Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IF WALES DRAW SUNDAY

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:46 pm

and Belgium lose to Cyprus, on a head to head basis and not taking into account any goal difference, would wales qualify for France ??. because Belgium would have to win there final 2 games to surpass wales and one of them is against Israel. am sure the head to head process decides placings before goal difference, might be wrong. any geniuses on here tonight that would know :lol:

Re: IF WALES DRAW SUNDAY

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:04 am

Probably a draw could be enough if everyrhing goes our way, I think we will give Israel a hiding though, the stadium is going to be rocking, even better than the Belgium game. Will we see a pitch invasion I wonder :laughing6:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:09 am

mr'mogreenz wrote:Probably a draw could be enough if everyrhing goes our way, I think we will give Israel a hiding though, the stadium is going to be rocking, even better than the Belgium game. Will we see a pitch invasion I wonder :laughing6:

would be happy with a draw m8, but this is wales, i need to have it confirmed in a court of law before i believe it :lol: . cant wait for Sunday, leaving Brighton at 5.30am and hope to get indoors by 2am Monday. Cardiff gonna be bouncing :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:32 pm

With the top 2 teams automatically qualifying then a draw against Israel on Sunday and a home win against Andorra in the final game would guarantee Wales a place in the finals with 21 points as group runners up as only Belgium would be able to better 21 points.

To guarantee we qualify as group winners, we would need more than 23 points and our most likely way of doing that would be to beat both Israel and Andorra at home and get a draw in Bosnia - well within our capabilities based on our goal scoring form so far and our watertight defence! :old:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:55 pm

If I've worked it out correctly, a draw this Sunday would guarantee us minimum of the play offs. We would then need a point, or Israel to drop 2 points in October to secure automatic qualification.

You are right that after points, it is the head-to-head results between the teams on the same points which determines the position. As long as we don't lose by 4 goals or more on Sunday, we will have a better head-to-head record than Belgium, Israel and Cyprus

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:01 pm

With the top 2 teams automatically qualifying then a draw against Israel on Sunday and a home win against Andorra in the final game would guarantee Wales a place in the finals with 21 points as group runners up as only Belgium would be able to better 21 points.

To guarantee we qualify as group winners, we would need more than 23 points and our most likely way of doing that would be to beat both Israel and Andorra at home and get a draw in Bosnia - well within our capabilities based on our goal scoring form so far and our watertight defence! :old:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:12 pm

blemmy wrote:With the top 2 teams automatically qualifying then a draw against Israel on Sunday and a home win against Andorra in the final game would guarantee Wales a place in the finals with 21 points as group runners up as only Belgium would be able to better 21 points.

Would you mind saying that one more time to clarify please?

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
blemmy wrote:With the top 2 teams automatically qualifying then a draw against Israel on Sunday and a home win against Andorra in the final game would guarantee Wales a place in the finals with 21 points as group runners up as only Belgium would be able to better 21 points.

Would you mind saying that one more time to clarify please?

:lol:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:28 pm

trentuniblue wrote:If I've worked it out correctly, a draw this Sunday would guarantee us minimum of the play offs. We would then need a point, or Israel to drop 2 points in October to secure automatic qualification.

You are right that after points, it is the head-to-head results between the teams on the same points which determines the position. As long as we don't lose by 4 goals or more on Sunday, we will have a better head-to-head record than Belgium, Israel and Cyprus

so a draw Sunday and Belgium not beating Cyprus, never mind losing. which i originally thought, would get us to France. :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:42 pm

inthebowls wrote:and Belgium lose to Cyprus, on a head to head basis and not taking into account any goal difference, would wales qualify for France ??. because Belgium would have to win there final 2 games to surpass wales and one of them is against Israel. am sure the head to head process decides placings before goal difference, might be wrong. any geniuses on here tonight that would know :lol:

Better off just winning.

In 1993 I remember France needed 1 point from two home games - Israel and Bulgaria.
They ended up losing both and not qualifying....

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:52 pm

23 points will win the group as we have a better record in the head to head games against Belgium.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:57 pm

I'm sure I read that it's certain we've already qualified for the play-offs already.

You can also qualify automatically in third by being the best third placed teams, if that's correct? So we're more or less there anyway. Norway are currently the best third placed team on 13 points, so even if we finished third, we'd probably more or less qualify via being the best third placed team.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Iceland, Slovakia, England and Portuga are Assured of at least third place (and play-offs), but may still qualify directly as one of the top two teams or as the best third-placed team.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Hope we can win. If so we can afford to slip up against Bosnia, who are a good side, they just never started in this group.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:45 pm

One more win v Andorra will see us qualify. Two wins will see us win the group. Bosnia game a bonus.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:44 pm

inthebowls wrote:and Belgium lose to Cyprus, on a head to head basis and not taking into account any goal difference, would wales qualify for France ??. because Belgium would have to win there final 2 games to surpass wales and one of them is against Israel. am sure the head to head process decides placings before goal difference, might be wrong. any geniuses on here tonight that would know :lol:

Court of law :) safe journey down sam, see u in Brighton in 4 weeks :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:50 pm

inthebowls wrote:
trentuniblue wrote:If I've worked it out correctly, a draw this Sunday would guarantee us minimum of the play offs. We would then need a point, or Israel to drop 2 points in October to secure automatic qualification.

so a draw Sunday and Belgium not beating Cyprus, never mind losing. which i originally thought, would get us to France. :ayatollah:

Assuming we drew, Cyprus isn't the problem...we would need Israel to bring another point

Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:29 am

LutonBluebird wrote:

Court of law :) safe journey down sam, see u in Brighton in 4 weeks :bluescarf: :bluebird:

cu soon jules m8. be top giggle having a saturday game on my patch for a change :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:27 am

Hopefully we will qualify this Sunday in our capital city, no better place :thumbright:

Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:33 am

Pitch invasion could see us face a fine or deduction.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:20 pm

trentuniblue wrote:
inthebowls wrote:

Assuming we drew, Cyprus isn't the problem...we would need Israel to bring another point

I meant to say drop another point :lol:

Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:50 am

My bad, a draw from us, and I think Belgium could even draw and we still qualify. I keep forgetting Belgium play Israel in the last game!

Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:03 am

mr'mogreenz wrote:Probably a draw could be enough if everyrhing goes our way, I think we will give Israel a hiding though, the stadium is going to be rocking, even better than the Belgium game. Will we see a pitch invasion I wonder :laughing6:

I can't see it topping Belgium unless we get a goal early on! people are guna be too anxious and there was lower expectations against Belgium