Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Why I brought unknown Idriss Saadi to the Bluebirds '

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Cardiff City boss Russell Slade: Why I brought unknown Idriss Saadi to the Bluebirds

WEDNESDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2015

BY TERRY PHILLIPS

The Bluebirds boss says that Saadi was being scouted as a potential target for some time before making the switch a day before the deadline

Idriss Saadi, Cardiff City’s new centre-forward, was signed after long, exhaustive checks on his ability, form and fitness says manager Russell Slade.

The Bluebirds boss outlined how club scouts watched Saadi play for a long time before the decision was made to make a move for the French-born striker.

“He has been on our list of possibles for a good while, watched and watched,” said Slade, who has gone through hours of video footage and read reports from club scouts on Saadi and other players on the list of forwards.

“We sent people to watch him and it is clear he is that typical number nine - strong, powerful, technically good. He can also nick a goal and had a bit of pace to play off the shoulder of defenders.

“It was difficult while we were assessing Idriss because he was injured at the end of last season and it was important we were certain he is okay.

In profile: Who is Idriss Saadi?

“Our checks have been in-depth, we left nothing out. Our medical people identified that he needs a little time to reach the fitness standards we set our players. That work has already started, but he won’t be thrown in at the deep end until he is ready.

“With Kenwyne Jones leading our attack we do not need to rush him in.”

Saadi knows he must fight for his place in attack even though Eoin Doyle has signed for Preston North End on loan for the rest of this season.

Jones, Joe Mason, Federico Macheda and Alex Revell are all competing for a starting place and Saadi, will be given time to adjust from playing French football to the physical challenge of the Championship.

Irish striker Eoin Doyle has signed for Preston on loan until the end of this season, although Cardiff have an option to recall him in January if they want to.

Eoin Doyle is looking forward to teaming up with Daniel Johnson once again this season.

Preston had offered £900,000 to buy Doyle, but Slade said: “We weren’t keen to let him leave on a permanent deal.

“He has the chance to play regular first team football and remains a Cardiff City asset.”

Rhys Healey, who has scored five goals in three Under-21 League matches for Cardiff this season, has signed for Scottish Premier League Dundee on loan until January.

“He will be tested in the SPL and I’m really pleased with that,” says Slade. “He was able to play League One football on loan last season (for Colchester) and now he faces a different challenge and that’s great.

Spanish striker Javi Guerra was sold to La Liga club Rayo Vallecano for an undisclosed sum, while Etien Velikonja and Filip Kiss went on loan to Lierse (Belgium) and Haugesund (Norway) respectively.

Perhaps the most pleasing factor from the transfer window which ended on Tuesday was that Cardiff rejected enquiries and bids for goalkeeper David Marshall, Kenwyne Jones, Craig Noone and Joe Mason.

“I am delighted all of our key players have stayed,” says Slade. “Cardiff City stuck with it and showed the ambition there is within the club from top to bottom.”

Re: ' Why I brought unknown Idriss Saadi to the Bluebirds '

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Mason, by 3 mins :lol: :ayatollah:
For once :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162375 :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Mason, by 3 mins :lol: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol:
Well done Annis :ayatollah:

I am confident he will turn out o be a good find. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Santa Ponsa Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Mason, by 3 mins :lol: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol:
Well done Annis :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: