Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea C links are always going to be a problem for Cardiff

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:54 am

Wales boss Chris Coleman admits some fans will NEVER accept him despite Euro 2016 success

Thursday 3rd Sept 2015

BY JAMES NURSEY

Manager says his Swansea City links are always going to be a problem for Cardiff City fans and that others dislike him because he isn't Gary Speed

Coleman before the Gary Speed Memorial International Match between Wales and Costa Rica: Coleman has worked wonders with Wales

Chris Coleman admits some Wales fans will always hate him despite taking the country to the brink of Euro 2016, writes James Nursey in Nicosia.

Unbeaten Wales top Group B ahead of Thursday’s crunch clash in Cyprus as they aim to make their first major finals since 1958.

But boss Coleman, 45, says succeeding the late Gary Speed, who committed suicide in November 2011, has been very challenging.

He reckons some Cardiff City fans still loathe him after playing for their arch-rivals Swansea City - his hometown club.

Coleman, in charge since January 2012, said: “A lot of people didn’t want me or like me. Gary was very popular and when I arrived here it was almost like, ‘We should have got him. We don’t like you.’

Gary Speed (Pic:Getty)Tragic loss: Gary Speed was popular with fans
“I think there is also the Swansea–Cardiff thing, so a lot of people will never like me.

"We have been to one or two places where there has been a element within the establishment who have been looking at me as if I have stolen their children or something.

“That is because of geography, and some people will never accept me. It’s quite sad.

“I get the Swansea–Cardiff thing. I played in the fixture and loved it but when I played for Wales and played with [Cardiff stars] Jason Perry or Nathan Blake I never saw them as blue and white and me as black and white.

“We were playing for Wales and it was all about getting a result. But some people will never ever deal with that and that is a shame for them.”

But if Wales reach France next summer, Coleman plans to stay on a new contract for a shot at World Cup qualifying.

He admitted: “If we qualify for France there is a much better possibility.”

Re: Swansea C links are always going to be a problem for Car

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:59 am

I haven't heard anyone say this for a while. Most people I have spoken to lately have given Coleman credit and admitted they (including me) were wrong to doubt him at the start. Seems a strange thing to bring up now when everything is so positive.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:58 am

Because he's a cock.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:14 am

hes a good honest manager, and in the past he might be right, but at the wales v belgium game , there was nothing but great support for the fella and the team. Best i have ever heard at a wales game to be honest. never heard any murmer of the cardiff swansea rivalry or newport and wrexham.. just pure passion for the welsh team..Im cardiff through and through and i can admit Ashley williams is class and so is neil taylor. Come on coleman feel the love, it doesnt happen very often in south wales.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:17 am

stevee1966 wrote:Because he's a cock.

Is that profoundly inane statement coming from personal experience, fella?? :? :oops:

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:55 am

I dont know why this is getting dragged up again.

You'd swear someone in the welsh media wants to cause disharmony at Welsh games.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:38 pm

I have never liked him, and it's not because of a Swansea Cardiff thing, it's because when ever he does an interview he is rude, he looks away from the person asking questions, starts talking stops the continues and looks away.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:45 pm

His comments are ridiculous. I was personally not a fan of his but so far this campaign he has certainly proven me wrong.

I didn't want him as Wales manager after Speed personally because in his past few jobs he'd been an utter failure everywhere he's been, bar Fulham when the best you could say is that he did ok.

The last campaign was utterly abysmal and unacceptable given the players we have, Speed had shown us how good we could be but we lost to Serbia by an aggregate score of 9-1, we lost against Macedonia FFS. That said, since that competition ended he has turned it around and has proven his worth and ability thus far, perhaps with hindsight the players were still affected by Speed's death.

I don't know why this has come up now but it certainly shouldn't be spoken about when we are on the brink of something very special

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:55 pm

i didnt want him to get the job,not cos of his links with swansea but cos he was a shit manager i thought but hes proven me wrong,seems that spell in spain taught him a thing or two,fairplay to him, and id bang his mrs lol

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:35 pm

bluebird04 wrote:I have never liked him, and it's not because of a Swansea Cardiff thing, it's because when ever he does an interview he is rude, he looks away from the person asking questions, starts talking stops the continues and looks away.

What the actual f**k are you on about? What a load of f*cking nonsense!

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:36 pm

hotwings wrote:I haven't heard anyone say this for a while. Most people I have spoken to lately have given Coleman credit and admitted they (including me) were wrong to doubt him at the start. Seems a strange thing to bring up now when everything is so positive.

He's obviously been asked a question, don't think he's the type of guy who'd actively bring it up.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:37 pm

stevee1966 wrote:Because he's a cock.

And you're a c**t :thumbup:

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:I have never liked him, and it's not because of a Swansea Cardiff thing, it's because when ever he does an interview he is rude, he looks away from the person asking questions, starts talking stops the continues and looks away.

What the actual f**k are you on about? What a load of f*cking nonsense!

Any interview he looks away from the person asking him a question. He stops midway through answering. Looks away again, tthen continues. It just comes across as rude. But I will apologise, I didn't realise me thinking he was rude was have upset you to the point of a response like that.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Bunk wrote:His comments are ridiculous. I was personally not a fan of his but so far this campaign he has certainly proven me wrong.

I didn't want him as Wales manager after Speed personally because in his past few jobs he'd been an utter failure everywhere he's been, bar Fulham when the best you could say is that he did ok.

The last campaign was utterly abysmal and unacceptable given the players we have, Speed had shown us how good we could be but we lost to Serbia by an aggregate score of 9-1, we lost against Macedonia FFS. That said, since that competition ended he has turned it around and has proven his worth and ability thus far, perhaps with hindsight the players were still affected by Speed's death.

I don't know why this has come up now but it certainly shouldn't be spoken about when we are on the brink of something very special

Why are his comments 'ridiculous'? There are obviously people who will never accept him. 2blue is one, indeed there are some on this very thread.

Maybe the reason for the last qualification campaign being such a bad one was the hangover from what happened with Speed. Have people ever thought of that?

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:44 pm

Slade can take inspiration from Coleman unpopular choice but proving people wrong. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:49 pm

This really is wrong timing to make such a statement.

This will be used for ammo with the Jacks like like to gloat and for the Cardiff fan that holds grudges against the Jacks. A time when we are calling to be united this is something we just do not want to read about.

Not very clever by Coleman.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Bunk wrote:His comments are ridiculous. I was personally not a fan of his but so far this campaign he has certainly proven me wrong.

Why are his comments 'ridiculous'? There are obviously people who will never accept him. 2blue is one, indeed there are some on this very thread.

Maybe the reason for the last qualification campaign being such a bad one was the hangover from what happened with Speed. Have people ever thought of that?

His comments are ridiculous because we are about to play a massive game that if we win will ensure we are on the brink of making history and he should be better than responding to this rubbish in such detail, his responses could create divisions when there should be none. The whole of Wales is behind him and the team tonight and for him to suggest otherwise is what I find 'ridiculous'.

Regarding your comment "Maybe the reason for the last qualification campaign being such a bad one was the hangover from what happened with Speed. Have people ever thought of that?" have I not already said that with my comment "perhaps with hindsight the players were still affected by Speed's death."?

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm afraid he's right, i don't like him because he's a jack b*stard.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:18 pm

This is media-driven and probably taken way out of context. The quotes may be accurate, but what were the questions and the lead-up to that moment?

The reporters who publish this drivel are just hell-bent on causing negativity and I don't but it for a moment.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care who he played for club-wise. He is a passionate Welshman, leading his side to remarkable results lately. Nothing should detract from that.

C'mon Wales!!!

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:I'm afraid he's right, i don't like him because he's a jack b*stard.

I'm afraid you're both wrong. Blinkered, bigoted views have no place in Wales supporters, especially when the guy is obviously doing such a brilliant job. Grow up!

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:49 pm

On International week , everyone should try and put club rivalry away (including wearing club colours at the games) These games only happen about 6 or 7 times a year so it still leaves 45 weeks a year or so to hate each other :lol: .
We are above England in the seedings for the first time !!! There is something to celebrate !!

We are on the brink of achieving something for the first time since 1976 !! Yes 1976 not 1958 !!
We reached the European Championship quarter-final against Yugoslavia but only 4 teams got through to the European Championship Finals in those days!!

So lets support the players and manager regardless of club present or past and get to France next year !!!

Looking forward to tonight's game and Sunday's game could have an electric atmosphere !!!!!!

Wales,Wales,Wales !!!!!

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:53 pm

Mr Shed wrote:I dont know why this is getting dragged up again.

You'd swear someone in the welsh media wants to cause disharmony at Welsh games.

They do.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:03 pm

It still amazes me how many bigotted fans use the uneducated line of "he has been a continual failure in the past".... Where exactly has he been a failure?

He "failed" at a sinking ship that was Coventry. The rest of his career has been a glittering success, and in a multitude of leagues and countried - no question about it. Now also Wales' most successful manager of all time.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:51 pm

Wiltshireblue wrote:It still amazes me how many bigotted fans use the uneducated line of "he has been a continual failure in the past".... Where exactly has he been a failure?

He "failed" at a sinking ship that was Coventry. The rest of his career has been a glittering success, and in a multitude of leagues and countried - no question about it. Now also Wales' most successful manager of all time.

I wouldn't say he's been a glittering success, he's a decent manager who gets my backing whilst in charge of Wales.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Bluebird_87 wrote:
Wiltshireblue wrote:It still amazes me how many bigotted fans use the uneducated line of "he has been a continual failure in the past".... Where exactly has he been a failure?

I wouldn't say he's been a glittering success, he's a decent manager who gets my backing whilst in charge of Wales.

Well he broke all kinds if records when he was at Larissa who set up road blocks when he stepped down in order to protest about his departure. He kept Fulham in the Premier League even after Al Fayed was decimating the team by selling all the stars and not replacing them and he was also a success at Real Sociadad. Not to mention being the most successful manager in Welsh International history getting us into the top 10 in the world. Thats glittering enough to tell the gradkids id have thought.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Wiltshireblue wrote:
Bluebird_87 wrote:

Well he broke all kinds if records when he was at Larissa who set up road blocks when he stepped down in order to protest about his departure. He kept Fulham in the Premier League even after Al Fayed was decimating the team by selling all the stars and not replacing them and he was also a success at Real Sociadad. Not to mention being the most successful manager in Welsh International history getting us into the top 10 in the world. Thats glittering enough to tell the gradkids id have thought.

I stand by my first statement :ayatollah:. He gets my backing, don't think he's been a glittering success.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Bluebird_87 wrote:
I stand by my first statement :ayatollah:. He gets my backing, don't think he's been a glittering success.

Well my statement was a list of factual achievements. Needless to say thats stands alone.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Wiltshireblue wrote:
Bluebird_87 wrote:

Well my statement was a list of factual achievements. Needless to say thats stands alone.

:notworthy: all hail roathy.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Again you can call me names all you like.

All hail Coleman.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:37 pm

Wiltshireblue wrote:Again you can call me names all you like.

All hail Coleman.

He gets my support. That's what any manager wants. He doesn't need this fictitious story of road blocks stopping him from leaving :lol: he's a jack, I get it. You want to ram it down people's throats