace use the iconic song “Glad All Over by Carl Perkins” while other clubs use songs like “Chelsea Dagger” and “Hi Ho Silver Lining”.

Many supporters oppose the idea of goal music, describing it as “cheesy” and “tacky” but there is a feeling that Cardiff City have to try something. There is no doubt that at some clubs, when done right, goal music does work and the need to get it right was reiterated at the meeting. Be sure to vote on whether you would like goal music or not at the bottom of the article.

Another thought put forward was the idea of a brass band or a set of drums, drums were voted as the favoured idea. Cardiff brought in a drum to a number of home games a couple of years back in order to inspire singing in the stands but it was only for a small run of games.

Drums can be a good idea to improve the atmosphere and again, it does work when its done right but when its done wrong it can prove annoying at times. Reading use a drum at the Madejski Stadium but when the singing stops, the drum does not and this often proves frustrating for some supporters.

Elsewhere, at the King Power Stadium (Leicester) drumming is done right, with a designated supporter, other fans get behind the drum and the atmosphere is created throughout the stadium.

Another idea was to introduce a megaphone to the stands, the idea is inspired by European supporters from the likes of Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid. A megaphone is given to one supporter who essentially leads the chants and makes sure the singing very rarely stops. The megaphone could be a good idea but supporters have to get behind the designated ‘chanter’.

One of the biggest ideas and perhaps the most feasible is to introduce large banners and flags, a number of flag designs were given to supporters at the meeting but the supporters club are open to ideas so if you can offer a design the be sure to contact Vince Alm.

The idea is to dress the Canton Stand in banners in a similar way to what many European and South American sides do. The Supporters Club have generously offered £1,000 to purchase banners and flags while club director Steve Borley has kindly offered to match that donation.

There were a number of other ideas discussed such as a ‘fanzone’ or designated pub for supporters to attend before and after the game, a supporters committee to regularly meet up and discuss new songs and ideas to improve the atmosphere, loyalty discounts and free tickets for schools (an idea which often helped fill up Ninian Park).

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:42 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Can the club go down the route of getting say the bottom 15 rows of seatsa taken out and make that a standing area - bob bank style. So anything below the entrance to the stands is a terrace and above seats? I remember there was talk before of trying to apply to get this done?

Wouldn`t it be better to have standing towards the back rather than in front so it doesn`t block the view of those sitting behind? Or just have a central block or two of standing front to back with sitting either side towards the corner flags?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:46 pm

billy ronson wrote:A pity the club didn't buy the old Ninian Park pub and use it on match days as the Cardiff City Supporters pub.
Decorate the pub with club colours, pictures, etc , give CCSC members discount off beer and food ,etc ? . :bluescarf:

The problem with that would be the huge cost of both buying it and running it at a loss. The pub would simply not be sustainable if reliant on income from 23 home League games and a maybe couple of cup fixtures.

But a tented fanzone that could be taken down in the close season could work.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:11 pm

No DRUMS.

No PLASTIC CLAP STICKS (or whatever they're called)

No MEGAPHONES

No GOAL MUSIC

FCS, this is Cardiff City not some USA sports team. We'll generate our own atmosphere once the football is attractive not this ponderous, non dynamic, dull, and quite frankly boring fare.

What will bring back the atmosphere is fans in numbers, and that can only be good football, and not the dross that we've put up with since Slade arrived.

So the answer is obvious. :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout:

ps. It was always going to be an issue, rattling around n this new stadium once the crowds dipped.